test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Class builds from 4e

Comments

• askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I compiled a list of class builds from the 4th edition books that I could find. I had never paid much attention to them before. I don't think a poll would work with this many entries. The one's in green are already in, I'd like to see the ones in yellow developed for Neverwinter next and more than a few of the others down the line.

Players Handbook

Battle Cleric
    Devoted Cleric
    Great Weapon Fighter
    Guardian Fighter
    Avenging Paladin
    Protecting Paladin
    Archer Ranger
    Two-Blade Ranger

Brawny Rogue
    Trickster Rogue
    Deceptive Warlock
    Scourge Warlock
    Inspiring Warlord
    Tactical Warlord
    Control Wizard
    War Wizard

Players Handbook 2

Isolating Avenger
    Pursuing Avenger
    Rageblood Barbarian
    Thaneborn Barbarian
    Cunning Bard
    Valorous Bard
    Guardian Druid
    Predator Druid
    Preserving Invoker
    Wrathful Invoker
    Bear Shaman
    Panther Shaman
    Chaos Sorcerer
    Dragon Sorcerer
    Earth Warden
    Life Warden

Players Handbook 3

Enlightened Ardent
    Euphoric Ardent
    Resilient Battlemind
    Quick Battlemind
    Centered Breath Monk
    Stone Fist Monk
    Telekinetic Psion
    Telepathic Psion
    Defiant Runepriest
    Wrathful Runepriest
    Protecting Seeker
    Vengeful Seeker

Forgotten Realms Players Guide

Assault Swordmage
    Shielding Swordmage

Dragon Magazine 379

Bleak Disciple Assassin

Night Stalker Assassin

Neverwinter Campaign Setting

Wizard(Bladesinger)

Heroes of Shadow

Paladin(Blackguard)

Heroes of the Feywild

Wizard(Witch)

Scourge Warlock is the bomb. Have a lvl 22 one in the tabletop campiagn I'm in and he <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. When I play in some of the local RPGA-sanctioned events people unfamiliar with the class literally think I'm cheating.
  • hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    I'm gonna have to say that Rageblood Barbarian sounds pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. So I wouldn't mind one of those.
  • edward37edward37 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem I see is that they will have difficulty differentiating between certain classes that are similar, or at least would play as such in the game conversion.

For example where would a Paladin's place be, inbetween a GWF and a GF, or even a battle cleric mixed in. So while its possible that they would include them at some time, it would likely be later down the road after other themes which are contrary to most others are implemented.
  • oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think there's a lot of love for classes that are similar but slightly different. I know many that would play a Paladin but never a Cleric, and vice versa. Their roles and differences might not translate into mmo roles, but in roleplaying they're very different. Clerics, Paladins, and Monks are all icons of religion or faiths but all have different roles in PnP rpg's. Their differences may not translate well into computer games but I think our experience would suffer in their absence.
    e84df321-2eb4-4d3b-97d2-854aa247afc4_zps96a2cec8.jpg

Orcus bane, Knight-wanderer of the Sword Coast
  • bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm gonna have to say that Rageblood Barbarian sounds pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. So I wouldn't mind one of those.

What they said with bells on
  • pvishpvish Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think there's a lot of love for classes that are similar but slightly different. I know many that would play a Paladin but never a Cleric, and vice versa. Their roles and differences might not translate into mmo roles, but in roleplaying they're very different. Clerics, Paladins, and Monks are all icons of religion or faiths but all have different roles in PnP rpg's. Their differences may not translate well into computer games but I think our experience would suffer in their absence.

In 4e, Paladin and Cleric are different role.
    Paladin is Defender.
    Cleric is Leader.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ygwild wrote: »
    I am relaxed. I was just pointing out that you had too many strikers. No need to resort to insults. My opinion is as valid as yours. I could now take the time to defend myself, but, why feed the troll?

im not a troll , captain nothing, im a guardian and paid my same share to be here as u did.. relax and go find a hobby
    COME WITH ME !
  • ivanthehareivanthehare Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Stone Fist Monk plz
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can has Dragon Sorcerer? And Chaos/Cosmic/Storm Sorcerers? Self-taught magic is where it's at.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i think they should focus on maximum diversity in the beginning - e.g. great weapon figther OR barbarian, tempest fighter OR dualwield ranger, battle cleric OR melee druid etc. etc.
  • oldskylanceroldskylancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would measure class diversity versus fan favorites too. Some of the most desired classes have no room in the MMO trinity:

Druid,Swordmage,Bard.

• aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Now get this classes in the game
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would measure class diversity versus fan favorites too. Some of the most desired classes have no room in the MMO trinity:

Druid,Swordmage,Bard.

