test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I would probably spend a lot of money on this game if the prices were halved.

Comments

• madmike82508madmike82508 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I think the prices are high do what others have done, give 10%-30% discounts on items each weekend or some day of the week, people love to THINK they are getting a good deal! Look its on sale Instead of using 20 dollars i can use 40 and get more now, rather than 30 dollars for just amount or companion I think i will pass....That's just how the people i know are thinking that they are not really getting much for their money. Awesome game though!!
  • scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    zuluzuluto wrote: »
    Oh, I know they are....it's just I have this fallacy of believing you can convince them that they are and to change their ways.
    Unfortunately, for most of them, they never learn or they learn through the school of hard knocks.

you don't agree with the prices the company has determined, that's fine, I have a few titles I'm in the same boat on, but who the #$% are you to tell people how to feel about and how to spend the money they worked for?

did someone die and make you the CPA of the boards? then you assume the expense drops people below the poverty line...not every has your financial situation or tiny T-rex arms.
  • zuluzulutozuluzuluto Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2013
    you don't agree with the prices the company has determined, that's fine, I have a few titles I'm in the same boat on, but who the #$% are you to tell people how to feel about and how to spend the money they worked for?

did someone die and make you the CPA of the boards? then you assume the expense drops people below the poverty line...not every has your financial situation or tiny T-rex arms.

Where did I tell you not to spend it?
    I didnt.
    I even congratulated you on your spiffy mount.
    But I do reserve the right to laugh uncontrollably at the idiocy of others. You're even allowed to laugh back at me and call me an old codger with porridge for brains if you are so inclined. I promise you, you wont hurt my feelings. I was raised in the age of stick and stones breaks my bones but words can never hurt me.
    You can also make use of my signature, it doesnt go where you think it goes.
    If I havent offended you today....dont worry!!!....there's always tomorrow. Of course, you could also go to here for all I care.
  • nethemeanethemea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edit: ebil forums ate my post, and i do not fee like writing it agai.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    riven84 wrote: »
    Congrats, you didn't understand what I said at all. Comprehensive reading, a lost art.

If you'd actually read my post with any sort of comprehension, you'd have understood that I was making the argument that we cannot know whether or not this model is making PWE decent money, or whether or not a model with more generous pricing would end up making them more money.

I did read your post with comprehension. If you wrote it with any elaboration or articulation...

So basically you're here to overstate the obvious, and do so in a glib and poorly articulated fashion. Good contribution, except for the part where anyone with any real comprehension, can look at existing games and see them thrive on different payment plans and sales methods then put two and two together and figure out that this game's zen shop and AD fixation is intrusive and insulting.

But hey, its easier to ignore every point I made, in favor of pretending I missed some valuable point you never made, when it turns out all you're doing here is saying "we dun know nuffin". Great. Really well said.

Correction, YOU don't know anything.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No one is telling you what to spend your money on. Only telling you you're a fool for dumping 260 dollars on a free game. I mean way to take advantage of that lack of a subscription fee, by paying enough money to buy an entire gaming console and games. And you STILL are expected to use the cash shop for end game enchants, and extra bag space. That's how little Cryptic and PWE respects your money. You can pay more money than an entire PS3/XBox 360, and they still have the nerve, to expect you to continue to shell out money.

You're free to buy whatever you like, just don't expect everyone to respect your purchase.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well I dont think they are gonna lower the prices in the near future, but if they do lower the prices though they should give more stuff to those who have already paid full price
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    I did read your post with comprehension. If you wrote it with any elaboration or articulation...

So basically you're here to overstate the obvious, and do so in a glib and poorly articulated fashion. Good contribution, except for the part where anyone with any real comprehension, can look at existing games and see them thrive on different payment plans and sales methods then put two and two together and figure out that this game's zen shop and AD fixation is intrusive and insulting.

But hey, its easier to ignore every point I made, in favor of pretending I missed some valuable point you never made, when it turns out all you're doing here is saying "we dun know nuffin". Great. Really well said.

Correction, YOU don't know anything.

Really, so you're saying you have access to PWE's financial reports and Cryptic's C-Store and AD/Zen sale figures for the last week?

