test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is PvP Bad for MMORPGs? (redux)

Comments

• zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elve wrote: »
    Foundry content is automatically adjusted according to your level...

Also if leveling is unimportant why would you rather have less ways to do it than more? It doesn't really affect you in any way.

You are right, it doesn't really matter. Like in GW2, I was still finishing maps for level 30-40 when I turned 80. I have only seen the few spots of maps beyond 60 where the story takes you. Thanks to level scaling you can do all those maps anyway :)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Andy said it best on my show. He said the trick to designing an mmo is "not to do too much". I feel pvp is that "too much." D&D was never designed to be a player vs player experience.

Take it from the master himself, Gary Gygax. "There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you're involved in, whether it's a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agenst or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things."

There is no faster way to turn off the D&D old timers en masse than to introduce PvP. Not all of course (such as old timers like me who took a chance and have already made the decision to play despite my distaste for certain aspects of the game) - just the great majority.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As long as it doesn't effect PvE I don't care. I hate to see a class get nerfed cuz of pvp and it effects pve... thats just wrong.
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah they should have just forgot about pvp in this game and concentrated on pve. classes are just going to be nerfed into the ground due to pvp whiners and it's going to affect the pve experience. if people want to pvp, they should go to gw2.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Keep in mind that all the time, money and resources spent balancing and tweaking PVP is time, money and resources that could be spent improving the PvE game, not even counting the amount of stuff that gets broken in PvE by trying to balance for PvP.

I would love to see an MMO advertise itself as focused on an enduring PvE experience, and dumping PvP altogether. I think a vast majority of MMO players would be thrilled to see that, being able to finally dump themselves of the anchor that is PvP, a thing most reviled (whether deserved or not) as ruining many MMO experiences.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • wesleyvalkwesleyvalk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I utterly HATE PVP, never did it and never will do, it really pushes the release date for the normal game out of order, often games get delayed and changed due to PVP.

I really wish they would ignore Pvp in this game and all those PVP people should play games that already have it. Neverwinter and pvp is just strange and silly.

And o lord if that pvp is gonna affect Pve, then it really, really sucks.
  • elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited March 2013
    Can somebody explain why Neverwinter is not good for PvP? I can give reasons why it is good - combat is action and skill based combat with varied classes, which makes PvP stimulate both tactical and quick thinking, reflexes and diversity which lacks from most MMO PvP.
  • trikirantrikiran Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I do not aggree that pvp is bad... But I also did some pro gaming for awhile so I am very one sided on it. What I will say is I think server pvp is bad. (server being split and pvping agaist themselves.) I think it's terrible for the content, the population and the overall server in general, What I do like is the Realm vs Realm. I think that is bloody brilliant.

In server vs server everyone on a server is on the same team and can work well together. I do like the gw2 style rvr and think it offers some of the best challenge and best pvp I've seen in awhile. So pvp just needs to be handled with a new goal in mind. Also pvpvp (three factions) is on the rise again.
    edited March 2013
    trikiran wrote: »
    pvp just needs to be handled with a new goal in mind. Also pvpvp (three factions) is on the rise again.

No, it needs not to take up any more valuable/premium dev time. It's taken long enough, and it's time to free them up to create what the largest majority wants: more PvE content, more classes, better character customization (stats/feats/skills), and other game essentials/features.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    liamtodd wrote: »
    PVP balancing doesnt change PVE.

WoW would like a word with you.

My Opinion:

PVP in a D&D setting does not feel right because D&D is not designed for it. I will most likely not participate in any PVP in NWO because of this.

NWO is also not designed for PVP (AFAICT) and why they are trying to fit that square peg in this round hole is beyond me. It will most likely bring about a ton of threads about game mechanics that work well in PVE making PVP "unfair". I believe this is the biggest fear of the players who enjoy the PVE of this game type, which is what the whole system is based on.

