test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drow elf not available for at least 60 days after release, wizard future unsure

adamchattawayadamchattaway Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I thought this would be a full special new race but its just skins and a bio? i don't understand?
Post edited by adamchattaway on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It was carefully worded to avoid confusion but sadly has caused much confusion in it's own right.

They chose to say that it was it's own race in order to make sure players understood they weren't making players pay for the Drow Race but sadly in doing so it raised a whole world of questions.
    Because of this confusion we really can't answer much as the details are still confusing even to the moderators on whether it will be a selectable race or a background or...what...

But in any case you're not getting anything other than what was advertised.
    A drow with a unique racial. A costume. A unique Tattoo.

The entire race/background issue is really not important, they always only promised a Drow with a costume, tattoo and a single unique racial ability. They never said the race would have any other unique traits, powers, abilities or other differences from the standard drow race.
  • adamchattawayadamchattaway Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It was carefully worded to avoid confusion but sadly has caused much confusion in it's own right.

They chose to say that it was it's own race in order to make sure players understood they weren't making players pay for the Drow Race but sadly in doing so it raised a whole world of questions.
    Because of this confusion we really can't answer much as the details are still confusing even to the moderators on whether it will be a selectable race or a background or...what...

But in any case you're not getting anything other than what was advertised.
    A drow with a unique racial. A costume. A unique Tattoo.

The entire race/background issue is really not important, they always only promised a Drow with a costume, tattoo and a single unique racial ability. They never said the race would have any other unique traits, powers, abilities or other differences from the standard drow race.

Im new to DD and NW but drow look purple to me? and these drow we get look normal white ish skin colour, can drow be multiple colours or is this special drow hero's get the white looking one with blond hair and blue eyes.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    That's not a Drow.

Drow have Black Skin, Red Eyes and White Hair....
    Typically. The tones can vary just as they do in humans. Some will be more brown, some will be more purple, but they are typically considered "Obsidian Black." Honestly most of the 'purple' and 'blue' you see stems from the fact it is very hard to use pure black and not look...bad...proof.
    Eyes are typically red but can range to grey and purple. Hair can be yellowish but this is normally a sign of age.

Drow Wizard
    Drow Priestess with Draegloth (half demon, half drow)
    And Then of Course there are all of the Drizzt Do'Urdens, 1, 2, and 3

Hope this explains a bit.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of D&D, however standard elves are the light skinned elves with blond hair and blue eyes. Drow are also known as Dark Elves...and yes the term was coined long before a certain thief MMO company misused it.
  • noctournous93noctournous93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 78
    edited February 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297621&viewfull=1#post297621

As Perfect World is being a bit sneaky about this, i wanted to post it here for anyone to see.
    It seems that the founder's pack users will not only get a race skin but also, the drow race will be locked for the rest of us.
    I hope that at least, we will be able to buy the drow race for ZEN, aka for 5-10 euros.

Another thing to note is that as the FAQ states, the control wizard's future is unsure as it is not yet officially stated that he will be there on launch.

On the contrary, the half orc race will be there at launch.

Discuss
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not Found

The requested URL /sho...r-Extended-FAQ was not found on this server.
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Not Found

The requested URL /sho...r-Extended-FAQ was not found on this server.

fixed it, it should be k now
  • viaxusviaxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    As has already been said on the ZZ guild website, this is sad news for those not buying the founders pack. Hopefully they will make it possible to buy an unlock for the drow race via the store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    As has already been said on the ZZ guild website, this is sad news for those not buying the founders pack. Hopefully they will make it possible to buy an unlock for the drow race via the store.

Well i did make a support ticket and asked them, as i am not sure if the guardian is ALSO a founder title.
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/guardian As it says here, become a founder :)
    Lets hope they will answer soon.

Edit: You can! Beta Weekend access is immediately guaranteed if you pick up a Hero of the North or Guardian Founder's Pack. Grab one today and you'll be able to play Neverwinter with select beta testers before it is released to the public!

Taken from the extended FAQ, both are founders titles. I am guessing that both will have the drow available but the hero will have the drow renegade aswell
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    "The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that the Drow will only be available for Founder's Pack purchasers for at least 60 days after launch."

This makes little to no sense as Halfling was a playable race in the first closed beta weekend.

