test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wizard Race Restrictions?

braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Library
I didn't find anything in a cursory glance in the specific wizard forum (it may be answered in a more general thread/forum) but in short I was wondering if there would ever be any race restrictions on any classes?

In particular, I was thinking of making a Dwarf Wizard. Just because. A scrawny, bookish dwarf who prefers reading to mining, whose nimble fingers are better suited to intricate spellcasting than swinging an axe. I don't recall any race/class prohibitions in beta.... if you can have a Tiefling Devoted Cleric, I'd think anything would be on the table!

Naturally a dwarf wizard won't be as "good", numerically, as a Tiefling wizard, for example. But I doubt those few points of stats will be a crippling disadvantage.

Along the same vein, I was thinking of a halfling Great Weapon Fighter... the weapon likely scales with hand size or something, though, so it would not look TOO comical to see a wee halfling flinging a six-foot-tall blade around. ;)
Post edited by braxzana on

Comments

• bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Any race can be any class. Personally I really want to make a Drow Archery Ranger at some point just to thumb my nose at the countless Drizzit clones, and I'm saving Tiefling for when the Scourge Warlock is released.

Though racials wise Elves, Humans, and Tieflings all have racials that will make them slightly better statistically. Since they all have racials that will give them +2 to Int.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Based on how ability scores work, I expect a Dwarf wizard to be entirely reasonable. INT might not actually be the most important stat for Wizards, as it just reduces cooldown length. WIS seems to improve chances of getting control effects to stick.

It isn't like 4E where your attack stat is your absolutely most important stat.

edit: wizard, not cleric...
  • zavon01zavon01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah there are no race restrictions. You only get bonuses for picking certain races. You won't get a +2 to Int for being a dwarf, but that isn't really much of a big deal. Though only real disadvantage to picking that combo will be the collateral damage from a rampaging drunk dwarf!
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    She's going to be a red-head, too, so watch out! ;)
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Any race can be any class. Personally I really want to make a Drow Archery Ranger at some point just to thumb my nose at the countless Drizzit clones.
    But Drizzt is rather well proficient with a bow for a dual wielding ranger. I'd rather make a Drow Wizard Drizzt wanna-be instead :D

I think a Halfling Wizard is more interesting anyways. It's just that because Dwarf is on the extreme opposite of potential Wizards, everyone wanting to be different chooses Dwarf which ironically makes it not so special anymore.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you really want to be different, then go for a Half-Orc Wizard.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    With Scourge Warlock confirmed my Tiefling will end up as one. My control Wizard will probably end up being a human or elf...well that or a Drow a +2 to Dex, and Cha could still come in handy
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    She's going to be a red-head, too, so watch out! ;)

Where's my "Like" button?
  • streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    If you really want to be different, then go for a Half-Orc Wizard.

This is what I am going to go with, until they have other races like in the facebook game.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • jinks1337jinks1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm going to play a Menzoberranzan Renegade wizard :(
    No, not really.
  • plaxy100plaxy100 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope they make sorcs half orcs actually make excellant Sorcerors in 4e...does that crit damage+extend to spells?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    I didn't find anything in a cursory glance in the specific wizard forum (it may be answered in a more general thread/forum) but in short I was wondering if there would ever be any race restrictions on any classes?

According to 4e Lore - No.