test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leadership Assets, what?

tyurruchantyurruchan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Right so the following is possible

Hire a Mercenary 5% speed boost.

Use 4 Mercenary to get one guard which is also 5% Speed boost.

Use 4 Guards to get one Footman which is also 5% speed boost.

What was that point of this? well apparently nothing, because there is no way to use a footman to get a man-at-arms and progress this at all. Just stuck there and I would like to know what I missed with this seemingly pointless and wasteful transaction?
Post edited by tyurruchan on

Comments

• walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I had no idea you could combine stuff like that.... but good god..... perhaps this was an old way to get better craters before they decided to start charging for it
  • prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I could be wrong, but my guess is that Guards and Footmen are required for higher level leadership tasks.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    prunetracy wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but my guess is that Guards and Footmen are required for higher level leadership tasks.

This. I know you can't use certain tailors for higher items, they need to be things like weavers or outfiters. I forget which.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mercenary = Rank 1
    Guard = Rank 2
    Footman = Rank 3
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    It's a gating system and time sync, incentive for buying the asset packs on the store, or assets from other players. You require rank 2 after skill level 7 (IIRC), and rank 3 assets probably around 14. Getting one rank 1 asset takes 18 hours, then you need to combine 4 into a rank 2 asset which takes another 18 hours, then again combine 4 rank 2s to get a rank 3 for 18 more hours. Trying to get a single rank 3 asset with only two task slots would take 180 hours (360 total hours, divide that by however many slots you have) of just hiring and combining those assets. It's absolutely not worth bothering with since green assets (and above) count as rank 3 and cost as low as 10-50k AD right now, which is only 2-3 days of AD farming.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can level from 1-20 using the porridge quest.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • digaum2003digaum2003 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »

What porridge quest? Can you really level 20 levels in this profession without needing to buy assets or spend hundreds of hours leveling up?

Thanks
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    It's a gating system and time sync, incentive for buying the asset packs on the store, or assets from other players. You require rank 2 after skill level 7 (IIRC), and rank 3 assets probably around 14. Getting one rank 1 asset takes 18 hours, then you need to combine 4 into a rank 2 asset which takes another 18 hours, then again combine 4 rank 2s to get a rank 3 for 18 more hours. Trying to get a single rank 3 asset with only two task slots would take 180 hours (360 total hours, divide that by however many slots you have) of just hiring and combining those assets. It's absolutely not worth bothering with since green assets (and above) count as rank 3 and cost as low as 10-50k AD right now, which is only 2-3 days of AD farming.

By the time you can get rank 3 assets you WILL have 3 task slots though (original, lv 3 profession slot, lv 10 profession slot). But yes, still probably better off getting the green assets anyway, because of the speed boost.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    By the time you can get rank 3 assets you WILL have 3 task slots though (original, lv 3 profession slot, lv 10 profession slot). But yes, still probably better off getting the green assets anyway, because of the speed boost.

Only if you are not leveling your character. You forgot that you get a slot at level 30 and at 50 (it says 60 but it opened at level 50 for me). So I'm sitting at 5 slots.

I think it was mentioned in an earlier reply that it looks like there may be a cap on leveling assets this way. I've not seen a way to get the worn shears to the next level yet. Does any know if that is a rare task for leatherworking?
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    It's far better to use the Level 4: Protect Caravan task. Instead of having to buy Porridge from the vendor you earn AD for completing the task, and you can use Mercenaries to do it.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The green and blue assets (people, tools) are only available from those profession kits (I believe only zen bought).

However you can still craft everything without them, you just have to upgrade your white assets. They'll be slower (as you noticed, only capping at 5% speed whereas the purple assets do 50%) but can still do the work. You cannot upgrade a white asset to a green asset.

So, as with the rest of the game - you can do everything for free it just takes longer.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned in an earlier reply that it looks like there may be a cap on leveling assets this way. I've not seen a way to get the worn shears to the next level yet. Does any know if that is a rare task for leatherworking?

