test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I think it is perfect that respecing is not easy.

clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
It has been to long that gamers have had to pay no attention to choices. This is very inline with a D&D game and I am glad that it is difficult to obtain a respec. I would feel better if you could not respec at all however.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote Originally Posted by roents
It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
Post edited by clockwerkninja on

Comments

• jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember back in D&D 3.5 table top where the only way to respec your char was to get them killed and roll a new char.....or in the case of MMO games, delete and make a new char. People need to learn to live up to their mistakes.
  • fjesiifjesii Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The other way to get a respec back in tabletop D&D was to ask your understanding DM to allow it. Not usually a problem.

As far as making choices in this game, I'd rather not have to make the choice between pve and pvp for my character. It'd nice to be able to do both somewhat proficiently.
  • pickygamerpickygamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fjesii wrote: »
    The other way to get a respec back in tabletop D&D was to ask your understanding DM to allow it. Not usually a problem.

As far as making choices in this game, I'd rather not have to make the choice between pve and pvp for my character. It'd nice to be able to do both somewhat proficiently.

Normally with free to play games I use the rule of thumb that if its going to work on a player (especially since there is normally some sort of dmg diminish on skills used in pvp with most games) it will work just as good if not better on a mob. The only thing that may hang up some people with that rule could be passives.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It has been to long that gamers have had to pay no attention to choices. This is very inline with a D&D game and I am glad that it is difficult to obtain a respec. I would feel better if you could not respec at all however.

Some of us agree with no respec, but concessions have to be made for the mmo experience. With much reservation, I accept the respec, and you better believe it should be hard to get.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    while this is the first time I played any D&D game online or otherwise, I agree about the respec people act like this is the only MMO F2P or P2P that charges for respec with "real money: (I use term in loose terms because I know you can exchange AD for Zen to buy said respec)

Scarlet blade the other game I am playing does the same thing you want to reset skills you got to buy it from Cash Shop or off AH from other players (who are free to charge as much in game coin as they want, which isn't terribly easy to get)

In rift which was a P2P sure you could use in game to get what you wanted in respecs etc. but then people complain that you had to use Real money to change your race, appearance etc.

I am ok with a respec in the CS because honestly it helps me to pay attention and study before I just click and if somewhere down the road I realize I really really really screwed up then I have to decide do I want to re-rolli the char. or pay to respec it not a big deal either way to me .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

When I DMed, when a choice was made, you lived with it. Hard rules made for a hardened gamer who actually thought out their choices first. None of this willy nilly apply whatever stats and skills wherever and hope for the best. None of that redmage speccing into everything a bit for a jack of all trades character. I didnt have any of that easy going <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> where 'if you failed a diplomacy, intimidate would work' heap. You failed, you felt it.

My d20 wasnt a succeed or fail, it was a gauge on how well you succeeded or how awful you failed. You try to jump a fence running from guards and roll a 1? You dont just slip and miss the jump and have to climb. You slip, lose your footing, trip and stumble and smash your face into the fence, taking 1d4 of nonlethal dmg. Wanna try again? You roll a 20? You clear the fence so perfectly, you actually land on the other side with extra momentum and gain speed for a short duration to outrun the gaurds even further.

My games were intense, edge of your seat trips down excitement alley and if you didnt like it, you could go play monopoly.
  • projaeprojae Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well games like Rift have spoiled the playerbase into thinking that they have to be everything at all times.. It seems the majority thinks of "specialization" as being an old "tradition" and constant cheap respecs allow people to in essence be whatever they want to be at the time.. I say everyone has a role to play.. Yes even you Mr. evenly spread so I can have max utility build..
  • soccermom69soccermom69 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed. I remember the good ol Days. Ultima Online / Diablo 1/2 - No respecs. Impossible. Re-roll!
  • fjesiifjesii Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    My games were intense, edge of your seat trips down excitement alley and if you didnt like it, you could go play monopoly.

... or I could play D&D with my own friends and have a ball. These arguments are useless. You need different builds to be competitive in pvp and pve. Given that fact, there's no reason respecs should be this hard to get. This isn't your tabletop. This is a MMO trying to compete in a market with much better business models and design decisions with respect to what they're charging for. I'd be okay paying money for this game if it weren't for stuff like this, and you can see there are a lot of people that feel as I do. Tell me, is Cryptic better off with or without our money?
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should also make it so everyone is on hardmode and loses their char permanently when they die, I'm sure that would pull players in and make a great game!
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

There is a time and place to be total hardass about something. Changing the specifics on a character in a video game is not one of them. Not everyone who respeccs a character failed to "pay attention". To reduce the entirety of your opposition to clumsy buffoons, proves your only goal here, to defend the game no matter what, going so far as to insult everyone who may disagree preemptively.

and even if they did, what the **** do you care? How is that any of your business?

This is nothing more, than yet another one of your complaining about complaints posts, disguised as some kind of game design theory BS.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I DMed, when a choice was made, you lived with it. Hard rules made for a hardened gamer who actually thought out their choices first.

The fact that you even considered saying this, is so deluded in its proposed grandeur that it boggles the mind. "Hardened gamer"? How much of a real life wuss, do you need to be to consider "hardening" to even be remotely relevant to playing a game.

