test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you think this is pronounced?

ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
My rogue, her name is Slique. I know how *I* pronounce it, but it just occurred to me that others may not get what I intended. So, after reading her name, how do you think it's pronounced? Was I successful or am I too clever-by-half?

Thanks! :)
Post edited by ricktacular on

Comments

• ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just googled "Slique"...

AAHH!! Are you *kidding* me! Man, it's such a cool name for a female rogue. :(
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My first instinct would be that Slique is pronounced "Sleek"...
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    That's really slick. She must be hard to catch.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At first instinct I would pronounce it as "Sleek" while keeping in mind that slick can also be the way it might be pronounced.
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I actually misread it at first as Silque, so I was thinking Silky. But after rereading, yeah I would go with Sleek.
    qtPt2I
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, everyone. Yes, it's pronounced "Sleek" in my head. It's nice to know that everyone's on the same page. :)
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would pronounce it "slick," to rhyme with the similarly-spelled "clique."
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, everyone. Yes, it's pronounced "Sleek" in my head. It's nice to know that everyone's on the same page. :)

Huh. English rules would pronounce it "slick" just as toadoflicking says. "Sleek" would be "slieque" or "sleeque" - not "slique". Simple rules of English language because there's no modifier vowel to cause the "long" I sound (which is the "ee" sound) - hence my suggestion of "Slieque". ;-)

"Slique" idea, though.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For some reason this popped into my head on the drive to work this morning (exciting drive :P ) and I realized why I thought it should be "sleek" ---- I was thinking of the word pique, as in to pique your interest. If it had been Sliq, then I would have said "slick".
    edited March 2013
    Huh. English rules would pronounce it "slick" just as toadoflicking says. "Sleek" would be "slieque" or "sleeque" - not "slique". Simple rules of English language because there's no modifier vowel to cause the "long" I sound (which is the "ee" sound) - hence my suggestion of "Slieque". ;-)

"Slique" idea, though.

Heh, if it were English. But as you may guess, I am touting my French ancestry here. ;)
  • napherinapheri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like that name. nice job :)
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Heh, if it were English. But as you may guess, I am touting my French ancestry here. ;)

And you know what!? I think that's perfectly fair. :)
  • glowyrmzglowyrmz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    For some reason this popped into my head on the drive to work this morning (exciting drive :P ) and I realized why I thought it should be "sleek" ---- I was thinking of the word pique, as in to pique your interest. If it had been Sliq, then I would have said "slick".

I was reading this thread going, "how are these people getting sleek from that?!", until I saw your rational explanation.

When I think about it, I think "i" following "que" is meant to be a long "e" sound, like in unique and antique.
    cROpbBa.png
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Doesn't everybody love the English language?

I see it as slick. I see it and think clique but the majority of the words which end in ique are indeed "eek" sounds.

antique boutique critique oblique physique pique technique
    And I am sure there are more...however my gut definitely sides with Slick.
    edited March 2013
    Well, seeing as how "sleek" can also be "slick", I'll accept both in your minds when you see "Slique". Aren't I a magnanimous fellah? ;)
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    More of it is a sleek to me. It feels like saying "Silly-eeek" and then beat it with a mace to smoothen it to "Sleek" sound with a touch of q somewhere bashed in by the mace.

yes that is how I view the words and language. Something wrong? I though all clerics viewed the language like that?