test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Servers?

razzy415razzy415 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Maybe we could petition for a Founders exclusive server? The Founders could possibly be the very serious gamers who really loved the game. Take note we coughed up money to support the game in advance and we'd like to see it grow. Mixing us in with the non-serious community and having us suffer lag or over crowdedness can definitely put off the loyal community that would really like this game to grow.

Having an exclusive server obviously has its pros and cons but it could very much be worth it in the end.

Thoughts?
Post edited by razzy415 on

Comments

• banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    No thanks. 3+ hour queues for Dungeons and Skirmishes. Quite certain 80% of the Founders went TR.

As much as I hate how much the quality of the forums and game has declined within a period of an hour, it is a necessary evil to easily progress through content.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No Thanks
    The lag will smooth out , all games are laggy first week .
  • brybobobobobrybobobobo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow kid. Really? I just....you....sigh......
  • extornextorn Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not really a good idea to segregate the community like that.
  • razzy415razzy415 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well there's got to be a way where Founders get to queue up to get in the servers faster...Not all Founders went TR, most Founders actually came from a different game that we all played in. I have a group of RL friends that we've talked about playing this game with, and we all set up a 5 man team. GF, GWF, TR, CW, and DC.
  • justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    banicks wrote: »
    No thanks. 3+ hour queues for Dungeons and Skirmishes. Quite certain 80% of the Founders went TR.

As much as I hate how much the quality of the forums and game has declined within a period of an hour, it is a necessary evil to easily progress through content.
    What makes you say that the forum and game quality have declined, they seem about the same as they were during beta. Couldn't have been much better during that small window for founders. Well maybe less lag but that's it

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • mystic43344mystic43344 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I said in another thread...they posted in-game that lag was a firewall issue on their servers. Nothing to do with being founder or not lol
  • draugotdraugot Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seeming they are going for one mega-server that is not likely to happen. Not to mention most of my friends are not founders and this would limit me to the non-founder servers anyway. And to claim that founders are more serious gamers then non-founders is rather elitist as a lot of people just can't pay the founder cost.
  • jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    razzy415 wrote: »
    Maybe we could petition for a Founders exclusive server? The Founders could possibly be the very serious gamers who really loved the game. Take note we coughed up money to support the game in advance and we'd like to see it grow. Mixing us in with the non-serious community and having us suffer lag or over crowdedness can definitely put off the loyal community that would really like this game to grow.

Having an exclusive server obviously has its pros and cons but it could very much be worth it in the end.

Thoughts?
    I dont see you sporting a founder tag so how is that WE?

Plus all it would take is for PWE to pull their heads out of their behinds and launch more servers.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What makes you say that the forum and game quality have declined, they seem about the same as they were during beta. Couldn't have been much better during that small window for founders. Well maybe less lag but that's it

Actually, everyone was quite friendly and helpful during early access. The only rough patches were the Name trolls, who all jumped in as drizzt to get a rise out of the community. It was rather funny. But all in all, it was a very pleasant and friendly community for early access.

Although I only played on Dragon, can't speak for the other servers.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nah. It is better that we are all together. It is better in the long run. You don't want to have "fragmented" population that can't play with each other (like other MMO)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Nah. It is better that we are all together. It is better in the long run. You don't want to have "fragmented" population that can't play with each other (like other MMO)

Unless the network infrastructure is so fundamentally flawed that it won't work -Rolls eyes-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • razzy415razzy415 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »

Plus all it would take is for PWE to pull their heads out of their behinds and launch more servers.

Didn't mean to sound elitist by segregating the Founders from the Non-Founders, but I was just simply throwing out ideas out there. Of course there are non-Founders who are really serious about playing the game, simply where I was heading is to prevent spammers, gold farmers, and what not whose business is not to play but to make money. That's what I meant by serious gamers.

On a side note how do I enable my Founder Tag? I am a Founder just so you know, who in their right mind would talk about this kinds of issues if they're not a Founder to begin with?
  • shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »

Aye I agree they should have released way more servers than three on the release of a f2P game. I am seriously not understanding why it is only three at this beginning in the first place.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    More servers? Yes.
    Why they chose to only make 3 shards, while leaving their servers open to every region in the world, is beyond me.

But a server just for founders? Hell no.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    shadow71 wrote: »
    Aye I agree they should have released way more servers than three on the release of a f2P game. I am seriously not understanding why it is only three at this beginning in the first place.