It takes a special kind of person to make Dungeons and Dragons sound so joyless.
    You're like the Bobby Kotick of Dungeon Masters.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • gruxgrux Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was extremely pleased to find out respeccing is not easy.

I'd like my choices to matter, to pick a style I want and then stick to it. Not have quadra-tri-double-omni-twin options for changing my spec instantly.

If your choices don't matter....then customization is kind of pointless.
  • top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't matter the customization is basically non existent anyway. Like the bonuses you get are so trivial and they give you enough points to basically get all the good ones you want anyway.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ... or I could play D&D with my own friends and have a ball. These arguments are useless. You need different builds to be competitive in pvp and pve. Given that fact, there's no reason respecs should be this hard to get. This isn't your tabletop. This is a MMO trying to compete in a market with much better business models and design decisions with respect to what they're charging for. I'd be okay paying money for this game if it weren't for stuff like this, and you can see there are a lot of people that feel as I do. Tell me, is Cryptic better off with or without our money?

Well you are still playing another game then..In this game it seems you need one build that will function well enough to do everything you want to..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    There is a time and place to be total hardass about something. Changing the specifics on a character in a video game is not one of them. Not everyone who respects a character failed to "pay attention". To reduce the entirety of your opposition to clumsy buffoons, only proves your only goal here, to defend the game no matter what, going so far as to insult everyone who may disagree preemptively.

and even if they did, what the **** do you care? How is that any of your business?

This is nothing more, than yet another one of your complaining about complaints posts, disguised as some kind of game design theory BS.

I am sure you know before I point it out that the logic you are using is a huge circle.

Who are you to insult those of us who like the fact respcing is taken seriously in this game ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Some of us agree with no respec, but concessions have to be made for the mmo experience. With much reservation, I accept the respec, and you better believe it should be hard to get.

I agree with the OP and Thunderspanker :D
    I don't care if it costs money...
    But there shouldn't be respects at all, ideally. If they were free I wouldn't want them available more than once every 2 weeks. I would prefer once a month though.
    edited May 2013
    Respec's at will in a D&D game would feel amazingly cheap to most of us, and im guessing being programers and "nerds" several of the dev's included..You may want to start looking for a new game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commonlispcommonlisp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respec's at will in a D&D game would feel amazingly cheap to most of us, and im guessing being programers and "nerds" several of the dev's included..You may want to start looking for a new game.

In D&D, you know with 100% certainty what a feat actually does. In this game, half the feats are either broken to the point that they don't do anything or their description is so ambiguous that you can't know what it actually does until you actually commit to using it.

Respecs aren't just meant to allow for players to try different specs, but they are also a way for a player to deal with shoddy programming/design and mitigate effects due to patches/changes to how their class works.
  • radaractiveradaractive Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A 4e DnD game should not charge for respec. At least, it should allow the change of one power or feat per level. Charging for a full respec isn't crazy.
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It saddens me that you need to spend Zen, I think the whole AD thing and heck loads of them is fine but having to use Zen is just really iffy :(
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    The fact that you even considered saying this, is so deluded in its proposed grandeur that it boggles the mind. "Hardened gamer"? How much of a real life wuss, do you need to be to consider "hardening" to even be remotely relevant to playing a game.

It takes a special kind of person to make Dungeons and Dragons sound so joyless.
    You're like the Bobby Kotick of Dungeon Masters.

This made me laugh... nicely said
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually do appreciate respecs not being handed out like candy. But it should actually feel rewarding to obtain one.

I remember something in CoH where you had to do a series of missions in order to gain a respec, wouldn't mind having something like that.

Then people with diamonds or money can just plop it down to get a respec NOW as convenience, win/win.
  • nithyannithyan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't aware paying real money to respec was now considered "hard"...
    If it was something like POE - 6 "free" respec points from going through the game, rest handled by a relatively rare single-use drop item - then I might agree.
    edited May 2013
    nithyan wrote: »
    I wasn't aware paying real money to respec was now considered "hard"...
    If it was something like POE - 6 "free" respec points from going through the game, rest handled by a relatively rare single-use drop item - then I might agree.

It is a hard decision in the sense that you have to do it sparingly ..I wold still prefer no respec or at least a long quest line .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My only real issue is the spec I need for pvp and pve are very VERY different on my GF.
  • random1285random1285 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2013

/yawn
    Every DM thinks they're the greatest DM since the game was invented. Try stepping off the pedestal for a while.
    edited May 2013
    My only real issue is the spec I need for pvp and pve are very VERY different on my GF.

Im fine with players having to decide where they excel on a toon per toon basis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hurricaneknapphurricaneknapp Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It isn't about poor choices, it is about game design making it so that PvE and PvP cannot be feasibly done to your full potential with the same spec. If you make respecs too hard to get, which is NOT what PW did, then you merely encourage people to ignore one part of the game. What PW did, was make respecs expensive, not hard. Big difference.
  • g3554g3554 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mistakes do happended, I don't think we should be penialized for it. After all we don't want our characters to suck. We're only human(or whatever race you're playing) after all.