test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeons narration

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In DDO, dungeons had narration in certain circumstances that simulated the DM sitting at the table providing description of the setting and events. I thought it was great and charming... brought a smile to my face when I first experienced it.

Would anyone like this feature in Neverwinter? I certainly would. In addition to a general description (as you release the counterweight, the portcullis violently clatters open. You hope you won't pay a price for your fumbled sense of quiet), the devs can also name-drop some persons, places, things, etc (the slain guards reveal a symbol you've encountered before. House Xorlarrin is here).

The latter helps anchor us to the setting and therefore aids in immersion. For those of use that want to log in and go on an adventure in a different world, these kinds of setting cues are very nice.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Stormshade wrote:
    1: Will there be voiced DM flavor text like in DDO?
    I can't answer this right now.

So there is no certain information, but I suppose the narrator in the movies might be "the one" :P It certainly is a good idea :P
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I also really enjoyed the narration in DDO. I really hope they have this in Neverwinter also. Please,Please,Please....
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    nimloh wrote:
    In DDO, dungeons had narration in certain circumstances that simulated the DM sitting at the table providing description of the setting and events. I thought it was great and charming... brought a smile to my face when I first experienced it.

I couldn't agree more, Nimloh. I am also hoping that they use a similar "tool" with their story-telling.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    A big yes to Dungeons narration, i rly enjoy it in DDO and never saw it in any other MMO.

Imagine u can narrate ur own dungeon with foundry :P
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Flavor DM narration (during any encounter) is almost a must have for a D&D mmo....It is going to be a huge loss if they don't have it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I added it in my thread in Gameplay, 11th.

More ideas please!
    :D
  • Options
    xeiken1xeiken1 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see this as well, I mean this is D&D, playing without a narrator speaking from time to time would be like playing without DM. I think it helps a lot when it comes to game immersion.
  • Options
    oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Moderators no like necro magic you gonna get big womp, but agreed.
    e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
  • Options
    xeiken1xeiken1 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well was this or opening a new thread about the same topic, which would lead me to a "use the search button" so meh... :p
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    xeiken1 wrote: »
    Well was this or opening a new thread about the same topic, which would lead me to a "use the search button" so meh... :p

I agree, the rules say don't pull out a post from over a month, yet, for some subjects that still have ongoing relevance, would it not be better to resurrect an older post.

Anyways I also agree. You can add it to your own foundry quests however, in non-verbal form. You can throw in DM style text (a different color really) for certain things you do, such as zoning to a new area, engaging with an NPC, or interacting with an item that cues a dialogue popup.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    azureeternalazureeternal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think adding it in would certainly be a bonus, though not a necessity. It was charming in DDO but only the first handful of times, then it just became extraneous and meaningless.

For now, DM-specific text will suffice; in truth, I'd rather the devs work on something that truly needs to be in the game, than something like this that may only appeal to a very particular group of folks. Of course, if they want to add it in at some point, I definitely support that decision.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There's not much from DDO I'd like to see translated to NWO (in particular the sooner Eberron can go away the better), but the narration was kind of fun, I have to say.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    azureeternalazureeternal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    (in particular the sooner Eberron can go away the better)

I couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought I saw an option for non-audio open descriptions in the editor on a video somewhere. The first thing I figured was a text prompt on your screen when you hit certain markers.

If not, a simple work-around would be placing flavor text on a static item (eg floating globe) in certain areas before the party enters so they can pick up clues or become immersed.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I did like the DM narration in DDO. But I don't think we'll see it in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can have dialogue pop up as you trigger certain events. The only issue I see is that for some players it might be annoying, as they hate having a window popup in their face just to describe something. But its not going to stop me.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You can have dialogue pop up as you trigger certain events. The only issue I see is that for some players it might be annoying, as they hate having a window popup in their face just to describe something. But its not going to stop me.

I think if used discretely, it's not too annoying.

Usually I like it when I enter a new large zone, just to add a little flair. Just be careful it doesn't pop at the same time an encounter triggers, or worse pops up during movement of an actual fight, and I think most players will appreciate the flavor.

Of course why am I telling you, after you just wrote that awesome guide?
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!