test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New PC Advice

deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
Hey guys Im thinking of getting a new PC for gaming as my lousy laptop cant run a whole lot of new games. Im wanting some advice.

Im sort on cash but may be making a few hundred in a few weeks.(I dont have a job but occasionally I get small jobs or someone needing my game console repair services.)

So I need something relatively cheap with probably a 1TB HDD, 8GB ram, I5 or equivilant, at least 1Gb of ram on the graphics card, and Windows 7 or 8

I was thinking one of these 2(maybe something better depending on how much I get)

Id make my own but Im not sure where to get good parts at a good price.

Any recommendations please tell me. I really do need to get something better than my Laptop though.
I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by deathssickle on

Comments

• finalwinterfinalwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Both are nice and very affordable =]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Both are good systems for the price. My 2cents: For that price range look for a good prebuilt like the ones you mentioned. As for BYO, don't even bother for that price range. You can get more system for your money going prebuilt. Higher-end systems you can save building it yourself, but at that range buying the OS alone makes it not feasible.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yah I thought these were ok midranged systems, and if I wanted to upgrade later I could. (either buy a new motherboard to get better stuff, or just build one later on)

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You want to be careful with prebuillt pc you often can not upgrade them easily, they often do not tell you what parts they used etc. Sure they are slightly cheaper but then it usually because the parts are cheap.

newegg.com often has some nice deals if you want to build your own. I mean they don't seem to give you any accurate info other than it an amd 4100 cpu, what the PSU as the quality on this can vary wildly, what kind of ram is it etc etc

Personally I am not a fan of the 4100 cpu
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    You want to be careful with prebuillt pc you often can not upgrade them easily, they often do not tell you what parts they used etc. Sure they are slightly cheaper but then it usually because the parts are cheap.

newegg.com often has some nice deals if you want to build your own.

this, i was going to recommend the same site and the same advice; i've never liked pre built towers for the exact same reasons stated above, a common practice for sites like that is to build the tower using a really dated motherboard meaning everything they put into it will most likely be dated as well, leaving you with a bad comp either way. if you're willing to spend some cash on a new machine but are worried about the final cost, my advice to you would be to save up a little more and buy a decent mobo, a good video card (amd is cheaper than nvdia), and a good cpu (again amd is cheaper than intel). no need to break the bank either, newegg usually has decent video card/cpu or cpu/motherboard combos for sale so look for those when shopping.

if you're worried about not being tech savy enough to put it all together don't be affraid, you can either look for how-to guides on youtube and teach yourself or go to your local computer hardware store, they'll build it for you provided you pay them haha. i should know, it was my part-time job when i was younger.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
    edited April 2013
    I think Im going to get number 2 and add a wireless card to it. I only need to run midrange graphics right now. Any day know Ill have the money I need I believe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    number 2 looks like better option,btw if u plaing to have more cash soon then wait and then make ,since
    if u waste 500$ now insted 600-700 in few weeks u will be sorry .since yes u can upgrade it but u would still lose ,as for parts goes i recomend u i3 ,hd7700 or even hd7850,some mother board,2x4gb ram modules which can be random brand,some good 400w psu and cheap pc case and windows 7,
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Also, if your broke and you pay for windows your kinda silly.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
    edited April 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »

yeah if u dont pay for windows u can make nice 500$ pc
    edited April 2013
    Yah, broke is kinda what I currently am. Id like windows just because Iprefer using it. Really I cant afford much as Im currently without a job, but Id been saving for a year or two and Id like to get a pc that plays Neverwinter better than my laptop that uses integrated graphics.Later on Imay add a better graphics card and power supply, possibly upgrade to16 gb of ram, but I dont think Id need more than that for a few years. I just need a ok pc to last me untilIget a job and can afford a beast of a pc

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I was suggesting you don't pay for windows, not you don't use it. ;-)
    edited April 2013
    And now Ambi has convinced me to build my own. I actually can make one cheaper surprisingly. Only about $496, after I use all my rebates and stuff though Itll only be $415(before tax) so I guess Im gonna build one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    And now Ambi has convinced me to build my own. I actually can make one cheaper surprisingly. Only about $496, after I use all my rebates and stuff though Itll only be $415(before tax) so I guess Im gonna build one.

got to hear :) building pc is better and it is not something hard ,and yeah 500$ pc can be nice if u build it yourself
  • linthar777linthar777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »

Yeah, and with a gigabyte motherboard am3+ with the sweet FX8350 CPU and 8 giga of corsair vengance, you are on a way cheaper and better spot. Switch out the cheap RAM with dominator later some time.

