test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lair of the Mad Dragon - Opinions? (And a tip?)

thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So, I just completed the Lair of the Mad Dragon at level 33 with 4 other random people I got paired with. That final boss fight was intense... very, very intense. The amount of spawns and adds plus the dragon's crazy damage AOEs make the fight very hard. I'd just like to know what you guys think of this dungeon. I'm not a huge MMO player, played GW2 up to level 15, played WoW to 65 and now NW to level 33 since the Hero of the North early access started and this was by far the hardest boss I've ever fought.
I imagine some of you are laughing at me and you probably beat him with no issues, but I'm no pro and that was quite the challenge. Anyways, how do you feel about that boss battle? Too hard? Too many mob spawns? I felt that the reward for spending so many resources, potions and time on that boss was unsatisfying.

PS: Quick tip (not sure if this is obvious or not, but whatever), we won on our fourth try with a simple technique, the DPS stood next to the cleric (in our case, a rogue, gwf, and me (rogue)) and kept the adds off of him while our tank took focused the dragon. It took a bit longer, but we finished him off with only one casualty (because he/she crashed actually). Good luck.
Post edited by thetacoofdoom on

Comments

• erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    That fight is more surprising than hard. It forces you to play as a team, and to actually take the time to burn down adds, which most pick-up groups don't do - and fail. The strategy you found is a valid one and is applicable to many other fights as well.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So, I just completed the Lair of the Mad Dragon at level 33 with 4 other random people I got paired with. That final boss fight was intense... very, very intense. The amount of spawns and adds plus the dragon's crazy damage AOEs make the fight very hard. I'd just like to know what you guys think of this dungeon. I'm not a huge MMO player, played GW2 up to level 15, played WoW to 65 and now NW to level 33 since the Hero of the North early access started and this was by far the hardest boss I've ever fought.
    I imagine some of you are laughing at me and you probably beat him with no issues, but I'm no pro and that was quite the challenge. Anyways, how do you feel about that boss battle? Too hard? Too many mob spawns? I felt that the reward for spending so many resources, potions and time on that boss was unsatisfying.

PS: Quick tip (not sure if this is obvious or not, but whatever), we won on our fourth try with a simple technique, the DPS stood next to the cleric (in our case, a rogue, gwf, and me (rogue)) and kept the adds off of him while our tank took focused the dragon. It took a bit longer, but we finished him off with only one casualty (because he/she crashed actually). Good luck.

the only sad part of your post is what you added in postscript - the fact it took 3 wipes for the dps to realize they had to keep the adds off their single healer, and that the tank should be focus tanking the big boss. this is holy-trinity based mmorpg 101.
  • thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    the only sad part of your post is what you added in postscript - the fact it took 3 wipes for the dps to realize they had to keep the adds off their single healer, and that the tank should be focus tanking the big boss. this is holy-trinity based mmorpg 101.

I know. As I said, I'm not a huge MMORPG player so my experience with dungeons and 5 man bosses is minimal.
    On our first try I was the only one attempting to protect the cleric but I was yelled at for not damaging the boss, so I left the cleric and went to smash the dragon. Our whole team died when the dragon was still at 80 percent HP.
    Second try - we all kind of did our own thing, everybody apart from the rogue and I (also a rogue) died at 75 percent dragon HP but we managed to two-man him to 30 percent HP. Don't ask me how... it was crazy and lucky.
    Third try - we started getting organized and we got to 50 percent before the other three died and the rogue and I two manned to 25 percent.
    Fourth - We protected cleric and let tank do the damage, we won.
  • morterictusgrinmorterictusgrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Terrible boss fight. Infinite adds that never stop spawning and they drop aoe along with the boss which made movement difficult. We wiped three times then on the fourth time after about what seemed like forever we killed him. I noticed at the end our healer died but not sure when. Everyone was spamming those free $15 buck health stones you get for buying the pack. The encounter was awful and they need to rework it because it wasn't challenging it was frustratingly bad and not fun at all.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    they better not try to nerf this before i get my chance to try it ;)
    21.jpg
  • thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find the boss fight to be really cool and intense, the real problem is the adds. They need to tone those down a bit, or maybe lower the amount of AOE that's shat out of everything. It's 80 percent red circle, 20 percent stone ground.
  • quo2rquo2r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Managed to get the boss low 2x, on the third attempt, my power kicked off and logged onto a injured character and no party.

