test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You should just make the game buy once play forever

nekkinekki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
i mean seriously. just pulla guild wars and make it a single 15-30 dollar buy in to just play the game. this whole "founders pack" stuff that games have been doing the last year is bull. so many games do it now. first time i saw it was mechwarrior. and it was dumb than. "pay us 200 dollars and get this stuff" .... seriously?... also what happened to people who preordered torchlight 2 getting a free in on the beta? i've gotten to play like 2 days last weekend and i preordered torchlight 2 last year on the dame preorders were availible. but because i did ot on steam "oh we're sorry you should have preordered with us. herp da derp." YOU SHOULD GIVE EVERYONE WHO PREORDERED THE SAME DEAL!!.. just seriously. the way free to play games are getting now days is dumb.. its not free to play.. its "lets fleece them atleast twice for money".

after this "beta weekend" bull and marvel heroes "OH HEY HERES YOUR BETA KEY!! YOU GET TO PLAY SATURDAY THE 30TH FROM 10 AM TO 6 PM!!!" super limited timed beta's and founder packs... all just seriously dumb.. and you people think the game breaking bugs will be found like this?
Post edited by nekki on

Comments

• nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pretty much any mmo site was giving out free keys so it wasnt really hardto get into beta...besides, i dont get your point...you dont have to buy a founders pack - they all contain non necessary fluff items. i for one will not buy one for the simple reason that they dont contain anything i like particularly
  • vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Man this the first time ever I read this type of post. This news to me..:rolleyes:
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wait, so you're saying Neverwinter should cost money to buy the game and then be free forever? Instead of being free, free and totally free?

Hrmm...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    /me breaks out the violin....
  • vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the game was B2P from the start I think there wouldnt have been as many people moaning about the Zen shop prices and F2P.
    B2P and a lvl 20 F2P limit may have been a good other option but thats a thing of conjecture.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    nekki wrote: »
    i mean seriously. just pulla guild wars and make it a single 15-30 dollar buy in to just play the game. this whole "founders pack" stuff that games have been doing the last year is bull. so many games do it now. first time i saw it was mechwarrior. and it was dumb than. "pay us 200 dollars and get this stuff" .... seriously?... also what happened to people who preordered torchlight 2 getting a free in on the beta? i've gotten to play like 2 days last weekend and i preordered torchlight 2 last year on the dame preorders were availible. but because i did ot on steam "oh we're sorry you should have preordered with us. herp da derp." YOU SHOULD GIVE EVERYONE WHO PREORDERED THE SAME DEAL!!.. just seriously. the way free to play games are getting now days is dumb.. its not free to play.. its "lets fleece them atleast twice for money".

after this "beta weekend" bull and marvel heroes "OH HEY HERES YOUR BETA KEY!! YOU GET TO PLAY SATURDAY THE 30TH FROM 10 AM TO 6 PM!!!" super limited timed beta's and founder packs... all just seriously dumb.. and you people think the game breaking bugs will be found like this?

1) Having different preorder bonuses based on whom you purchase from is common practice. They make more if you buy directly from them and therefore gave those who did a bigger incentive.

2) You are not required to buy a thing.

3) There is an alpha test group and a foundry beta group that have access to the game more frequently than the weekend betas.

4) Ranting on a forum rarely gets anyone to consider any of your points.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear OP:

337066999_e6ac1e79c8.jpg

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New and exciting post, OP.
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dear op:

337066999_e6ac1e79c8.jpg

no! I do not like green eggs and ham!
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, I agree with some of the points from the OP...but more from an ideological standpoint then actually caring. I'm fine with having it be F2P and having founders packs. My concern is that games are going F2P because it makes money. Which to me, begs the question, what is wrong with society? Why would you complain about a game costing money but then end up paying more money for a game that is "free"...I mean, if people didn't end up paying more it wouldn't make more money and the F2P business model never would have taken off... o.O
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I believe OP has a valid point. Instead of founders packs, they could just sell the game(or class) for an affordable fee, then they could charge for microtransactions (just like GW2)

I believe the major reason is: "totally free" players can leave the game at any moment. There is nothing to stop them. If they paid even a little bit money, then they feel "ok, I should at least make it worth for my money" and continue playing. However in this current state, only founders pack users might be left as their remaining player base and the population might be very low after release charm is gone. Less players is less fun.

What could be done ?
    There might be a "Novice Class" which can go up to lvl 10 for free. And all classes could be sold for 10 Euro. By doing so, they could milk me and my friends(3) for at least 40 Euro, even if we decided to leave the game after ESO release. And they could also sell packs such as "barbarian + wolf pet + warthog mount for 30 euro". And of course more expensive visually armored versions could be sold as well.

The main purpose is making people taste a little bit, and make them pay a little fee for real game. And they might buy more stuff. By this way they could keep enough consistent players.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    FYI, Guild Wars 2 had a Collector's Edition that cost $149, came with "exclusive" in-game items, gave you beta access, and got you into Head Start 3 days before launch.

