test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2004 - Swimming. 2013 - No swimming

2»

Comments

• delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    also in D&D, you need swimming skill ;) (I don't think in 4.0 but I remember earlier edition you need to take it as a skill until 3.5 which now is stat related.

You know, most of the people I played 3.0-4.0 with agree on one thing. If a GM wants to cause a party wipe, just make the characters swim. Even when trained, the difficulty of swimming over any length of time (lets say 10 rounds) typically means your party is all going to die.

Add in currents, temperature, undercurrents, debris, a couple crocodiles, and we are all dead even as a monk with no armor and max swim skill.

In neverwinter, I get one skill as a GWF: Dungeoneering. That won't help me swim at all. I'm going to stay the heck away from and source of water deeper than my ankles thank you.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thirdeye69 wrote: »
    I hated swimming. Call me old fashion D&D but to think of a fully plated warrior treading water fighting a sea monster while staying afloat and holding his breath is bad dungeon mastering imo.

+1
    I was going to write the same thing !!!
  • wolfpaqdwolfpaqd Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've always hated underwater combat in MMOs.

ArenaNet spent an immense amount of time developing content, skills & specialized systems in GW2 specifically designed to make underwater combat suck less and guess what? It still sucks. It sucks bigtime. My necro accidentally falls in a deep puddle, bam my elite skill (aka daily) goes on cooldown and my flesh golem is unsummoned. The flesh golem that 5 of my 7 major traits (aka feats) are specifically chosen to enhance. One example? Sure, but it's one example arenanet didn't think of that drastically hampers my gameplay experience. And that's the problem with underwater content. It needs to be 100% thought all the way through or it quickly starts to feel like punishment. So far we haven't seen a company accomplish this.

I'm happy that I will never have to swim in this game. Kudos to cryptic for leaving this "feature" out.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oghier wrote: »
    NWN is a great game, but it's pretty stripped down. The art budget only supported a very few skins for each class, the voice acting is poor and the class selection is extremely limited. 'No swimming' is part of the same issue.

Happily, the combat mechanics are excellent. If they can add content at a reasonable pace, this has the potential to be really good.

This game is not NWN, please don't insult such a great 1P game like that. ;)
  • visgangvisgang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    I personally cant stand the idea of swimming in an MMO? so your wearing platemail armor and carrying a huge two handed sword and swimming???

Not that reality has anything to do with anything in this kind of game, but what is the point of even including swimming?? immersion is not really that good of a reason to do it imho. I would rather see the resources spent in any other department than underwater adventure.

And lets not even touch the logistical side of putting in swimming in , and all that it would entail, from a programming stand point. Once again, time, and money, would be better spent in ANY other area.