test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Greatweapon Fighter - What's the point?

ealdwulfealdwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So this isn't meant to be a negative thread at all - I'm just wanting some kind of discussion regarding the "place" of the class.

My main is a Guardian and my alt is a cleric, I've played the GWF up to around 12 or so.

I really enjoy the feel of the class and it's very rewarding slashing through enemies, great animations. But I've wondering where he fights in, other than "off tank".

It seems if you want to be a tank, go guardian, if you want to do DPS go rogue? I'm admittedly ignorant as to the overall play-style theme of this class, and I'm curious how it develops as you level up.

What does the Great Weapon Fighter excel at?
Post edited by ealdwulf on

Comments

• hideki11hideki11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Turning adds into mush.
  • baofengyubaofengyu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol keeping the adds off of the main character. Watch the opening cinematic. The GWF totally just... fights the pointless mobs while the cleric heals the rogue who then kills the boss.... Its actually a pretty good example of the game play.

Also, a large two handed sword is singularly the most offensive weapon you can wield. Who ever had the idea "Hey, support damage" was really bright. Trust me, i fight great sword in the sca and you do it for the offense. Two daggers as your main striker? fail.
  • ealdwulfealdwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting, so he has better AOE damage than a wizard or rogue?

Also where do you fight in the SCA been wanting to check into that.
    edited May 2013
    ealdwulf wrote: »
    Interesting, so he has better AOE damage than a wizard or rogue?

Also where do you fight in the SCA been wanting to check into that.

I'm fighting in the East Kingdon, Barony of Ruantallon, Canton of seashire. If you mean you wanted to check if i was lying. If you mean you wanted to check into becomming a fighter just type into google "Sca Known world map" Or something similer. Based off of the kingdom your state/province is in you can find the proper website.

As far as AOE damage yes, but only at much higher levels.Up to like 45 a rogue can burn down a group faster still killing them 1 or 2 at a time. Its only really for killing ADDS.
  • ealdwulfealdwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haha not to check and see if you were lying - I did some SCA stuff in Ansteoria but it's been awhile.

So as of right now, from what your telling me - it sounds like rogues can take down groups faster until 45+ but the general feel is that the GWF is made to take down mobs with a bit more survivability?
  • caiotamiettecaiotamiette Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great Weapon Fighter, i have one in 60, i dont like, bug class, gm dont give any attention,

GWF IT'S SUX, DONT HAVE NOTHING
    edited May 2013
    Yeah but at the rate your health drops off it feels like less , especially considering the time the fight takes. Your never gonna be a hero, your a cohort. Its a shame considering the awesome hype video they had for it. looked like a real smasher. Totally just there to take pressure off of the tank.
    edited May 2013
    Great Weapon Fighter, i have one in 60, i dont like, bug class, gm dont give any attention,

GWF IT'S SUX, DONT HAVE NOTHING

Hes right though. I always play warrior and i havent found a gae yet (except Tera) that doesn't leave you feel like your fighting with a broken arm.
  • jctriikjctriik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rogue's AOE is bad, but largely ignored because of their vastly superior single target damage.

GWF is a lot about cooldowns,
    I'd say for sure a GWF popping slam + full determination + weapon master strike spam would be able to deliver crazy burst aoe damage for about 10 seconds or so. But then it will take him another 45 seconds to do it again (unless he gets hit a lot). without determination or slam (daily), they are probably beneath CW.

On the other hand, when it comes to single target... probably lower than a cleric
  • moonskin666moonskin666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The point of GWF: having fun, a hell of a lot of fun. Rest is secondary.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jctriik wrote: »
    On the other hand, when it comes to single target... probably lower than a cleric

My TR and CW just blazed through both single targets and mobs way faster than my GWF did. I just started a DC and its the same thing - I am taking down both single mobs AND groups faster than on my GWF until the level my DC is currently at (mid 30s). GWF DPS at lower levels is seriously broken.

I haven't tried the GF yet, but I am pretty sure it will be the same story.......
    edited May 2013
    Did an experiment. the cleric is better solo then a gwf. Pathetic.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    topping dps charts at 60, bringing excellent utility, aoe and offtanking capabilities. generally being a wrecking machine
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    topping dps charts at 60, bringing excellent utility, aoe and offtanking capabilities. generally being a wrecking machine

Mm yeah ok ill believe that when i see a screenshot. Too many GWFs have said otherwise here.
  • xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Mm yeah ok ill believe that when i see a screenshot. Too many GWFs have said otherwise here.

He is correct. You can top the dps charts at 60. However, you need great gear, a great group, and a little bit of luck. Unlike other classes who just go in and do their job, the GWF has to work much harder for their results and if you play with randoms that knock stuff all over the place, you will finish at the bottom of the charts.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xaazx wrote: »
    He is correct. You can top the dps charts at 60. However, you need great gear, a great group, and a little bit of luck. Unlike other classes who just go in and do their job, the GWF has to work much harder for their results and if you play with randoms that knock stuff all over the place, you will finish at the bottom of the charts.

if you use my build you need no luck and you will top the charts. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?185882-My-GWF-DPs-PvP-Build/page4 the build on page 3
  • jctriikjctriik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most GWF are just not playing it the way it was intended.
    Most of them just play GWF like a rogue, chasing and focusing down on a single targets. If that is what you want to do, you should really just roll a rogue.

