test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trickster Rogue, solo vs Captain Kayliss on Pirate's Hold. Impossible?

lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Has anyone beat Captain Kayliss solo with a Trickster Rogue? The adds are insane. I tried mutliple times using every thing I could think of. Even with some movement gear, I couldn't keep ahead of the DPS. I kept being peppered with ranged attacks. Bait and Switch Decoy was useless. It's just melted.

If anyone with a Trickster Rogue beat Kayliss. If so how? What abilities do you use? What companion? What tactics? I really don't want to admit defeat, but I'm out of ideas and I'm nearly an invalid due to so many injures. (OK I may be exaggerating on that last bit.).
Post edited by lordfuzun on

Comments

• zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Has anyone beat Captain Kayliss solo with a Trickster Rogue? The adds are insane. I tried mutliple times using every thing I could think of. Even with some movement gear, I couldn't keep ahead of the DPS. I kept being peppered with ranged attacks. Bait and Switch Decoy was useless. It's just melted.

If anyone with a Trickster Rogue beat Kayliss. If so how? What abilities do you use? What companion? What tactics? I really don't want to admit defeat, but I'm out of ideas and I'm nearly an invalid due to so many injures. (OK I may be exaggerating on that last bit.).

I used cleric companion (the white one, she dies really fast but you can rez her when you got time and she will toss a heal before she dies again..most of the time), was kind of hard but I never died on it. What daily powers do you use? I used lurkers assault to get longer time in stealth and killed the larger adds first.
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I helped a rogue on my cleric today... what with my dps and aoes and my golem tanking like a pro... all melted away fast.
    I think a golem at level 30 has enough self-healing to keep boss busy while you chase around the ads. Range ads are annoying fast.
  • kellionbanekellionbane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I solo'd it... Throwing daggers are OP. ;)

I had a tank companion, but being common quality (level 15 max) he went down really fast.
  • mythdrannor32mythdrannor32 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Solo'd it easily with cleric pet. It's a lot easier than some of the boss fights you will come across. better get used to it. Moving around and being aware of your surroundings is key. Spam your pots/health stones. Try loading a defense buff pot or such.
    Stormfyre03-1.png
  • kitkatmariekitkatmarie Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm really having a hard time with this one too. He must have killed me 10 times!

I can kill him but I die too before the adds and stuff, and it resets him. I am using my level 13 tank pet and I run in and kill the first 4 adds really fast. Then I try to get my 10 stacks of Flurry on the boss. I think its around now that my tank dies.

When the boss turns to me I try to renew my Flurry on him, then do Lurkers Assault and Stealth + potion. When my stealth is just about up I try to use Bait and Switch.

By then he is usually around 10 or 15% left. I can kill the boss with my bleed but I can't handle the adds after, so he'll just die and reset again. :(
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stealth refillers. Use stealth, at the end of it bait n switch, then shadow strike, when it's about to expire again, then use lurkers. By the time lurkers is over stealth gets refilled if you have that passive, if not you should be having cd's up again.. Wasn't a hard fight at all
  • kitkatmariekitkatmarie Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks I don't have Shadow Strike yet. I am using all of the stealth refilling tricks that I have as I mentioned. I'll have to get Shadow Strike and try it again.
  • mrfappmeistermrfappmeister Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    Captain Kayliss, another good example for the all-the-same, boring bosses all with the" who can vomiting up more adds and drown you into it" or the other tactis they use "who can vomiting up more add into the middle of their aoe and drown you into it". This imho just boring and annoying.

Btw, I defeated her for a 2nd try, she being a troll boss I had to use an old troll method, which was luring her away into the caverns after killing the first easy adds, the in the cave, it have a slight turn, which allows me to kill her adds one ore wo at a time, and not being shot from ranged adds,using stealth, the 'flurry' at will and dazing strike, (i trying to bulid a massive dps build now on sabotage paragon since respec have insane costs, like 70k ad, at least i can dodge more with it ) and finnally bloodbath whe she have the least adds close. And the adds she spawns later are back a bit, so again and take some time to get where i am and notice me, so i have the time to nuke her with flurry, dazing stire and the blink which put you behind her back ,bloodbath and lashing strike if I remeber the name of it correct. So the plus stuns also prevent her from lifestela and slowing the spawning process.
  • masterwodmasterwod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to say I really am disliking these boss fights that just spawn adds. Not much to figure out when you know its going to happen. Just frustrating with the ranged adds solo as a TR.
  • lady808lady808 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did this on the third try. I tried the "burn her down before the adds can get me" method. That was a bust for the first two tries. The third try, I took it slow and easy. I tap, tap, tapped until the adds spawned. I dealt with them first while avoiding the boss. Then I went back to tap, tap, tapping until the next batch of spawns popped. It took a few healing pots to stay up and running, but it worked. Oh, just in case you were wondering, I'm running the cat companion. The one that boosts my stats. By the way, this is the usual tactic for most decent dungeon groups I've been with. The boss CAN be painful yes, but the adds are deadly. Avoiding the boss isn't usually too hard. Avoiding the swarms of adds can be. So dealing with the adds is usually a must.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you're going to ride my HAMSTER... At least pull my hair"
    Taking the trash out, one badguy at a time.
    "Satisfaction guaranteed or twice your trash back."
  • pyrielddpyrieldd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just used a knockback and punted her off the island
  • js3bjs3b Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lota potion was used that day... lol
    Founder back a week ago, already pissed by cryptic ''no roll back'' decision

• nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just did this quest. Killed her on first try, came close to dying though. I actually had to kite and pick off different targets rather then just burst her down Like I normally do with everything else.

