test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kartofflens GWF destroyer compendium

kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
Going to preface this guide by saying the first 35 levels of GWF absolutely suck and cryptic needs to do something about that. Ok enough of the complaint on to how to Pwn face.
So When and how does the GWF become a power house of carnage you ask? At around lvl 40 nobody and I do mean nobody will compete with your DPS if you even remotely a decent player.

Stat choices: Simply put power is going to be your friend, next will be defense followed by critical you'll understand why very shortly.

Gear: I don't honestly care for the "Recommended" caption on gear I personally used a lvl 26 bracer until lvl 52 because it simply had 181 power and nothing else came close. So as far as gear score goes forget it itemization is king.

Races: Pick your poison some are better than others and IMO humans will probably be the best when feats get fixed.

Feat choices: human bonus feat starred

5/5 Unstoppable action
3/3 Disciple of strength
3/3 endless assault
5/5 steely defense
3/3 devastating critical
1/3 weapon mastery
*3/3 Armor specialization ( needs to be fixed currently the tool tip does not update the 15% not sure if the feat isnt working or if just does not apply the number to your character sheet)
5/5 Great weapon focus
5/5 Deep gash
5/5 Staying power
5/5 Battle awareness
5/5 Disciple of war (This feat can be interchanged before you get the end tier armor which has a lot of recovery on it, with 5/5 unstoppable recovery)
1/1 Destroyer's purpose
5/5 Student of the sword

Power set up for lvl 60

Steadfast determination
Steel blitz
Roar
Flourish
Indomitable battle strike
Slam
Crescendo
Sure strike
Master strike

Misc issues: Cryptic please look into feats adding to character sheet tool tips, this will help prevent confusion on if talent's are working or broken. Such as Battle awareness and steely defense not updating your character sheet.

So why these choices you ask your answer would be synergy. All of this combines to make you an unstoppable wrecking force on the battlefield. Play set up like this and believe me you'll have the TR's crying on the forums in no time.

More to be added later such as total end game stats and %'s.
Post edited by kartofflen on

Comments

• kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Reserved for later
  • kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    Reserved for later use
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    have you figured out how deflect works as opposed to defense, and what recovery is exactly?

recovery could mean recovery from CC or it could mean recovery from swings.

GWF goes quite off balance when he swings so it sounds like recovery could be an important stat
  • erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    Recovery reduces cooldown on powers and increases action point gain.
    edited April 2013
    Honestly the recovery talent is two fold for this build as a lot of end game gear has it on it. Allows you to convert recovery into Arpen so double dipping is always good.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i wish they could creat a more even leveling and power gain/distribution, i dont want to suck 40 levels, i dont want to be op for 20 levels, i just want to be as powerful as everyone else all the time but better at my specific role
  • xorakx6xorakx6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just curious to why you would not take Focused Destroyer over Unstoppable Recovery until you get the Recovery Set. Wouldn't having a 25% chance to get a stack of destroyer which disregards the 3 target requirement be better for Boss battles and PvP. Im not sure what your HP pool is at 60 but 5% hp only during unstoppable doesnt seem like it would out way the other.
    edited April 2013
    Because I use steadfast determination. Point of the build is to get unstoppable as fast as possible to build up to slam for burst from the 25% ap gain. Thus no destroyer
    edited April 2013
    i wish they could creat a more even leveling and power gain/distribution, i dont want to suck 40 levels, i dont want to be op for 20 levels, i just want to be as powerful as everyone else all the time but better at my specific role

That's a cryptic problem I work with what I'm given.
  • gbachuragbachura Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    Kartoffeln, you have a problem here. You're trying to put more than 20 points into heroic feats. You can only put 20 into heroic, but your last one of armor spec. is 3/3 but you don't have enough points to put any into that.
    BachuraBanner2_zps54c0e752.png
    Credit to original artwork by Michael Whelan, go check out his stuff it's awesome!

►● Characters ●◄
    ♠ Talrik Threefinger ♠ Eredis Mal ♠ Soltyrr Do'rret ♠

Try my Foundry Jumping Puzzles!
    edited April 2013
    Read the note. Human feat bonus of +3
  • gbachuragbachura Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    kartofflen wrote: »
    Read the note. Human feat bonus of +3

Ah. Of course. Because I'm not a human. Oh well, I'll be a little less tanky I suppose. Going to try this out and then offer my first impressions after running an entry level heroic dungeon. Cheers!
    Credit to original artwork by Michael Whelan, go check out his stuff it's awesome!

►● Characters ●◄

• rawnzimmrawnzimm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have tried this out for the past 2 days and I must say it blows the boots off my old spec. I can compete easily with rogues and CW. Sometimes blowing them out of the water. once I get my power and defense up a bit more I think I will dominate without having to press any keys.

Also using destroyer class feature is fantastic against groups in place of steel blitz but steel blitz can proc off each contact of your aoe attacks meaning if you hit 5 targets you have a chance for each of those to be an extra hit that could crit.

