test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Frame Rate in the Neverwinter Town Hub

kagetempestkagetempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
In areas that seem to be populated by at least 15-20 players, my frame rate drops to 19-24 and freezes every so often. In dungeons, it is usually stabilized around the 55's to 65's.

for a point of reference, I am using a Asus Republic of Gamers Laptop. The G73 iteration with mobility radeon 5870 graphics.

I have one of the latest drivers.

Is the frame rate drop attributed to server load in those areas? If so, are there plans to have more instances of these areas to reduce load?
Post edited by kagetempest on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It seems many have slowdown in this specific area. Please post here if you are affected by it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kagetempestkagetempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So far I've gotten framerate slowdowns in the blacklake district and the tower district as well, though not as severe as the Enclave. I don't know why my framerate should take such a huge hit when The cloak Tower and some other Dungeon Instances are bigger than some of those districts and I get great framerates.
  • dunadan21dunadan21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I had stable fps in the graveyard zone for an hour or so then suddenly everything dropped to 10 fps maybe lower out of the ordinary.This has happened two more times when i opened a chest that a was a mimic.
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770,i usually run games at high so maybe its just beta being unstable at the moment?
    Need a family to share your adventures in neverwinter?Join us in www.grievanceguild.com
  • deohnoehdeohnoeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have had the game slow down near the stables twice. I dont know if the cause is the same but I have had rubberbanding issues in protector's enclave while going up the stairs to Sergeant Knox. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB with 16Gb RAM. I run the game on High.
  • jasco9jasco9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I experienced major lag when I came back to the hub many times. There were 100s of people running around though, so to be expected. Instanced locations like Blacklake and the tower district always ran smooth as did Cloak Tower.

- Jasc
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Protector's Enclave is a stutter-step extravaganza (well, not really THAT bad, but it's an obvious drop in frame rates). I see it most pronounced when in the area of the stables and market - real slowdowns in that area - which also is an "open" area where 3D object occlusion doesn't play well (too many mesh faces visible at once).

Its not so bad as to be unnavigable, but it's pretty obvious this area creates a heavy load on my system.
  • defachidefachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    I experience the same issue in Protector's Enclave and the tower district.
  • mcphredmcphred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also experienceing major fps drop in town (e.g. at the basar/market place). Going from capped at 60 down to 35-40.
    I dont think its lack of hardware power, or? (Spec: Intel i7 2600k @ 4ghz, 16gb ram, 2 gtx 680's in SLI, 100mb fiber connection)

Here is some more data if it can help:
    HWMonitor reports total CPU usage at 42%, GPU1 core load at 78% and GPU2 core load at 6%, gfx memory allocated at 1235MB. And total RAM used at 3326MB.

I've every setting at its absolute maximum value and i've tried dialling the settings down to minimum value one by one but i cant really figure out what's causing the fps-drop.
  • mcphredmcphred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seems DX11 was the source of at least 15 in dropped fps in town for me. ALSO DX11 caused full screen mode to really bug.

Everywhere in town the framerate is lower than it should/could be. Would be interesting to run around in an empty town and see what fps you get. Can really the other players cause such fps drops? (I just tested another mmo where in-town framerates with tons of people are no problem at all)
  • ghdhffdghdhffd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I have the same problem with Asus HD6870 1 GB GDDR5 card. Skyrim runs at max settings, swtor too. Kinda frustrated, this seems to be a great game otherwise. In Neverwinter my game slows down considerably, like others here have experienced. I hope they optimize the game before release.
  • lisellemorrowlisellemorrow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    mcphred wrote: »
    Seems DX11 was the source of at least 15 in dropped fps in town for me. ALSO DX11 caused full screen mode to really bug.

I lost some FPS in town as well after switching to DX11 mode, though not as extreme as in your case - it was about 5 fps difference for me, from 35-40fps in with DX9 down to 30-35fps with DX11 (max settings). Other than that DX11 mode seems to work fine, though I run in Windowed Fullscreen mode so I can't comment on any Fullscreen-related issues.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3 (B3)
    Core i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    8gb Corsair XMS3 @ 1333mhz
    EVGA GTX 680
    Windows 7 64-bit Ult
    edited March 2013
    I can't even change DX mode, there's no option for that. Or at least I can't find any...O.o
  • sargorethsargoreth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have not checked frame rates in Enclave, but I experienced huge rubberbanding there, and nowhere else. It was noticeably worse in the evening Friday as opposed to early afternoon. I assumed it was just server/bandwith load. It makes enclave annoying to be in, esp. as you cannot remote complete missions, you are forced to return to PE.

i5-2500K @3.3, 8GB RAM, GeForce 550Ti (ya, ya, I know) 20Mbps Cable (Comcast), Win7 64bit
  • mariusgeomariusgeo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have the same issue with frame rate in Enclave, the frame rate drops to around 20 or lower, from 30-40 outside of the enclave.