Just so you know, I got GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 and can say that it only takes 1 RAM in each DIM if the FSB is more than 1600mhz. 2x 4 GB works fine at 1866 mhz. (Even at 2000mhz, but get good RAM if you gonna overclock from 1866mhz, because I got 4 GB atm lol)

Cheap!!
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Great!

Mind linking what you plan on buying?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited May 2013
    no man I dont man but some of the parts went up a little.

processor

Motherboard

Graphics Card

PSU

RAM(they may be out of it at the price I got it at but here is a different brand RAM you can get)

HDD

DvD Drive

Case

Wireless Net Card(I added this myself for convenience)

I found a copy of Windows 7 I have that Im gonna use so it saved me $95

Also I put it all on wish.com so I get about $53 back

Anyways Ambi help me find the parts I needed, but if yall want to make a similar build go ahead and use the links and do so.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sinntzusinntzu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah if u dont pay for windows u can make nice 500$ pc

I see where you're coming from, but suggesting someone find a cracked version of Windows to use doing anything that involves an active internet connection is simply dangerous. Trust me, it's much safer and less stressful if you just suck it up and pay for a genuine Windows serial. That goes for anti-virus software as well. Just buy it and be done with it.

Why you should buy authentic Windows

This is coming from someone who builds his own computers, as well. I've learned the hard way to not trust pirated operating systems. A hacked version of Windows can damage your brand new hardware rather quickly, depending on the severity. An installation of Windows that isn't activated won't receive updates past a certain point including important security patches, which obviously makes your system vulnerable.

However, if you have a friend that owns Windows, it's worth asking to use his license key if you're concerned about saving money. Product keys can be activated a certain amount of times across multiple computers. You can also find system builder versions of Windows on Newegg.com.

Good luck with the build mang!
    Shed by the winged beast of the night,
    A scaly frost-encrusted thorn,
    All who feel its wintry light
    Shiver in pain at the frozen dawn.
  • psych0dadpsych0dad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hm ... dunno !
    edited May 2013
    sinntzu wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, but suggesting someone find a cracked version of Windows to use doing anything that involves an active internet connection is simply dangerous. Trust me, it's much safer and less stressful if you just suck it up and pay for a genuine Windows serial. That goes for anti-virus software as well. Just buy it and be done with it.

Why you should buy authentic Windows

This is coming from someone who builds his own computers, as well. I've learned the hard way to not trust pirated operating systems. A hacked version of Windows can damage your brand new hardware rather quickly, depending on the severity. An installation of Windows that isn't activated won't receive updates past a certain point including important security patches, which obviously makes your system vulnerable.

However, if you have a friend that owns Windows, it's worth asking to use his license key if you're concerned about saving money. Product keys can be activated a certain amount of times across multiple computers. You can also find system builder versions of Windows on Newegg.com.

Good luck with the build mang!

I disagree with nearly everything you said. Even if you have an authentic version of windows, turn the automatic updates off. Why on gods green earth would you purposefully let a company install unknown updates on your computer? Do you really think them being Microsoft or having billions of dollars somehow makes them worthy of blind trust or more honest than some random no name company? For the antivirus thing, comodo works great and is free. You want your computer reasonably secure? Install a firewall, block unknown connections, use a basic user account, and install your OS on a different hard drive than your profile settings and applications.
    edited May 2013
    yah, what Im probably going to do is use a product key from my brothers PC, as his PC Bluescreens on startup.(I told him to use an antivirus but he didnt listen, and he doesnt have the drivers for his PC so If I were to wipe his HDD hed be without drivers)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Also I just noticed this guys,2x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance for $60

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sinntzusinntzu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why on gods green earth

lol
    Why on gods green earth would you purposefully let a company install unknown updates on your computer?

Because I paid them to maintain their software. They're not exactly unknown updates when I know where they're coming from, and what they do. Windows automatic update (which you should turn off, and manually check for updates) is not going to **** with your computer.
    Do you really think them being Microsoft or having billions of dollars somehow makes them worthy of blind trust or more honest than some random no name company?

