test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halfling GWF

ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
How are you guys going to accomplish this? Halflings can't use 2h weapons... Are you guys going to make new loot tables for GWF Halfling? And is this why they've been scratched from launch for Half-orcs. I'm assuming creating all new weapons just for halflings would be a little time consuming, unless the guardian fighter stats on their 1h weapons are sufficient for a gwf?

Edit Post:I'm not saying they've officially been scratched either.
Post edited by ysil6969 on

Comments

• thelickingtoadthelickingtoad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    Most likely their two-handed weapons would be scaled down due to their size to be equivalent to a Medium-size versatile weapon. In other words, they use two-handed weapons, but they're smaller in appearance.

It's not a huge deal, really.
  • granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The weapons don't have sizes currently. And i'm not expecting that feature to be added. My Halfling Guardian hits just as hard as a Human.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In the PHB certain weapons are 2 handed and certain ones aren't. It's not vague... a screw it. I guess the PHB's pretty much gone out the window anyways. We'll just do wow where all of a sudden the greatswords are made in a child size and yet manage to do just as much damage.
  • granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And when you see the racial abilities and layout for Halfling.... Well, let's just say you will see a plethora of them if they remain as they are currently implemented ;)
    edited February 2013
    Now I'm intrigued :D
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    And when you see the racial abilities and layout for Halfling.... Well, let's just say you will see a plethora of them if they remain as they are currently implemented ;)

I'm naturally partial to playing a halfling anyway, but yes, in the Beta it was one of the best choices out there for a rogue at least, and probably for any fighter types as well.

I believe (if I remember right) that you can have both Dex and Con as bonus stats as a Halfling. Dex is in many ways superior to STR (especially for rogues) and Con is freaking great for everyone but especially great for fighter types (since as a primary it seems to also give DR as well).

The racial bonuses where also great on the halfling.

I can understand why them may hold back on letting the halfling be a playable race to scale some stuff back because of that...which saddens me as I love playing halflings.

As far as two handed weapons...thats just silly rule to me and always has been. Just make smaller versions (and still not as small as a longsword vs a normal greatsword..but just a slightly smaller greatsword) for halflings. Halflings are not THAT much smaller then dwarves...who sometimes even get a strength BOOST and....have no problems using full sized weapons.

I love me barbarian halflings. I love rogue like halflings. I love mage like halflings, I super love my monk halflings. I don't only play halflings, but when I do, I play them well.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    I'm naturally partial to playing a halfling anyway, but yes, in the Beta it was one of the best choices out there for a rogue at least, and probably for any fighter types as well.

I believe (if I remember right) that you can have both Dex and Con as bonus stats as a Halfling. Dex is in many ways superior to STR (especially for rogues) and Con is freaking great for everyone but especially great for fighter types (since as a primary it seems to also give DR as well).

I can understand why them may hold back on letting the halfling be a playable race to scale some stuff back because of that...which saddens me as I love playing halflings.

As far as two handed weapons...thats just silly rule to me and always has been. Just make smaller versions (and still not as small as a longsword vs a normal greatsword..but just a slightly smaller greatsword) for halflings. Halflings are not THAT much smaller then dwarves...who sometimes even get a strength BOOST and....have no problems using full sized weapons.

I love me barbarian halflings. I love rogue like halflings. I love mage like halflings, I super love my monk halflings. I don't only play halflings, but when I do, I play them well.

Not sure what you mean by saying you understand why they are holding back on them. I really dont care about halflings but some people do. I didnt see anything in beta that could justify taking them out, they were juste there and nobody said anything about them being out of place or overpowered in any way.
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »

/nerd on

Halflings are weaker than dwarfs generally. They're stockier and have a better center of balance so they can swing those big weapons around. Speaking of which I hope they don't scale down the weapons to size for dwarfs... leave them human sized. Halflings can only wield versatile weapons (longswords and the like) with two hands. That's their great weapons for them. So a great sword, that's the size of a long sword... well, that would just be a longsword... or a ******* sword if it's a bit bigger.

That's just me being picky though. I like picturing my halfling swinging a regular longsword with the same vigor and intensity a full sized person swings a greatsword.

Edit: Although you would think there'd be a feat that cancels that rule if your strengths high enough. A burly halfling should be able to lift that greatsword no?
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    /nerd on

Halflings are weaker than dwarfs generally. They're stockier and have a better center of balance so they can swing those big weapons around. Speaking of which I hope they don't scale down the weapons to size for dwarfs... leave them human sized. Halflings can only wield versatile weapons (longswords and the like) with two hands. That's their great weapons for them. So a great sword, that's the size of a long sword... well, that would just be a longsword... or a ******* sword if it's a bit bigger.

That's just me being picky though. I like picturing my halfling swinging a regular longsword with the same vigor and intensity a full sized person swings a greatsword.