I used the following.

At-Will
    Sly Flourish (So good for clearing trash when other AoE skills aren't available)
    Duelist Flurry (High Health Shredding Ability, keep 10 stacks up)

Encounters
    Dazing Strike
    Lashing Blade
    Path Of The Blade (Can you say AOE dmg?)

Daily's
    Lurkers Assault
    Blood Bath

Hope this helps you guys out!
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This was easy for my TR. Just like every other boss fight in NW so far.

And I don't even run a Cleric pet (Dire Wolf all the way).

Being a Rogue is all about stealth. Be in stealth as much as absolutely possible. Mobs (including bosses) just stand there and let you stab them to death if you're stealthed. Period.
  • marctraskmarctrask Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »

Yh I had a little trouble the first time with my rogue, think I just underestimated her. But the second time i just potted up, restoration pots help rather a lot.
    I found just saving aoe daily plus abilities for when the adds spawn and just burst them quickly then just auto her is the best way, just so you don't get surrounded because 1 on 1 shes really easy, just have to dodge one skill really which you can just roll away from.

Hope this helps =)
  • kynttilakynttila Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I nuked her down while being stealthed, then ran back and kited / los'd the adds while waiting for stealth meter and took them down one by one afterwards and just repeated it.
  • gruntykillfacegruntykillface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lots of pots and fast running.
  • grokit4chgrokit4ch Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did it easily at lv 43... Use the cleric companion or Phoera, drink potions every time you can and learn to avoid attacks. You also have to kill the big human cutthroat, they are very annoying with their kicks. When adds spawn, focus on killing the archers and let the lycan, they are not a big deal. Unequip all your AOE skills, focus on monoDPS and you are golden : your full defense cleric companion will take most of the attacks.

For your daily equip the Iron whirlwind (can't recall the name).
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    he's pretty easy. I died once to him before noticing I had to pay more attention. I had a tougher time with "blue eye of fire" dude in the chasm, Cuz it took me 3 deaths to actually realize he has mirror images of himself :P

Then again I smoked more herb than someone with chronic glaucoma, so that could be why I was so easily confused.... for solo, I use dazing strike, lashing strike and blitz. passives are whatever I feel like putting in, the AoE daily and the one that gives you stealth. Like someone posted earlier, cloud of steel works pretty good, specially solo.

Keep an eye on your HP, chug pots, use cleric, you should be alright.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I soloed this boss just like all the quest bosses as a TR. It's a fairly easy fight especially if your build is specced for stealth, which prevents enemies from knowing where to attack us, making them sitting ducks just waiting to be killed. So that means, longer stealth = longer life for us rogues. If you have Shadow Strike, this match would be much easier. But you probably don't since I remember this is around level 43 - 45 range, same as my rogue back then. The build I used up when I was at that level is as follows.

The strategy will be to kill the boss as fast as possible, killing off some weak adds when you can, and survive. And I also had my companion unsummoned for this fight, so it won't be provoking area attacks while I'm trying to pull off some stealth hits.

At-Wills:
    - Sly Flourish: Solid hits against adds.
    - Duelist's Fury: Everyone knows how incredible the damage can be when you pull out a complete Fury against a boss. It also has a bleed effect. It will be our main source of damage for this fight.

Encounter
    - Dazing Strike: Solid control skill for us rogues. If adds are all huddled up together, you can hit multiple dazes as well. It sometimes works on the boss as well.
    - Bait and Switch: Our main source of AP regeneration and it creates a sort of tank for us in solo play which allows us to run away from enemies while we wait for our stealth bar to refill. It also refills our stealth bar if we are at stealth. When paired up with Tactics, you'll be able to gain one full AP bar if enough adds attack it. I used up 3 points for this.
    - Deft Strike: I chose Deft Strike over Lashing Blade because of its utility purposes. It can help you escape being ganked too much by targeting one of the furthest adds in the boss room. Then attempt to kite them while waiting for the stealth bar to refill. Dodge helps escape damage a lot which causes our unrefilled stealth bar to deplete.

Class Feature:
    - Tactics: When paired with with our AP feats, you'll be able to pop 1 Lurker's Assault out of every rotation. It's a must have for soloing.
    - Skillful Infiltrator: It adds 3% Deflect and Critical Chance, but what we really want here is the 15% movement speed bonus. It helps a lot when kiting opponents so you don't get hit.