You know, pretty much what the $60 pack here gets you. Except no worthless statue to gather dust until you accidentally break it and toss it out.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    There was no pre-order, you're confusing promotions with pre-orders, NWO never had a pre-order and never will because there is no game to "buy" because it is free. The game is Free to Download and Free to Play. This is not a hybrid system, this is not a freemium game, this a Free to Play Game.

Furthermore, there is testing going on constantly both internally and by the Alpha Testers. So to think that Closed Beta is the last and only testing being done is an uninformed and incorrect assumption.

Additionally, the Founder's Packs were not selling Beta. Beta Access was just one of the many bonuses to becoming a Founder, yet so many seem to get hung up on this, thinking this is the only way to get access. Not to forget, the T2 pre-order as well, the Beta Access was a bonus, not the item bought. If one bought something merely for one of the "bonuses," well then that was your decision, no one elses.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    Yep. I already had at least four things ensuring me beta access before I bought my Founder's pack.
  • makubimakubi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Yep. I already had at least four things ensuring me beta access before I bought my Founder's pack.

Do you think it's worth getting the Guardian Pack & Starter just for the bonus stuff? That is if your pocket is deep enough and plan to stick around for awhile?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ +2 Lipstick of Power ]

I draw my own signature/avatar when I am bored.
  • soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

tumblr_mfp8971y771qclwico1_400.jpg

All that dude does is post negative things. Don't make the Troll any fatter.
  • lindamuslindamus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sadgfh wrote: »
    no! I do not like green eggs and ham!

Would you eat it with a fox?
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    amvek wrote: »
    Would you eat it in a box?

Would you sneak it past Sgt Knox?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited April 2013
    FYI, Guild Wars 2 had a Collector's Edition that cost $149, came with "exclusive" in-game items, gave you beta access, and got you into Head Start 3 days before launch.

You know, pretty much what the $60 pack here gets you. Except no worthless statue to gather dust until you accidentally break it and toss it out.

I'm Collecting these CE's as much as I can (couldn't get the GW2 one). I love their printed Art Books. I also love those statues and my room is filled with them. I believe they worth every single cent and I can share their beauty with my non-gamer friends as well.

As an example, I have 2 Helghast helmets on each side of my Laptop while writing this post and I don't even have a PS3 ! All of my physical CE items are in perfect condition since I'm keeping them safe.
    helmets.jpg

Anyways... What I'm afraiding is to alienate players by making "them and us" kind of distinction by founder packs. They might just leave since there will be nothing they lose unlike founders. And our player database might decrease rapidly after release. I hope I'm wrong.

edit:
    just corrected a logical mistake which I have done because of my poor English :o
    edited April 2013
    makubi wrote: »
    Do you think it's worth getting the Guardian Pack & Starter just for the bonus stuff? That is if your pocket is deep enough and plan to stick around for awhile?

The Founder's pack is worth it to me; I don't have a lot of time to play, but I am well paid, so I'd rather spend money to get cool stuff that improves my experience in my limited gaming time. As for the Starter, I'm holding off on that because I don't think I need the extra bit. I'm not ruling it out yet though.
    forumcan wrote: »
    Anyways... What I'm afraiding is to alienate players by making "them and us" kind of distinction by founder packs. They might just leave since there will be nothing they lose unlike founders. And our player database might decrease rapidly after release. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, it's an MMORPG; the player base will have a huge dropoff shortly after launch, it's inevitable. However, the mark of a successful MMO is that they come back over time. I think this game will be able to grow like that, slowly but steadily; and the particular mix of UGC improvements and lore that will attract people who are experienced at adventure design will be enough to make it reach "critical mass" and sustain a large, healthy community that will constantly attract new people to the game.
  • fabmarkfabmark Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I havent paid a cent for neverwinter and i just got a beta key for the 3rd weekend just to play around,i was surprised how much fun i had playing it and i will be playing it for a while,i will spend my cash on the game mainly on exp pots and mounts,i love using exp pots when i am in a good solid exping group,in the eq guild i am in we take turns popping them and some of the sessions turn into 12 hours ones.
    the reason i am happy nwo is f2p is after buying the previos d@d online game i was so disapointed with it i quit within 2 weeks.
    I had fun playing around with the various classes and hopefully the paladin will be in at launch or near.
    I will make an account for each class i play.Rock on nwo you rock,havent had these much fun since warhammer online(swtor was such aboring game after lvl 20 rinse and repeat)
    edited April 2013
    Well, it's an MMORPG; the player base will have a huge dropoff shortly after launch, it's inevitable. However, the mark of a successful MMO is that they come back over time. I think this game will be able to grow like that, slowly but steadily; and the particular mix of UGC improvements and lore that will attract people who are experienced at adventure design will be enough to make it reach "critical mass" and sustain a large, healthy community that will constantly attract new people to the game.

I wish this comment to happen.
    I believe D&D lore is far more greater than any current MMO on the market. There should be many stuff waiting to be implemented in this game. I'm especailly looking for future classes and memorable D&S events. I wish they could get enough steady income to support Neverwinter idea.
    There is ALWAYS an US vs THEM mentality in any MMO. It can be caused by opposing factions, guilds attempting to be the first to get to content, subscribers vs non subscribers or founders vs non founders. There is nothing that can be done about it. As soon as a game becomes multiplayer there is an US vs THEM mentality.

