test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why min # of characters should start at more then 2.

13»

Comments

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pretty much...

I won't go into what you meant for "pretty much", but if that's the case then there is no issue and starting free character slots can stay as 2 indefinitely. However, it's important that the source of in-game astral diamonds is potentially infinite for a single account for this statement to hold true.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I like the idea ofhaving alot of slots but only 2 that can go up to max level, I like the idea of being able to try out classes before you buy sort of thing, so slots you could level to 20-30 would be good, and then a smallish fee to unrestrict. I would say the same if classes/race are ever to be paid for, you can try them to levle 20-30 but past that again a small fee (only if those are actually pay for, i think just having to pay for additional char slot to 60 would be enough though)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »
    I won't go into what you meant for "pretty much", but if that's the case then there is no issue and starting free character slots can stay as 2 indefinitely. However, it's important that the source of in-game astral diamonds is potentially infinite for a single account for this statement to hold true.

the thing is though you can only refine 8000 AD per day so you are limited to how much you will have of refined AD, but Rough AD can be earned through invocation, possibly quests, and if they do it like they did in STO there will be a mine where you play a minigame to mine it.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lyfebane wrote: »
    I like the idea ofhaving alot of slots but only 2 that can go up to max level, I like the idea of being able to try out classes before you buy sort of thing, so slots you could level to 20-30 would be good, and then a smallish fee to unrestrict. I would say the same if classes/race are ever to be paid for, you can try them to levle 20-30 but past that again a small fee (only if those are actually pay for, i think just having to pay for additional char slot to 60 would be enough though)

Like I said there will be a test server, You can check out the new classes/races on that.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »

It will be a time-gated currency, divided into two types - "ore" and "refined." Refined Astral Diamonds are the kind you use in the AD shop and what you trade for ZEN. Astral Diamond Ore is what you earn in the game. You can earn as much Ore as you want in-game, via quests, daily quests, events, etc. and you can convert it to Refined AD for free. However, you will only be able to "refine" a limited amount of AD per day (in STO, you could only refine 8,000 Dilithium Ore per day).

So, yes, the source of AD is "potentially infinite" for a single account.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it is not infinite it is caped by number of char since every have limit how much can refine,so thats way we are caped on 2 char slots per acc to ppl cant bring to much ad on market and exchange and make ad to cheap
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The refining limit in NW is currently set at 24,000 AD per day as of last beta weekend. One thing that will make it much easier to get AD in NW is that the Auction House uses AD. That gives you the opportunity to sell loot to other players to earn even more AD on top of the 24k you can refine. If crafting actually lets you make real items then that is something else you can sell on the AH for AD.
    edited February 2013
    The refining limit in NW is currently set at 24,000 AD per day as of last beta weekend. One thing that will make it much easier to get AD in NW is that the Auction House uses AD. That gives you the opportunity to sell loot to other players to earn even more AD on top of the 24k you can refine. If crafting actually lets you make real items then that is something else you can sell on the AH for AD.

That is definitely something I hope holds into live - STO's AH doesn't use Dilithium.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Like I said there will be a test server, You can check out the new classes/races on that.

hmm, but that will still have difficulties, unless the test server has more than 2 slots before any bought on normal server. What if you want to test high content with your actually chars? I know you can move them but deleting then moving them back all the time might be a little bit problematic, but yes that could be one way to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013

This would be amazing and something all games could benefit from I think. 1-15/20 and then pay for the slot to continue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    hatepwe wrote: »
    This would be amazing and something all games could benefit from I think. 1-15/20 and then pay for the slot to continue.

It would make me much happier to have such an option and money isn't even really a major factor for me (compared to other things I spend on my video game/mmo hobby is very cheap). I still don't like wasting money though, and allowing players to see what they are going to get (or try it out) first, will just make everyone happier. It will also probably end up selling alot more since people will not be risking anything, they will KNOW they want to play the class etc before buying it.

Same goes for extra character slots. If I have to pay to try a cleric.....well I have a killing addiction. I can heal people, I can play as a cleric if it's needed, but most of the time I play a character that focuses on killing (Either by spells or weapons). I would probably have never tried the cleric in NW (and found out you can kill things well with it) but I had an extra slot waiting for me to try it (and it's beta so testing is important).

But....if you have a slot waiting right there....well, eventually you'll try that cleric. The cleric in NW at least to me, seemed to play more like a mage type in most other MMO's (while still being able to heal quite well). It was a totally different cleric experience. MANY players will probably enjoy playing a cleric in NWO that have never enjoyed them in the past.

But how many of them will ever give it a shot if they only have 2 slots to start with?

Now if we have 2-3 slots to start, and can play the other slots up to 20 before needing to purchase them? I'm sure way more people will give the cleric class a try with that setup, and way more people will eventually buy more slots as well.

Seems like a good way to both make money, and make the player base happy as well.
    edited February 2013

hmm, but that will still have difficulties, unless the test server has more than 2 slots before any bought on normal server. What if you want to test high content with your actually chars? I know you can move them but deleting then moving them back all the time might be a little bit problematic, but yes that could be one way to do it.

What? You copy your character from the live shard to PTS. You don't do it the other way around.

You can delete your live character from the PTS, then recopy it to PTS later.
  • kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    DDO gives 5 I think. I think that is enough.

But it will depend on how much the slots cost.

DDO gives 2 basic, 4 if you payed once for anything at the shop (bought the currency with real money).
    More have to be bought
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    kormai wrote: »
    DDO gives 2 basic, 4 if you payed once for anything at the shop (bought the currency with real money).
    More have to be bought

You also get extra if you subscribe (think it's 4 more not sure..I have had 13 for so long I have no clue what base is anymore). Subscribing for 3 months gives 1500 turbine points as well, along with full access to all adventure packs, classes and races. 10% speed boost in town, access to quests on elite difficulty the first time (big seller for me), shared bank access etc.

It's quite a good deal in my opinion if you play the game on a regular basis...even if you already have bought all the adventure packs, races, classe etc like me.

DDO is different though in a HUGE way. It's true D&D as far as character creation, which means you can make a char from scratch (choose your own stats and every stat makes a diff), and you have a ton of classes to choose from along with multiclass options (up to 3 classes per character). The number of builds you can have are insane..and many play totally different from each other. I have probably made well over 100 characters over the years. So, yeah...character slots are really important in DDO.

NWO is a bit diff in that you will only need as many character slots as there are classes available, unless they change things greatly. There just ins't enough difference from one guardian fighter to another to make having more then one make sense (especially when there are respec tokens so you can change those few differences around if you want).

Even once NWO comes out, I won't stop playing DDO (dont' think I ever will till it closes), although I'll probably take a few months off to concentrate on NWO at first. I'm hoping to eventually split my attention between them, or alternate back and forth or something.

NWO's advantage for me is the combat is more skill driven in some ways. The rogue especially was a blast to play for me, and felt more skill intensive then in DDO (then again, i've played it so long I may just not find much challenge in the combat there anymore because of that). DDO has been my most action based MMO forever pretty much, but NWO is looking to surpass it...and do so with a D&D theme.

So stocked about the game.