I really wished RPGs would stop trying to force both aspects of the game, I know they do it to bring in the most players but most of the time it ends up alienating one or the others POV. People do not join CoD games to RP and I feel that people should not join RPGs to PVP.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited March 2013
    PvE content is pretty much self-generating and unlimited with the foundry. PvP usually takes up a lot of testing time to balance but it is kinda easy on the implementation side. There should be arenas developed for it but that is pretty much it.

P.S. Cryptic added PvP because there was major outcry when they said there won't be any so that is it as far as people not wanting it...
    edited March 2013
    Can somebody explain why Neverwinter is not good for PvP? I can give reasons why it is good - combat is action and skill based combat with varied classes, which makes PvP stimulate both tactical and quick thinking, reflexes and diversity which lacks from most MMO PvP.

Good question. I've listed mines. Other reasons? Game balance and Heywannapvpcausemybladeisbiggestandyoursisthegimp speak for two. I can go on...

However, this is not who is right and who is wrong. I totally respect your opinion for why you like PvP, for this is all about personal taste. My argument is based on the fact that many many many more will play this game for the PvE play than for its PvP. Id rather see the dev time spent where the community will most appreciate, and where the game developer will best profit.

• zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Another negative aspect of PvP is customization. I know for a fact in Warhammer they created the class/race system in a way that you could identify from far away what type of race/class is coming after you with very distinct features.

A game should be designed for it and not make a PvQ (Player versus Quest) into a PvP game.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "Bad" being a relative term, I can lend some insight (from being a developer) on the matter.

Anecdotally, CoH was one of the few games designed without PvP in mind, and introducing that into the mix (just for CoH, prior to the CoV release) required a heckuva lot of dev time. There was no decline in numbers for lack of PvP. PvP was primarily added to CoH to support villains, a feature that the devs always wanted to do, which would generate content for CoH players dynamically and vice-versa (sadly, this didn't come to its full fruition).

This question is a trick question, since it's a matter of perspective. Some people love PvP, some people hate PvP, and a few do a little but mainly PvE, and millions of shades of grey in between. So, whether PvP is "bad" or "good" also depends upon your personal preferences, and that is a losing question. Always.

On the development side, having run an NWN server which catered to all styles of play (including supervised PvP), as well as doing QA on a semi-popular MMO, I can quickly make these calls:

1. Making a game world able to support PvP, including all balance changes and environments, PvP "arenas" and all of the rest can consume at least 45% of your development time. Easily. And you ALWAYs miss some combination of powers which give an advantage when the number-crunchers get to it, or is overwhelmingly powerful, because you didn't think that it would be done, or you never imagined it being used that way.

2. Whenever you develop with a team, that team is developing for both PvP and PvE content. You can't have a "PvP" and "PvE" team. There is too much that the same person needs to touch in order to support this model. It could be done, with a small and tight team, but bigger teams, not so much. A PvE programmer may adjust an ability for a GWF, only to have that change modified and go untested by another PvP programmer. The amount of coordination required is prohibitive of most developmental models, and would lock up changes in endless meetings with a drastic loss of development time as you coordinated a change with 2-3 other people.

3. Ergo, being that point 1 and point 2 are present, this does <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> development for PvE content. If you have 20 hours (invented time) to program a class, only 10 of it goes into the PvE points of the class. The rest of the development time goes toward balancing said class within the game's framework for PvP. That other 10 hours could be put toward... making another class! If PvP were out of the picture.

So yes, PvP does in fact impact PvE. Whether that's "bad" or not really depends upon whether you like to PvP. I personally don't, but I can see the validity of those who do, and would uit a game without PvP present. Whether this is a "basic feature" of an MMO or not is sort of crass; just because many games did offer PvP doesn't mean a PvE-centric game wouldn't be successful, all other factors aside. It's certainly not required for a game to be good. And it certainly doesn't make a game bad without PvP. It just limits the people who will play if you remove PvP.

TLDR; It's totally a matter of your opinion (depending on whether you like PvP or not. But PvP does take dev time off of PvE content.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Can somebody explain why Neverwinter is not good for PvP?

