test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is an archer class even possible?

2»

Comments

• ecl1psezdelta9ecl1psezdelta9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    I don't know about weapon switches, but the Trickster Rogue has a ranged and melee attack mode so I don't see why the Archer Ranger couldn't have some sort of melee feature, such as a point blank shot at-will power or take an arrow and stab the enemy (which might be quite fun). Just my thoughts on the matter :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadmanswrathdeadmanswrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    galthis wrote: »
    It will be similar to archer in Tera I imagine. Just a bow at all ranges. I'm hoping for an elemental type build. A fire arrow skill for DOT. Cold arrow for slows/roots, maybe one multi arrow encounter for a bit of AOE. I tried to think what the Tab function would be, since its a striker maybe its just some burst DPS. Maybe a sliver of stealth in there? I'm thinking CW with a bow, more DPS, less control.

Your referring to an Arcane Archer build there, not a ranger. Although a Genasi ranger would be awesome :D
    DeadmanSignature_zps3be0fb9a.jpg
    "Death is but a prelude to the true darkness that awaits you!" - Deadman
    HONOR - ABOVE - ALL - ELSE
    OVERLORD
    BARON QUANTUMN
    VICE OVERLORD
    KNIGHT DEADMAN
    VICE HERALD
    SOLDIER BEE KALIAA
  • deadmanswrathdeadmanswrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    I don't know about weapon switches, but the Trickster Rogue has a ranged and melee attack mode so I don't see why the Archer Ranger couldn't have some sort of melee feature, such as a point blank shot at-will power or take an arrow and stab the enemy (which might be quite fun). Just my thoughts on the matter :)

Yay Legolas build ftw..... oh wait I mean Order of the Bow Initiate build :p
    DeadmanSignature_zps3be0fb9a.jpg
    "Death is but a prelude to the true darkness that awaits you!" - Deadman
    HONOR - ABOVE - ALL - ELSE
    OVERLORD
    BARON QUANTUMN
    VICE OVERLORD
    KNIGHT DEADMAN
    VICE HERALD
    SOLDIER BEE KALIAA
  • rosemeliarosemelia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah. Better gear down there, big shifter.

You're talking about a game with orcs, wizards, magical undead dracoliches, etc, etc...So someone can conjure a missile made out or pure magic from their hand, but yet, you have a beef with archer's being able to fire a bow at point blank range.

Hell, shooting someone with a longbow at close range is likely to send an arrow straight through them.

Guys, it's freaking Dungeon and Dragons! The game is inherently based on the unrealistic. It's call fantasy, which is essentially the exact opposite of realism.

Yeh sorry for the tone of my message, musta been grumpy at the time but i have no problem in summon summoning out of their body but a bow is physical object which can be effected by outside thing anyway not important. everyone has their likes personally i would love to have some forum of physical attack for the archer. Though i feel that never winter could use both ways and maybe open a possible archer tank class which would be fairly knew.(id say offensive tank) (going do an idea post about the archer cos writing this gave me so many ideas) . :( i should learn how to make my own game.

But yeh sorry for my tone.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, no offense taken at the tone...It just when people get worked up about some things D&D not being "realistic", I like to add a little perspective.

I have a Rule 0 at my table: If your disagreement with the rules starts with, "It doesn't seem realistic that..." it's automatically invalid. ;)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • soulcatcher357soulcatcher357 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why not limit the number of arrows carried? And allow the quiver to automatically refill? STO has weapons like the Omega Plasma torp. 12 or 24? more with items like quiver of Ehlonna (AKA Meliekki)? If you are out of arrows, autoswitch to basic melee? I guess they have this figured out already anyways.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Oh, no offense taken at the tone...It just when people get worked up about some things D&D not being "realistic", I like to add a little perspective.

