test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

panther companion purpose

beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
why is it's damage so low??
it's a tier 3 companion, it's bad enough that it's attacks are so slow they are only good on very hard monsters and bosses.
even geared and with high level runes it's still not as good as the basic dog.

so is it's only purpose to look cool?

and yeah my panther is level 20 now so it's not like I haven't given him a chance, I figure I'll switch once he's 30 to something effective but it surprises me that he would be meant to be so gimped.
Post edited by beaghan1 on

Comments

• identifiedgodidentifiedgod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Indeed, panther is useless for me. Also his AI is very low.
  • notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    beaghan1 wrote: »
    why is it's damage so low??
    it's a tier 3 companion, it's bad enough that it's attacks are so slow they are only good on very hard monsters and bosses.
    even geared and with high level runes it's still not as good as the basic dog.

so is it's only purpose to look cool?

and yeah my panther is level 20 now so it's not like I haven't given him a chance, I figure I'll switch once he's 30 to something effective but it surprises me that he would be meant to be so gimped.

Its not good on hard bosses either. The free striker dog companion we all get is better.

Something about the AI on the panther is wonky. Also I often find him charging his attack and then attacking air. Wth?
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Protector will run in and hit things happily, for a wizard, but the pather needs you to be within a range far lower than the 80' maximum of spells.

And if you're seeing your hit stuff think yourself lucky. Mine tends to wait ages, run up and sniff them for a bit then once they're dead take a swipe or pounce at the vanishing corpse. Main reason I use it is I found a stat sharing rune.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Protector will run in and hit things happily, for a wizard, but the pather needs you to be within a range far lower than the 80' maximum of spells.

And if you're seeing your hit stuff think yourself lucky. Mine tends to wait ages, run up and sniff them for a bit then once they're dead take a swipe or pounce at the vanishing corpse. Main reason I use it is I found a stat sharing rune.

Well at least its protecting you from vanishing corpses! It needs to sniff them out first though.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I tend to use my cleric companion more than my Panther sadly, the Panther just doesn't offer anything to the fight. At least the dog knocked people down. For an Epic T3 Companion he sure does leave a lot to be desired.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've found my defender companion to be far more active than the cat as well. For something so expensive, it certainly is a very useless and forgettable little thing, I'm sorry to say. I can't speak much about the damage it does when it actually DOES participate in the fight, but it barely ever does that until i get in close and after a long delay. Then the fight generally is over.
  • notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »
    I've found my defender companion to be far more active than the cat as well. For something so expensive, it certainly is a very useless and forgettable little thing, I'm sorry to say. I can't speak much about the damage it does when it actually DOES participate in the fight, but it barely ever does that until i get in close and after a long delay. Then the fight generally is over.

It's damage is low too. Cryptic really fd up here.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He seems more of a tank to me . I'm a GWF and he can hold agro so I flank dungeon bosses . I got 2 xp runes in him and the last rune is shared stats . So I haven't pumped his damage except with armor penetrating gear . He is currently training level 17 and I just made 30 . My cleric in BW3 died at the start of every boss fight . This guy can survive most , and when he does die its close enough to the end .
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »

The damage is low. Very low. But like you said, it doesn't actually do anything anyway.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I got my panther to rank 16 just by basically dragging his useless carcass around while I solo without his help for the most part. But every so often, it's like he 'wakes up' and kicks booty. Last night, I was doing a Foundry Mission with a couple of guildmates and one was a Control Wizard. I was going to pull a bunch around a corner for the CW to hit with Area Affect. I pulled about 12 would-be victims down a hall, we went around the corner, and nothing happened. Looked down the hall and my panther was soloing all 12 mobs. We stood around and talked until the panther had killed 9 of them, the others were all damaged, and the panther was at 60% health. Seriously weird. The mobs were 2 levels lower than me, all level 28.

But except for that 1 time, I've really never saw him do anything but get stuck, stand off a bit, stick his head through a wall, and generally find multiple other ways to be completely useless...
  • ledarrledarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only viable companion without trying somethign from the Zen store is the protector. I just wish there was some control to make them attack first. Sucks having to draw agro as a wizard then the pet goes. This is not to bad when there is only two or three mobs, but I did the graveyad the other day and had 2 groups of like 5 heach coming at me. Since you can't run and cast, kiting is a pain in the butt.
  • sosjojurorsosjojuror Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I found it's too slow for me on my rogue, but when I'm leveling my GF, it's quite awesome. I just block and it kills them for me. Really suits my laid back playing style.
  • temuchin9999temuchin9999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my panther is level 29 and can be relied on to die in every encounter. Not a good companion for a TR. Hopefully the level 30 attack will justify keeping him around. What is the bets companion for a soloing TR?