test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recommend an MMO to play...

blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
edited April 2013 in Off Topic
Hello Fellow Neverwintians!

Whilst we are all waiting for the game to be released, we should throw out some suggestions in regards to other MMO's to play in the meantime.

I was playing STO up until a few days ago. The grindfest is annoying me, so i'm taking a break from it in the short term.

So, i'm looking for recommendations for any other game I can play.... Fantasy or SciFi preferably, but will look at anything really.
Post edited by blowchunks on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You should have received a bunch of codes for free stuff in other PWE games. Perhaps now is a good time to at least see what they are and have to offer? Just a suggestion.

By the way, STO is nowhere near the grindfest CO is. Don't touch that one with a ten-foot pole. really.
  • blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited March 2013
    By the way, STO is nowhere near the grindfest CO is. Don't touch that one with a ten-foot pole. really.

Have no intention of playing CO.. played it, didn't like it.
    As for the other PWE titles, seen them, tried a few, hate them.....
  • llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just started playing Reckoning again. I forgot how intense th storyline was. Gameplay is very close to D&D, and the story and world were created by none other than R.A.Salvatore. Will keep my brain occupied while waiting for updates.

Sadly, it is single player, not MMO, but at least it has a beginining, middle, and end, so when Neverwinter starts I won't be trying to continue it on.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited March 2013
    Hmm..just had a look....interesting.
    Must do some more research..
  • veltor1234veltor1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    mmo games not sure...single player games... dragons dogma, dragonage 1 and 2(combat in dragonage 2 is fairly similar to neverwinter), mass effect trilogy, neverwinter nights, all the balder gate series.... any of these should hold your attention till neverwinter releases.
  • number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Reckoning as in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? That's not an MMO you know. It was originally going to be MMORPG, Reckoning was their precursor to fund the project, which failed because. Well actually I'm not sure why Reckoning failed, it's a pretty good game.

Right now I'm not really playing anything other than Hawken (giant robot FPS). FireFall is pretty good, but it's very much in beta and doesn't have a lot of content. Vindictus is cool but it's a dungeon brawler (though in my opinion it's the BEST dungeon brawler). Wizardry Online can be fun, so long as you can find someone to play it with (preferably a teams worth of someones). All the other games I can name right now are pretty old.

Though, from what I've heard, it's possible to play Phantasy Star Online II. You'll just need to find English guides to help you.
    veltor1234 wrote: »
    mmo games not sure...single player games... dragons dogma, dragonage 1 and 2(combat in dragonage 2 is fairly similar to neverwinter), mass effect trilogy, neverwinter nights, all the balder gate series.... any of these should hold your attention till neverwinter releases.
    I recommend avoiding Dragon Age II. It has a habit of pissing people off. Especially if you look to closely to the story (especially the later half) and the repetitive dungeons (as in they keep using the exact same dungeons over and over and over again).
  • longxiaohlongxiaoh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dragon Age 1 or Mass Effect 3 (single player)
    (i found no mmo game as good as DDO or Neverwinter, due to how much team play matters; so i either wait for a new session of Neverwinter, or i play single, much better than any online game wich feels as playing with "bots")

(I guess i just love the "save the whole world from something than can destroy it" storyline)
  • darkgeardesignsdarkgeardesigns Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    Three games come to mind.

Tera Online= Amazing combat. And hopefully Neverwinter will be out before you realize thats all the game ever will have to offer. It also uses the same targeting system so you wont feel like a fish out of water when launch comes.

