test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Copywrited Quests

siolenassiolenas Member Posts: 30 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Foundry
My question is[. I have bunch of pen and paper modules for Forgotten Realms. Is there any limitations on using these modules or can I use them in the foundry?
Post edited by siolenas on

Comments

• signal09signal09 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I am in no way an expert in the legal matters here.... as long as you aren't charging for money; it maybe alright. However I suggest that you change the story just enough and character names, so that its not out right copying.
    D&D Gamer for over 15 years
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    go for it, whats the worst that could happen?
    <meme removed per the RoC>
  • doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would not use any copy righted material. I am not seeing a FAQ with enough information on this site but on the STO site one can not use copyrighted material in the foundry.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/foundry/foundry-tos
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    They probably wont stop you from using material However, if you do use any copyrighted material, such as Drizzt, for example, you cannot be featured.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • theblueshepherdtheblueshepherd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You're playing a "Dungeon and Dragon" and you're using one of their modules that they gave you permission to use. So from the legal aspect I'm 99% sure theres nothing wrong with using one of their adventures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

___________House Kal'Daka Recruiting______________
    GUILD SITE: http://housekaldaka.enjin.com/
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think it's quite that simple, theblueshepherd, but I also don't think it's a big deal. Bioware didn't mind the hundreds of recreated classic modules for Neverwinter Nights, so I can't imagine that things would be much different today.
  • doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would wait till they publish a more official fact on the issue. You risk having your account band and in a f2p that may not be much of an issue but do you want to throw away the money you've spent on the game.
  • siolenassiolenas Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the advice. Unti I get an official approval from Cryptic, I will create my own story. Once its approved I will bring those campaigns to life.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was kind of wondering about this, myself. I'm glad to see others are also interested in re-creating the classics. Although I don't know how the legal part of this would work, I would hope that the motivation is fostering goodwill among what is clearly fan enthusiasm and not some effort by us to edge in on intellectual property.
  • tshark66tshark66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a 2 foot high stack of old dungeon mags I wouldn't mind bring back to life. I hope we can recreate these.
    League of Monster Slayers - Mindflayer