As far as the Control Wizard is concerned, its future is not uncertain as far as I'm aware, it just hasn't officially been announced as a release class(although they've said repeatedly they'll have 5 classes at release.)
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It seems that the founder's pack users will not only get a race skin but also, the drow race will be locked for the rest of us.
    *snip*

Another thing to note is that as the FAQ states, the control wizard's future is unsure as it is not yet officially stated that he will be there on launch.

*utters a long string of profanities, flips a table and ends up having a fit of seizures on the floor before standing up nonchalantly like nothing happened and taking a deep calming breath*

...I'll start playing 60 days after launch.

EDIT/PS: HOW DO YOU EVEN LAUNCH A "D&D" GAME WITHOUT F@#*ING WIZARDS?!?

*goes back to work like nothing happened*
    The Guardian pack is a Founder's pack since it contains a Founder's title. However, it does not unlock early access to Drow. Note that it says the delay for other players is "to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity". The Guardian founder's pack does not contain any Drow related exclusivity, so it is not going to grant early access to Drow. Only the Hero of the North founder's pack has anything to do with Drow.

This is all due to widespread confusion over the fact that in some of their advertising for the Hero of the North pack they used the phrase "a unique playable race" instead of "racial background" or "origin". So, in order to make that advertisement honest they had to delay Drow for everyone who did not purchase the Hero of the North pack. If they also give it to Guardians, then they would still be invalidating their Hero of the North product description and opening themselves up to player scorn and potential legal action on the grounds of perceived false advertising.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Plus it unlocks the Half-Orc as a playable race earlier. :)
    edited February 2013
    *snip*

This is all due to widespread confusion over the fact that in some of their advertising for the Hero of the North pack they used the phrase "a unique playable race" instead of "racial background" or "origin". So, in order to make that advertisement honest they had to delay Drow for everyone who did not purchase the Hero of the North pack. If they also give it to Guardians, then they would still be invalidating their Hero of the North product description and opening themselves up to player scorn and potential legal action on the grounds of perceived false advertising.

Classic Cryptic boneheaded marketing move. Not the first time they've seriously botched their advertisement and have to pull out or change it after the fact to avoid potential legal issues due to false advertisement. You'd think they'd hired a proper publicist by now.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I confused so drow is not a playable race at launch... I just told my guildies in EQ2 it was, well that ones that like dark elves.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    surely it would have been better just to make Menzoberranzan renegade a different race, it has different racials already, just use the same stat modifier but use a different one for the main unchangable one put the others that you can select, and hey its a new race:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It doesn't have different racials though. All Drow have trance which lets them recuperate faster at campfires, both have a +2 to Dex, and Cha. The only really difference is the dark fire ability instead of it being called Darkfire it's called Faerie Fire instead in the case of the MenzoGade. Either way it's the same effect though knowing Cryptic Faerie fire will probably have a nice visual.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I applaud the decision on the Drow. This is precisely what we said we wanted, no "pay to win" (hate the phrase, but you know what I mean) and make all game content and leveling available.

So you have to have something to draw revenue and 60-days exclusive on Drow seems very fair. Especially considering you can play them for free after that. Really, if you moan about this one, you're a spoiled, mewling child that thinks the entire world owes you whatever your impish heart desires. :)

Okay sorry, that's mean, I take that back, but if we insist on living by the sword (F2P) then let us die by the sword (a very popular race is 60-days exclusive to those who love the game to actually cough up a little cash for it). This seems very fair to me, this is, after all a business, if it wasn't a business, it wouldn't exist at all, no games would. We'd be stuck playing euchre with greasy playing cards. :)

The full class list is not yet announced, let's not jump the gun on the wizard just yet!

The Half-Orc is in! Huzzah! Oh my goodness, I see I'm going to have to buy extra character slots already!
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    I confused so drow is not a playable race at launch... I just told my guildies in EQ2 it was, well that ones that like dark elves.
    Well, it is playable at launch. By me. And some others. And while I wouldn't mind non Hero Founders having access to the non Menzoberranzan Renegade drow at launch, I'm not in Cryptic/PW. And Drizzt clone haters will be relieved that the drow population at launch suffers a serious hit due to this delay for the access to regular drow.

Quite sure that your guildies that wanted to have a drow on release won't be happy for good reasons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience because it does suck.

