test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Archive] Neverwinter Extended FAQ

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daed76 wrote: »
    odd that they said there was going to be one mega-server and now they are saying that there will be multiple servers..

I thought they might have to, in spite of what was said previously. Not for server load, which is pretty easy to split up onto multiple servers, but for latency. With this being Cryptic's most action-oriented game, it's also their most latency-sensitive. With someone in Australia playing on a server in east coast USA, you'd be looking at about 200ms round trip latency just due to the laws of physics, even in ideal circumstances with direct point-to-point fiber, which doesn't actually exist.

And you can't solve this by using multiple servers in multiple locations merged into one virtual server, because you could have Americans playing in groups with Australians, and their instance would have to be hosted on one server located some specific place.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I assume that the Control Wizard and Halfliing missing from the FAQ is merely a typo. Otherwise, there would be a dev response indicating their removal.
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Are we for sure getting Half-Orc? This changes the need to spend $200, however, I see it as a typo with Halfling. I know there was a sith lord as the race you could not play in 1st beta but I figured it was the Drow. I would not mind waiting longer to have Gnome Halfling and Half-Orc all at launch but confusion currently as what will be available can serious changed things for us die-hard DnD fans. I cannot stand typical Drow lore but I feel the frustration that comes with having to wait at least 60 days after the launch of a game to play what you want to play. A lot of people are feeling this class side as well. The difference being Drow has already been confirmed and then denied for a period of time where classes are said to be added in over time.
    2.jpg
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    :)Where is the big header at top that says for entertainment purposes only. Everything can/will change :)

Glad to see the update even if it did lower my opinion of Cryptic and tighten my hold on my wallet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • synister9synister9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a bit bummed about the fact that you can't upgrade packs. Drow were not included when I made my selection. You'd think there'd be some way to upgrade as a gesture of good will.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I thought they might have to, in spite of what was said previously. Not for server load, which is pretty easy to split up onto multiple servers, but for latency. With this being Cryptic's most action-oriented game, it's also their most latency-sensitive. With someone in Australia playing on a server in east coast USA, you'd be looking at about 200ms round trip latency just due to the laws of physics, even in ideal circumstances with direct point-to-point fiber, which doesn't actually exist.

And you can't solve this by using multiple servers in multiple locations merged into one virtual server, because you could have Americans playing in groups with Australians, and their instance would have to be hosted on one server located some specific place.

I think it actually means shards, but most MMO players dont know what a "shard" is and thus they are saying server. The reason I say this is Every interview I have seen or heard with a dev in it talked about having multiple shards at launch to balance out the stress load and slowly they would merge the "shards" until it is 1 game shard with multiple instances
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    synister9 wrote: »
    I'm a bit bummed about the fact that you can't upgrade packs. Drow were not included when I made my selection. You'd think there'd be some way to upgrade as a gesture of good will.
    Good will from them or abuse by you? Menzoberranzan Renegade has been always part of the Hero of the North pack. Common drow has neer been part of any pack.
  • kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    I think the Menzoberranzan Renegade is ready but the normal drow isnt yet... atleast i hope thats the reason
  • finemdierumfinemdierum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    can you buy founder packs after beta?
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    can you buy founder packs after beta?

I highly doubt that you'll be able to, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be a founder if you got it after the game released. You -would- have time to buy one after the beta weekends, but before the game's release, as far as I know.
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would be so much nicer if the Drow was something you had to pay for to be able to play.. Just an opinion..
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pyrophoria wrote: »
    I highly doubt that you'll be able to, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be a founder if you got it after the game released. You -would- have time to buy one after the beta weekends, but before the game's release, as far as I know.

Agreed.
    Would be so much nicer if the Drow was something you had to pay for to be able to play.. Just an opinion.

Also agreed. Due to the Drow being free, they are going to number all other races by a huge amount. It's absolutely crazy the amount of ruckus Drow as a race has raised on these forums. At least if the Drow was made pay only it would make people at least acknowledge that other races might exist besides the almighty Drizzt Do'urden . . .

I, for one, am going to make my main a Half Elf . . . :D
  • soiledostrichsoiledostrich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    del for posterity.
  • finemdierumfinemdierum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sorry should have worded it better but that was what i meant thank you
  • paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited March 2013
    Would be so much nicer if the Drow was something you had to pay for to be able to play.. Just an opinion..

Is that because "oh man, there'll be so many Drizzt clones!"?

edit: Because it won't happen, MMO gamers are more interested in power gaming than playing Drizzt, seriously. whichever class and race is "best" or most fun will be the most common. You can see this in DDO, there's drow in that but you hardly ever see them.
  • nbgkanenbgkane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm a long time D&D player but what i read about this game makes me a little nervous.
    No Halflings? Preconfigured Classes only?