Cause that's the only way you can say with a 100% certainty that this pricing model isn't making Cryptic any money. Anything else is speculation and hyperbole.
  • masochist33masochist33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am just throwing my voice in there that I agree the prices are too high...so high in fact that I don't actually even know how expensive things are...after seeing that bags and horses for ONE character is the equivalent of a new game...I have zero interest to even look at the zen shop
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Really, so you're saying you have access to PWE's financial reports and Cryptic's C-Store and AD/Zen sale figures for the last week?

Cause that's the only way you can say with a 100% certainty that this pricing model is making Cryptic any money. Anything else is speculation and hyperbole.

Pointed something out to you......
    And nobody is saying that they arent making money on this. They most certainly are, my contention is that they are gouging prices and customers, and it's a short term cash grab instead of a long term customer relationship. And the track record of PWE seems to support this.
    If I havent offended you today....dont worry!!!....there's always tomorrow. Of course, you could also go to here for all I care.
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »

Cause that's the only way you can say with a 100% certainty that this pricing model isn't making Cryptic any money. Anything else is speculation and hyperbole.

Last time a saw a strawman this big he was off to see a man about a brain.
    No, I'm not saying they aren't making any money with this system. But let me ask you, how many people do you se wearing zen shop clothing? I've yet to see any. and you'd think spending so much on clothes they'd never take that **** off.

I never said they aren't making money, I questioned someone else claiming that they were making more money, as an argument against lowering the prices, as if lower prices were some kind of risk.

If this system is so great, why is it when someone posted the calculations for end game enchanting, and it came out to $210 dollars for one enchantment, and posted proof, the moderators here deleted the post?

Anyone ANYONE, with even an ounce of consumer savvy recognizes cheap cash grabs when they see them, unless you've convinced yourself to love every aspect of this game unconditionally.

Cryptic has a history of greed.
    PWE has an even bigger history of greed.

This game has the most intrusive cash shop I've ever seen, with NPC regularly announcing that they take AD, and every other window featuring a constant reminder of the zen shop.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    No one is telling you what to spend your money on. Only telling you you're a fool for dumping 260 dollars on a free game. I mean way to take advantage of that lack of a subscription fee, by paying enough money to buy an entire gaming console and games. And you STILL are expected to use the cash shop for end game enchants, and extra bag space. That's how little Cryptic and PWE respects your money. You can pay more money than an entire PS3/XBox 360, and they still have the nerve, to expect you to continue to shell out money.

You're free to buy whatever you like, just don't expect everyone to respect your purchase.

I DID TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE NO FEE...then after about 4 hours, i bought in as I like the product.

I'm a fool for supporting a product I would like to be a success, if people don't support it, THEN THERE WILL BE NO GAME TO SPEAK OF.

When the game tanks, I suppose people like you / the person I was going back and forth with could be blamed since you didn't support it as all you wanted to do was mooch off a free product. but you're a Guardian founder, so this can't be the case with you.

so silly them for releasing a game they hope to be profitable...i swear, it seems like people think gaming companies are Non-profit organizations / charities and they make video games simply because they have nothing better to do with their time. then foolish me for not spending that cash on 7 year old hardware in your example to play 7 year old games...use this statement when they release the new consoles at $500 a pop, then this arguement, well couldn't be used.

you say "expected" as if you are being FORCED to buy anything from them, you're not.

People complain over monthly subs
    people complain over p2w
    people complain over f2p
    people complain over microtransactions
    people complain, period. no company will ever be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

my issue wasn't with what was said, moreso how it was said. simply because whatshisface disagrees with people purchasing packages or whatever the case may be, doesn't give him the right to call people idiots, claiming "OHHHH I made my mistakes, harharhar now you make yours"....it's not a mistake if the person who paid for it is enjoying it, I see plenty of guardian founders riding their horses in game, and I've seen quite a few heros on spiders as well.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone ANYONE, with even an ounce of consumer savvy recognizes cheap cash grabs when they see them, unless you've convinced yourself to love every aspect of this game unconditionally.

Cryptic has a history of greed.
    PWE has an even bigger history of greed.

This game has the most intrusive cash shop I've ever seen, with NPC regularly announcing that they take AD, and every other window featuring a constant reminder of the zen shop.