There's actually more to a trinity than 3 tbh...there's also crowd control and buffs/debuffs (not just healer dps tank).
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    glass cannon mage. 2 hit death, aoe and a tone of excape abilities. I dont know the modern DnD. But that is the general concept I would love to play.
  • ygwildygwild Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013

god now I see why the poor developers and moderators get frustrated with a forum users who take things out of context, or infer things that were never implied or said.. ie looking through the trees to see forest etc ,, sometimes the simple answer is the right one

ya'know, the funniest thing about this statement is that the posetr did the same. I replied to the Original thread, saying he had too many strikers. Guy with a Hero of the North.
    Deathreaper, here inferred that I meant him, and then started his troll-like insults.
    That cracks me up.
    But to get back on topic.
    I'd like to see more of the Defender and Controller roles portrayed. I played through the First Dungeon(Cloak Tower), and I think with a controller in the group, the adds would not have been as annoying. More Defense is always good as well.
    As for Leaders, its my opinion, as a DM for 25+ years that in 4th Edition, the Virtuous Bard is hands down the best healer. It depends on how you build it, but with the right feats it turns out better than any Cleric.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Druid,Swordmage,Bard.

Swordmage is a Defender (aka Tank), same as Fighter and Paladin. It would just likely be more of an evasion tank than "stand there and take it" tank. Think Warrior in TERA, but with teleports instead of dodges.

Bard is a Leader (aka Healer), same as Cleric. This one is easy.

Druid is a Controller, which is not exactly "trinity", but a common fourth leg in MMOs, and is what the Control Wizard is. It could just be essentially a Control Wizard with nature-themed powers, and a wildshape.
  • tau41tau41 Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    Not a bad list, oldskylancer, but one thing. We need a Sorcerer variant in this game. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Sorc in 4e, but it is a truly valid divergence from Wiz and Warlock *in 4e.*

I'd also like to see Warlord, but that one I can understand not being terribly attractive to implement. I'm also not sure how I'd implement all of the tactical Warlord abilities anyways-so many of them are things like making party members move and using your party members to make your attacks.
  • notlobnai1974notlobnai1974 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Class id love to see:

Multiclass....with Power swap feats....
    edited March 2013
    Hopefully the game will continue to evolve after release. Not to seem negative but after playing the beta I see more trouble than just lack of class diversity. I would have thought having an IP like Dungeons and Dragons would have illicited a deeper experience.

I'd really love to see many more of the classes implemented and if Champions is the mold for PnP RPG's to MMO's, I've got confidence we will.

Implementation of hybrids would be nice also, and feat diversification.

• thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    they dont have artificers in 4.0? really? but they are so cool!

did wizards remove the class in 4.0 or is there a class like them but under a different name?

Artificers? In Neverwinter? Artificers belong in Eberron, and should firmly remain there.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Not trying to be an *** but wouldnt be easier to create each classes first and then have a choice of which build u will get ??

With all those builds i dont even want to imagine when we will be able to play at least with 1 of each class.
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Not trying to be an *** but wouldnt be easier to create each classes first and then have a choice of which build u will get ??

With all those builds i dont even want to imagine when we will be able to play at least with 1 of each class.

It would make sense, but the way Cryptic is handling it is that each build option is a separate class entirely (save skills like thievery, dungeoneering etc)

I would like to see the classes combined so that you were just say a Fighter, and could choose between GF powers or GWF powers (ala skill trees) though I'm not sure how that would work for game balance. Unless you did choose to be one or the other and that choice gave you a bonus to certain actives, not unlike the PnP ruleset.
  • ctowersctowers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited March 2013
    My Top 5 for Next Entries, No Particular Order:

Archer Ranger - Need another Ranged Class Bad
    Cunning Bard
    Avenging Paladin
    Scourge Warlock
    Predator Druid

Question to you guys: How is the Cunning Bard and Predator Druid Different in the 4E version of D&D?
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ctowers wrote: »
    Question to you guys: How is the Cunning Bard and Predator Druid Different in the 4E version of D&D?

Different from what?

If you mean from 3.5, first off Bards in general in 4E are almost equal to clerics in healing, and can fully take on that role. So no slow spell progression, but they also don't get a progression of "songs per day". Their powers are just themed as musical in some way. The cunning bard is one that focuses on INT as their secondary stat, and tend to be the tactical leader bards, and fight from range. They are good at moving allies around the board to get them out of harm's way.

Druids in 4E get specific forms with specific abilities, not 3.5's turn into whatever you want Wild Shape. 4E's Wild Shape is at-will, not limited per day. Predator Druids focus on fighting while shaped into offensive forms, in contrast to other Druids that are more spell-casting focused.
    edited March 2013
    Any votes for an update of this list? If so post 'em and site the reference.

• desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    I agree with OP yellow color picks, and would like to add:

Chaos Sorcerer
    Wrathful Invoker
    Defiant Runepriest
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Does Green means Cryptic has already those classes waiting to be released?
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kimoy8520 wrote: »
    Does Green means Cryptic has already those classes waiting to be released?

Green shows what is out, yellow shows what the user wants added.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anvilrockanvilrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I did see a 6th class symbol,when I created my weapons fighter
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh that was a stupid question. Anyway I supported the release for the two assassins. It's good that someone liked the night stalker too.