test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ravenloft

jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
I am super excited about this game as I am sure you guys are. The amount of lore that can be used for content is huge. Personally I would love to see a Ravenloft expansion down the road. (Obviously way down the road.) I've always wanted to rock an mmo in that realm.
Post edited by jdk2011 on

Comments

• trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Gimme Dark Sun. If done right it could be epic. Only a trailer of it could make people go "WTF is this".
  • bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'd prefer to keep it to Forgotten Realms. Mixing of lore-verses bugs me.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since we're talking non-FR D&D stuff, I'd like a huge sandbox version of Planescape. You could play for months and never leave Sigil.

Darksun: Cannibal Halflings...Run Away!

Ravenloft: I still have nightmares about my first sessions in Ravenloft.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Btw, arent you Ravenloft guys getting World of Darkness, its better than nothing, its somekind of horror/dark/supernatural game.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    This is off-topic for Neverwinter itself, however I would just like to point out that Ravenloft, in fact any game world except for Eberron (I think) is directly connected to the Forgotten Realms. Some through Realmspace and others through portals or through Planescape. How Planescape has changed in itself however, is a complete mystery. As is the current state of Ravenloft.

The existence of Ravenloft is up for question, since it was a Demi-plane of Shadow, due to the Cataclysm the Planes have been destroyed and re-shaped, so Ravenloft may not even exist anymore or it may now exist in a different form. We won't really know for sure until they publish some 4th or D&D Next source material on Ravenloft or Planescape, which I do not see happening for a while as The Realms will now be the main core D&D World come D&D Next, no longer Mystara. Also, Planescape has been forsaken by WotC for some time now and was actually picked up by the D&D Community to keep its lore and source material going.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We won't really know for sure if Ravenloft exists till our DM writes a campaign that includes it. Then it will exist.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    tinyish wrote: »
    We won't really know for sure if Ravenloft exists till our DM writes a campaign that includes it. Then it will exist.
    haha, fair point! Anything can exist should any DM desire it. :)
    (in their own campaign of course)
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It is my opinion that it has been dropped. Abeir has also been merged and only most famous settings were selected in order to integrate things.

But it is my opinion and I may be proven wrong.
  • jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited January 2013
    Well i hope it gets in someday. It is still one of the coolest planes in FR if you ask me. Who wouldnt want to raid Strahds castle.
  • jdk2011jdk2011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited January 2013
    Found this on the Ravenloft Wiki. Hope its true.

In September 2008, it was announced on Wizard of the Coast's 'Digital Insider #6' that Ravenloft would be reintroduced to 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons in the October issue of the 'Dragon' online magazine. It was noted that it would be 'folded into the core [story]', implying that it would not be a campaign setting of its own, and instead become part of the canonical Dungeons & Dragons universe. In 2007, Wizards of the Coast announced the printing of two new Ravenloft novels for 2008, Black Crusade and The Sleep of Reason[3], fueling more speculations. A short story by Ari Marmell, "Before I Wake," based on the realms of Darkon, Lamordia and Bluetspur was released on October 31, 2007 on the Wizards of the Coast website as a special for Halloween and featured characters inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith [4].

The Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition supplement Manual of the Planes establishes that in the 4th Edition cosmology the Domains of Dread (and by extension the Ravenloft setting) are now located within the Shadowfell, a mirror-world of death and gloom lying adjacent to the mortal realm.
    edited January 2013
    So from everything I've read, looks like Ravenloft is now part of Shadowfell and since Shadowfell is part of 4E, then i suppose its possible it will get in game someday. Thats good enough for me.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Another indication that it has not been dropped is that the Castle Ravenloft board game was published in 2010 and has the 4th edition D&D logo printed on the front of the box.
    edited January 2013
    Well, even if Ravenloft is dropped or not, Raven Queen has a realm of her own and is as dreadful as Ravenloft :p

So maybe that is its version 2?