Yeah, I know the rules (in general) for halflings (not really up on 4th edition rules so much though), but I always thought there were a bit silly. I know the diff between a dwarf and halfling...and can see why dwarves may be able to wield larger weapons...but still a pumped up barbarian halfling that is all muscle...is going to be bulky as well...and the size difference shouldn't be THAT big. I think maybe a Basdard sword might make sense as a two handed wepon, but the size of the weapon itself isn't as important as the strength behind the swing.

DDO didn't give any restriction on what weapons halflings could use, just a str penalty and weight penalty. It's a bit unrealistic to have a halfling use a great axe for instance...which might be twice as long as the haflling is tall....but it sure is alot of fun!!

I love the sound the barbarian halflings make when they rage in that game so much lol.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    /nerd on

Edit: Although you would think there'd be a feat that cancels that rule if your strengths high enough. A burly halfling should be able to lift that greatsword no?

Should they be able to swing a 6 feet long heavy blade? Who knows, its fantasy RPG. It looks ridiculous to me but thats just me. In some editions they could use a longsword two handed and increase the die roll damage but they couldnt use a greatsword (two handed sword)
    edited February 2013
    Yeah in 4e everyone can take a versatile weapon and use it with two hands for a bonus. Except halflings. Poor guys. They don't get the bonus
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Would be neat to see them dragging their weapon behind them due to it being too big. The weapon has to be bigger than the height of the halfling or else its not a Great Weapon.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Finally a Halfling love thread!

Can't wait to make my halfling rogue and level him to 60 when we go live (or open beta w/e)

Get ready to meet Crazy Ray.

As for the topic: It's obvious the rulebook has been set aside for most of this game, no need to try and force it with this issue. It is what it is, go with it and enjoy your Halfling Greatsword.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is it just me or does anyone else not think the massive two-handed swords in the game are laughably huge, I mean for any race, let alone a Hobbit? Like truly comedic. Like some game designer was compensating for something, we dare not mention in public?

Just me? Okay, fine. :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else not think the massive two-handed swords in the game are laughably huge, I mean for any race, let alone a Hobbit? Like truly comedic. Like some game designer was compensating for something, we dare not mention in public?

Just me? Okay, fine. :)

Lol It's perfectly normal for people to be able to swing things as big as themselves... O.o.
  • thelickingtoadthelickingtoad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    No. It's not just you. I've noticed it, too. Some of the long swords I've seen are the size of a greatsword, nevermind the size of the holy symbol, which, in the P&P game, would be around the cleric's neck or affixed to his clothing in some way. It's just a style for the game. Tiny holy symbols would be boring--you'd never see the differences between the old one and the new one you just got.

It's just an exaggerated style, and it's not unwelcome. I don't mind it. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that we're not looking at Tera-style weapons here, and that they're a bit more in the realm of believability.

Still, I have to wonder if the exaggerated weapon size is a way to attract the Asian market, which seems to LOVE oversized weapons. This is PWE, after all.
  • sundraconsundracon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its an action mmo, halflings are going to use the same weapons as the other races. The same reason you won't move slower just because your a dwarf or wearing heavy armor.
    [SIGPIC]Gayme 0n[/SIGPIC]
    Rhun, Halfing Fighter of the Greater Weapons
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In NWN you could use a Dwarven Axe in one hand as a human, while it was two-handed for the dwarf. Halflings are much stronger and taller than dwarfs, so they should be able to use regular great weapons :P
  • trikirantrikiran Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Anyone remember in NWN1 where halfings could dual weild ******* swords? The sword was bigger then they were. lol...
  • kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    Halflings are much stronger and taller than dwarfs, so they should be able to use regular great weapons :P
    Oh dear. According to the Player's Handbook:
    Average Dwarf is 4'3" - 4'9" and weighs 160-220 lbs. They are also broad and bulky for their size.
    Average Halfling is 3'10" - 4'2" and weighs 75-85 lbs. They are proportioned the same way as Humans are.
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No. It's not just you. I've noticed it, too. Some of the long swords I've seen are the size of a greatsword, nevermind the size of the holy symbol, which, in the P&P game, would be around the cleric's neck or affixed to his clothing in some way. It's just a style for the game. Tiny holy symbols would be boring--you'd never see the differences between the old one and the new one you just got.

It's just an exaggerated style, and it's not unwelcome. I don't mind it. I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that we're not looking at Tera-style weapons here, and that they're a bit more in the realm of believability.

Still, I have to wonder if the exaggerated weapon size is a way to attract the Asian market, which seems to LOVE oversized weapons. This is PWE, after all.
    And that hand would be filled with a weapon and shield which you cannot do in Neverwinter as Devoted Cleric so runnign around with a symbol around your neck would be okay until tthe player noticed he/she had nothing in their hands. Errr, yeah, I went there.
    2.jpg
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love how tiny bits of reality always seem to intergect themselves in fantasy roleplaying games.

Rule #0 at my table always was: If your rules arguement starts with, "It doesn't seem realistic that..." then it's automatically invalidated.