Also when I switch to full screen 1920x1080 from Windowed Maximized the screen flickers badly. To correct this I switch to a lower resolution then back to FHD without exiting full screen mode.

Laptop with i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Geforce 555M 3GB non 3D version, WIN 7 64bit
    edited March 2013
    BTW, anyone else experiencing a slight input lag when fighting? Like when you swing your weapon, it doesn't register right away? or is this normal?
  • sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Having this problem, worse this time (BW4).
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Enclave is disastrous this weekend. Some of the worst rubberbanding and lag I've seen in a game and I played the SWTOR beta. This needs to be fixed. It is gamebreaking. I spend more time frozen, kissing walls, spinning in circles, or being thrown across the screen than actually being able to move. Since so many quests happen here, it is particularly gamebreaking.
  • tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been getting anywhere from 14 to 24 in town with occasional momentary freezes. Outside of it mid 30s to 50s.
  • barakkabarakka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im having the same problem Intel core i7-3630QM Nvidia Geforce 635m 2GB max setting im getting 8-12 FPS my GPU temp don't go over 45C while with games like GW2 max settings i get 22-30 FPS GPU temp 75-78C. anyone knows if theres a bug with the nvidia graphics card?
  • meatbuttermeatbutter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I Get about 26-31 fps inside the Enclave.. 60-80 everywhere else.. On occasion in dungeons and pvp maps only I drop to like 5fps for 15-20seconds.

my specs
    AMD 8350
    ati 7950
    8gb ram
  • mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My framerate dips below 20 in the city... I had up to 60 in the starter area.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz | GPU: nVidia GTX 660 Ti | RAM: 8GB 1066MHz DDR2
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • doenekrigerendoenekrigeren Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have constant freezes in the game, all from 0.1-3 seconds while loading big models of houses i think, i get the freezes when turning my character or runing.

Specs:
    nVidia Geforce 525M
    i5-2450M CPU @2.5GhZ
    8gb of ddr3 ram
    Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The only places I have had any issues were at the market and the auction house. There after about 5 minutes it begins to stutter, then it freezes and my computer will crash. I have no issues in any other location of the Enclave, to include by SGT. Knox and at the shrine. I did have slight lag when I first got to the Moonstone Mask, but that cleared up after a minute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xerouxerou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have contant freezes in the game, all from 0.1-3 seconds while loading big models of houses i think, i get the freezes when turning my character or runing.

Specs:
    nVidia Geforce 525M
    i5-2450M CPU @2.5GhZ
    8gb of ddr3 ram
    Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Me too but my specs are different
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66 GHz
    nVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    6GB DDR 2
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
  • soaringcowsoaringcow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same issue kind of. My game usually runs at 50-70 fps but every now and then for like 5 seconds it'll go down to like 2 or 3 fps and then become ok again. I know it's not graphical load because the fps stabilizes after those 5 or seconds regardless of what's going on. I've tried enabling smooth Fps and framerate stabilizer but nothing. My fpsgraph still has these jarring blue/purple spikes every now and then that reach all the way up to the minimap from the bottom right corner of the screen :\
  • logisitcslogisitcs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been having similar framerate issues for days. It runs great while questing and out in the field and in PE, but as soon as I enter a skirmish or dungeon my FPS goes crazy, it's really low and stutters to where it's unplayable. I tried adjusting the graphical settings but nothing has helped.

i5-3570K @ 3.40 GHz
    8GB RAM DDR3
    Geforce GTX 660

It's really driving me crazy that I can't do group content in this game! And I even downloaded the beta 320.00 drivers and it didn't help at all!
  • dyssomniacdyssomniac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, just came here to add the same thing. Game runs ideally in an instance (even if I max out most of the settings), but tanks in the hub town.
    I'm running i5, gtx550 and 4gb ram.
  • lleraspro25lleraspro25 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm getting low FPS in Protector's Enclave, about 12/15 on the market to a max of 25 on the most retired areas.

I'm using an Athlon X2 6000+ CPU with a Nvidia GTS 250 with 1gb Vram, 3Gb RAM. When FPS are low CPU usage is at 95% more or less, but GPU Usage shows a max of 40%, if I look to the sky FPS go up and CPU usage lowers to 60 or 75%. Guess the town hub is pretty cpu intensive, or the game still needs to be optimized, it's barely open beta so it's understandable. But any help I can get is much appreciated!

Thanks
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having this issue only in dungeons, it happens in the same spots it seems like. Some days I barely lag, but like today dungeon runs have been horrible even at the lowest settings possible and my pc is above minimum specs. Any other game runs fine without this kind of lag.
  • timbriustimbrius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too am getting major FPS slowdown in town. Could we get a separate slider for character detail distance and render scale for towns only under troubleshooting? I'd hate to lower my setting for a place I only go to every now and then.
This discussion has been closed.