test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Renaming/Name Reserving an option?

morderockmorderock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
So we all know that only 5 classes or so are launching when Neverwinter goes live, but I know a lot of people, like myself, probably want to recreate their old, favorite characters from campaigns they have played, or bring new characters to life.

So that means the class and name of the character is kind of important!

So what if I make a fighter, and name him Ted Killington the Bold, silly example, but what if I wanted to make Ted a Ranger once it becomes available, like. Will I have to delete the current ted, or will we be able to namechange, or something?

Basically, I just want to make sure I can reserve the name I want for the classes I want when the come out, later on! Has anything lik this already been discussed? o:
Post edited by morderock on

Comments

• Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Name reservation is not necessary as names are not unique in Neverwinter. There can be a million "Ted Killington the Bold" characters, all differentiated by their Perfect World @handle, often referred to as your display name.

So, if there are a million Ted Killington the Bolds, each one could be referred to as Ted Killington the Bold@<handle>.

In short, there is never any need to worry about a name being taken!

Edit: As for name changing, I do not know whether this will be available or not. If it is, expect it to cost ZEN.
  • Options
    klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes but you will only be able to make one Ted Killington@morderock, so you will have to juggle your names around if you want to do a new class.
    But renaming characters will be easy.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Indeed that's one of the better solutions I've found to the whole naming problem in games. In too many (older) games, if you wanted to be called Bob Killington and someone else already had that name, your only option was to create the character on another server (back when they still used different servers)... as noted, of course, YOU can only have ~one~ character named "Bob Killington"... but you could always make "Bob Killingston" or "Robert Killington"... or "Bob Killington The Ranger" or some variation...

Name change might be possible but yah, it'd likely cost (and I cannot imagine paying that cost --- I'd sooner delete a character or suffer some slight variation in the name).
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Renaming is an option in both CO and STO, so I assume you'll be able to do it in NW as well. If memory serves, it's 400 Zen per rename.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Rename tokens are currently 350 ZEN in CO. That's $3.50 USD.
  • Options
    riko007riko007 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    Name reservation is not necessary as names are not unique in Neverwinter. There can be a million "Ted Killington the Bold" characters, all differentiated by their Perfect World @handle, often referred to as your display name.

So, if there are a million Ted Killington the Bolds, each one could be referred to as Ted Killington the Bold@<handle>.

In short, there is never any need to worry about a name being taken!

Edit: As for name changing, I do not know whether this will be available or not. If it is, expect it to cost ZEN.

So if I was to keep this PW account my characters would be Random Name@riko007?
  • Options
    thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    riko007 wrote: »
    So if I was to keep this PW account my characters would be Random Name@riko007?

Yes, it would be, but the '@riko007' would/could be hidden (invisible to others.)
  • Options
    kalvorakkalvorak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    Not necessarily no, your handle might not match your forum name. I wondered the same thing and have confirmed via support that mine is different to my forum name. I seem to recall it was different on the launcher too.
  • Options
    vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    thrynsyst wrote: »
    Yes, it would be, but the '@riko007' would/could be hidden (invisible to others.)

It is not hidden to others, it is just not obvious from chat by default. You can change a setting and all names will display the @handle. or you can just hover or click on a name to see more info about that character and it will include the player's @handle.

Also, your forum name is different from your @handle, both of which are different from your actual login.

Other little goodies are that you can send items though the mail to an @handle and that mail will be visible to the player from all their characters. You can also send stuff to yourself easily in this way. And when you friend someone, you friend their @handle which means you will be able to communicate with them no matter which character they are on. And this actually extends to all 3 of Cryptic's games. You will be able to see if your friends are playing STO or CO, what character they are on and you will still be able to chat with them. You can also setup and use global chat channels that span all three games with usage based on players rather than characters.

All die, so die well.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As confirmed before, @handles make taking the name in an MMO just like in real life.

So there can be many Bob running around. @handle would be used as identifier which for most is the forum name - like @gillrmn is mine.
    Also, your forum name is different from your @handle, both of which are different from your actual login.
    Not really.

Only people with discrepancy in NW's @handle and forum name are those who had cryptic accounts before they merged the forums - and those people who actually merged them. For them it is the old @handle which they had before.

So basically, for most new users the @handle is same as forum name. (and if they have different they should already know that it is the old @handle which was preserved due to linking of old cryptic account, so I need not inform them.)