test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

whats peoples opinion about forgotten realm trademark character names?

jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
well as the thread is named, what is peoples opinion about trademark forgotten names like Elminster and drizzt do'urden.
or using celebrity names as character names, should it be allowed or not?

i personally don't like it, but that's just my opinion,
would love to hear what others think about it.
Post edited by jacktanto on

Comments

• mysralmysral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My plan is to insta boot any and every Drizzt and Breunor from group if I am group leader.
  • casimyrtvcasimyrtv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    mysral wrote: »
    My plan is to insta boot any and every Drizzt and Breunor from group if I am group leader.

Right there with you.
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea i was kinda disappointed when i saw a new guild member called drizzt do'urden they should at least make it impossible to make exact copies of forgotten realms characters
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    PW has already stated that they are fine with it. There is a dev post somewhere about it
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Couldn't care less either way?
  • c10udc10ud Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    It's whatever, IMO. Names are just names; and, if the inner fanboys want to recycle the names of their idols, so be it. It's really overdone and unimaginative (not just with FR names, but with the names of favorite anime and video game characters as well,) but to each their own; it isn't game breaking to see someone playing a Drow with the name Drizzt Do'Urden.
  • skirge66skirge66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get irritated by people that can't at least try to be somewhat creative with a name. Just a personal opinion.
  • djynnidjynni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just don't get what people who copy names are trying to say. I mean are they roleplaying? Do they think their character IS Drizzt if they name him that? Are they just so uncreative that they can't think of anything else to name a drow? I mean I like a lot of media characters but naming stuff after your favorite characters is kindof childish.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't particularly like it but since it isn't against the rules I don't plan to enact any kind of 'vigilante justice' on these players. They're just trying to live whatever their interpretation of the character is, I guess.
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jacktanto wrote: »
    well as the thread is named, what is peoples opinion about trademark forgotten names like Elminster and drizzt do'urden.

I agree with you, but coming from an older generation of online gaming I have seen so many derivatives ( especially of Drizzt ) I've become numb to it... suppose I've accepted that people lack imagination.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel allowing people to use these names makes it much easier to pick out those who's company you will not enjoy. Keep the system as it is :)
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pffft.

I don;t have an issue with it. I have no interest in it myself (I might name a companion after one of the Characters in Dragonlance or something) - but really... booting someone just because they want to play their favorite character? I think that's just over the top and is gives me the impression you are an intolerant elitist. (I know, I know - words are just words until put into action - but you get my point).

The simple fact is: all this stuff is licensed. I'm not sure, but I strongly (very strongly) suspect Cryptic also has some kind of license from Salvatore for his characters and place descriptions in his Neverwinter books, otherwise half this game would be I.P. infringement.

And it was specifically stated through official channels that using any character name associated with D&D (Such as Drizzt) is NOT considered I.P. Violation - which is why those names are not blocked in the system. (For example: try creating any character named "Kirk" in STO. Cannot be done.)

Seriously: why so serious about this non-issue?

Granted: these are my own perspectives, I have no intention of belittling anyone else's perspectives.
  • rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My opinion is it shouldn't be allowed. And it's usually not because it can get the game company in hot water with the trademark holder.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rabbiddog wrote: »
    My opinion is it shouldn't be allowed. And it's usually not because it can get the game company in hot water with the trademark holder.

Except WoTC is the license issuer, so it really is a non-issue
  • casimyrtvcasimyrtv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    Pffft.

I don;t have an issue with it. I have no interest in it myself (I might name a companion after one of the Characters in Dragonlance or something) - but really... booting someone just because they want to play their favorite character? I think that's just over the top and is gives me the impression you are an intolerant elitist. (I know, I know - words are just words until put into action - but you get my point).

The simple fact is: all this stuff is licensed. I'm not sure, but I strongly (very strongly) suspect Cryptic also has some kind of license from Salvatore for his characters and place descriptions in his Neverwinter books, otherwise half this game would be I.P. infringement.

And it was specifically stated through official channels that using any character name associated with D&D (Such as Drizzt) is NOT considered I.P. Violation - which is why those names are not blocked in the system. (For example: try creating any character named "Kirk" in STO. Cannot be done.)

Seriously: why so serious about this non-issue?

Granted: these are my own perspectives, I have no intention of belittling anyone else's perspectives.

Personally, I actually do not give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> one way or the other.
    I do, however, find playing with the rejects of special, my helmet has a propeller on it, school to be grating, annoying, tiresome, and effectively not a fun way to spend my time.

Being so inept and bereft of having the ability to just think of some frakking name that is unique and has meaning to you, that throws you dangerously close to entering the above category. I simply have no desire to interact with them.
    I'm not asking my group-mates to be able to calculate an atmospheric reentry, but, for the love of Deneir, be creative enough, in a fantasy game, to think of your own character name.