So yes, let's have halflings run around swinging massive weapons with no disadvantage. That's a fantasy and it's a fantasy game. The two are perfectly compatable.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • chthonicmythoschthonicmythos Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    Oh dear. According to the Player's Handbook:
    Average Dwarf is 4'3" - 4'9" and weighs 160-220 lbs. They are also broad and bulky for their size.
    Average Halfling is 3'10" - 4'2" and weighs 75-85 lbs. They are proportioned the same way as Humans are.

Faaaairly certain that was sarcastic. Weapons scale to fit the model that's wielding them, so I bet halflings swords will be shorter than humans, but will hit the same. THOUGH range could be a problem! and for a GWF that is a huge issue.
  • firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    I love how tiny bits of reality always seem to intergect themselves in fantasy roleplaying games.

Rule #0 at my table always was: If your rules arguement starts with, "It doesn't seem realistic that..." then it's automatically invalidated.

So yes, let's have halflings run around swinging massive weapons with no disadvantage. That's a fantasy and it's a fantasy game. The two are perfectly compatable.

Exactly. The number of things we already have to hand-wave and ignore in order to suspend disbelief and go along for the fantasy ride is huge. Why nitpick on certain things due to "realism"?
    edited February 2013
    Even fantasy settings need to have some sense into them. Unless it's explicitly stated that there's some magic involved (as in enchanted items, or spells involved), real-life mechanics and physics still apply.

Yes, we can't apply "It's not realistic" to everything. But at the same time, we can't just say "It's fantasy" to everything. Because if we do the latter, then literally anything can happen, and the world would go from fantasy, to just plain silly (bordering insane).
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Clearly what we need is a gnome berserker. Or a battalion of them, really.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What's wrong with fantasy worlds where anything can happen? That's the foundation of fantasy. I mean, it's almost the very definition of it.

Rules are merely a construct of the game we're playing, with the expectation that certain things will work in certain ways so that everyone can have a good time.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited February 2013
    Suspension of reality isn't really that hard here, since there could be "greatswords" created for halflings as well. They might not be quite as big and heavy, but in a fantasy world they could easily do as much damage. In an action game they might not have the same range....but that isn't really worth programming and certainly halflings dont' get any bonuses that would make up for such a limitation.

The weapons are already rediculously large (have you seen the two handed swords?)...but also seem to scale to the size of the player.....so perhaps they have different models of each weapon based on the race that is wielding it (or the size of the race at least).

Whatever, all that really matters is that a barbarian halflings should be able to fight in much the same matter as a barbarian dwarf would. The dwarf may be more dense then the halfling, and naturally more bulky, but working out would add alot of mass to both the dwarf and halflings (probably due to the density, naturally bulky state of a dwarf you would see less increase in mass then from a halfling.

Think of a halfling as a small human. You could have him look like a tiny eerkle, or bulk up into a Arnold Swartzenager. The dwarf naturally is more bulky to start, but still ends up much like Arnold. The halfling has a bigger range, but can still end up almost as bulky as the dwarf.

In 4 ed in fact, halflings can even get a racial con boost. The dwarf gets a strength boost, but the difference between the base max str of a dwarf and halfling are quite small. The base con scores are identically. Bulkiness should be logically determined by strength and con...so the difference between them is minimal. In fact, a halfling should be better at using larger weapons then an elf if you really think about it.

One last point:

Halflings are as strong as humans, elves, gnomes etc...but they are smaller. Ants are smaller and can carry many times their weight as well. In theory, since halflings can have the same strength as larger creatures, they are proportionally stronger then them. While leverage etc still would be a factor (and the hilt would need to be small enough for the halflings hands to reach around it), much like an ant the halfling could carry and even wield objects that are larger then them.

So a halfling wielding a greatsword as large as a human...would make sense. A halfling being able to pick up a 200 pound human and spin him around (even though he's only 120 pounds) also could make sense.
    edited February 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    What's wrong with fantasy worlds where anything can happen? That's the foundation of fantasy. I mean, it's almost the very definition of it.

Being fantasy doesn't mean literally anything can happen. As I've said, if provided with some trivial explanation, like "it's a magic sword" then that's fine. But if part of "anything can happen" is a ten headed dragon with a giant chicken's body appearing out nowhere and gobbles up the big bad undead army . . . well that doesn't just make any sense.

When I said rules, I didn't mean gaming rules but more like laws (as in laws of physics). There are some things that can't happen for no apparent reason.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not fronting a realism argument here. The fantasy world they're using, has their own definitive conditions for this race. It's DnD's need for a little realism that I'm citing. If this was Cryptic Fantasy Online, and their halflings were waving around semi trucks I wouldn't care. Not that I care that much anyways, it'd just help my ocd a lot of this game was closer to the PHB... >,> I'm just going to be muttering to myself about how I shouldn't be allowed to wield this greatsword as I slaughter everything :)