You HAVE to AOE if you play a GWF, majority of the dungeons and fights all have adds, its your job as a GWF to pick them up and deal with them.

"Well, why doesn't the GF tank just pick them all up?"
    GFs don't have amazing aoe threat generators. Even if they do, tanking multiple enemies will force them to move around A LOT, which will drastically decrease the amount of damage the rogues can do on the boss.
    GWFs can in fact take quite a bit of damage, especially when determination is popped, combined with slam and cleaves, you can do incredible aoe bursts and peel for the group.

GWF is designed to do that and yet most people just choose to stick on the main boss, spamming their underwhelming single target abilities...

I'm not opposed to them buffing sure strike a little bit to increase single target damage but frankly speaking I rarely use it in dungeons as it is.
  • lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF is second highest dps class in the game when spec'd into destroyer, it has some of best aoe when spec into its aoe tree(forget the name), and can supposedly tank in tank spec, are people saying have done some epic content as a GWF tank. I dont see the problem with the class at all.

Damage, Tank, Aoe support? they do it all fairly well they are just a late bloomer.
  • mantiddmantidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ealdwulf wrote: »
    So this isn't meant to be a negative thread at all - I'm just wanting some kind of discussion regarding the "place" of the class.

My main is a Guardian and my alt is a cleric, I've played the GWF up to around 12 or so.

I really enjoy the feel of the class and it's very rewarding slashing through enemies, great animations. But I've wondering where he fights in, other than "off tank".

It seems if you want to be a tank, go guardian, if you want to do DPS go rogue? I'm admittedly ignorant as to the overall play-style theme of this class, and I'm curious how it develops as you level up.

What does the Great Weapon Fighter excel at?

There is no point, nothing to see here, please move along to another class. Let me keep my loots and enjoy all the awesomeness alone. <3
    15.jpg
  • mantiddmantidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess on a more serious note I look at my GWF like I did at my Enhancement Shaman all those days ago. Most will fail, the great ones will be dps and cc/control monsters. While all along providing debuffs, prones and stuns to the group. Not to mention Combat advantages and more when specced properly. We may not have totems but do very similar things while being an incredible AoE dps machine.
    15.jpg
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I'm loving my GWF but is it true the class don't shine until you hit lvl 40 ?
    edited May 2013
    I'm loving my GWF but is it true the class don't shine until you hit lvl 40 ?

It is a Warrior and as with every single warrior in every MMO since EQ original, gear = playability. I lucked out a lot but getting a new weapon and the "right" armor every 1 to 2 levels is what made my leveling a cake walk really. The folks I have seen struggling are ya know level 32 using a level 26 or 28 weapon which is a huge difference.

If you can keep everything as up to date as possible and ensure you get all that power, crit, armor pen and defense as you level up things are much easier.
    15.jpg
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still waiting for someone to post some proof of higher level awesomeness. Post a pic. Anyone. Dungeon and/or PVP results.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The point?: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    edited May 2013
    Some awesome feedback here. Glad to see some high level guys piping in on their experience as a GWF.

It's good to know there it's not all negative, I figured it wouldn't be. I think every class needs tweaked but it's the forums and thus a lot of whining goes on usually.

out of curiosity, what kind of weapons drop for the GWF as you level up, are there hammers and maces as well as axes?
  • applepotatoepieapplepotatoepie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm almost into full T2 and I've never seen any Great Weapon Fighter come close to TR or CW in damage.
    Atm I don't think there is any point to this class. They do less AOE and single target damage, and they lack the CC wizard has. All they have going for them is an HP pool which barely matters in this game except for Tenebrous enchants, and cleric follower when you don't have a DC in party.

I really want to see these GWF white knights who think the class is fine to post some screenshots or run with me. I'm not a GWF btw.
  • aurwangraurwangr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baofengyu wrote: »
    Lol keeping the adds off of the main character. Watch the opening cinematic. The GWF totally just... fights the pointless mobs while the cleric heals the rogue who then kills the boss.... Its actually a pretty good example of the game play.

Also, a large two handed sword is singularly the most offensive weapon you can wield. Who ever had the idea "Hey, support damage" was really bright. Trust me, i fight great sword in the sca and you do it for the offense. Two daggers as your main striker? fail.

Okay that first part made me laugh. The shocking thing is: Its the truth.
  • selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still waiting for someone to post some proof of higher level awesomeness. Post a pic. Anyone. Dungeon and/or PVP results.
    dzc6f.png

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    60 GWF here. 9300 gear score.

GWF sux, sure he can dish out highest damage in T2 dungeons BUT he has no utility. Offtanking aggro not exist, equal CW will aggro trashes from GWF in no-time.

I am thinking about rerolling. Especially when i played 30+ hours in pvp battleground.

Just dont. Or wait until some balance patch will come (if ever)...
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • sturmjaegersturmjaeger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    The point?: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

No, that's the Barbarian Class. ;)