So knowing it was a "cash grab" and that Cryptic and PWE have "histories of greed" you are still playing the game? And bought a Guardian pack on top of it all? Not sure it computes.

The only NPC I can remember announcing that they take AD is the one by the market in Protectors Enclave. Which I am seldom even near. I also don't see the constant reminders on every other window for the zen shop. Maybe I'm just opening the wrong windows.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Last time a saw a strawman this big he was off to see a man about a brain.
    No, I'm not saying they aren't making any money with this system. But let me ask you, how many people do you se wearing zen shop clothing? I've yet to see any. and you'd think spending so much on clothes they'd never take that **** off.

I haven't seen any either. But you're being very selective about that, and it's because otherwise you have no point.

I've seen plenty of Z-Store pets. Mounts I can't tell the difference between the Z-Store horses and the others, so forget that for a second. Profession packs are selling pretty well, judging by the rapidly deflating prices on the AH. And of course, the keys. Yeah, they're selling a ton of keys.

And even some people who think they're priced too high admit to buying a bag or two.

All in all, it sounds like they're doing just fine to me.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    ...it's not a mistake if the person who paid for it is enjoying it,

9 out of 10 crack addicts agree with this sentiment.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Just remember the next time you enjoy a purchase that you're a crack addict. The mental gymnastics involved in this thread is astounding.
    edited May 2013

polled many crack addicts?
    edited May 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    Just remember the next you enjoy a purchase that you're a crack addict. The mental gymnastics involved in this thread is astounding.
    You act like I havent already learned this life lesson...decades ago. Just because it feels good, doesnt justify doing it.
    polled many crack addicts?
    Known more than I care..well, crack heads in the 90's, meth heads 2000's....but they have the same mentality, if it feels good, there is nothing wrong with it.

If you cant see the fallacy in that sentiment...not my responsibility to raise you.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You act like I have already learned this life lesson...decades ago. Just because it feels good, doesnt justify doing it.

I've learned many life lessons over the years. One is to ignore drama queens where there is no drama.

The corollary to your bit of wisdom is that just because you enjoy something doesn't make it bad. You're trying to moralize an amoral situation. But please do keep inventing special insight. It's entertaining.
    edited May 2013
    You act like I have already learned this life lesson...decades ago. Just because it feels good, doesnt justify doing it.

Known more than I care..well, crack heads in the 90's, meth heads 2000's....but they have the same mentality, if it feels good, there is nothing wrong with it.

If you cant see the fallacy in that sentiment...not my responsibility to raise you.

there's no fallacy in it, you paid for your car to not enjoy it? you only purchase things out of necessity? you don't have entertainment or do you not spend money on entertainment.

using extreme examples like drugs, well that will suit your point, but it's not really the right arguement.

people like sex too, maybe they should stop having that since it makes them feel good? so all things that make a person feel good are bad?

I'm done with this thread, the people who think they're all worldly and **** are incredibly closed-minded.
    edited May 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    I've learned many life lessons over the years. One is to ignore drama queens where there is no drama.

The corollary to your bit of wisdom is that just because you enjoy something doesn't make it bad. You're trying to moralize an amoral situation. But please do keep inventing special insight. It's entertaining.

Thanks...I'll be here all week. Dont forget to tip your waitresses.
    And no I wasnt. I was pointing out to the other poster that his sentiment that because he enjoys it, it's all good. Just pointing out his fallacy.

I was going to go with the "john" and cops involving prostitutes as another example of his exact quote being wrong.
  • borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Their business model is running multiple cash grab games to catch as many big spenders as they can. The games receive very little post launch support as developers are quickly moved to produce the next cash grab. They are not interested in long lasting customer relationships or your pennies. They want the guys that spend thousands if not tens of thousands. They know perfectly well that the majority never spends anything but they don't need them to. All that the majority has to do is fill the servers to make them lively enough for the big spenders.