Not sure how trust came into this, but, what no name company are you talking about? Don't want to run Windows? Buy a Macintosh! Forever attempting to play video games. Or figure out how to use Linux OS builds, that are (somewhat) regularly updated. Again, good luck playing video games.
    For the antivirus thing, comodo works great and is free. You want your computer reasonably secure? Install a firewall, block unknown connections, use a basic user account, and install your OS on a different hard drive than your profile settings and applications.

Agreed! :)

There are lots of free anti-virus solutions that will work but you get what you pay for in the long run. I personally have been using free anti-viruses for so long without any problems though so, fingers crossed on impending super infections.
    yah, what Im probably going to do is use a product key from my brothers PC, as his PC Bluescreens on startup.(I told him to use an antivirus but he didnt listen, and he doesnt have the drivers for his PC so If I were to wipe his HDD hed be without drivers)

If the computer is blue screening it's probably a hardware issue. Most commonly the RAM. How far into start up does it get? Can you access your BIOS at all? Could also be your motherboard.

Couldn't hurt to try replacing the hard drive at that point, if it's not your RAM. Hard drive = cheaper than whole computer, and can solve more problems than you'd think.

Also, don't worry about drivers as long as you have the ability to install windows and access the internet you'll be able to download and install drivers from your PC manufacturer's website (or the websites of the part manufacturers).
    Shed by the winged beast of the night,
    A scaly frost-encrusted thorn,
    All who feel its wintry light
    Shiver in pain at the frozen dawn.
    edited May 2013
    yah like i said my brothers PC, it bluescreens right after login. Im guessing its a virus since it runs fine in safemode

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drakin8564drakin8564 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If a computer is bluescreening write down what the blue screen says. Do a google search and it should point you to the exact problem. Ive had things as stupid as plugging a usb wifi adapter into a computer make one bluescreen right as windows loaded due to a bad driver. Chances are if it is bluescreening on startup you have one of 3 things wrong: master boot record error, missing system files, or something is not seated properly and causing the system to shut down from improper cooling. Reseat ram and and all data cables then stick the system disk in it and tell it to repair, no need to wipe it. If that doesnt work and you didnt upgrade any drivers then yea you have hardware issues but at least you know for certain thats what it is before you go tearin in to it. Either way the blue screen should still tell you what it is.

Anywho, as stated newegg is excellent. Ive used them for over 10 years no issues at all. And build your own. If nothing else its a good experience and much cheaper if you dont go crazy. And also cheaper in the long run because if you pay attention you can make a custom system very expandable. Even on a budget put a good motherboard that will handle an 8 core, much more ram than you need right now and sli/crossfire with a psu that can handle it when the time comes. Then next time you run into a problem spend a few dollars buying a new processor instead of a whole system, or whatever it is thats the issue.

And just to throw it out there, both ATI and nvidia make good cards and AMD and intel make good chips but when it comes to bang for your buck gaming ATI and AMD are the way to go IMO.

And as for the legitimate windows thing... You can get updates with cracked windows. Newer cracks are better than that and just take out all traces of Windows WAT so it doesnt know its not genuine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingbullgodkingbullgod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 254 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Can't see them?
    JOIN OUR TEAMSPEAK -> [URL="ts3server://ts.dr-clan.net"]CLICK HERE[/URL]
    Te644VF.png
  • paolohpaoloh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Probably some driver issue or some update went wrong.
    Try to run the system recovery and select a day before the fault.

BTW even if you dont have the drivers you can download them from the support page.
  • drakin8564drakin8564 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Windows 7 is actually pretty good at automatically recognizing parts and installing drivers. The may not be the best/newest drivers but hey will get the job done until you can find better ones if it comes to wiping the system
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Plan A in using a old key on my new PC did not work, so Im moving on and downloading windows 8

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plan A in using a old key on my new PC did not work, so Im moving on and downloading windows 8

For gaming, I recommend Windows 7 over 8. Windows 8 is pretty and all, but the traditional start menu was replaced with Metro, which is really geared more toward tablets... which basically forces all these widgets/gadgets on you, which eat up system resources.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums