test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

there's brave, there's stupid, there's insane and then there's my cleric companion

nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
is there any special reason my cleric thinks he's a tank and is deliberatly bringing herself in danger? if you want to make encounters/bosses more difficult, im sure there is a better way - but seriously - during the war troll boss (which isnt really difficult anyway) my cleric all the time run up to the boss - standing directly in front of him - every time, and getting killed...she was not running towards me or close to me, even if i was somewhere completly different -she was runnign close up to the boss and started healing me - W T F. She doesnt use skills that require her to be close - i mean, the companion ai is kinda useless...
Post edited by nemesis788450 on

Comments

• maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because the cleric isn't a dedicated healer - she has a heal and an attack so she WILL attack, and the heal will get her aggro on adds - it is working as intended.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Because the cleric isn't a dedicated healer - she has a heal and an attack so she WILL attack, and the heal will get her aggro on adds - it is working as intended.

Her heal is ranged, her attack is ranged. No need for her to run in close.
  • phreddphredd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Ya it's difficult to understand simple english I know but the compaint is not healer agro but the healer thinking it's a melee fighter and not using range but running up and punching bosses. It's particularly bad on bosses with frontal ae's. Hope that clears things up for you and good luck with those remedial english lessons.
  • datemperdatemper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The AI knows clerics are mob magnets and she'll likely die,why prolong the inevitable. =)
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All the companions have been taking lessons in battle tactics from Derpfender (Lava is for swimming!).
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    datemper wrote: »
    The AI knows clerics are mob magnets and she'll likely die,why prolong the inevitable. =)

rofl good one...
  • trixiefantrixiefan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't you order around boffs in STO why is that not in here?
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trixiefan wrote: »
    Couldn't you order around boffs in STO why is that not in here?

The idea being that companions are companions and not slaves nor pets. That's why there are no commands. At least that was the reason given to us. I think it's just an RP way of saying, "That's not in the budget."

I agree though and this is all on the devs radar. AI across the board needs work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    datemper wrote: »

...have any tips on how to clean up the coffee I just spat all over my keyboard laughing?
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • maximumsquidmaximumsquid Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Companion AI is some of the worst I've seen

They stand still for long periods of time in full view of attackable enemies, but do nothing

My Wayward Wizard will jump off high ground to get into melee range of a dozen foes and usually explodes
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the point the OP is making is that since the cleric companion has a RANGED attack it makes no sense for them to go toe-to-toe with the boss.
  • chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The reason companions run into melee is so that you can position for combat advantage, all the companions seem to be coded like this, hell I've seen the Wizard run into melee range too.

Its GREAT when your soloing away and killing trash mobs, for dungeons and bosses its freaking tragic.

Its doubtful that Cryptic will give us a backoff type command for pets (way too much additional coding for pet control) so your just gonna have to accept that Companions were not designed to fight *bosses* or Dungeon encounters. Eventually people will move to the augment pets for Dungeons and this will be less of an issue, for now, just accept that your companion will spend most of a dungeon run kissing floor.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chonir01 wrote: »
    The reason companions run into melee is so that you can position for combat advantage, all the companions seem to be coded like this, hell I've seen the Wizard run into melee range too.

Are you sure about this - that you can only get combat advantage when there is another character in melee range of a mob? Because this would mean that two ranged characters attacking an enemy from opposite sides would never get a combat advantage on a mob unless it was melee and ran up to them.

In any case, Cryptic should disable this behaviour at least with the wizard and cleric hirelings. Companion CC/DPS/healing is zero from a dead companions, and that is exactly what happens with this system, ESPECIALLY in the harder fights where they would be most useful.
  • rsheartsrshearts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Yeah in other forms of Beta I was one of the people who begged for a close/medium/far command (or "request," if-you-will) that would tell companions how far away they should remain from you.
  • chonir01chonir01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Are you sure about this - that you can only get combat advantage when there is another character in melee range of a mob? Because this would mean that two ranged characters attacking an enemy from opposite sides would never get a combat advantage on a mob unless it was melee and ran up to them.

In any case, Cryptic should disable this behaviour at least with the wizard and cleric hirelings. Companion CC/DPS/healing is zero from a dead companions, and that is exactly what happens with this system, ESPECIALLY in the harder fights where they would be most useful.

I'm sure, on my GF i use the Cleric companion and when doing my daily foundry missions I actually knock mobs towards her if shes too slow in order to get combat advantage. Technically she does not have to be in melee range .. about 15' or so gives me the CA. Yes though pets DEFF give CA.
  • joka3ljoka3l Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah the cleric got so bad the hirer the level I went up the faster she died, so now I am using my Phoenix instead at 60 as my support pet since at least he can burn things and stay alive a little longer. I just have to use more pots as a GF :(
    Khal Drogo
    Sacrifice
    Guardian Fighter