test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iron Man 3 SUCKED! - * Spoilers *

trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
So, the whole time waiting for this movie you are fed images of the acting Titan, Ben Kingsley, portraying The Mandarin.

I almost **** myself in anticipation. For those not in the know, The Mandarin is one of the most diabolical and truly *evil* comic book villains of all time. I mean real world sadistic, mentally twisted & morally reprehensible "evil". Not comic book "evil". Not corny "evil". I mean makes Hitler & Bin Laden look like school yard bullies "evil".

In Iron Man 3 you are treated to several scenes which incrementally dose the viewer with tastes of how twisted and charismatic The Mandarin is and how he brings out not only the darkest in his fellow man but also how he inspires fanatical loyalty in his men. All in the way only Ben Kingsley could do.

I was squirming in my seat with delight.

I watched as The Mandarin committed atrocities and televised them for the world to see. I watched as Stark finally lost his cool and publicly revealed his home location and challenged The Mandarin to "come and get him". I watched as The Mandarin's men promptly obliterated Stark's home. Because that's how The Mandarin rolls. No one openly challenges him without reprisal.

THAT'S The Mandarin.

I loved every moment of it... and then...

I almost walked out of the movie and, as I said to my friends, had someone else not bought the tickets I most certainly would have. But out of respect for them I stayed. So what happened to throw me off? Hollywood baited me and then switched.

You're treated to an almost random scene where Stark, suit less, walks in on a coked out Ben Kingsley with two hookers. Long story short, The Mandarin isn't real. He's an actor hired by a nerd to portray The Mandarin so the nerd can fan the flames of "The War on Terror" and make money.

The nerd in question being actor Guy Pearce. All due respect to Mr. Pearce but you're no Ben Kingsley and all due respect to the director, producers and writers but...

WHERE THE **** IS THE MANDARIN?!?

I've never, not once, in my 34 years of life on this planet been so let down & out right angry angry at a film. My emotions were toyed with. I was made a promise and I was lied to. Then I had an epiphany.

Is this how women feel -ALL- the time?

If so, I can see why you get so pissed at men as often as you do. I feel dirty. I feel used. I feel cheap. I feel like smashing my TV every time I see an Iron Man 3 commercial... I want to cry.

On the plus side the movie was riddled with classic Downey Jr. rhetoric and one liners. Lots of laughs to be had but the "panic attacks" were lame and annoying and never really explained. I thought we left all this emotional turmoil behind us in the resolution of Iron Man 2? Is Stark going to be a sodding mess at the end of every Avengers movie?

Make up your minds already.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by trickshaw on

Comments

• chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with this post... Where are the magical super powered rings?
    @Powerblast in game
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I took the "bait and switch" thing to be a creative decision to keep "magic" as more of a non-earth thing, (left to Asgard and such). The panic attacks were post traumatic stress from Stark barely surviving the events of the Avengers. From the get-go, the villains of the movie were portrayed as using Extremis, so while I too was surprised to find out that the Mandarin was a decoy, I figured they'd keep the origin of the bad guys' superpowers as something tech related. The fact that the "Iron Patriot" was basically played for laughs and really didn't get in on the action annoyed me more. I was hoping he'd get in on the fighting at the end and get the cheesy paintjob knocked off, and him and Tony would get another awesome back-to-back fight.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Mandarin doesn't have magic. His 10 rings are alien tech. The Mandarin is supposed to be Stark's antithesis. Yin and Yang. The Mandarin spent his families fortune to become one of the world's most brilliant and well educated mind's as well as travelling the globe to become a master of all forms of fighting arts. He's a tech head just like Stark. Only completely twisted.

The fact that they turned The Mandarin into a nerd who had a gimp leg and was himself a user of Extremis, instead of it's co-inventor like in the comics, really... really... pissed me off. It wouldn't have been so annoying if they weren't selling The Mandarin as he was in the books. Kingsley dressed the role, acted the role and hell, he even wore the 10 rings. It was a blatant misdirection and after checking some forums I'm not the only comic fan out there who was monumentally disappointed in what they did.

It wasn't "clever". It was a supremely dirty maneuver. Similar to those movies or shows where you find out at the end of the story that everything that transpired was just a dream. Total let down. The only thing I can compare it to would be that one Steven Seagal movie where he was advertised as being the star of the movie only to have him die within the first 10 minutes. Like... really?

What the **** is that?!?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cruellicruelli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He just stayed too much time outside the suit :( and yeah Mandarin thing was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> .... Iron Man 3 suxxed :D
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disappointed with the Mandarin:mad:, but the rest of the movie was fun.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • bennett1stbennett1st Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Thank God I never spend money on movie theaters...that's what piratebay is for!
  • lucious3lucious3 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bennett1st wrote: »

+1.

I mean really, why does Hollywood expect us to go and pay to see or hire movies when 90% of the movies are a major let down. Hollywood and actors moan about feeling ripped off because people are down loading movies instead but who is the one really being ripped off when there is an example like the OP's case?! In NZ ill spend approx $30-$40 if I wanted to go see a movie at the theaters ( confectionery included ). I am sorry but ****-c-k that, I would rather spend $40 at the super market on junk food and watch my pirated movie at home tyvm.

@ OP, I am sorry you had such a feeling of being ripped off, it sucks when you are all hyped and amped for a movie and it becomes a total let down, it was a feeling I had when the first CGI Hulk movie came out, it was horrible and I felt so ripped off. The 2nd time this happened to me was a CGI film made for Warhammer 40k, "Ultramarines ", it was so badly done i wish I never heard of it so I could miss being so let down.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Member Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bennett1st wrote: »

And this is also kind of illegal, and it's probably a bad idea to advertise stealing on the forums.

I don't morally object to it- I just find it ironic that people disagreeing with someone can have their post removed, but you can openly advertise that you commit crimes.
  • slowshieldslowshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Many people are frustrated with Mandarin having no powers.. *mwahaha spoiler* .. but oh well... at least they gave us mutants... :-)
    Mark 42 however is a joke.. I actually bought the DIECAST version of it from HotToys.. and was not so amused to see it flying into scrap metal ... man! Iron Patriot needs security mechanisms to prevent unauthorized people from piloting it man... like srsly :p
    <Archons> +8 GMT Oceanic Guild, 300 Member Strong @ Dragon Server!
    banner.png
    Silverblade (60 TR), Silver (60 DC), SilverShield (60 GF), SilverStorm (60 CW), Ultimate (60 GWF)
  • ixothixoth Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I liked the movie. In my book it was the best of Iron man series. But thats my opinion, urs might differ, and I'm fine with that.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Member Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So they changed the story from the comic. Big deal. It happens all the time, because let's be honest- a movie and a comic book are two different things and don't always translate well. I liked how they changed it, it made for a good movie. I don't want to pay 8 bucks for something I've read a dozen times already.
  • blupa2010blupa2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well it's only a movie. I have not seen it but I'm not into super hero movies so will probably skip this one.
    ~ Neverwinter Fan Site~ Builds-Guides+More!!
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well 1 and 2 were way better , didn't like the third part though .