test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

exploit

mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
In normal quest line instances, Treasure Chests respawn every ~4.5 minutes.

One of these dungeons (lv 20ish), has 6 (six)Treasure Boxes, & 2 (two) buy/sell NPC's.
A user could exploit this in several ways...

1) Don't leave the instance(s) until you have all +3 green gear, tons of potions, runestones, straight grants of coins, crafting supplies, & whatever else they give.
2) Keep selling the loot to the NPC's inside until your rich (not so much in lower instances but higher ones).
3) Never leave, thus equipping all your guildmates by forming parties to get the items out.
4) (the worst one) Form a full party & auto loot every Treasure Chest with macros...every 4.5 min would net whoever is doing this quite a sum of coins (even in low lv instances), especially if selling said items to other players.

Suggestion(s) to fix:
1) Set the respawn time to at least 2 hours. This way would have the least impact to normal gameplay.
2) Remove the 'sell' tab from NPC's within instances.

I thought of implementing a 'time to leave dungeon' timer after completing all objectives within BUT then someone could simply not complete them all (like killing the boss for example), on purpose.

**now everyone hates me, :p ...just trying to make fair play a reality :)
mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
[SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by mogwai on

Comments

• spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    agreed. Did not notice this myself, nice catch
  • mhtdzmhtdz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    good find. hope the devs will look into this.
    5.jpg
  • malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, leave the sell thing on, just remove the respawn timer period so that the chests only spawn once per player-spawned instance. As for public instances like Cragmire Crypt, the NPCs (and the mimic) respawn there much more quickly than the chest does (I sat in there for an hour, got exactly 3 chests, got my undead kill count stupidly high). I had several guildies do a test: we were in the same global instance, and all went into the Crypt. Not a single one of us ended up in the same Crypt instance. We all had similar results on chest respawns vs npc respawns.

It was actually more profitable per hour to camp respawning chests in the open world areas, where the NPCs are much weaker but the chests have the same loot tables as every other chest in that world area (including the linked dungeon instances of those areas).

This is basically a non-issue.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't think this is an exploit... many times its there so that none melee players get a chance at chest. I have many times seen players run ahead to loot chest (rogues going invisible to stay out of combat) leaving the other party members without loot or melee players looting chest directly after combat because ranged stay out of range of the enemies.

not like those chest contain rare items or lots of cash its the same as enemy drops just have a higher rate of gaining something good and if it takes that long for a chest to respawn its the same as time killing a few enemies the only way this could be exploited is if the chest gave you experience for opening them because the items inside are like looting monsters which if your willing to wait that long means your missing out on the experience to level up.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    there is zero risk, it's 100% profit & with a simple auto repeater to click on one spot a user could leave it on indefinitely
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mogwai wrote: »
    1) Set the respawn time to at least 2 hours. This way would have the least impact to normal gameplay.

The problem is that the engine is coded to shut down instances that are inactive (have no players inside of them) for 5 minutes. This trick is used often in a few missions in CO due to how buggy they are (pathfinding and someone gets stuck, NPC gets stupid and just stands there, any number of bugs). We just tell players to 'leave the mission for 5 minutes, try again' as a solution.

It also keeps server load down as it doesn't have to keep track of empty instances for very long.

I doubt it's something that can be removed on an individual game basis (the same reason why the player run 24 hour chat-ban system is still around despite the number of players exploiting it).

That said - bug? Yes. Can it be easily fixed? I don't know.
    edited March 2013
    i'm talkin about not leaving the instance(s)..read again :)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Of course this is an exploit. Respawn timers have to be look at. Once you enter an instanced dungeon it should be one and done, no respawn timer. This will be an exploiters wet dream if left alone.

As for camp respawning chests in the open world areas... a chest should open once per instance, per toon, and should ransack after 7 grabs per day. After you run over hill and dale 7 times your done until tomorrow on that toon. This way, you cant camp.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mogwai wrote: »
    i'm talkin about not leaving the instance(s)..read again :)

*looks again*

Wait. Why in the world would a chest respawn while you're still in an instance? Who thought that was a good idea?
    edited March 2013
    maybe we're comparing apples & oranges

the type i'm talking about here are the normal ones scattered throughout many of the solo quest instances, ie: not the boss ones. I think u understand now.
    :)
  • mustymusty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    imo, the chest should only spawn one, when it's looted by EACH player, then it never spawns again in that instance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Website Dedicated to Foundry Tutorials: www.NWUGC.com Twitter: @NWUGC
    Check out my Foundry Adventures and don't forget to Rate them!

Gold or Bones!!
  • utahsaintutahsaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is the system in DDO just too hard to implement? Every chest has items for each player when they open it as long as they are in the instance when the chest is opened, one time spawn.
  • eyepatchdudeeyepatchdude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would you consider sharing and resharing a quest, in order to farm the quest reward/chests, an exploit.. The quest/instance would need to be run completely, then restarted, and run again.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they'll stop the chest refresh so people use diamonds for stuff and no other reason. it's good that they fix it but it's not some huge deal. You can make more killing stuff for 5 minutes and the vendor trash who cares? gold is almost worthless as you play more. Maybe it's me but my main has far more gold than things to buy with gold.
  • eyepatchdudeeyepatchdude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well beaghan, I feel the same way, this morning before downtime I was standing by the stable merchant and gave a random person 5g to get their mount.. made me feel good, and pleasantly surprised them
  • mtgoblumtgoblu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im not sure if this comes under the same topic but i was playing last night (after DT) and started a a party with a friend after dragons bridge and found a bug thing to get the same quest twice with full rewards twice, we only did this on the 'Get rewards' quest to check and then accepted another to repeat the process to see if it was a one off but it appears to be at least the starting area