test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the point of gold?

oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Seems like everything's bought with AD or Zen. Any meaningful gold sinks?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by oreoz2573 on

Comments

• dantosdantos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    Healing potions and injury kits are the gold sinks, I believe.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are also a few mounts to buy with gold. No reason not to collect them all.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    There's also a few companions for gold.
    So:
    basic equipment
    basic companions
    basic mounts
    potions
    injury kits
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Primarily consumables and low end (lower level initial gear, companions, mounts, etc.) Basically all "common" and "uncommon" quality stuff. Rare (blue) and very rare (purple) stuff will be AD mostly (doubtful to be obtainable with gold). Think of gold as the "starter" currency. Like economic training wheels. :)
  • derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's also used for buying certain materials for Professions.
  • vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Crafting and pots, pretty much it in the long run. Didn't do much crafting in the last beta, but I ended it with (no kidding) like 65 gold. I farm a lot :)
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well I'll tell you what, i'll never buy companions unless they go to max level, cuz anything less than that is a waste. I'm guessing those max level guys will be obtained through AD or Zen so no gold there.

Healing potions (at least in the lower levels) dropped like friggin candy for me. Not sure if this changes in the upper levels but assuming it doesn't gold is useless for that as well.

Mounts are one time buys each, and once you max out what you want, crafting will be done as well.

So that just leaves injury kits and (maybe) potions serving as the only constants. I'm assuming the rate of gold acquisition will be much greater than the need to spend it on anything soooo......

I dunno. Seems like a missed opportunity to keep players busy. Even IF it's not important to the game as a whole, it's gonna feel pretty lame to be so "rich" when you're actually not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and remember that Clerics had a nerf by not allowing full self healing because they had 'more gold vs other classes'.
    -.-

oreoz2573 wrote: »
    Well I'll tell you what, i'll never buy companions unless they go to max level, cuz anything less than that is a waste. I'm guessing those max level guys will be obtained through AD or Zen so no gold there.

Healing potions (at least in the lower levels) dropped like friggin candy for me. Not sure if this changes in the upper levels but assuming it doesn't gold is useless for that as well.

Mounts are one time buys each, and once you max out what you want, crafting will be done as well.

by the same logic of not getting companions why buy a Rank 1 Mount? We will be able to upgrade companions just like mounts can be upgraded. We just didnt see a cost or currency for the Tomes.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well in my case i'm a founder so the rank 1 mount is gonna be given to me lol

Even still though i wouldn't buy companions just because i'm confident I can survive on my own without needing to waste valuable in-game resources on an NPC i'm gonna outlevel in a few days of play anyway.

The level split between mounts is much greater so the purchase is justified as you make those assets back (ideally) within that 20 level span.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Also, I thought different kinds of companions were maxed out at a particular level? It was so during Beta 4 anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well in my case i'm a founder so the rank 1 mount is gonna be given to me lol

Even still though i wouldn't buy companions just because i'm confident I can survive on my own without needing to waste valuable in-game resources on an NPC i'm gonna outlevel in a few days of play anyway.

The level split between mounts is much greater so the purchase is justified as you make those assets back (ideally) within that 20 level span.

Founders' get Rank 3 mounts. No need to upgrade them. As for companions, you'll get a free one via a quest. As a Founder you'll get 1 free from there as well. After around Lv30 you'll start taking on many more packs of mobs which makes the companions nice to have.

Also, I thought different kinds of companions were maxed out at a particular level? It was so during Beta 4 anyway.

Yep. but you can still upgrade a White companion to a Purple companion, which will increase the maximum level of the companion.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    Founders' get Rank 3 mounts. No need to upgrade them. As for companions, you'll get a free one via a quest. As a Founder you'll get 1 free from there as well. After around Lv30 you'll start taking on many more packs of mobs which makes the companions nice to have.

Yep. but you can still upgrade a White companion to a Purple companion, which will increase the maximum level of the companion.

Is this done with gold?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    We don't know the cost or currency of the companion upgrades. last beta didnt have either. only the tomes were on the vendor.

edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    We don't know the cost or currency of the companion upgrades. last beta didnt have either. only the tomes were on the vendor.

Then it's possible that this is completely irrelevant and that gold is still useless in the long term. lmao.

thanks for the info though :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know why they don't just make all the cheap gold stuff cost a small amount of AD.
  • azrael4271azrael4271 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The should make a conversion of gold to AD. Like 1 million gold is 100 AD or something of the sort. that way its not useless but it's still not the most beneficial means of purchasing high end stuff.
  • teknykkteknykk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    There are also a few mounts to buy with gold. No reason not to collect them all.

Bag/bank space is a good reason. Any mount you're not using takes up normal bag/bank space (depending on where you store it)...you can only equip one mount to your quick slot bar at any time, which since beta 3 removes it from the bag's space and into the quick slot bar's own "inventory".

Considering that there'll probably other more important things being bagged or banked, I'd say collecting all mounts isn't an option until they add in a list or exclusive inventory space similar to something like what WoW currently has/like the profession assets have. Mounts taking up space is an out-dated hindrance, but sadly unless it'll be changed in Open Beta, it'll likely remain the same as it was in beta 4 and take up space.

That reason alone is enough to say "don't collect them all", at least not yet.