test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF powers question

delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
So I would consider the old level 1-5 powers the bread and butter skills of the class. For GWF, my favorite of which was 'Punishing Charge.' Can any one enlighten us why they took some very key and core powers from the very earliest levels of a character, and push them to the very end? I'm not criticizing (tho I am already finding a class that I was enjoying quite a bit, and felt very natural at playing during BW3, almost unplayable now.... due to battle mobility issues) It would be nice to get insight as to why powers were moved to where they are now. GWF used to have good mobility, but now its a chore. His sprint was good for chasing, and his 'Punishing Charge' was good for getting in or out quickly. His sprint is very unresponsive/unreliable compared to wizard blinks, or rogue tumbles within battle (imo of course) and offers no protection like the GF's shield. Was there some huge balance issue with giving GWF a bit of battle mobility that also hurts enemies, or was it just that the flashier leap attack (that is still underwhelming for mobility) won out? I'm sure it was well thought out, I'm just sad no class feels right anymore for me. On the other hand, at least I don't have 1 encounter slot permanently devoted to a power that does low damage and give me the ability to be in the tick of the battle when I specialize in melee AoE's. Maybe i can use a PBAOE taunt to keep the enemies on top of me so I can do my job as a melee AoE DPS.

P.S. Yes there is some sarcasm here, but I would still appreciate seeing the reasons the powers were moved so far from where you used to get them. Would make dealing with a 5th class that doesn't feel right a bit better, when I was very happy before. I do like customization of powers, but when most other people have single button press GTFO dashes, having one that is click, hold, and pray it kicks in on time, and that your finger doesn't slip while you reposition outside of the strike, and have to use the same button to run down your foes, makes for needing sprint up/ready 100% of the time. I feel that this change very much takes away from the role of the GWF being an initiator, DPSer, and chaser. When the forums said GWF was way off its mark, I don't think taking away utility and mobility was a solution.
When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
Post edited by delgatto42 on

Comments

• mayhemsmmayhemsm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the change to Punishing Charge either, it was one of the key must have encounter skills for me...
  • hakarathakarat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    same here, utterly terrible change that is now making me consider changing my whole class all together.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
  • traroartraroar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I completely agree with this thread
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hakarat wrote: »
    same here, utterly terrible change that is now making me consider changing my whole class all together.
    yeah m2 ,so looks like 50%+ players will be tr :(
  • traroartraroar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Punishing Charge was awesome and I can't get used to playing without it. Unstoppable is pretty cool but it takes time to get there. I just find I can't move around as well.
  • hakarathakarat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?127061-Petition-Please-Revert-Punishing-Charge-Back-To-lvl-1&p=1825321#post1825321

Guys, please sign this Petition I started in the suggestions forum to let the developers know we don't like the change. If enough people state their dislike to the new change, hopefully they can listen if enough of us state our concern.

Thank you.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    I'm trying to give the (lack of) Punishing Charge a chance. I really am. But it's no working out. Sprinting just doesn't cut it for trying to move rapidly into a combat or trying to evade splats. Punishing Charge allows GWF to get out of spats, do damage and reposition and they aren't blocked by the NPCS like you can be with Sprint.
  • inullableinullable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    I'm trying to give the (lack of) Punishing Charge a chance. I really am. But it's no working out. Sprinting just doesn't cut it for trying to move rapidly into a combat or trying to evade splats. Punishing Charge allows GWF to get out of spats, do damage and reposition and they aren't blocked by the NPCS like you can be with Sprint.

THIS!...Oh yes....THIS!
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What if i tell you that i didnt use Punishing Charge in BWE3?? I go with "not so fast", "daring shout" and "restoring strike" most of the time. Sprint is OK for dodge the biggest hits (you have enough time to react, i swear you), just need to pay attention, use shift instead of double-tap helps too, and the "little" ones dont hurt as much as need to dodge it...

I think that what we have here is some sort of "League of Legends Lock Camera Syndrome": There you start playing by default with the camera locked in you champion, and i know some people that get used to it (because they dont know you can unlock it, or do not care about it) and they become unable to play properly with the unlocked camera, even when its better having it free for obvious reasons (its a MOBA with isometric view, if anyone didnt know it), its just impossible for them. And excuse me if im wrong, but i think is the same here, you all get used to dodge with "Punishing Charge", and now that is taken to lvl45, you feel that cant play the class because you are too aclimated.
    edited April 2013
    What if i tell you that i didnt use Punishing Charge in BWE3?? I go with "not so fast", "daring shout" and "restoring strike" most of the time. Sprint is OK for dodge the biggest hits (you have enough time to react, i swear you), just need to pay attention, use shift instead of double-tap helps too, and the "little" ones dont hurt as much as need to dodge it...

