test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new to 4th ed - where to start..

yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, been playing D&D since pnp 1st ed (well not counting chainmail) since 1978 - played a ton of nwn1 & 2, few years on ddo and now on to this game, however, I do not know 4th ed at all and I reaD A CHAR BUILD AND AM LIKE WTF? Divinity, power martial, dailys vs encounters... I am a bit lost.

Where does an old far - um old skool payer like myself get a kickstart on how to play and understand all of this? I have the 4th ed dark sun books, but could hardly make heads and tails from them. Should i go to WOTC site and try to learn 4th ed there? am I going to have to buy the books to learn this or is there a comprehensive manual i can pour over?

Any guidance is much appreciated.
Post edited by yyrkoonstyphoon on

Comments

• delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Vancian spellcasting is dead. There are basically 3 types of "powers" everyone gets now:
    At will, usable once per round.... no limit per day.
    Encounter, usable once per encounter. Kinda powerful, but not groundbreaking
    Daily, usable once a day (12 hours up, 8 hour rest is a day, no less). These are generally OP and win fights, but you have to use wisely.

Everyone gets surges, which heal something like 25% of your max hp. you get a pool daily, but can only use them once per encounter, unless someone gives you access to using more (cleric can let you use an extra for instance)

All adventurers draw power from fundemental forces: Primal (nature), Martial (think fighters), Divine (gods), Arcane (Magic), or Psionic (Mind bullets).

They also took back quantifying everything, and put power back in the DM's hands. Fall a mile and unles you have a magic power to save you, your dead. no "take 24d6, save vs reflex for half." Wanna swim in lava without immunity to fire, your dead, no "10d6 fire damage per round." So as an old school gamer, youd prolly appreciate that.

As for how it applies to this game.... one word for you: loosly
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Additional note for Neverwinter. Its based on 4E but isn't 100%. For example you get all the at will powers, encounter powers, and daily powers you get in the PNP version you can use during the game and any fight. NW on the other claw limits you to 2 active at will powers, 4 encounter powers, and 2 daily powers. Though note you can swap the powers out between combats to mix up your power selection.

Now more specifically.

At Will Powers - 2 of them and they are controlled by the left and right mouse buttons.
    Encounter Powers - 4 of them Q, E, R & Tab are the default activations for them and they are on a timer. So once used they recharge with time.
    Daily powers - use the 1 & 2 key by default, and that polyhedron pattern between their icons fills up as you do specific actions per your class. Once full you can use one of your two active daily powers. For example the control wizard recharges these powers by doing damage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is respecing costly? i am doing my first toon and have no problem doing a learn as i go, but would hate to find(inevitable) that i totally porked my build and such and it is way expensive to redo a toon.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Additional note for Neverwinter. Its based on 4E but isn't 100%.

This is something to remember, especially for builds. It's fine for rp and general character concepts, but the rules are actually quite different from 4e. Many more powers in pen and paper, that just don't translate, and numbers and rules also don't. I'd say wait to respec until people start coming up with more builds, as it is kind of annoying after the first free one. Get an idea of what you like to do, what powers seem fun, and run with that for now.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is respecing costly? i am doing my first toon and have no problem doing a learn as i go, but would hate to find(inevitable) that i totally porked my build and such and it is way expensive to redo a toon.

There is a cost to respec (I "think" you have to use Zen to get it) but you can get zen via exchange (trade AD to Zen) note: AD = Astral Diamond (refined)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think it's 6 - 10 dollars ie 600 or 1000 Zen. That said I wouldn't bother with respecing until they add multiple advancement pathways. Hell the odds are that when they do add new pathways they might go ahead and give a respec token to encourage people to experiment. Though if that is the case hold off on using it until others have burned their fingers on the new shiny and you can tell what is a good option and what is a bad one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daimar1daimar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey.. Thanks for asking this... I was thinking the same thing...

BTW.. is this Ykron from WOG NWN 1st Edition?