I have a Rule 0 at my table: If your disagreement with the rules starts with, "It doesn't seem realistic that..." it's automatically invalid. ;)
    There is a difference between magic and bows. Magic has no reality to compare it to. Bows do. Those wishing a realistic feel to their campaign may well want to portray the use of bows in a manner that reflects reality well. Some people like a good dose or reality in their fantasy, to make unnatural elements all the more fantastic when they do show up.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why not limit the number of arrows carried? And allow the quiver to automatically refill? STO has weapons like the Omega Plasma torp. 12 or 24? more with items like quiver of Ehlonna (AKA Meliekki)? If you are out of arrows, autoswitch to basic melee? I guess they have this figured out already anyways.
    I believe that you will find the focus of each class to be narrow.

For example, the Devoted Cleric has his holy symbol, and that is all he has. Unlike most Clerics in traditional D&D he can't be a Cleric that wields blunt weapons. Nor can he be a Cleric that uses a sling. He also can't be a Cleric that uses a shield.

I suspect that eventually there will be a Cleric introduced that does use a blunt weapon and a shield. He will not, however, be able to do the same kind of ranged attacks and such that the Devoted Cleric can.

It seems that the Archer will only use a bow for his weapon. He won't be an Archer that also does melee combat. Perhaps, at some time in the future, they will release a ranged class that uses bows has some melee weapon use as well.

The possibility that there will be many classes, each with its own narrow niche, is quite high, given the limited number of abilities each class can concurrently assign to the controls. By a happy coincidence, this will provide many opportunities to sell a plethora of niche classes in the cash shop.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pew pew pew!

yes its possible. In STO we have a lot of pew pew pew!
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am so **** tired...................Of people who confuse "Realistic" with "Logical".

I don't ask that Neverwinter be "realistic" I ask that it make sense. See, in -real- DnD, where your arrows come from matters and is something the player has to consider. Things don't just appear out of thin air like they do in Neverwinter Online. Oh wait, this is a video game, so things don't have to make sense or happen in a logical fashion so long as the players with no attention span get their shiny loot. Don't ask questions or stop to think about things, just keep hacking and slashing. Where do arrows come from? Who cares! This is an ARPG, baby!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ?? Magic?

I mean you can always say its returning arrow.

However look at this:-]

Teleport_zps4f1ba596.jpg

Pretty realistic I would say - he is even aiming correctly (My mage just teleported from that location where he is aiming)
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    I am so **** tired...................Of people who confuse "Realistic" with "Logical".

I don't ask that Neverwinter be "realistic" I ask that it make sense. See, in -real- DnD, where your arrows come from matters and is something the player has to consider. Things don't just appear out of thin air like they do in Neverwinter Online. Oh wait, this is a video game, so things don't have to make sense or happen in a logical fashion so long as the players with no attention span get their shiny loot. Don't ask questions or stop to think about things, just keep hacking and slashing. Where do arrows come from? Who cares! This is an ARPG, baby!

Seeker. I miss with an attack, I can make a ranged basic attack using the target as the origin point against a new target within 5 squares (25'). Oh, and I can shoot fire out of my mouth. Just saying. Logic has it's place and it's not in a world where demonic offspring shoot lasers out of giant earrings at creatures made of living garbage.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    See, in -real- DnD, where your arrows come from matters and is something the player has to consider.

Not in everyone's campaigns. However, in "real" DnD, you have one or two encounters in an hour of play. That wouldn't work out so well here. If you let people carry enough arrows to play at an MMO pace, they wind up with effectively unlimited arrows. Once you're carrying around a slot full of thousands of arrows, it ceases to become any kind of realistic and just becomes "don't play Ranger, they have one fewer bag slots!"

If it will make you feel better, leave a potion in one of your bag slots, and pretend it's a quiver. They're sort of the same shape. :)

Running out of ammo isn't fun. Games are supposed to be fun.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ^He speaks truth.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    devoneaux why not pretend your guy an arcane archer and the arrow made out of magic?
  • franjean82franjean82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Suspension of disbelief. Just say that your archer bought or made all of the arrows he would need prior to setting out on his adventure. Just as I would assume he went to the privy, ate a good breakfast, and performed hygiene without him performing those actions via in-game actions. ;P
    Rogue.jpg

Player of Wilcomb Goodale
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Seeker. I miss with an attack, I can make a ranged basic attack using the target as the origin point against a new target within 5 squares (25'). Oh, and I can shoot fire out of my mouth. Just saying. Logic has it's place and it's not in a world where demonic offspring shoot lasers out of giant earrings at creatures made of living garbage.

