test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New PvP information

zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
just got through listening to the podcast with MMORPG.com and Andy Velasquez ovr at http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/375022403 and one of my major concerns is the fact that you can do group based PvP. Meaning you can queue up with a group to do PvP matches.

Please for the sake of your casual playerbase (which will be many)implement a feature to where Pre-Mades can not go against PUG's. This is the single most detrimental thing you can do to instanced based PvP. GW2 is the only game that I know of that culls the possibility of doing pre-made PvP (SPvP in GW2) they instead leave the pre-made groups for their Tourney structure meaning you will not be able to steamroll over PUG's and earnign Valor faster then someone who is only doing PvP as an enjoyment mode of gameplay.

Please reconsider the allowance of having Pre-Made's being able to roll PUG's, at the very least there should be 2 seperate queues, one for Pre-Mades and one for PUG's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Character is what a man is in the dark
Post edited by zylaxx on

Comments

• vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't care how they do it. I'm just glad there is PvP.
  • ekhranekhran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    just got through listening to the podcast with MMORPG.com and Andy Velasquez ovr at http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/375022403 and one of my major concerns is the fact that you can do group based PvP. Meaning you can queue up with a group to do PvP matches.

Please for the sake of your casual playerbase (which will be many)implement a feature to where Pre-Mades can not go against PUG's. This is the single most detrimental thing you can do to instanced based PvP. GW2 is the only game that I know of that culls the possibility of doing pre-made PvP (SPvP in GW2) they instead leave the pre-made groups for their Tourney structure meaning you will not be able to steamroll over PUG's and earnign Valor faster then someone who is only doing PvP as an enjoyment mode of gameplay.

Please reconsider the allowance of having Pre-Made's being able to roll PUG's, at the very least there should be 2 seperate queues, one for Pre-Mades and one for PUG's.

QFT.

Don't let Pre-Made groups fight against PUGs
  • elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited March 2013
    Um... it should be mixed for the sake of convenience. If the groups are separate then you have to roll with a full group or no group at all. This means friends not being able to play together if they have 3 out of 5 people required or something like that.
  • ekhranekhran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elve wrote: »
    Um... it should be mixed for the sake of convenience. If the groups are separate then you have to roll with a full group or no group at all. This means friends not being able to play together if they have 3 out of 5 people required or something like that.

No. it shouldn't. Friends want to play together? get friends to fill out a group to max.

small pre-mades+randoms vs a full PUG is pretty much decided even before start.
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    they really should have just left pvp out and let the pvp'ers go to gw2. all it's going to do is get pve over-nerfed and become not fun due to the pvp whiners. i was really hoping there was going to finally be a pve only mmo..
  • chrysooochrysooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited March 2013
    daed76 wrote: »
    they really should have just left pvp out and let the pvp'ers go to gw2. all it's going to do is get pve over-nerfed and become not fun due to the pvp whiners. i was really hoping there was going to finally be a pve only mmo..

to bad gw2 pvp is worse than... even wow's
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ekhran wrote: »
    small pre-mades+randoms vs a full PUG is pretty much decided even before start.
    It depends, don't ever underestimate the power of instincts.
    edited March 2013
    kimoy8520 wrote: »
    It depends, don't ever underestimate the power of instincts.

i might sound arrogant now (that's not my intention). I've been doing PvP since... well for a very very long time in MMOs.

Playing with 2/3+me as Pre-mades in PvP on small team sized matches mainly.

And I've never, ever lost a single of our matchs. A team with a little brain, and very basic cooperation in a 5v5/6v6 or w/e game we are talking about.

The team with the 2/3 guys in pre-made will win. Unless one or more of the members of the pre-made has disconnect/totally bad at his class/a raging hamster eats his internet cable.

Voice Com and Years of experience played together > Any individuals instinct.

In a PUG there will always be much less cooperation due to them being need to Type, and can't react as fast to unpredicted circumstances as some1 on VOIP. There's no denying it.

so in a 5v5 match for example:

Team A: 4man pre-made+1 random vs 5 man PUG = guess the outcome...

The above scenario is borderline exploit...

Why? Every **** game matches Full Pre-Mades against other Full Pre-Mades, or at-least that's the first the matchmaking looks for.

With not filling in the group, leaving 1/2 space empty for randoms, you essentially avoid being forced to be matched against other teams so you have to play on equal grounds...