It doesn't even have to be strikingly different to at least make me notice you possess some functional form of higher brain power. Look at my name, Casimyr. My characters are always nicknamed "Cas", I'm a huge physics geek, there is a Quantum Field theory called the Casimir Effect, and my real name is close to this theory. I tied all that together and came out with "Casimyr".
    On the surface, I changed one letter. When I sit down and explain it fully, using my real name, you see that it is three parts combined.

Does it bother me to see Jarlaxle or Drizzt characters running around? Not overly. It, to me, is a big arrow pointing to them saying, "I'm an idiot that can't come up with something original".

I too am a big Drizzt fan, I own all of the books, comics, games, and I would squee and pee my pants if I ran across Drizzt(The REAL Drizzt) in Neverwinter. I'm still able to be an absolute geeky fan-boi for Drizzt and be original and creative enough to make my own character name.
  • mal3fact0rmal3fact0r Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    I couldn't care less what names other people choose, doesn't affect me. To each their own.
  • dantethewarriordantethewarrior Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My rogue is named Ezio Auditore.

Problem?
  • leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    casimyrtv, but if they choose the Drizzt or any other famous name it's because the name has a meaning for them.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    I feel allowing people to use these names makes it much easier to pick out those who's company you will not enjoy. Keep the system as it is :)

Yep I call it my idiot detector.....
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013
    leisses wrote: »
    casimyrtv, but if they choose the Drizzt or any other famous name it's because the name has a meaning for them.

Then find a way to adapt and make it your own, as I did with a name that has meaning for me.
    I am a Drizzt fan myself, and if I wanted to, I could adapt his name into a "new" name that is a.) more personalized towards me b.) keeps the name's meaning alive and c.) shows creativity and effort.

You are, unfortunately, misunderstanding my basic point. I do not care that they do it, however, I choose, personally, not to bother with dealing with them. As others have already said, it is basically a built-in "idiot detector".
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ::Sigh:: another one of these threads. Really? I can't see why someone should worry about what someone else names themselves. Who are you to tell someone what they can and cannot name their character? I live in a free country. We have free speech here. Let freedom ring.
  • iroduirodu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IMO all popular names from books, movies and the like should be unavailable as character names. Also any similar names should also not be pickable or at the very least required to be changed before they can get past a certain level.

It isn't hard to come up with a unique name. There are countless name generators out there that can do just this for people without any imagination whatsoever.

I have played quite a few games over the last 13 or so years who have all of these names blacklisted.
  • martianmanrapermartianmanraper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    I also do not like it, jacktanto, BUT I am also not fully behind having people change their names after the game has launched because of a change in policy (but I wouldn't complain haha. I'd just be like 'Oh, well that sucks for them I guess. The world is now a better place). This is on Cryp/PW; they should have added a filter or whatever so there aren't people running around making a mockery of untouchable characters. As it stands, it's lame, but all we can do is destroy them in pvp, or kick them haha, as mysral intends to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whiteravin308whiteravin308 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    at least with the @handle system we dont have XxXxXdrizzitXxXxX or what ever other useless variants for people to force the names they want
  • delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Another dead horse kicked. Seriously can we just have this tired subject auto dropped to "Lower Depths"

For the flame wars that this subject has started, please read this thread first:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?146331-Three-Min-in-Game-and-Already-See-a-Salvatore-Copycat
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jacktanto wrote: »

I don't care at all. Not even a little bit. Considering the names I've seen in mmos, and the guild names. Taking a fantasy-appropriate name from a pre-existing IP that this game is actually based on, and literally allows you to create a character that is a direct duplication of one of them. I'm totally cool with.

I would never do it, you have to be one Hell of a loser to be that upset with all the Drizz't's running around. Especially if you're barely looking at their names.

If my party leader kicked someone, or me, for using a name from an IP.
    I'll quit, or thank them for saving me time. So I don't get halfway through the dungeon, before realizing how much of a petty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they are.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why use these names why not come up with something new.
  • feyllfeyll Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been pondering making it a guild rule to kick these idiots from teams if it's within the member's power. I recommend others consider the same course of action.
    Critics breed growth, apologists (fanboys) breed stagnation.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    feyll wrote: »
    I've been pondering making it a guild rule to kick these idiots from teams if it's within the member's power. I recommend others consider the same course of action.

Segregation and Prejudice. This is how we make the world better, right?
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Why use these names why not come up with something new.

Conversely, why not? If those are the names they like, why shouldn't they use them?
    feyll wrote: »

Wow, that's mature. This is a D&D based game. Did you really think you wouldn't see people using their favorite character names?