I'm not moralizing here just calling it what it is. In the end they are just trying to make money like everyone else. And if you enjoy getting ripped off then go for it. Jobs are being created and the global economy keeps spinning. But don't expect that they will change their business model because you asked so on the forums.
    edited May 2013
    there's no fallacy in it, you paid for your car to not enjoy it? you only purchase things out of necessity? you don't have entertainment or do you not spend money on entertainment.

using extreme examples like drugs, well that will suit your point, but it's not really the right arguement.

people like sex too, maybe they should stop having that since it makes them feel good? so all things that make a person feel good are bad?

I'm done with this thread, the people who think they're all worldly and **** are incredibly closed-minded.

Goodbye...thanks for the conversation.

And...if you would prefer a less morally ambigious example, lets go with the Home Mortage crisis. They bought a home because they wanted it and they liked it....never mind the fact that they were not well off enough to do so.......per your thoughts, it's all good.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    borneol wrote: »
    Their business model is running multiple cash grab games to catch as many big spenders as they can. The games receive very little post launch support as developers are quickly moved to produce the next cash grab. They are not interested in long lasting customer relationships or your pennies. They want the guys that spend thousands if not tens of thousands. They know perfectly well that the majority never spends anything but they don't need them to. All that the majority has to do is fill the servers to make them lively enough for the big spenders.

STO contradicts your rosy view of the universe.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    Goodbye...thanks for the conversation.

And...if you would prefer a less morally ambigious example, lets go with the Home Mortage crisis. They bought a home because they wanted it and they liked it....never mind the fact that they were not well off enough to do so.......per your thoughts, it's all good.

that's not the homebuyer problem, that was the SELLERS for putting a person in a home they knew that person could not afford!
    edited May 2013
    that's not the homebuyer problem, that was the SELLERS for putting a person in a home they knew that person could not afford!

Uh, no, it took two to make that particular mistake. The lender, for making a mortgage that they knew couldn't be repaid, and the buyer, for taking a mortgage that they knew they couldn't repay.

(And then how much blame do we heap on the investment bankers who bundled the mortgages, put them through a blender and called them AAA-rated securities?)
    edited May 2013

Not one single instance of a Mortage lender holding a gun to a buyers head and focring them to sign the contract has ever been shown that I am aware of. But you are welcome to link me to examples. Otherwise, no, those person signed those legally binding contracts of their own free will. Were they ignorant of the repercussion? Most likely so. Does that make the Lender wrong? Nope, not in the least, same as it doesnt make Cryptic wrong if some guy buys a 40.00 mount and skips his heart medication and dies of massive coronary failure.
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    So knowing it was a "cash grab" and that Cryptic and PWE have "histories of greed" you are still playing the game? And bought a Guardian pack on top of it all? Not sure it computes.

The only NPC I can remember announcing that they take AD is the one by the market in Protectors Enclave. Which I am seldom even near. I also don't see the constant reminders on every other window for the zen shop. Maybe I'm just opening the wrong windows.

The 60 dollar pack is well worth the money. Its the average price of a standard new game. So the price is acceptable, you get tier 3 mounts and companions for every character and 600,000AD. and yeah I continue to play the game, because its fun. Its a LOT of fun. One of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. But that doesn't stop the cash grabs from being ridiculous.

I'm not paying anything else, and that is something PWE clearly wants me to do. I want to pay them for other stuff. I'd love to the get the wedding clothes, but I'm not spending 30 on a single costume. So until they make it appealing, no more money from me.

As for the windows: the bank expansion button, the inventory expansion button, by rename/expansion buttons on character select screen, welcome page zen market button, power window buy respec token button, buy active companion slot button companion window, edit profile buy rename token, to name a few off hand.

If they choose to ignore us players and keep up the BS, well, I've got Marvel Heroes (whose cash shop is far more generous, hey no buying respecs!) and beyond that, Wildstar.
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    At the level the prices are now? I will probably never give PWE a dime. I have my nightmare chests in the bottom of a bag somewhere out of sight. Impossible to destroy advertisements for the zen shop are pretty lol.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • masochist33masochist33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nightmare boxes are the worst...cant sell and cant remove...and they take up my precious inventory space...guess I should drop $10 on a bag or two or perhaps spend about $50 on keys for the boxes?

I find it lolzy that an item that is dropped fairly commonly and that everyone has them can claim to contain "rare" items...based on how often I see the popup the nightmare mount is NOT rare