Three servers sharing the same infrastructure is little different than 20 servers sharing the same infrastructure. An argument could possibly be made the need multiple server installations on completely independent infrastructure, but that is expensive and I for one would rather put up with some minor issues the week of launch. In either case the number of servers is of little to no relevance for the thpe of problems today. They could have split these into 40 servers and with the same backend problems they would have same issue.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    razzy415 wrote: »
    Didn't mean to sound elitist by segregating the Founders from the Non-Founders, but I was just simply throwing out ideas out there. Of course there are non-Founders who are really serious about playing the game, simply where I was heading is to prevent spammers, gold farmers, and what not whose business is not to play but to make money. That's what I meant by serious gamers.

On a side note how do I enable my Founder Tag? I am a Founder just so you know, who in their right mind would talk about this kinds of issues if they're not a Founder to begin with?

The main problem with this is it is not a reasonable request. Even if we forget the cost factor involved (assuming we are talking completely seperate physical servers which is the only way to insulate from all these problems). You still have the issue of too small a population base to support queues etc other than maybe first few weeks. After that of course it is dying ssrver because people quit over time and you have no way to replinish. Then factors like many/most founders would not like to be segregated from friends family who may not be founders so they would play regular server. Seems to me just a bad idea all around.
  • famousamos#6123 famousamos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why not open 1-2 more servers to help with the queues?
  • jeronanjeronan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    Why not open 1-2 more servers to help with the queues?

They don't have the hardware and never will. They just wait till enough freeloaders give up and leave and Things settle Down by itself.

Cryptic invest in a fix set of hardware With a fixed set of capacity in mind. Was the same With STO. We had to suffer long Queue times and horrendous lag for weeks, until enough People got fed up and quit and Things settled Down. :mad:
  • synner82synner82 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bet they won't when they can make more money off selling more founder packs
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited April 2013
    jeronan wrote: »
    They don't have the hardware and never will. They just wait till enough freeloaders give up and leave and Things settle Down by itself.

We have plans in place to improve the server performance.
  • jeronanjeronan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013

Oh Yeah? Just like you said With STO launch? Telling us this tale for weeks without anything actually improving!

Come on now! We suffered long Queue times and horrendous lag for weeks, until the population itself fixed it by enough People leaving.

I have been through enough MMO launches and know when Companies have spare servers in Place to open up more and when they don't.

6 hours later and the Queue times are only increasing! Not decreasing!
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

open up more servers already..how do you not have more servers/shards ready to go?
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Opening new servers the first day of OB or launch can be an error when people stop logging on for long hours (like they do at launch). This might turn into a long term mistake when people start to scream "MY SERVER IS A GHOST TOWN" and ask for merge.
    If they see that there is indeed a surging number of players (and of packs sold), they will react accordingly (I hope...)

BTW I went from 2550 to 488 in about 10 minutes (I hope it doesn't start to go up now that I spoke...)
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It is really better to expand server capacity, rather than making more servers.
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    maybe not a founders server, since we do have friends that are non founders, but i wouldnt mind to be given abit more priority in the que ^^
    edited April 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    Opening new servers the first day of OB or launch can be an error when people stop logging on for long hours (like they do at launch). This might turn into a long term mistake when people start to scream "MY SERVER IS A GHOST TOWN" and ask for merge.
    If they see that there is indeed a surging number of players (and of packs sold), they will react accordingly (I hope...)

That only happens if too many servers are opened at once, which is why I asked for 1-2 to open only. At this point, people are reporting 5k+ in queue and it is not even prime time yet in the states. Opening one server, will not result in the other three turning into ghost towns; opening 5-10, probably will.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    allaerra wrote: »

There aren't really servers as such, they are clusters. Hey, BTW I am in!
    edited April 2013
    allaerra wrote: »

True, but that only applies if the servers are not already at capacity.. servers after all can only handle so much. I hope for the sake of the game we are all able to log in soon without much queue at all.
    edited April 2013
    That only happens if too many servers are opened at once, which is why I asked for 1-2 to open only. At this point, people are reporting 5k+ in queue and it is not even prime time yet in the states. Opening one server, will not result in the other three turning into ghost towns; opening 5-10, probably will.

Yeah but honestly, I am in after 10 minutes so it's not overkill. Now, if the servers are so overloaded that you get MEGA lag, well that's an entirely different thing. BTW in teh FAQ they say they plan to merge servers down the road (of course depending on how successful the game is)
This discussion has been closed.