LoL = I know I know. Its not an mmo but its still a very good and polished game

Traditional DnD = This is my personal recommendation. Get a few books *cough* google it. If you can find a good DM you can have a great time without a single electronic device. AND learn alot more about the game in the process. I tend to prefer dnd 3.5e over 4e just due to the fact you have ALOT more freedom of choice (everything in 4e seems to be combat related . Most of the fun of dnd comes out of combat if you have a good DM)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Path of Exile is a great free to play game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Traditional DnD = This is my personal recommendation. Get a few books *cough* google it. If you can find a good DM you can have a great time without a single electronic device. AND learn alot more about the game in the process. I tend to prefer dnd 3.5e over 4e just due to the fact you have ALOT more freedom of choice (everything in 4e seems to be combat related . Most of the fun of dnd comes out of combat if you have a good DM)
    Do not pirate games! Especially role playing games, they have it bad enough. If you want something you can play for free I recommend going to WotC's website and snagging the D&D Next playtest. You can also get the D6 PDFs for free off Drive Thru RPG.

Also, I recommend Pahtfinder if you're going to play D&D (and willing to buy the books). They add and fix a lot of the issues with 3.5 and it's fondly referred to as 3.75.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As darkgeardesigns notes, TERA has many similarities in its combat style to Neverwinter. Or I suppose since TERA was out first, I should say that Neverwinter feels a lot like TERA in terms of its combat. Very active. And the game (like Neverwinter) is totally free. There are severe restrictions, of course, but for a time-killer those should not really hit you hard.
  • darkgeardesignsdarkgeardesigns Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    my *Cough* was in reference to no one really sales the manuals in shops anymore. IF your going to find them your going to need amazon or google for a buyer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • semkansemkan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My advice will be either Guild Wars (not Guild Wars 2) or Age of Conan.

I played both of them quite some time and had real fun with them. AOC had a really cool RP community in Aquilonia server and I had so many cool memories there. Even though Aquilonia doesn't exist anymore, the game is f2p and you could at least give a try.

Guild Wars is the best MMORPG i played so far. I spend 2-3 years only playing competitive GvG. The combat mechanics is so polished and strategic but it was really hard to learn. You just have to buy the game itself to play unlimited, just like GW2. I wish i could get back to those days when GW2 wasn't released. GW2 is just a big dissapointment for me now.

Anyways, you could try both of these games and i bet you would have quite some fun with them even now :).

Cheers!
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do not pirate games! Especially role playing games, they have it bad enough. If you want something you can play for free I recommend going to WotC's website and snagging the D&D Next playtest. You can also get the D6 PDFs for free off Drive Thru RPG.

Also, I recommend Pahtfinder if you're going to play D&D (and willing to buy the books). They add and fix a lot of the issues with 3.5 and it's fondly referred to as 3.75.

While I enjoy the games, the companies that run them are extremely greedy and just as bad as the IRAA or MPAA. TCGs are legalized gambling for minors and make WOTC plenty of money. They don't need 37 different D&D manuals to make a profit.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I started to play Tera today (since it is Free to Play) and I am really enjoying myself.
    I am trying it out because the combat/targeting is somewhat similar to Neverwinter.
    I am glad I am trying it out, I never realized how much I used the strafe keys "Q" and "E" when using "W,A,S,D" for movement. LOL

I am still trying to attack the quest-givers (by right-clicking) instead of using "F" to interact. It's a learning experience. hehe
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • almightenalmighten Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be honest CO is my favorite MMO to date (I'm a lifetime member). I'm not certain I want to try playing never winter because it is a PWE owned game & their not taking care of "business" in CO. Tons of bugs have been unfixed for more than a year & we've been promised so many things that PWE hasn't come thru with; I'm not certain that becoming a founder is in my entertainment's future because I C how PWE doesn't take care of it's players in the true spirit of providing quality entertainment for us while maintaining "reasonable" demands for money gain. I totally understand they need to be profitable, but in CO providing for us the players has become secondary. Why should I believe this wouldn't be done if I became a founder. I absolutely insist on getting my money's worth. Until recently I spent upwards of $50 a month on buying zen on a semi-regular basis & I feel like PWE has made me out to be a fool to spend money on keys for lock boxes that provide very little chance of getting my money's worth. If they make playing CO worth spending money on again, then I would pay to play never winter as my turn to game" when I'm wanting to playing something other than CO. Be warned everyone if they will not do right by CO players; what makes you think they'll play fair with Never winter players??? I still love CO, PWE, but I'm not feeling encourage to spend more money on another of your games. 8((
  • iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I tried out a few of the other PWE games because of the free codes, and was a bit disappointed. Forsaken World was incredibly confusing and hard to follow as I got up in the 40 range and looked like a big ole daily grind which was a turn off. Some of the other options had graphics too dated that I could not really get into them like Battle of the Immortals. I was thinking of trying CO or STO but did not really feel I could get into the genre.

