test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guide to a level 60 GWF, DPSing in Dungeons

gematriyagematriya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have been approached multiple times by other GWFs, asking me what to spec for, what feats to take, what powers to use, etc.
So figured i would just write this small guide.

First of all, im gonna post my spec.

Feats:

5 Unstoppable
3 Disciple of Strength
3 Endless Assault
5 Steely Defense
1 Weapon Mastery
3 Devastating Critical
5 Great Weapon Focus
5 Deep Gash
5 Staying Power
5 Relentless Battle fury
5 Focused Destroyer
1 Destroyers Purpose
5 Student of the Sword (Especially this one is gonna improve your dps a ton)

rhogll.jpg

Focused Destroyer is a very important feat to have, as it will make your Destroyer Feature proc even on single target mobs. And having 3 stacks of this means a world of difference.
I dont feel Destroyers Purpose adds a lot in terms of Determination gain from damage. The only time i feel Destroyers Purpose being really nice is on AE fights. So it may or may not be worth it to swap that one point to Weapon Mastery for more crit chance.

I wanna note 2 things.

I have not yet had the chance to really test out the feat called Battle Awareness. It will give, at rank 5, 25% extra power to Slam. It may well be worth taking over the reduced cooldown to Battle Fury. Regardless, if you do not wish to use Battle fury, but rather use Restoring Strike or the likes, then it is definitely worth ditching the cooldown reduction for the extra Power from Slam.

Powers:

I have chosen to use my points the following way:

21eamp.jpg

Its good to know, that Avalanche of Steel actually makes you immune to damage while its channeling (you are flying up in the air) and its good to know that you can actually move while its channeling. So a good approach is pop it before you reach a grp, then approach the grp to slam down from above.

Out of these powers, i use the following on a regular basis as a dps in dungeons:

Daily:
Crescendo
Slam

Slam on AE fights and long duration fights, its perfect for Named fights.
Crescendo on short duration burst fights or fights where some single target CC is required.

Features:
Destroyer
Weapon Master

Encounters:
Flourish
Battle Fury
Indomitable Battle Strike

Most dont take Battle Fury, but ive found it to work really well. Try it out, if you dont like it, you will get basically the same benefits by taking a different encounter, like Restoring Strike or the likes. If you decide to ditch Battle fury, dont forget to check your Feats. One of them reduces cooldown of Battle Fury, but thats not worth it if you dont use battle fury ;) Change the 5 points then to either Battle Awareness or Disciple of War.
I find Battle Fury tho to increase my overall damage by quite a lot. Pairing Battle fury with Unstoppable yields you massive damage and is well worth timing for.
Also try and time Indomitable Battle Strike for when a mob is almost dead, it will give a very nice Action Point boost, and paired with Battle fury, it will give you almost 50% of your max Action Points.

At-Wills:
Sure Strike
Weapon Masters Strike

Sure Strike is a fast attack, and sometimes that is necessary on fights where moving is a direct requirement to succeeding.
Weapon Masters Strike should be kept up at all times, and ofcourse used on multiple mob encounters. The effect from it increases the damage from both your At Wills, but also encounters.

Generally:

I have found to prefer Power, Critical Strike and Recovery (in that order) over the traditional Power, Critical Strike and Armor Penetration. I havent seen that much gain from Armor Penetration that ive deemed it worth speccing for. Sitting with high recovery however, means that you will be able to gain Action Points quicker and fire off your daily more often. And the more you can get Slam going during a boss fight, the more damage you will do. Lets not forget that Slam also decreases run speed on monsters, so that is very helpful if the cleric is running around like a headless chicken.

Never use encounters at the beginning of a fight. Its a waste. You should wait a few hits, to make sure you have procced stuff like Student of the Sword, Destroyer and Weapon Master. Once you got a few stacks of those going, your overall dps will skyrocket, and you should start firing off those encounters and daily. Dont forget to pop Battle Fury before Encounters if its available! On a crit, battle fury can give you a big boost in damage.

One thing that will give a very nice boost, to any class really, is ditching that old, dusty boring Companion, and getting a even more boring companion, the Ioun Stone of Might. At Companion Level 20, it will give a base stat of 89 to all your stats (except Regeneration and Life Steal) and if thats not enough, it will transfer any stats it gets from equipment or runestones directly to you. So adding a 120 power Runestone to this companion, means you will get 120 Power.

Enchantment wise i have adorned Power in all Offense slots, and Defense in all Defense slots. Remember, one of the feats turns 25% of your defense into Power. So Enchanting with Defense aint as bad as it could be ;)

Any questions, feel free to ask. Im not saying that this is a sureway spec or tactic to be successful, but its working for me as a DPSing GWF. Im often on top, or close to the top, of parses. And if you are feeling despair, watching Rogues one shotting stuff.. Dont fret, while GWFs dont do well in short duration fights, we excel incredibly in long duration fights, like Boss fights.

Feel free to catch me ingame too, i play on Dragon, main called Bafdaap@gematriya. Level 60 GWF, currently with 10k GS

Edit:

I just thought of some more to add!

"..Enchantment wise i have adorned Power in all Offense slots, and Defense in all Defense slots. Remember, one of the feats turns 25% of your defense into Power. So Enchanting with Defense aint as bad as it could be"

Edit2:
Added some more points to the guide
Post edited by gematriya on

Comments

• wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Thank you very much, nice guide!
    That's a fact!
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a GWF still sticking it out at the mid-40s it is always great to see endgame guides especially ones with detailed explanations ;)
  • therepstertherepster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gematriya wrote: »
    Most dont take Battle Fury, but ive found it to work really well. Try it out, if you dont like it, you will get basically the same benefits by taking a different encounter, like Restoring Strike or the likes.

Here's the thing. Your paragon feats.
    "Relentless Battle Fury, reduces the cool down on take down, roar, and battle fury by 25%"

So... if you going to suggest that somebody that does not like Battlefury use something else, also mention the feat that ONLY increase the 3 encounters should be changed if it's not one of those being used instead. Especially with the alternatives of 25% more power while slam is active, or straight up 25% of your recovery as Armor Pen.
  • gematriyagematriya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    therepster wrote: »
    Here's the thing. Your paragon feats.
    "Relentless Battle Fury, reduces the cool down on take down, roar, and battle fury by 25%"

So... if you going to suggest that somebody that does not like Battlefury use something else, also mention the feat that ONLY increase the 3 encounters should be changed if it's not one of those being used instead. Especially with the alternatives of 25% more power while slam is active, or straight up 25% of your recovery as Armor Pen.

Duly noted ;) And added.
  • kgl7kgl7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This must be a copy from somewhere.

Everyone knows that "Disciple of Strength" is 3/3.
  • gematriyagematriya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kgl7 wrote: »
    This must be a copy from somewhere.

Everyone knows that "Disciple of Strength" is 3/3.

Or a typo thats now fixed ;)
  • bottombasherbottombasher Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you explain to me why you chose to max bravery over steadfast determination?Im level 15 and I'd like to know the benefits and disadvantages of those two class features before i spec into one. Thanks.
    edited May 2013
    Because i dont use Steadfast Determination. The gain is too low. Theres always mobs using AEs and **** so ive never had any issue keeping Unstoppable up 90% of the time.

Bravery gives a decent amount of Deflection if you find yourself in a situation where you need more survivability.