If you do not want the game to be US vs THEM convince them to go back to their original idea for the game of co-op style.

I was not talking about competition.
    Currently, this game is not "Pay to Win". I want it to stay as it is.

If developers/publishers coudn't get enough profit to continue Neverwinter project, then they will invent "new ways" to get that profit which may include P2W items in the market. This desicion will create "payers and non-payers" distinction and alienate non-payers. It will even alienate less payers!!!

Founders are actually donating to this project to make it better. But after release what will support this project to go on?
    fabmark wrote: »
    I havent paid a cent for neverwinter and i just got a beta key for the 3rd weekend just to play around,i was surprised how much fun i had playing it and i will be playing it for a while,i will spend my cash on the game mainly on exp pots and mounts,i love using exp pots when i am in a good solid exping group,in the eq guild i am in we take turns popping them and some of the sessions turn into 12 hours ones.
    the reason i am happy nwo is f2p is after buying the previos d@d online game i was so disapointed with it i quit within 2 weeks.
    I had fun playing around with the various classes and hopefully the paladin will be in at launch or near.
    I will make an account for each class i play.Rock on nwo you rock,havent had these much fun since warhammer online(swtor was such aboring game after lvl 20 rinse and repeat)

I have tried to play the previous D&D game as well. And I clearly understand your pain. Hopefully developers are different.

I also played 3rd Beta and I'm amazed. It was much more better than I was expecting. I played until lvl 20 and got my regular mount. I think I may pay for extra race/class selection and visual mounts such as armored warthog(if such thing exist in D&D).

Note:
    Guys, I'm using "quote" a lot. Please don't think that I'm trying to make puns or that kind of stuff. Since English is not my native language, I'm trying to reinforce what I'm trying to say. Also if something I wrote looks very offensive, it should probably not what it looks like. Please warn me by PM if that happens.
  • zorlunzorlun Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    makubi wrote: »

What his the worth of anything ?

People find the pack worth it ... they buy it.
    People do not find the pack worth it ... they do not buy it.

The worth is very subjective, that depend on wallet, on preference, on life, on market, on people...
    Sorry for the grammar, I'm only French ! :)
  • drakkaar123drakkaar123 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013

So you would rather have a forced buy, rather than the voluntary buy system that they have now? Yes, the top tier founder's pack is around $199, which is around what lifetime subs were going for in other Cryptic games, before they all went free to play. But there are also other founder's packs, from $19.99 to $59.99, which is around the same price range that your are complaining about and also around the same price range as a game that you buy once, play forever would sell for. So far from what I have seen of Neverwinter, it is one of the best done free-to-play systems that I have seen to date. Why would you complain when you have the option to chose what you want to pay, or even to pay nothing at all. The game is not pay to win at all, in any way, shape or form and you are not limited, restricted or punished in any way if you chose to pay nothing at all. I have played many other MMOs and many other MMOs that claim to be free to play, but few of them are truly free to play. Certainly not to the extent that Neverwinter is.

I have also participated in many other MMO betas, and I can tell you that every single one of them only ever have had a limited beta test lasting for a few days. That is just the way beta tests are. It is only a test phase after all and not some kind of pre-launch. I don't really know why they didn't give steam pre-orders access to the beta, but I would guess it is because steam pre-orders got another bonus for their purchase, that was exclusive to steam pre-orders, but I also think it is fairly generous that they gave any Torchlight 2 pre-order customers beta access to a completely unrelated game in the first place.

I really can't understand why you would be complaining about any of the issues that you mentioned. You either didn't realize any of this, or you are just one of those kinds of people, that will complain about anything and everything, no matter what, just for the sake of complaining.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So the OP hasnt posted since creating the thread. but I'll go ahead and bite.

I bought the Hero of the North and dont plan on buying much else. No different then me buying the CE of WoW/D3/SC2/Rift. I'm sure there's more CE's I've bought but cant remember them.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    There is ALWAYS an US vs THEM mentality in any MMO. It can be caused by opposing factions, guilds attempting to be the first to get to content, subscribers vs non subscribers or founders vs non founders. There is nothing that can be done about it. As soon as a game becomes multiplayer there is an US vs THEM mentality.

If you do not want the game to be US vs THEM convince them to go back to their original idea for the game of co-op style.

Guild/faction Versus...is conflict created by the players in the game to enjoy the game.
    Subscribers/freebers...founders/sane people....those are created by the developers and cause unwanted strife in the community...but what am I saying... F2P games couldnt care less about community. The suckers will pay gladly and they dont want the discerning customer who might actually demand content as opposed to a shamrock pattern on their horse armor for 10 bucks.

Charging a sub and everybody being on a level playing field...everybody having equal access to everything in game...those used to be common sense rules for any game. But not anymore, not with the entitled generation. no problem, luckily, I can spend my cash on plenty of other games that havent went this way yet.

And just think....if this game was a subscription based game, then when it goes live...you wouldnt have to put up with negative people like me unless we paid for the game too.....