I am testing steel blitz and will likely test it upto lvl 60 to get a better idea for comparisons.
    Currently GWF sucks pre lvl 35 but dominates 40+
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

1) develop own game
    2) develop as want
    3)??? profit
  • ebonsonebonson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    have you figured out how deflect works as opposed to defense, and what recovery is exactly?

recovery could mean recovery from CC or it could mean recovery from swings.

GWF goes quite off balance when he swings so it sounds like recovery could be an important stat

Recovery lowers cool down on encounters, the higher the number the faster your skills recover. Deflect is a passive defense like parry or block in other MMOs. It changes based on class but when you deflect you take less damage, for GWF it's 50% less for TR it's only 25%. If you see a red number (damage taken) with a broken arrow near it then that means you deflected that attack.
    edited April 2013
    I am noticing after respec that I am much more paperthin. I'm a bit of a glass cannon with this build, and running epic dungeons means people assume GWF = Tank, which is not the case. Anyways, I die quickly if we don't have a cleric on hand, or a dedicated tank.

Still, the damage is much better. I was keeping up with much better geared TR's in Epic Cloak Tower dungeon.

►● Characters ●◄

edited April 2013
    Yea im sure that more survivability will come with the gear, it is however a start.
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Can you give a detailed comparison of your hp/defense compared to that of other level 60 classes?
    edited April 2013
    Sure I mean i dont have much lvl 60 gear yet it's hard to get into the dungeons but will update soon.
  • falafelfoxfalafelfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I plan to use this for my leveling experience as a guide. i have a strong/amazing guild so being a little on the weaker side solo is fine as long as I beast groups, but in ref to solo:

What companion did/do you use, and what issues have you found with solo content and this build?
  • viciousfettiviciousfetti Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    just curious but have you tried this in pvp ive been wanting to try GWF for dps and not use the cookie cutter rouge but was told by many that the GWF sucked for dpsing and CW was better so just curious if its a waste of time or not
    edited April 2013
    I will say this: I kept up with TR's geared at/above my level, and the only problem comes when the TR's go stealth and you get screwed by how much aggro you're generating with all your DPS and your PBAoE's effects.

This build would be amazing with a proper team of GF tank, Heals Cleric, and CW/TR dps. Basically one of every class. And it still works otherwise, it's just requiring a bit more discipline with your dodging and movement.

Props to your efforts here 'potato.' ;)

►● Characters ●◄

edited April 2013
    Thanks :) I just got lvl 60 tonight and have to say my damage about doubled with the delzoun sword. What used to be 5-7k crits are now 8-10k crits.
    edited April 2013
    just curious but have you tried this in pvp ive been wanting to try GWF for dps and not use the cookie cutter rouge but was told by many that the GWF sucked for dpsing and CW was better so just curious if its a waste of time or not

Honestly It would work but you'd have to replace some abilities particular roar with like a CC breaker. Though i'll let the pvp experts hash that mess out.
    edited April 2013
    falafelfox wrote: »
    I plan to use this for my leveling experience as a guide. i have a strong/amazing guild so being a little on the weaker side solo is fine as long as I beast groups, but in ref to solo:

What companion did/do you use, and what issues have you found with solo content and this build?

Honestly 0 issues soloing roughly 20-30 minutes a level and the cleric simply because the other ones AI stinks and saves on heal pots really.
  • chodeslamchodeslam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey when using your attribute points did you second mostly CON or Dex?
  • viciousfettiviciousfetti Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kartofflen wrote: »
    Honestly It would work but you'd have to replace some abilities particular roar with like a CC breaker. Though i'll let the pvp experts hash that mess out.

so u tellin me i could keep up with a rouge/CW in damage if i use this guide? pve wise
  • purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm quite curious, does Human seem to 'scale up' better due to the bonus feats to make it outweigh Half-orcs being able to do +2 Str +2 Dex and 5% bonus crit damage?
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • kelteelkelteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    purutzil wrote: »
    I'm quite curious, does Human seem to 'scale up' better due to the bonus feats to make it outweigh Half-orcs being able to do +2 Str +2 Dex and 5% bonus crit damage?

Well, a half orc would do more damage, while a human would have better defense. The Build suggested by the TE does use the 3 "human feat points" in a defensive talent and humans also get +3% defense.
  • therepstertherepster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With this build, Both get 2 strength

Human gets 3/3 armor spec, 1/3 weapon mastery (1%crit), 3/3 devestating critical(5% crit severity per point)

Half-Orc gets 3 less feats from above, +5% severity, +2 dex/con

So in essence Half-Orc can go full damage output to outdo the human ( 5% more crit severity and the advatages of +2con/dex), and be less durable(15% less armor). OR be about on par with the same armor ( -1% crit and 5%severity for +2con/dex)

Human could also go more crit, and basicly make it a choice between 5% armor VS 2% AoE resist 1% deflect and 5% severity in a 1/3 armor 3/3 crit 3/3 serverity Vs Half orcs 0/3 armor 1/3 crit 3/3 serverity +2dex.

Basicly, Bawls out damage, Half Orc wins, Otherwise, pros and cons for either side end up being what looks better in a suit of Scale Mail.