(If I hadn't bought the Hero pack, I'd have entertained myself playing a Dark Elf like in Beta while waiting for the regular Drow to be released)
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me that Cryptic is starting to get very politician like in their wording. For example using the wording "at least and we plan" plans change and having no release date for the drow race means 60 days becomes a year becomes your paying for it.

Found this bit rather interesting form the polygon article.
    "At the moment, Velasquez said, the studio is leaning towards making its largest content updates — like additional classes to bring them closer to the 12-strong sweet spot — will be free of charge. Other aspects, like more microtransaction-based content, will be determined and priced by Cryptic's interpretations of player response."
    If your leaning toward free you must also be considering the opposite such as charging or else you would come out and say it is free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Well, it is playable at launch. By me. And some others. And while I wouldn't mind non Hero Founders having access to the non Menzoberranzan Renegade drow at launch, I'm not in Cryptic/PW. And Drizzt clone haters will be relieved that the drow population at launch suffers a serious hit due to this delay for the access to regular drow.

Quite sure that your guildies that wanted to have a drow on release won't be happy for good reasons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience because it does suck.

(If I hadn't bought the Hero pack, I'd have entertained myself playing a Dark Elf like in Beta while waiting for the regular Drow to be released)

Maybe my wife will be able to buy normal drow at launch I won't. I was planning on spending atleast 40 eash for me, wife and son. I might not be buying much for me now. My son will want companions and horses wich is fine was allowing him so much a month, wife will prolly just buy the drow and thats it now.

Only thing that bothers me is my word, me telling them. I know I saw this after founders announced that Drow will still be a free race at launch I couldn't not find it though. I did find Control wizard will be at launch by a dev in dev tracker

Edit. But in good news, got my poower supply and gcard in. So I'm back on my computer instead of wifes old one!
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why do we have two threads with the same subject by the same person?

Shouldn't they be merged or something?
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    I applaud the decision on the Drow. This is precisely what we said we wanted, no "pay to win" (hate the phrase, but you know what I mean) and make all game content and leveling available.

What are you babbling about? What about drow is P2W (not that I care about so called P2W anyway)? And (assuming that they were really stronger than other races) how does gating early access to them behind $200 help discourage P2W, rather than encourage it?
    Okay sorry, that's mean, I take that back, but if we insist on living by the sword (F2P) then let us die by the sword (a very popular race is 60-days exclusive to those who love the game to actually cough up a little cash for it).

Who says that we "insist" on F2P? That was Cryptic/PWE's decision, not ours. I didn't ask Cryptic/PWE to make the game F2P. I'm perfectly fine with P2P, or (even better) B2P+microtransactions. Sell the damn race to me if you want. Its not a real "standard" race anyways (neither are half-orcs, exactly for that matter), but I wont pay $200 for it and $200 is not "a little cash". Its a ridiculous sum for some tatts and a different FX for a single racial ability.
    This seems very fair to me, this is, after all a business, if it wasn't a business, it wouldn't exist at all, no games would. We'd be stuck playing euchre with greasy playing cards. :)

Red herring. Whether Cryptic is a business or not is besides the point and no one is claiming that it isn't. And they're not selling access to this race anyways--they're giving it away for free after 60 days without ever charging for it, so putting a clock on how long before we're allowed to use it doesn't facilitate Cryptic's continued existence at all. If they were actually selling the race and people were crying about it you might have an argument (maaaybe). But the only thing they're charging for is the racial background they're selling for the ridiculous sum of $200, along with a bunch of other stuff I don't need in a veiled attempt to justify the inflated cost.
    What are you babbling about? What about drow is P2W (not that I care about so called P2W anyway)? And (assuming that they were really stronger than other races) how does gating early access to them behind $200 help discourage P2W, rather than encourage it?

Do you have any reading comprehension what so ever? My point is having Drow reserved for those who actually financially support the game for the first sixty days is precisely NOT pay to win.

Also, you can access the Drow for just 60, not 200, as well as the other benefits actually helping support the game brings.

Some aspects of the game, you have to pay for or the entire business isn't viable. Can your reactionary brain at least agree on that? :)

So, since nobody wants a situation where you pay for in-game advantage like better statistics or gear. Where's the harm in making one race exclusive to the people who paid 60 dollars? Both foundry packs qualify you by the way, get your facts straight, for once, please!