I think that what we have here is some sort of "League of Legends Lock Camera Syndrome": There you start playing by default with the camera locked in you champion, and i know some people that get used to it (because they dont know you can unlock it, or do not care about it) and they become unable to play properly with the unlocked camera, even when its better having it free for obvious reasons (its a MOBA with isometric view, if anyone didnt know it), its just impossible for them. And excuse me if im wrong, but i think is the same here, you all get used to dodge with "Punishing Charge", and now that is taken to lvl45, you feel that cant play the class because you are too aclimated.

Mkay, so lemme break it down for you.

Not having Punishing Charge at lvl 1 is a lot more important than you think.

As far as other classes are concerned, let's just take a look.

TR - At decently low levels they have the ability to get their roll skill to regen quite nicely with synergies from stealth and other traits, and beginning at lvl 10, they have stealth which greatly helps them move around the battle field.

GF - Being a tank, they don't really have to move around and avoid damage too much, their main job is to stick to something and tank it. With their block being one of the best defensive moves in-game.

Cleric / CW - Being range they have the advantage of being able to stand anywhere on the battlefield and if they get into melee trouble, they have dodge and teleport, CW being able to also teleport 3 times to evade even.

When it comes to GWF, their sprint is just not enough, especially when they are running around all over the place trying to melee everything. Sprint alone cannot handle everything on the battlefield, dodging AOE attacks, chasing down enemies, ect. If you just chase a mob that's chasing the healer without using sprint, you'll never be able to catch up to it.

Having Punishing Charge was like having that extra little something we needed to get around effectively. Without it, we are stuck just chasing everything down and like I said, Sprint is not enough. Having to play that kind of style just kills the flavor of the class until the majority of leveling till 45. That's just way to long to wait and it makes the class seem dull and boring.

Oh and they nerfed the damage of Not So Fast by AT LEAST 25%-40%, if you were to use it just for the slow, it would practically be useless. I have been basically resorted to using mainly single DPS encounters because the AOE ones have been nerfed so bad. I ran Lair of the Mad Dragon Dungeon (btw those mobs HP are tuned WAAAY too high) and went with Roar, Restoring Strike, and Flourish. It was so much different than what I used to enjoy about GWF, sure I did absolutely fine without it, but if I wanted to single target DPS with a tiny bit of AOE on the side, I would've rolled TR and gone with 1-2 AOE powers like my GWF... No, I rolled GWF to do some good AOE damage and be able to move around effectively. Not sprint and chase stuff around all over the place like it is now.

Not having Punishing Charge till lvl 45 completely changes the entire leveling experience. At least let us decide to use or not use it, don't make us wait till lvl 45 and decide for us... I know plenty of scenarios where it's not necessary and I could take other encounters over it, but let me make that choice. Don't lock it out till lvl 45 at least make it around lvl 30 minimum.

Let me ask you this, if they just give it to you at lvl 45, why not earlier? Why make us wait so long if we enjoy the skill so much? Why take the fun away and make things incredibly boring? If we want to use it earlier, let us decide, don't make us wait till we've leveled the majority of our characters before we get to have it, like I said, it makes the entire experience up till that point utterly boring and unenjoyable.

If I want to use it while leveling, let me, I'll switch to AOE tanking abilities when I want to run a dungeon, but for PvP, if I want to use Punishing Charge, let me be able to have the skill... Just having sprint won't cut it for me, i'm sorry. And like I said, I can get along fine without it, it's just not what I signed up for.
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just say that you get used to it, and so you feel like its needed 100% to play. Im not telling you not to use it, im telling you that now you can learn to play the class without it, and when you get it, you can chose to use it or not without the feeling of needing it.

Perhaps lvl45 is too much, but i can see it at 20 or 30 just fine.
  • delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You can learn you play a rogue without using stealth. Does that mean you should have to? You can play a CW without CC's, should you have to. Melee strikers are all about mobility. Losing mobility a primary source of mobility and a bit of damage on GWF till level 45 is much the same as a rogue losing stealth till 45. The class is playable, but feels underwhelming and lame.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I'm reconsidering playing GWF after this beta weekend. I was really excited to play this class, but this beta weekend I haven't really enjoyed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF