test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character Wipes

thrudderthrudder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Did i read this right? NO character wipes after April 25th so that means next beta weekend characters get wiped, but the open beta charters will be saved for the when game goes live??? anyone confirm this??
Post edited by thrudder on

Comments

• llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Official Announcement confirmed this. You should try reading it.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yup, this way the Foundry packs get a real "head start" and also any final changes to the build before open-beta can be done knowing all characters are wiped and reset for the open beta launch.

This is smart deployment by Cryptic, well done!
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is a normal Perfect World Ent release type. I've stated it many times too.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Correct - there will be a wipe before headstart/OBT, but not after! :)
    thrudder wrote: »
    Did i read this right? NO character wipes after April 25th so that means next beta weekend characters get wiped, but the open beta charters will be saved for the when game goes live??? anyone confirm this??
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sominator wrote: »

Thanks!!! I spent diamonds I want them back for live !! I was worried.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sominator wrote: »

I believe I speak for strong, proud warriors everywhere when I say "YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I see no point in allowing people to keep their current characters with the speed you can level up in this game, it is a little bit of a joke really.

So Founding members get bored quicker and jump ship to the next best slice of bread earlier, I see no benefits here to the overall community.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    I see no point in allowing people to keep their current characters with the speed you can level up in this game, it is a little bit of a joke really.

So Founding members get bored quicker and jump ship to the next best slice of bread earlier, I see no benefits here to the overall community.

As stated, they cannot keep current characters. Current characters and any made in BW4 will be wiped prior to Headstart. Headstart/Open Beta Characters are not planned to be wiped.
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    As stated, they cannot keep current characters. Current characters and any made in BW4 will be wiped prior to Headstart. Headstart/Open Beta Characters are not planned to be wiped.

So the head start feature for customers who pre-purchased the game, is just another false advertising ploy (once again) when head start is actually open beta, so forgive me if I am missing something here, but they may as well remove the head start feature and just advertise, anyone who starts a character during Open Beta gets to keep thier toons.
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So the head start feature for customers who pre-purchased the game, is just another false advertising ploy (once again) when head start is actually open beta, so forgive me if I am missing something here, but they may as well remove the head start feature and just advertise, anyone who starts a character during Open Beta gets to keep thier toons.

Not really no, as those who have early access start playing up to five days earlier without a wipe to be concerned with. Whatever they want to call this, open beta, soft launch whatever, you play earlier than the general masses.
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

False advertising? Hardly. Maybe you should try reading before writing... OBT starts on the 30th. Headstarts begin either 5 days or 3 days before that.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
    edited April 2013
    antovaras wrote: »
    False advertising? Hardly. Maybe you should try reading before writing... OBT starts on the 30th. Headstarts begin either 5 days or 3 days before that.

So Open Beta will be the official release of the game where people can come and play for free, make a character and if they decide to play they get to keep thier character.

Hmmm, where have I seen this before.......sigh.../facepalm.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    So Open Beta will be the official release of the game where people can come and play for free, make a character and if they decide to play they get to keep thier character.

...In nearly every f2p game! Most of them have a soft launch dubbed 'open beta'. In fact some have never ended their open beta. This is common among f2p titles mate.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I see it as . . . soft launch . . .and I see it as . . . we get what we pay for. I get 5 days head start . . . and I recognize that . . . and I THANK the developers for that.

Does it take less than 5 days to reach max level? Yes. Will i get bored easy? Nah. That's why there's more characters and more things to do and why Cryptic always adds to their games. STO is an example. Just when things are settling and quiet . . . new season. Now we have Romulans coming about. And both of these are releasing around the same time of year. Perfect! Now I can bounce between: My Sweetie (always put her first, should she read this), College, Work, Vocational Training, Flight Lessons, NW, STO. Between the two games and an actually active life, a lot of us will not be bored or "jumping ship" any time soon.
  • vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zebular wrote: »

I'm very glad I want my zen back...hahahaha !
  • silver44swordsilver44sword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Bummer I was soo hoping I could jump back into my BW3 characters instead of recreating them and performing all the lower level adventures again.

"IDK why it is necessary for the dev's to wipe our characters, I guess they might be adding some features to the pre-existing classes or races or feel they were dropping to many thumper-dumpers?"
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Trollolo? BW4 is a closed beta. There will be a character wipe after that weekend. The LAST Character wipe. THEN, on the 25th HotN early access starts. The game will be exclusive to them for 2 days, then the Guardians get in and all HotN and Guardian folks get another 3 days exclusively. THEN the game opens for OB or "soft launch" if you prefer that terminology. What in the nine hells is wrong with that?
    Bummer I was soo hoping I could jump back into my BW3 characters instead of recreating them and performing all the lower level adventures again.

"IDK why it is necessary for the dev's to wipe our characters, I guess they might be adding some features to the pre-existing classes or races or feel they were dropping to many thumper-dumpers?"

You CAN if you get into BW4. You can play the same character you had from BW2 and BW3 in BW4. AFTER BW4 there will be a character wipe.
    edited April 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    What in the nine hells is wrong with that?

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?117991-Open-beta-or-Production-release-Whats-the-difference

Some of the people in this thread get it.
  • nikkitawittanikkitawitta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait, so if I start playing now. My toon will still be wiped? Only the ones created by April 25 are safe? I've played in CBT and OBT of some games and my toons were never wiped. But all's cool then, I have time to learn about this game. o.O Hope this is a helpful community. XD
  • davewestdavewest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You still get a headstart why are you crying... it also means we should get our special race first I believe.
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

No, Open Beta is when Open Beta starts... not sure why this is so confusing for you. Official Launch of the game will be when the Devs decide to launch it.
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
    edited April 2013
    Wait, so if I start playing now. My toon will still be wiped? Only the ones created by April 25 are safe? I've played in CBT and OBT of some games and my toons were never wiped. But all's cool then, I have time to learn about this game. o.O Hope this is a helpful community. XD

Once you get past the usual game-whiners, yes there is a VERY helpful community here. Count me as one of them. If you see me in game, never be afraid to send a message as I am always willing to answer questions if I know the answer, and if I do not know the answer I usually help people find that answer on the site, forums, etc.

antovaras wrote: »
    No, Open Beta is when Open Beta starts... not sure why this is so confusing for you. Official Launch of the game will be when the Devs decide to launch it.

It's confusing to him because it requres an education to see the completely obvious, apparently.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    Some people don't seem to understand that Open Beta exists because some things need a really large playerbase to test effectively, like Guild functionality, 20v20 pvp maps, class balance feedback, constructing end-game content that appeals to a wide variety of players, server stability, test the waters for desire for minigames and optionals like player housing, auto-grouping functionality under load, loot drops, skill and crafting feedback... just to name a few things. Hence open beta.

The easiest way to lure players into a large-scale testing phase is to promise them their rewards won't be erased. Hence no wipe, even when so much is subject to change.