Because the people saying so don't like it and don't participate in it, therefore getting rid of it entirely doesn't affect them personally. Plus they can use it as a scapegoat for perceived wrongs while they're at to make it sound like they're bringing about positive change rather than just enforcing their prejudices and preconceptions. So its all good.

I personally don't like PvP and I wouldn't care at all if it wasn't in the game. In many ways I would be happier if there was no PvP.
    But I will only fight PvP development if it negatively impacts my experience as a PvE player.

D&D isn't about PvP and the fact that this game is an MMO doesn't change that. Sure PvP could be implemented and even be enjoyable for those who do enjoy PvP but the simple fact this is a D&D Game means the audience targeted is not going to be the hard-core PvP fanbase.
    I think everybody can enjoy some PvP from time to time even if it is just skirmishes amongst friends but it's by no means what the large amount of the target audience is holding their breath on.

PvP Players are certainly a loud group on every MMO but it is my most humble yet statistically provable opinion that they are in the minority of players on every MMO. Maybe 20-30% of any MMO's player base only play for the PvP aspects.
    A lot of players partake in PvP but the PvP player base truly over-estimates how critical their role in the games are. As many players as there are who state games would suck without PvP there are just as many who fall on the other side saying 'the worst part about this game is PvP.'

Let me stress I am not taking sides. I don't care if PvP is added to Neverwinter as long as it doesn't negatively impact my PvE gameplay.
    I am merely stating my observations of this debate which happens on every single MMO.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Because the people saying so don't like it and don't participate in it, therefore getting rid of it entirely doesn't affect them personally. Plus they can use it as a scapegoat for perceived wrongs while they're at to make it sound like they're bringing about positive change rather than just enforcing their prejudices and preconceptions. So its all good.

I like PvP and participated in it in every game i played. I said i dont think it will be good in NW because i have a feeling it will be only BG or Arena style PvP. I may be wrong but its what i'm expecting.
  • viaxusviaxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    Will not play the game without any form of pvp. Pure PVE games are boring, and its nice to fight against others once in awhile...in my opinion. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Blizzard Developers themselves say Arenas were the worst idea they ever had. They have to spend more time balancing classes than actually making content.

As long as NW keeps its Arenas above 5 players or more, I think PvP in Neverwinter will be fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    D&D isn't about PvP and the fact that this game is an MMO doesn't change that.

I disagree. The fact that this is an MMO changes that entirely, because it just isn't the same platform and uses the Cryptic Engine instead of actual D&D system/rules. Its even made specifically to be an "action MMO" to appeal to a broader, non-D&D audience, so the target audience is being ignored regardless and the focus is being placed on that which draws PvP'ers to an FPS style platform--action.

Getting rid of PvP isn't going to change that. Not to mention the fact the D&D not being about PvP didn't stop people from making it about that or DMs from pinning PCs against NPCs with identical stats to PCs (which is essentially PvP, and the way that encounters with NPCs from PC races/classes are handled).

Additionally, the fact that this is an online game rather than a table top campaign ran by an active DM brings additional challenges, since the story telling and RP changes from a player/DM dynamic to something that players have to do for themselves. This means that recurring villains and antagonists you frequently interact with (assuming you RP) have to be played by other players rather than just be an NPC an active DM brings into play when necessary. And PvP mechanics provide the means to resolve any physical conflict that may result from those interactions.

Granted, the Foundry may provide ways to introduce villains into play without an active DM, but that would just be a static NPC. Any sort of RP interaction still requires an actual character, and PvP mechanics allow this to happen organicallyif the RP desolves into physical conflict it can be handled right there and then through dueling rather than moving to a Foundry module (assuming such as module is even ready to begin with) to resolve it there.
    kimonagi wrote: »
    I like PvP and participated in it in every game i played. I said i dont think it will be good in NW because i have a feeling it will be only BG or Arena style PvP. I may be wrong but its what i'm expecting.