Dailies:
    - Lurker's Assault: At rank 3, it gives us a +60% damage boost and makes our stealth bar replenish at crazy rates for 10 seconds. When used while currently at stealth, that's more than 10 seconds worth of hard hitting Duelist's Fury. You get to shave off tons of the boss's HP with this Daily, and with Bait and Switch + Tactics and AP feats, you'll be able to pull this one off as often as possible.
    - Bloodbath: A life saver at times since you are invulnerable while using this. You can use a potion while the animation is still on.

Important feats to have for this build.
    - Improved Cunning Sneak: 20% increased stealth. More time to not get hit by unaware monsters and bosses. The few seconds you get from this feat can be a lifesaver.
    - Action Advantage: 10% increased AP gain while in combat advantage (something we get from stealth) is crucial for drawn out boss fights like this in solo.
    - Cunning Stalker: 20% more action points while in stealth. Yes please. :)

This build allows you to use stealth for as long as possible and to gain the necessary AP for Lurker's Assault as quickly as you can. Lurker's Assault is a godsend and gives us the ability to kill quest bosses as quickly as possible. People who do not use it will often find themselves overwhelmed by adds in solo. We rogues have really bad AoE's, so it's best to just dispatch the target the way we know best; and that would be to kill things one at a time. But it's always better to just kill the boss as soon as possible so the adds don't get any bigger than they are.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I forget boss names, but I soloed everything except the 5 man instance in that zone, so if he is not in the 5 man, I did it.
    I use a cleric companion.

One boss was really hard, forget which. I think he killed me twice? If it was *that* guy, he is tough.

ATM there are 2 boss fights for the TR, at least as far as I can tell:
    Boss first --- boss is dangerous, so you try to kill it while avoiding the adds (decoy really helps on those adds...)
    Adds first --- boss is big and slow.

For boss first, I hit lurk, stealth, teleport behind and lay into him. If he does an aoe, roll out and throw.
    For adds first, decoy and cull the herd one by one, stealth to run away then pick off one by thrown, casters die first.

Before a boss fight I use all the junk potions I loot, whatever they do, power, crit, defense, etc pots. I also use a rejuv potion if I have one beforehand.

After level 40, just accept that some boss fights may kill you a time or 2 solo.
  • vdagaming91vdagaming91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did all quests solo with TR (Had Cleric companion.)

What I did was when I was about to fight a boss I lured him a good way away from the area he was in and fought him out there.

When the adds spawn they spawn in the boss room and not around you.

Unless you're fighting a boss that summons his own adds, follow the same tactic so you aren't swarmed. instead the only adds you need to take care of are the ones he/she/it spawns.
  • xenogias1xenogias1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One of the few fights I had a much easier time on my GWF than I did on TR.
  • scottlerocscottleroc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've died 20 times already, I've run out of potions - and bosses just get harder with more adds? I just wanted to play through solo
    flop show.

I give up.
  • orgnlsinorgnlsin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    scottleroc wrote: »
    I've died 20 times already, I've run out of potions - and bosses just get harder with more adds? I just wanted to play through solo
    flop show.

I give up.

Just wanted to say that she fell to her death while chasing me. I was running back into the previous room to deal with adds one-on-one. Unintended and cheezy, but this is a cheezy boss. Unfortunately it looks like there's loads more cheese to come.
  • gannotgannot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can kill an infinite number of adds as long as none of them have ranged attacks. Just kite until your stealth refills, pop stealth, hit an add with a flurry and a lashing strike. If the add is still alive, go back to kiting. When ranged adds appear you need to take them out ASAP since they stop your stealth bar from refilling.

Without adds the bosses are generally pretty easy. Avoid the obvious big hits and burn them down.

That's it. No specific powers are needed, though some powers (lashing strike, stalker, etc) are clearly stronger than others.
  • orgnlsinorgnlsin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gannot wrote: »
    You can kill an infinite number of adds as long as none of them have ranged attacks. Just kite until your stealth refills, pop stealth, hit an add with a flurry and a lashing strike. If the add is still alive, go back to kiting. When ranged adds appear you need to take them out ASAP since they stop your stealth bar from refilling.

Without adds the bosses are generally pretty easy. Avoid the obvious big hits and burn them down.

That's it. No specific powers are needed, though some powers (lashing strike, stalker, etc) are clearly stronger than others.

Appreciated advice. Although it doesn't make the boss fights seem any less cheezy.
  • darbisonhighdarbisonhigh Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    scottleroc wrote: »
    flop show.

I give up.

well, seeing as this is a MMO, and has "group" content, did you seriously think you were going to solo "everything?" ahahahaahahaha, thats rich. of course bosses get harder as the game progresses. did you expect them to get easier? again, that is just rich. you should prolly put this game down and try Skyrim or some other rpg meant for solo/offline play. just try not to give up next time.
  • baradur03baradur03 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I tried a good trick... I lure her to the abyss and used Impact shot. Done, she is dead haha. But I didn't get the drops from her =P
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I solo'd it... Throwing daggers are OP. ;)

I had a tank companion, but being common quality (level 15 max) he went down really fast.

Oh geez another wanna be trying to say daggers op... let me guess your third dagger killed him too?