test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Multilevel maps that are not multilevelled in the editor.

daelensaintdaelensaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Using a pre-made map with multiple levels. How do you place an object on a lower floor that does not get the editor box on it when in the map itself? Like one side of a dungeon entrance that takes you to another map altogether. Having a basement in the Human Interior Large Noble House 04. I cannot see the basement in the fuzzy map area in the editor. Having to jump in and out to move the entrance of the Dungeon entrance transition point down to the basement is annoying to say the least. Needing to have an item that can be moved there to figure out the (x,y,z) coordinates in order to place the door in the right place. This is the long complicated way that has been figured out. Not fun and takes more time then manipulating the objects in the map.

Also found that if you have a dungeon entrance transition door. The map walls will make it sit skewed where you put it. It'll look straight when you place it in the editing map. When you go in the entrance will be sideways, angled, or even on the 1st floor in the multilevel maps. Where you have to do the (X,Y,Z) coordinates again by hand in the map editor.

Making maps with a team and we all are finding different problems with the editor that could be simplified by using the 3D maps in the editor over just having them show over on the right hand side before you place them. I have the troubleshooting position where I get to find resources on how to do things that they are having problems with. So, I'll probably be making a lot of Q&A posts here.
Post edited by daelensaint on

Comments

• daelensaintdaelensaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NWN and interior design building programs had a 3D engine that allowed editing in the 3D environment before testing it.
  • akumosakumos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you tried the in-game 3D editing?
  • shyisshyshyisshy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Using a pre-made map with multiple levels. How do you place an object on a lower floor that does not get the editor box on it when in the map itself? Like one side of a dungeon entrance that takes you to another map altogether. Having a basement in the Human Interior Large Noble House 04. I cannot see the basement in the fuzzy map area in the editor. Having to jump in and out to move the entrance of the Dungeon entrance transition point down to the basement is annoying to say the least. Needing to have an item that can be moved there to figure out the (x,y,z) coordinates in order to place the door in the right place. This is the long complicated way that has been figured out. Not fun and takes more time then manipulating the objects in the map.

Also found that if you have a dungeon entrance transition door. The map walls will make it sit skewed where you put it. It'll look straight when you place it in the editing map. When you go in the entrance will be sideways, angled, or even on the 1st floor in the multilevel maps. Where you have to do the (X,Y,Z) coordinates again by hand in the map editor.

Making maps with a team and we all are finding different problems with the editor that could be simplified by using the 3D maps in the editor over just having them show over on the right hand side before you place them. I have the troubleshooting position where I get to find resources on how to do things that they are having problems with. So, I'll probably be making a lot of Q&A posts here.

In the human noble large house preset the basement's floor level is about -10 or -20 I think. You just have to fiddle with the Y coordinate.
  • daelensaintdaelensaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The 3D Editing only works on the static objects. Doesn't work on NPCs, transition points, and rooms to make multilevel custom maps.
  • shyisshyshyisshy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In the human noble large house preset the basement's floor level is about -10 or -20 I think. You just have to fiddle with the Y coordinate.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The best solution is this.. put a bunch of bottles in. i use red ones, cuz i can find them.. then go into 3D edit mode, and move them everywhere you want something. Then go back out of 3D edit mode, into the foundry, and put your objects exactly where the bottles are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea the fact that the editor for a 3d game is in 2d is crazy to me. It's so painful to do anything with the Y axis in this. Really something needs to be done about it.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol. that is what 3D edit mode is for. If you match the Y of the red bottle it is usually right on. As for what to do about it, make a suggestion, instead of just complaining.. I find you get better results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great tip Thunder, I'll have to remember that.