lol, I appologize for the blanket statement in that case. I'm not big on PvP but I support different playstyles and I'd also like a dueling option for RP/PvP (I used to be RP/PvP back in my NWN1 days, though I'm mostly PvE casual these days). My prefered forms of PvP are open world PvP and also GW2-style WvWvW with capturing objectives and such, but don't participate in PvP very much because most games don't include PvP like that (or don't include anti-ganking measures in open world PvP). I also don't like Arena-style PvP much because it feels shoehorned--kinda like "I heard you like PvP, so here's your little kid's playard so you can do your thing away from the rest of us".
    lanessar13, I beg to disagree. When developing new content(not new features but content) for a game the longest part of it is developing the art assets. Balancing stuff is always there as a task, most of the time it involves testing and tweaking according to feedback and then submitting for retest. Testing the PvP would certainly consume 45% of the tester's time but it would not be in conflict when it comes to developing new assets for the game.
  • desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    I've never been a fan of pvp in my rpg....
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lanessar13, I beg to disagree. When developing new content(not new features but content) for a game the longest part of it is developing the art assets. Balancing stuff is always there as a task, most of the time it involves testing and tweaking according to feedback and then submitting for retest. Testing the PvP would certainly consume 45% of the tester's time but it would not be in conflict when it comes to developing new assets for the game.

Apologies. I meant content in the sense of the coding aspect. Art is art, and doesn't change between PvE and PvP (save to make a new zone, perhaps). Art assets are always a "shared time" cost - you pay that no matter what content you are making, be it PvE or PvP.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I disagree. The fact that this is an MMO changes that entirely, because it just isn't the same platform and uses the Cryptic Engine instead of actual D&D system/rules. Its even made specifically to be an "action MMO" to appeal to a broader, non-D&D audience, so the target audience is being ignored regardless and the focus is being placed on that which draws PvP'ers to an FPS style platform--action.

I was a bit too vague in that claim.
    It was more a reference that the end game of Neverwinter is not going to be purely PvP like some other MMOs simply because the target audience, D&D players, are not huge into PvP, as ar as D&D is concerned. Certainly it can be implemented but the mere fact the game is based on D&D dictates that the bulk of the player base care about other aspects more than PvP.

Sure there will be MMO players who join the crowd and will tip the scales slightly but by in large the Target Audience are not looking to Neverwinter to bring them a quality PvP Experience. The MMO brings in the incentive to appease the loud minority and the MMO community but it's not going to be the primary focal point for the pure fact PvP is quite arguably the lowest on D&D Player Expectations.
  • noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that all the time, money and resources spent balancing and tweaking PVP is time, money and resources that could be spent improving the PvE game, not even counting the amount of stuff that gets broken in PvE by trying to balance for PvP.

I would love to see an MMO advertise itself as focused on an enduring PvE experience, and dumping PvP altogether. I think a vast majority of MMO players would be thrilled to see that, being able to finally dump themselves of the anchor that is PvP, a thing most reviled (whether deserved or not) as ruining many MMO experiences.
    Well said. Arenas (IE: WoW) were a terrible idea, though large-group pvp should be fine. Larger groups don't need to be painstakingly balanced the way 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 fights do: They don't need to make sure a Healer can equal a Warrior in a fight. As long as Cryptic keeps Neverwinter's pvp to groups of 5 or more, we should be fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't mind PvP in a game designed for PvP. PvP forced into a game designed for PvE never works out well.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • hargareshhargaresh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im pro PVP, and most games that do not provide it well get boring quick. Ill play the PVE and enjoy it but if there is nothing to keep me entertained when Im done with story then Im done with the game.

If PVP has no real focus, then I wont support it.

Arena pvp is useless.

But that is all ok, Pathfinder Online will be out in a couple years.

https://goblinworks.com/blog/
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the master plan is having BG and Arena style PvP then i would rather have them working on their anemic class system to be honest.
  • tientiensusertientiensuser Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I dont really care for it unless its normalized pvp like in Dragon's Nest. Otherwise it becomes another grind, microtransaction experience. Doing that in PVE isnt so bad since its co-op rather than competitive play. But player vs player requires different formalities.
  • rukhasrukhas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I will kill you all, in game of course.
This discussion has been closed.