Not really. I just went over this:

"Realistic"=/="Logical" Just because a world is fantastical and magical doesn't mean it can't make sense. Let me remind you by the way, this is not Wonderland. This is Neverwinter, a significantly more grounded fantasy setting.
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    With the way the game is designed (with two at-will attacks, three encounter attacks, and 2 daily attacks) is it even possible to have an archer class? Splitting up ranged and melee attacks with only those few options to use them would be very restrictive unless you allow archers to shoot while in melee.

In addition, no other class can change weapons, they are limited to one mode of combat. I can see why no archer class is in the game currently.

Has any dev ever discussed these issues? I love playing archer classes but I am beginning to think it may not happen.

It is very possible, have you given thought that maybe some of the abilities will be aoe? or that they are going to be a striker class with damage equivalent or greater than GWF or TS?

Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock will come available sometime post launch, probably 3-6 months after. They may also have a Zen fee attached to them.
    26.jpg
  • colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bismar7 wrote: »
    Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock will come available sometime post launch, probably 3-6 months after. They may also have a Zen fee attached to them.

They already said all races/classes will be free.
  • marzipanikmarzipanik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That, sir, is an awesome screenshot. Thumbs up!
    RookBannerFinal_zpsc8b09fb3.png
  • shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't see why we have two different fighters, but we can't have two types of the other classes. There are so many types, we should be able to cater to several styles, but with at least two options, I would be ok with that.

We have a tank fighter and a great weapon fighter.

We have a devoted cleric, why not a war priest?

We have a trickster rogue, why not a master assassin rogue?

Control wizard (mostly cc?) Why not a Pale Master, necromancer or archmage?

And for ranger...I think this is all too easy. Archer, and since everyone seems to love the whiny crybaby Drizzt, a tempest.

While were at, wouldn't mind a druid class implemented....or bard....or Paladin......
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With the current weapon system (single weapon) I can see that archer would just be bow all the time with unlimited arrows.
    At-will powers will be type of arrow attacks (normal or pin attack/slow) encounter would probably be arrow showers, elemental arrows attacks, massive aoe slow. Daily would be something like super single attack (arrow AK as I call it) or massive aoe attack
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • ordainedoneordainedone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ranger and yes, it'll just cost 40$ to play.
  • ravenmark#2240 ravenmark Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    many of the classes are sort of "sudo" standard classes. I would imagine the ranger class would use range (even in your face ;) ), but would also be like a ranger/mage so different abilities, AOE, etc. would also be preset.
    Been wondering about Rangers, and Druids (possibly sudo Druid/shaman) type classes myself.
  • ravenmark#2240 ravenmark Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shorlong wrote: »
    I don't see why we have two different fighters, but we can't have two types of the other classes. There are so many types, we should be able to cater to several styles, but with at least two options, I would be ok with that.

We have a tank fighter and a great weapon fighter.

We have a devoted cleric, why not a war priest?

We have a trickster rogue, why not a master assassin rogue?

Control wizard (mostly cc?) Why not a Pale Master, necromancer or archmage?

And for ranger...I think this is all too easy. Archer, and since everyone seems to love the whiny crybaby Drizzt, a tempest.

While were at, wouldn't mind a druid class implemented....or bard....or Paladin......

Epic styles ;)
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would rather have a utility spell as an archer than to switch weapons... and many people will want to play the Tempest Ranger when it comes out; having Archers use melee weapons is a bad idea... I'm waiting for a ranged striker class to play as my main, if they have them be part melee im not going to play them... period. We have enough melee in the game, give us a **** ranged damage dealer.
    26.jpg
  • lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is really more dependent on the DM at the table when playing DnD tabletop (pnp). Different DMs make different decisions, although they are more likely to have players keep track of arrows with some kind of a magical component (+ whatever number, fire arrows, etc).

Lottie