TL;DR: Don't let Any player numbered Pre-Mades be matched against PUGs
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's ok we have different opinions and experiences. We'll from what I experienced before, we were able to outplay a decent PUG by just playing correctly with our particular role. On the other hand, PUG is always a mismatch with random players. We can't deny that fact.
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    well such a thing can be atleast partly controlled by searching for the best match of classes pre entering the match. Not fully, but atleast you wont be entering without a CW or DC... if that turns out to be viable classes for PvP ofcourse.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah make randoms vs randoms and teams vs teams,teams vs randoms is wrong none will like pvp if u do that since u will have full groups of top players which will have easy farm on randoms players which are mostly new or casual players which will be easy to kill by made teams,and that players if are new will quit game or pvp and casual players will quit playing pvp
  • kreugerkreuger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To start off this post, I have to say I love to pvp. Its one of the most fun competitive things there is to do in a game. To match yourself against other people to determine who is the best.

But the worst thing about pvp is that it often comes at the price of nerfing ones power in pve.

PvE should always come first, but because some kid rages on the forum about ability X is too strong in pvp, it gets nerfed in pve,
    and then the balance is skewed again, and they have to make other changes to make up for that.

This leads to a never ending circle of buffing and nerfing, and endless whine on the forums (you've all seen it before).

Can't wait to try out neverwinters pvp tho;) Buckle up!
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

It already started. According to Andy Velasquez they nerfed the Control Wizard's Magic Missle as it used to be able to be used on the move and according to him it was nerfed to self-root because of the possibilities to kite all day long.

Agree with you, I used to love PvP but I have finally found out after close to 14 years of MMO gaming I dont like it any longer, If I can go 5+ months in GW2 without playing one SPvP match and less then 1 hour in WvW I think I can safely skip PvP in this game. Still though I only bring this premade vs pug up because its always been a factor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    PUGs in Neverwinter will have the ability to use in game VoIP as long as everyone understands that in order to be good at PvP in a PUG you need to utilize the in game system, then it should be fine. The problem will come with the fact that not everyone who does PUG PvP will want to use voice, so the PUGs will still end up screwed.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. You can only get better if you play with a better opponent.
    2. If you are already good, i imagine it's isn't hard to find 4 people for a group.
    3. These are just excuses from people who can't play pvp but want to win points without learning to play.
    4. If you are bad you shouldn't win jack, first get steamrolled by good players and learn a few things then come back.
    5. When you get better, refer to No. 2
    6. If you don't want to learn ("casual pvp-ers"), you shouldn't be able to buy elite pvp gear
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    papi032 wrote: »
    1. You can only get better if you play with a better opponent.
    2. If you are already good, i imagine it's isn't hard to find 4 people for a group.
    3. These are just excuses from people who can't play pvp but want to win points without learning to play.
    4. If you are bad you shouldn't win jack, first get steamrolled by good players and learn a few things then come back.
    5. When you get better, refer to No. 2
    6. If you don't want to learn ("casual pvp-ers"), you shouldn't be able to buy elite pvp gear

so have fun against full last lvl gems players and best gear u can buy for $$ ,u will see how fun this is very fast when they start killing u and your random team whit few hits,even your full random team will not be able to kill just one of that ppl and dont forget u will have 5 of them against u and your random team
  • kalvorakkalvorak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    You have to allow small numbers of players simply so friends can group up. Just make it so up to 5 players can group up and any more need to do a full premade vs premade. You could increase that number if the game modes are bigger than 15v15.

Also, re: Magic Missile - I imagine it's also to do with endlessly kiting melee mobs in pve as well.
  • robopwnrobopwn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only changes slated that we know about so far as a result of PvE (Control Wizard changes) are actually PvE only since NPCs don't mind ez-mode and endless crowd control. This suggests that at least PW has their head's on straight with regard to this typical MMO player complaint ("your PvP is ruining my PvE etc").
    kreuger wrote: »
    To start off this post, I have to say I love to pvp. Its one of the most fun competitive things there is to do in a game. To match yourself against other people to determine who is the best.

But the worst thing about pvp is that it often comes at the price of nerfing ones power in pve.

