test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many old school D&D players do we have

Comments

• cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since the first edition and still have the original books!!!!

I still remember the bandit dungeon map as a starter in the DM guide!
  • omnlnkomnlnk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was introduced to D&D in high school and had an interest in it since. ^^ First toon was a cleric. But my favorites were made more recently, a half dragon fighter female and human rogue male.
  • izulieizulie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is an old movie, can't remember the name. One of Tom Hanks first films. Group of friends play a D&D type PnP game but Tom goes crazy and ends up thinking that's the real world, gets put in an asylum. Funny stuff.
    My obvious charms and god-like powers always dazzle the simple, ordinary folk.
  • kreslinkreslin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've played Neverwinter Nights 1 since it was released, over and over and over again. :D Am I an old school D&D player?
  • roadkillaroadkilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started back in the 70's when it all started.
    played some in the 80's and 90's also.
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I beta tested Pong.
  • aryxorthianaryxorthian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Mazes & Monsters was the name of that movie. :)
  • aryxorthianaryxorthian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been playing PnP since '81! Tomb of horrors is still one of my favorite modules!
  • izulieizulie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Mazes & Monsters was the name of that movie. :)

YES! tyvm, Have not seen it in like 10 yrs. Still makes me laugh thinking of it. :D
    My obvious charms and god-like powers always dazzle the simple, ordinary folk.
  • dugansonduganson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited April 2013
    I'ma snuggle in right HERE!

Playin' since '94ish. Buddies at church (Mormon) got me hooked on Dark Sun 2E Advanced. So many awesome late nights, so much passing out getting ready for Sacrament.
  • archwardenarchwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    Almost 20 years now...started on good old Greyhawk defending the Shieldlands!
    Availiable for hire for T1/T2 DD at Mindflayer (european gmts):
    Gaurwulf - GF, hybrid tank/dps, GS 12.5k
  • therealkyrielltherealkyriell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started playing in 1981. Played through 3.5, then the military moved me to the "buckle of the bible belt", Abilene Texas... the groups there are so afraid of persecution that they are insular and unfriendly to newcomers, so my tabletop gaming days came to a screeching halt. Computer-game-wise, I played all the gold box games (preferred the Dragonlance games) including the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL. The newer games I played, favorite being Planescape. Played DDO from beta til about a year after release.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    P&P:
    Started with D&D in 1981: D&D Basics Set
    Revived playing in 1989-1993 with Iron Crow's MERP & Shadow World
    Revived playing Shadow World & GURPS in 2001-2009

PC:
    Amiga DnD Pool of Radiance 1987(?)
    Eye of the Beholder Series 1991
    Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, BG2
    NeverWinter 1,2, Diamond Edition & Infinite Dungeons
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    D&D since the Red Basic Box Set! I am a book hoarder, so I own everything I ever owned since, plus most of my friends' collections when they 'outgrew' the hobby. :D

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
    Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
  • lasciverlasciver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So I'm curious out of you lot, just how many have been long-term DMs? ;)
  • jaraxaljaraxal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My first experience was with Advanced Dungeon & Dragons by Gary Gygax published in 78. I still have the books sitting on my shelf behind me. I've played every edition since and have a currently active 4e weekly campaign.

I started playing in the early 80s.
  • dimeforscaledimeforscale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I tpk'd Gygax.
  • jaraxaljaraxal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's a copy of the PG and DMG taken today:

PG and DMG

2013-04-25%20001%202013-04-25%20001.JPG
  • ravenhawk1ravenhawk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /raises hand 80's here played AD&D all editions along with Basic through to Immortals. Ah good times.
  • valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started in the mid eighties. Played every edition and loved them all. A little worried about next. I think Mearls cant take criticism
  • uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I started playing D&D in 1979. Played pretty solid for the next 10 years, then fell away from it.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Played in the late 70s early 80s, then PC games took over....
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I started with 1.0 edition the DM book with the demon on the cover. :) had the eastern campaign book and all and this was before they put out the table top D&D set with the DM screen.
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

/10char
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • grimok1grimok1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since 3 edition, never moved past 3.5 though, thought 4th edition sucked.
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1982, was 7 years old...

2nd Edition for the next 20 years.
  • freakonature1freakonature1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started playing on my 5th Birthday in 1977 with my Brother. I love D&D, but I have heard bad things about 4th Ed., however I am here to play.
  • phareunphareun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started 16 years ago with AD&D, loved it, loved 3/3.5, not 4th. 4th felt like a MMO on paper, which is why I'm ok with them going with 4th for this game. Loved Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Baldurs Gate (All of them) and many other various not as well done PC/Console D&D games. So freaking excited here for this!
  • moriktraskmoriktrask Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started in 79 and haven't quite yet:)
  • iamviperswhipiamviperswhip Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14
    edited April 2013
    I started playing when the Forgotten Realms was released, but I pretty much went to Pool of Radiance and the computer games as soon as they came out and didn't do that much pen and paper, none of my brother's were as into it as I was.