What if i want to play a Warlock-Rogue-Halfling? Never going to happen i guess ...
    Or did i miss some threads or official statements?
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

edit: Because it won't happen, MMO gamers are more interested in power gaming than playing Drizzt, seriously. whichever class and race is "best" or most fun will be the most common. You can see this in DDO, there's drow in that but you hardly ever see them.

I see several Drow (play one one myself as rogue), in DDO you can either unlock it with a quest for the account or buy the class AFAIR.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nbgkane wrote: »
    I'm a long time D&D player but what i read about this game makes me a little nervous.
    No Halflings? Preconfigured Classes only?

What if i want to play a Warlock-Rogue-Halfling? Never going to happen i guess ...
    Or did i miss some threads or official statements?

You are correct (though there are halflings).

Also: many of you "power D&D players" need to remember: the system is highly simplified for the non-power D&D players: average folks who just want to play a fun game. if it's too complicated they'll come, look and leave. Cryptic wants them to come, look, and stay.

As for being nervous: why? It's a free game. The only reason to be nervous is if you've purchased the starter kit or one of the Founder's packs - then you're invested and have a genuine reason for being nervous (unless you've played in the first Beta weekend already). So I would say relax. It's a free game you can jump into (and out of if it suits you) at launch for no cost, save for the time it takes to experience it.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I really hope that will be the case here. I truly do. He may have been referencing a lot of what we see in other games such as STO. I cannot enter any social or travel zone, ever, without seeing at least 5 ships in my pan of view with some sort of badly mispelled and butchered version of "Enterprise".

MMOs give us a unique ability to role-play something for any purpose. I cannot speak for others, but for me it gives me a chance to be something I cannot be in real life. I can immerse myself in a version of myself that I created as an image of what I would probably be if that world really existed and I lived in it. I don;t want to be Picard. I don't want to be Kirk. I don;t want to be Drizzt. I want to be me.

I think it makes it easier for us to play that role if others are also playing for individualistic roles. It is hard to "feel" the Star Trek world as a diverse environment when your ship is surrounded by the Enterprize, Enterprisee, Enturprise, Enterprice and Enterpride in one sitting.

Fortunately, we have options in STO that I forgot to check while the Beta weekend was active here in Neverwinter. I hope those options do exist here, being the ability to hide other players' nameplates so that we can go back to immersion and focus on our character and not everyone else's :) So I am hoping for Paddy to be correct, but still in agreement with Pyro as well that there should be ways to keep it from being "Welcome to humanville. Please pay no mind to the fact that we're surrounded 10-to-1 by Drow. They're hired help" LOL.

In all seriousness though - it really does not matter. I love NW so far and plan to keep enjoying it no matter what everyone else is playing. I also just DL'd DDO and plan to try it out as well, as I never knew it was free-ish until recently.
  • aedraaedra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

I'm not in states. Will there be any region IP block for this game in the future?
  • auzziemazzaauzziemazza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Question: If we buy the Hero or Guardian will we be getting the full game when it is released?

Sorry for a noobish question.
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When I buy ZEN in the beta, and assign it to the Neverwinter game, and spend it, I am assuming that it will be refunded to my neverwinter account.

I'd certainly hate to think I blew $100 on a weekend beta. heh...

thanks for confirming my assumption. (please.) :-)
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rizzahlrizzahl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Will there be content beyond Neverwinter City.. Perhaps Waterdeep and other places of interest in the forgotten realms?
  • dota333222dota333222 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is there a way to just get part of a pack. I just want the panther pet is there a way to only buy that or will there be when the game fully releases?
  • neyarineyari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dota333222 wrote: »
    Is there a way to just get part of a pack. I just want the panther pet is there a way to only buy that or will there be when the game fully releases?
    It may not be the same thing but this is cryptic, they will reuse the model eventually.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Please ask questions in this thread. Answers are no longer solely posted by me and must be approved by PWE as this is cannon extended info. Do know once new information is approved to be released I'll push it be updated here (if relevant) ASAP!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    . . . this is cannon ext. . .
    Should be replaced with canon for cannon is a piece of artillery.
    (I make this mistake all too often too)

Also, kindly delete this post after you make the correction. :D
  • degouliandegoulian Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm looking to get the Hero of the North founders pack because I really love the game; however, I have questions I can't find the answers to. For example, when buying the HotN pack, does future game content become automatically available to those who paid good money for the game or will we have to buy additional classes/races in addition to the $200+ already spent...one the game is released.
  • galironsyrgalironsyr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I'm a huge Drizzt fan and I really want the Drizzt related founder's content, but I'm perfectly fine waiting for the game to be released. That said I don't want to pay extra money for the beta access through the founder's pack, but I want the majority of the other things. Is it at all possible that they will be selling the renegade, panther, and mount, etc. outside of that pack specifically?
This discussion has been closed.