PvE should always come first, but because some kid rages on the forum about ability X is too strong in pvp, it gets nerfed in pve,
    and then the balance is skewed again, and they have to make other changes to make up for that.

This leads to a never ending circle of buffing and nerfing, and endless whine on the forums (you've all seen it before).

Why exactly should PvE always come first? I get that people love stating this, but PvP isn't the only area where balance matters. As they plan to have a host of classes in Neverwinter, I hope folks are prepared, there will be a host of balance changes over the years.

Amusingly 4e is by far the most balanced edition of DnD, hopefully they pursue the same general goals in Neverwinter.
    edited March 2013
    With regard to OP's topic though, I do hope that they separate PUG vs. pre-made group play. It has taken years but developers do seem to have generally understood that PUG-stomping is only fun for one side of the equation.
    edited March 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    so have fun against full last lvl gems players and best gear u can buy for $$ ,u will see how fun this is very fast when they start killing u and your random team whit few hits,even your full random team will not be able to kill just one of that ppl and dont forget u will have 5 of them against u and your random team

Yea i don't think the curve is that big. IF skill matters, it should be fine. I hate bringing up wow, but my team outplayed players with gear 2 seasons higher. If all it takes to win here is to drop money while it would take me half a year to farm for gems and such, i won't even be bothering myself with playing the game. Then again, it's not the problem in pvp system, it's the problem with the game itself and its money hunger.

There should be a gear bracket. If i have to play vs a premade of good players on equal ground gear wise then by all means, bring it on... And then AGAIN, it's not a problem with the pvp system, but with gear and how much money you spent.
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    papi032 wrote: »
    Yea i don't think the curve is that big. IF skill matters, it should be fine. I hate bringing up wow, but my team outplayed players with gear 2 seasons higher. If all it takes to win here is to drop money while it would take me half a year to farm for gems and such, i won't even be bothering myself with playing the game. Then again, it's not the problem in pvp system, it's the problem with the game itself and its money hunger.

They've said the best PvP gear will come from doing PvP(whether this will actually be the case remains to be seen.) You will probably have better gear to enter PvP in the first place if you have Astral Diamond gear, however.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    edited March 2013
    shaudius wrote: »
    They've said the best PvP gear will come from doing PvP(whether this will actually be the case remains to be seen.) You will probably have better gear to enter PvP in the first place if you have Astral Diamond gear, however.

I don't even mind losing as long is it isn't insanely imbalanced... aka what i said before, farming enchants 24/7 for months while they drop in money, also depends if the gap in enchant levels is big.. Gotta wait and see
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    shaudius wrote: »
    PUGs in Neverwinter will have the ability to use in game VoIP as long as everyone understands that in order to be good at PvP in a PUG you need to utilize the in game system, then it should be fine. The problem will come with the fact that not everyone who does PUG PvP will want to use voice, so the PUGs will still end up screwed.

How many times did you run the dungeons in Beta weekend 1 and 2. I can count on one hand the amount of people who used the ingame VOIP. Sorry this isn't a reason to add the ability to queue premade vs pug. I suggest anyone who is opposed to this are the ones who want to be able to steamroll pugs and accumalate Valor quicker then anyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    How many times did you run the dungeons in Beta weekend 1 and 2. I can count on one hand the amount of people who used the ingame VOIP. Sorry this isn't a reason to add the ability to queue premade vs pug. I suggest anyone who is opposed to this are the ones who want to be able to steamroll pugs and accumalate Valor quicker then anyone else.

During beta weekend 1, a bunch, during beta weekend 2, not really, but then again I rarely ran dungeons in beta weekend 2(or grouped in general for that matter, as its a lot harder to take screenshots while doing content as a group as someone else can advance a quest dialogue without you being able to screen capture it.)

I would think with PvP it would be a lot more common to use the in game VoIP. Since being able to speak to your teammates is a lot more important in PvP. There will of course people who don't want to, but I think they're doing themselves a PvP disservice.
  • tusslebugtusslebug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The very notion that Classes need to be balanced is the first step to breaking the combat system. D&D combat is designed around team synergy. Some Classes can solo well, some can't. PVP combat must be based on team composition as well. Once the Dev's start down the road of equalizing all classes to match up in a one-on-one fight, a cycle will begin that will spiral this combat system right down the drain. Trying to get PVE & PVP to coexist is a tall order. The only hope of being successful, is to remain true to PVE Class mechanics (as tested daily against PVE content).