Fights like this and others, where mobs don't stop spawning or boss has incredibly high health and just spams aoe. The same thing over and over, its not fun, its not hard, like someone else said, its frustrating.
  • fredbakanfredbakan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 64
    edited April 2013
    I tanked him yesterday it is really hard. We killed him with this tactic.

as i tank i just stayed on boss and our other guys killed adds asap. i used 7 times greater stone to help out our healer healing. so they didnt spent time to heal me. kill all adds from eayist one to hardest one.
  • logludloglud Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First off love the design of this fight. This fight is what so many MMO's are missing. Secondly there are two major strats that I have discovered as a tank. One of which is an interesting one but seems to work pretty well.

OPTION 1:
    Tanks stays on boss, every one group together and pull adds towards you and kill them. There is on folly in this because an elite will spawn and go and smack your squishies whom are trying to protect the cleric. This method most of the time works as long as you kill the adds quickly.

OPTION 2:
    Trickster tanks the dragon. All moves and attacks can be mitigated through stealth and such. The GF picks up the adds as they spawn and every one takes them down. Rotate onto the boss when no Magus are up. Prioritize Mangus as they are hardest to pull to location, preferable everyone moves to one when they spawn. Taking all adds with them.

The advantage to option two is you have constant damage by the trickster whom takes little damage, and as long as your tank can try and have what little "taunting" he can do and the DPS takes adds then boss, adds then boss, as a rotation, your golden.
  • crshdcrshd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    Lol so rogues not only destroy the dps but also tank ? My intention to roll a GWF is diminishing fairly rapidly :)
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

This is actually a tactic that exists in MMOs since the begining of time (well since the 00s but nm).I sure hope the game has more to offer in terms of group tactics than "dps clearing trash while healer healing tank" but I guess that will be the case at level cap.
  • quo2rquo2r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks like every skirmish and dungeon is like this. I am skipping these frustrating events until they get tuned.
  • molldybuttmolldybutt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    After doing this boss for the first time I had a blast! I've had plenty of Tera experience so I'm used to avoiding AOE storms. We only really had problems because that Area was bad with lag, I was rubber banding and poeple were DCing. The method we used was we had 1 of our 2 clerics tank/kite the boss and deal damage to it while me (CW) our GF, Rogue, and 2nd Cleric dpsed adds. I would use singularity to pull them all together and mass aoe them for good dps then slowly burn them 1 by 1. When there was just 1 or 2 adds I would cycle between dpsing the boss and CCing the adds or use aoes if they were close enough to the boss to dps both.

At the end though we had only lost the previous times due to Comcast being derps to group mates. The fight is quite fun the adds can be a little excessive but all in all I had a blast. Be thankful it's not like Tera were bosses 1 shot you for not getting out of the aoes fast enough. :P

And let it be known that stealthy dps classes have been known to be the tanks of choice in other games too. Like Aion! Fighting the boss Tahabata an Assassin tank was need so you can aviod certain 1 shot moves that a real tank most likely couldn't live through.
    But in this game it would be better on this boss to have the tank round up all the adds so we can all smash em with aoes.
    Cleric.jpg
    Healer for life. Except not that ugly.
  • veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We basically did the same tactic except we had a CW tank the dragon why I tanked the adds. Once adds popped all but the CW of course, focused killed the Magus. Imps really was more of a pain in the rear and typically died in AoE or were tainted via AoE.
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • philbe63philbe63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you all who posted. I had my first go at the big, bad, green dragon yesterday and it was a mess. At least now I have an idea of how to approach the fight.
  • mcdoobinzmcdoobinz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The people that are saying this is too hard are blowing my mind right now. I one shot that dragon with my group through the use of basic MMO tactics that have been around since before vanilla wow. It was an epic fight though as I said. And has left me disappointed in some of the other bosses after. The good thing is though is that that disappointment is only so valid because I am 52, and haven't gotten to dip into the hard modes yet.
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quo2r wrote: »
    Looks like every skirmish and dungeon is like this. I am skipping these frustrating events until they get tuned.

Only this boss & the werewolf female boss I think in the zone after this are slightly on the difficult side. It's about avoiding the red circles & killing the adds. The bosses I've faced after those two seem to be tuned better. Having said that, I hope they don't change these bosses, they are fun & when you do kill them, you feel much more satisfied than if you killed a simple boss.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • psycotimipsycotimi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First boss in whole game where we really need to pay attention on what to do. We were group of 5 gathered from local chat, kill was quite easy, but took some time. Please do not nerf this never ever, it's fine as it is. (Downed this boss on first attempt.)