This move just empowered those who actually financially invested in the game to get a 60-day head start on a popular class. That's all it is. It seems very fair to me, they have to make money somehow, and those of who have invested get something that's nice, but not exclusive forever. Of all the things you're going to ask people to pay for, this is one I am totally fine with. It does not prevent those who play for free from enjoying the game, they just have to be a little bit more patient if they want to play a Drow. Is 60 days so egregious? No, of course not, really, it isn't the least bit egregious.

And I find it ironic, that a person who continually mewls over how terrible the game is, is now whining they can't play a race for sixty days?

It's indicative of that old Woody Allen joke:

Old Lady 1: The food in this retirement home is absolutely terrible!
    Old Lady 2: I know! And such small portions!

You, my friend, are the epitome of that joke. :)

Sorry dude, I respect alternate opinion, but you just seem continually angry, upset and on a vendetta about this game. You insist it's terrible and a violation of "real D&D", but rather than go play D&D on a table, you insist on coming back here and telling everyone else how much they babble, or don't understand, or refuse to see your brilliant point of view, that this game is an utter disaster.

You seem to hate it so much, yet keep coming back for more. :)

It's most amusing and sadly, fairly indicative of the obsessed gamer. Don't get me wrong I'm one too, but rewarding those who actually helped Cryptic fund the game a little, by letting them play Drow for 60 days before the free-loaders can, is really about the fairest reward you can offer.

At some point, this game needs to make money and this is a very fair way of doing it. It's just that simple. It's a perk, to those who invested in the game. A way of saying "thank you". You only have to wait 60 lousy days, if you can't afford 60 bucks. It's not the apocalypse, I assure you. :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It seems to me that Cryptic is starting to get very politician like in their wording. For example using the wording "at least and we plan" plans change and having no release date for the drow race means 60 days becomes a year becomes your paying for it.

They can't afford to make statements without qualifiers because, if for some unforeseen reason they have to make a change, people <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, moan and scream lawsuit. It is called covering your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and it is not a bad thing when it comes to useless losers filing lawsuits.
  • dragonfishdragonfish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Also, you can access the Drow for just 60, not 200, as well as the other benefits actually helping support the game brings.

Prove it. Find me a quote somewhere that a PWE/Cryptic employee confirms that the Guardian pack gives you access to the Drow at launch. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You can't. Becuase it didn't happen. I'd fork out $60 NOW if they would just answer the damn question.
    edited February 2013
    Seems pretty clear to me. Heroes of the North get the MenzoGade. Guardians get Vanilla Drow.

What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzen Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character.

What Races are available in Neverwinter?

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that the Drow will only be available for Founder's Pack purchasers for at least 60 days after launch.

Will it cost ZEN to unlock additional Races and Classes?

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Founder's Park purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!
    edited February 2013
    Do you have any reading comprehension what so ever?

I read exactly what you wrote in all its ambiguous glory. You brought up "This is precisely what we said we wanted, no "pay to win"..." on the context of them gating the drow. So naturally I brought up the question: what the hell does gating a single race have to do with P2W? But I see you're still bringing up the red herring of Cryptic being a business and needing to make money like anyone's disputing that. So I suppose bringing up irrelevant points to back up your position is a regular part of your communication.

And where does it say that you can get access to drow with the $60 pack (which still includes things I don't need as part of the price for that pack)? Only mention of them I read was in relation to the $200 pack specifically (in order to appease to the cries for exclusivity from some).*

*EDIT/PS: I didn't notice others bringing this up since I was busy with RL stuff for about 30 mins while writting this post. But I suppose I'm not the only one that needs to "get their 'facts' straight", or perhaps I was the only one in this argument that did... :rolleyes:

"Please note that the Drow will only be available for Founder's Pack purchasers for at least 60 days after launch."

Two very important parts of that statement.
    1. Does Guardian qualify as a Founder's pack? An actual employee saying yes, not you assuming it.
    2. It says "at least". This implies that it could be longer, or as Cryptic's history shows, much longer.
    edited February 2013
    Fail at reading comprehension forever. Both get the Founders title. So yes it counts.

What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchases.

The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzen Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character.
This discussion has been closed.