If the PVP Wizards keep getting killed in the first four seconds of every fight, don't start altering the Wizard Class. Players need to understand the risks of their role (don't whine to the Dev's; instead, play a class you will be happy with).

Invariably, changes will need to be made; but make those changes in the PVE AI. Program the MOBs to behave more like PVP players. If the PVP players are finding quick ways to breakdown Team Mechanics, then the PVE AI should be employing those same tactics. Once the PVE AI has been upgraded, and a Class is truly showing a flaw, then begin reassessing that Class for change. Those changes should restore balance to both PVP and PVE.

As for PUGs vs Premades, we all know that PUGs get waxed. When queues are full, the two should be separated as best they can. When queues are light and you are running solo, prepare yourself for a beating - You will always be on the team without healers!
    NWN, The Artisan Chronicles
    edited March 2013

So true. my thoughts put in words :)
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is a bit of a divergence from the subject, but isn't most of the game's PVE content intended to be winnable solo? Implying that having characters balanced relative to one another outside of a party is in fact a major goal for PVE, regardless of Cryptic's approach towards dueling? It's all well and good to balance a game around role-based gameplay if you're going to be forcing players into role-based content. But if everybody is supposed to be able to solo the same content, there's going to be a lot of pressure towards every character having the same total of damage mitigation and damage output abilities, although some might have more mitigation than output and vice versa.
  • firstrangersfirstrangers Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kreuger wrote: »

Quoting for emphasis. Can't wait to eat people and get nerfed into oblivion.
    Fight smarter not harder.
    edited March 2013
    tusslebug wrote: »
    The very notion that Classes need to be balanced is the first step to breaking the combat system. D&D combat is designed around team synergy. Some Classes can solo well, some can't. PVP combat must be based on team composition as well. Once the Dev's start down the road of equalizing all classes to match up in a one-on-one fight, a cycle will begin that will spiral this combat system right down the drain. Trying to get PVE & PVP to coexist is a tall order. The only hope of being successful, is to remain true to PVE Class mechanics (as tested daily against PVE content).
    This really just isn't the case in 4e D&D (relatively irrelevant as this is an MMO) and balance is an issue both in PvE and PvP. The rock/paper/scissor build never really works aside from in the rose tinted lenses of hindsight, I definitely have some RPS games that I remember super-fondly but being caught by the rock when you were the scissor was never pleasant, particularly in games without collision (player collision makes this more tolerable as team tactics mean something besides just "hide in the stack"
    If the PVP Wizards keep getting killed in the first four seconds of every fight, don't start altering the Wizard Class. Players need to understand the risks of their role (don't whine to the Dev's; instead, play a class you will be happy with).
    In PvE this works because your Defenders (Guardian Fighters) taunt away from the Controller (Control Wizard), in PvP unless taunts have some damage mitigation and semi-forced auto-targeting this doesn't work. Again, if there were collision involved this would be more possible but in PvP bottom line monsters don't all spam their highest damage attacks on the soft targets because the game is not designed for them to do that, in PvP you would be a fool not to.
    Invariably, changes will need to be made; but make those changes in the PVE AI. Program the MOBs to behave more like PVP players. If the PVP players are finding quick ways to breakdown Team Mechanics, then the PVE AI should be employing those same tactics. Once the PVE AI has been upgraded, and a Class is truly showing a flaw, then begin reassessing that Class for change. Those changes should restore balance to both PVP and PVE.

As for PUGs vs Premades, we all know that PUGs get waxed. When queues are full, the two should be separated as best they can. When queues are light and you are running solo, prepare yourself for a beating - You will always be on the team without healers!
    Ideally I agree with regard to your PvE AI, however we'd all be playing a very different game if PvE AI was anywhere near on par with PvP players. This is the challenge and the joy of PvP (sentient opponents) and what makes the push for balance in PvP typically relevant.
  • tusslebugtusslebug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    robopwn wrote: »
    This is the challenge...

What robopwn has eloquently outlined here are the very hurdles facing the NW Dev's as they begin a process of balancing PVP and PVE. I love both styles of play, but I have never found a game that truly allowed the two to work in unison. I am hoping for the best, but we have all ridden this train before, and we've seen where the rails end.
    NWN, The Artisan Chronicles