Forgotten Realms already has Abeir/Shadowfell which mirrors Ravenloft so any setting in ravenloft can always be moulded and adapted into those.
  • sorasotrosorasotro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm an old school kind of guy. Gimme a Greyhawk expansion. There's a ton of material that can be used for endgame content.

The Temple of Elemental Evil

The Tomb of Horrors

The Slavers / The Giants / Queen of the Demonweb Pits....
  • tearingtheweavetearingtheweave Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jdk2011 wrote: »
    Well i hope it gets in someday. It is still one of the coolest planes in FR if you ask me. Who wouldnt want to raid Strahds castle.

LOL....probably everyone he sucks dry haha
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, just noticed this thread. Yes it's part of the Shadow plane now, and Sigil is part of the 4th edition since the DMG 2 I believe.

Both are realms I hugely love and would be honored if users would make Foundry modules while we wait for any expansion tie-in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lawfulstupidlawfulstupid Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    I must be the last person left on the planet still holding out for new Spelljammer. I used to think it was SO sweet having my own private nautilus-shaped spaceship.
    The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
    edited January 2013
    I must be the last person left on the planet still holding out for new Spelljammer. I used to think it was SO sweet having my own private nautilus-shaped spaceship.
    Nope, you're not! Keep in mind, as this is the Forgotten Realms, the future of Spelljammer elements is very possible for several of the major cities housed Spelljammer Ports. Ancient Netheril, thousands of years ago, even had Spelljammer Ports in their Enclaves. So, now that Netheril has returned, I am sure that there is at least one Spelljammer Port somewhere in the Faerun region in which the game will begin. Whether or not such elements will be in the game at release or in the future, I can only hope.

Boo (from Baldur's Gate) was afterall a Spelljammer hamster, a Miniature Giant Space Hamster to be exact.
    edited January 2013

The planes above, a 4e PnP book describes the dfferent types of spelljammer ships along with details of planar travel.
  • yoazismynyoazismyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ravenloft was better when it was just a castle with a sad vampire living in it. Just saying...
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If non-FR content were added Dark Sun and Ravenloft would both be high on my list. Since those have already been mentioned, though, Red Steel just so I can play a tortle (turtle people).
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I want my Planescape, and Sigil, Berk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gouldan1gouldan1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see in future the full forgotten realms world mapped out and playable first (as well as the vast array of potential classes), then I believe they should aim to open some of these other worlds up for the players to move between. Allow characters to move between worlds for a price - there is a huge potential to make money and endless storyline to use. Dark Sun, Planescape, Ravenloft and Ebberon; all of these have amazing potential, and all of them I would play if they bring these worlds to life.
  • yoazismynyoazismyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    DDO started doing that and it blue. BLue being the color everything took a tint of for some reason.
  • morgonttimorgontti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Gimme Dark Sun. If done right it could be epic. Only a trailer of it could make people go "WTF is this".

I am actually considering making a Dark Sunesqe area if it is possible with the foundry (but the psionics would be missing), right after I make a Ravenloft adventure pack. Always wanted to do Barovia, or the adventures of Lord Strahd von Zarovich and try to make the castle and surrounding areas as close to the modules as possible.
    Dwarven women have no beard, and if a dwarf woman has beard, there is always beer to make it better.

Remy Rockhammer@morgontti - 30th Dwarven Cleric

7vtbanner.jpg
  • makathmakath Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hopefully the Foundry will be powerful and flexible enough to recreate the original Ravenloft module or the newer House of Strahd.
    kilfir_sig.png
  • atherratherr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55
    edited February 2013
    Oh gosh! Ravenloft would be awsome!
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just an update I'm working on a Ravenloft Campaign, and the first chapter "Journey to Barovia" is out and playable. I hope I did the series does the Ravenloft modules justice I tried to tie the Realm of Ravenloft in with the current FR setting.

Just search " Journey" in the catalog.

Cheers! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here