No, there's no way to upgrade white/worn tools to green ones. Green/blue/purple tools come from the Doomguard's Duty quest reward random-pack, the zen store profession packs, and the auction house (people reselling the things they got from the previous two). There's also a "leadership" pack that can come out of the lockboxes, but obviously that's just leadership assets.

disclaimer: as far as I've heard.
  • ultraxanatovultraxanatov Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's also good to know that the speed bonus from the "common" assets works only when it is in an optional slot, whereas the speed bonus from an uncommon, rare or epic asset (from cash shop) works even if it is in the main slot.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heh leadership is a goldmine. People actually buy porridge (and other crafting vendor items..) off the AH for diamonds. You can get 3 refugees from a rare task, sell them for nearly 10k AD. (the quest that uses them -- gives 800 ad or 1600 doubled... but people BUY them for 10k for some crazy reason).

I got a 25% speedup guy out of a lockbox and he seems to be able to do any task (???). Think he is an "adventurer" ? I forget his name.

As was said, protecting a caravan every 2 hours (or less..) for 200 AD a go is sweet.
    It turns out you can only do 3 of the same task at any one time.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Heh leadership is a goldmine. People actually buy porridge (and other crafting vendor items..) off the AH for diamonds. You can get 3 refugees from a rare task, sell them for nearly 10k AD. (the quest that uses them -- gives 800 ad or 1600 doubled... but people BUY them for 10k for some crazy reason).

I got a 25% speedup guy out of a lockbox and he seems to be able to do any task (???). Think he is an "adventurer" ? I forget his name.

As was said, protecting a caravan every 2 hours (or less..) for 200 AD a go is sweet.

Just a note: AH prices are representative of the last unsold price. Meaning it can often be vastly inaccurate.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seems like I picked a wrong server if they sell for 10k in yours.
  • paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yeah has nothing to do with the buff... they are needed for higher tier crafting
  • notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Hmm. I may have to look into this a bit more then. I got my leadership to 9, tailoring to 7 and gave up because it was so boring and pointless.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2k bid, 3.5k BO price per guy. I do not know if they sell "regularly" for 3.5k or not. My first stack, I let go at 7500 for 3, and it sold *instantly* at that BO price. Another stack up for 9k (4 days left) is being tested now (result unknown).

Maybe there is another use for them? This is still a huge profit over the 800 AD quest that uses them.

Totally a side note but selling refugees in the AH seems like the opposite of "leadership" and more like "slavery".
    edited May 2013
    Totally a side note but selling refugees in the AH seems like the opposite of "leadership" and more like "slavery".
    The guys I'm usually spending time with refer to the workers as slaves, possibly because we've been shuffling around 4 Master class ones to unlock the +100% speed slot. Smurf Slave Ring!
  • majorchitmajorchit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you turn off all of the filters in your task list and read what each requires, you can upgrade every crafter asset to purple from the starting brown, "EXCEPT" for leadership. leadership is the only one that goes up to footman and does not have a task to turn four footmen into a man-at-arms.
    edited June 2013
    majorchit wrote: »
    If you turn off all of the filters in your task list and read what each requires, you can upgrade every crafter asset to purple from the starting brown, "EXCEPT" for leadership. leadership is the only one that goes up to footman and does not have a task to turn four footmen into a man-at-arms.
    None of the professions have a way to turn common (ie. white) assets into uncommon (ie. green) ones.
  • majorchitmajorchit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Level 14 mailsmithing task, upgrade blacksmith. requires 4 'White Grade' Blacksmiths and you get a 'Green Grade' Assistant Mailsmith back. There is a task 'chain' that you can upgrade every profession's crafter asset from white to purple, other then leadership.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    majorchit wrote: »
    Level 14 mailsmithing task, upgrade blacksmith. requires 4 'White Grade' Blacksmiths and you get a 'Green Grade' Assistant Mailsmith back. There is a task 'chain' that you can upgrade every profession's crafter asset from white to purple, other then leadership.

Assistant Mailsmith is also 'white grade' and only has a +5% speed bonus.