Then I found RaiderZ. My Fiance and I have been playing it for about a week and a half as we wait for Neverwinter release and I am very impressed. It is incredibly fun to play and I love the action style combat they have in the game. The cleric plays a lot like the Neverwinter cleric with it being a offensive dps/healer and is a blast. It took us about 2 weeks of casual (very casual for us) play to reach level 35 and they just raised the level cap to 40. I have nothing but positive things to say about the game. I felt no reason to spend money to play or any advantage to do so. It was a fantastic casual game to tide us over til release.

Other than that we have played The Secret World which is enjoyable for the first playthrough of the story line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • philbe63philbe63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay, it's not an MMO but if you haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet I would definitely put it on my to-do list. It's got a hefty price tag but for once I feel like the game was worth it.

On the MMO front I've done a bunch of them of late to fill the void between betas and nothing appeals to me as much as Neverwinter does. Though if you haven't given it a shot I did enjoy SWTOR for a good solid year. There are eight completely different class storylines to play through so it will keep you busy between Beta 4 and the Open Beta
  • libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been playing SWTOR and CO recently, but the urge for a proper fantasy has been awakened by NW, so I am playing some EQ2 for the next few weeks until the OB starts.
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I been playing Defiance.

I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe in a month or two. Servers are complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> atm. Going down every hour on the hour for 20+ minutes at a time. It's pretty bad. Haven't seen a launch this bad since SWG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I been playing Defiance.

I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe in a month or two. Servers are complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> atm. Going down every hour on the hour for 20+ minutes at a time. It's pretty bad. Haven't seen a launch this bad since SWG.

Yep, I played in the beta and while I want to play Defiance, what with the NW OB/launch and the STWOR expac I decided to let Defiance ripen a bit on the vine before I played it. I think I will buy it this summer, they should have a lot of the technical details worked out by then.
  • cynicalazamacynicalazama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited April 2013
    There are a few decent MMOs about - I am personally playing Secret World at the moment which if you arent familiar, has reticule combat as an option too if you prefer. The questing is by far the most superior i have ever seen (purely opinion) aswell as the cut scenes and story - now its B2P, you cant lose really.

Rift is fairly dcent too and even though its one of the few remaining sub based games, its free to level 20.

Tera i dont mind but i get fed up with its looks and imo grindy quests but its ok every now and again. I am currently playing a couple of off-line games such as Tomb raider and the witcher series (again as they are awesome).
    Edit to add; Defiance is well worth a look as mentioned. After being involved in the Alpha though, im gonna wait for a little while.
  • philbe63philbe63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I tried Defiance and I like the combat in Firefall much better. For 20 bucks you can get into Firefall with the lowest end of the 'founder' packs. It was a lot of fun and seems less 'clunky' than Defiance
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Member Posts: 226 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    For an MMO I'd recommend Champions Online as this would get people used to planning in Cryptic MMO before NeverWinter Nights starts up. It is admittedly moderately complicated so not everyone enjoys it.

For a deep, enjoyable, small download game I recommend NetHack. One of the classic, retro computer games that provides a D&D-based dungeon (and outer planes) adventure that is different every time you play it.

If you want to go *really* retro you can buy PDF editions of older versions of pen and paper D&D at http://www.dndclassics.com/

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.