test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry concerns?

zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Im certainly interested in playing the Foundry, but I must admit, I'm more concerned with the likelihood of the exploiting in using the Foundry. From my understanding, people can equally level up, advance, and get loot from these user created maps, so what's stopping them from creating a super easy map? For example, creating a map with an elevation where the players are, and a lower level with melee only monsters, allowing ranged attackers to easily pick off the mobs? The creator could spawn monsters normally too difficult for players to kill in a fair fight, but by exploiting pathing and range, these monsters could easily be taken out.

There isn't really a whole lot of readily available info on the Foundry, so I could be mistaken.. but what are your thoughts?
Post edited by zeruin on

Comments

• shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zeruin wrote: »
    Im certainly interested in playing the Foundry, but I must admit, I'm more concerned with the likelihood of the exploiting in using the Foundry. From my understanding, people can equally level up, advance, and get loot from these user created maps, so what's stopping them from creating a super easy map? For example, creating a map with an elevation where the players are, and a lower level with melee only monsters, allowing ranged attackers to easily pick off the mobs? The creator could spawn monsters normally too difficult for players to kill in a fair fight, but by exploiting pathing and range, these monsters could easily be taken out.

There isn't really a whole lot of readily available info on the Foundry, so I could be mistaken.. but what are your thoughts?

Your for instance is a big concern, and in my opinion something that got brushed off way too easily by Andy the developer during the interview he did with the community. He basically said, well that's not really an exploit because you're still killing the mobs...but also said, we're going to rely on the community(not exclusively) to tell us what the exploits are and fix accordingly(and pull foundry modules). The second part is good to hear, but the first statement seemed pretty odd when I heard it.

It is also worth noting that the problem is, however, slightly alleviated by the fact that foundry content gives rewards based on average play time for the mission, and even extremely difficult mobs give very little XP compared to XP given for turning it quests.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm almost positive the creatures scale with level in the foundry.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I found this video regarding the Foundry by Any Velasquez, lead producer of Neverwinter, there are some some really good tips etc (near bottom) here.

Hope this helps to answer some questions. :)
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016471/User-Generated-Content-In-MMOs

Craig Zinkievich has a great talk he does in this video about UGC and the Foundry, stopping exploiting and a bunch of other things.

Exploits will happen, it is an MMO. But decreasing their impact is the biggest step to take.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of my concerns as well, I do not want to see some kind of exploitable system. I'd rather see the foundry as what it was intended to do, bring out some great player created content with neat stories and missions. Not xxXXxLEVELBOOSTERxxXXxx missions that lets you reach 60 in 3 hours..
  • atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    One of my concerns as well, I do not want to see some kind of exploitable system. I'd rather see the foundry as what it was intended to do, bring out some great player created content with neat stories and missions. Not xxXXxLEVELBOOSTERxxXXxx missions that lets you reach 60 in 3 hours..

Hear, hear!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    Foundry isn't new. They use it in Star Trek Online so I would think they have learned a bit about what to expect. It doesn't matter what system is in place someone will find a way to exploit something. That is what they mean by relying on the community to let them know.
    edited February 2013
    witchzero wrote: »
    Foundry isn't new. They use it in Star Trek Online so I would think they have learned a bit about what to expect. It doesn't matter what system is in place someone will find a way to exploit something. That is what they mean by relying on the community to let them know.

The sad thing is, last time I played STO they had missions like I said, for example there was a mission where I had to go to a npc talk to him 3 times and then I got xp for it. People did that everytime there was a foundry bonus event and you got a hefty ammount of xp. I do hope they've fixed this, otherwise it will ruin much of the gameplay. But they will probably find those missions and nerf them, like someone above me said, it's a mmo, people will find exploits, lets just hope they fix them fast.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    The sad thing is, last time I played STO they had missions like I said, for example there was a mission where I had to go to a npc talk to him 3 times and then I got xp for it. People did that everytime there was a foundry bonus event and you got a hefty ammount of xp. I do hope they've fixed this, otherwise it will ruin much of the gameplay. But they will probably find those missions and nerf them, like someone above me said, it's a mmo, people will find exploits, lets just hope they fix them fast.

STO fixed the kind of exploit you're describing, by backporting an idea from Neverwinter actually; mission rewards became based on average completion time, which made them ineligible.

This of course opened up new avenues of exploit, but in Neverwinter since UGC is going to be such an important part of the daily play experience, there will undoubtedly be players who report those quests as exploits. All PWE has to do is respond to those reports.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Specifically for the OP example, in GW2 there is anti-exploit code in place that takes into account the pathing between the mobs and the player and makes it impossible to kill a creature if they are not on a semi-level playing field. Now this isn't 100% exploit proof, but it goes a long way towards fixing a bunch of issues. I'm not sure how NWO handles pathing issues, but that sort of scenario could be solved with code. Also, this sort of mission would get flagged by the community pretty quickly.

Unfortunately I know that CO allowed for all sorts of pathing exploits because of flying, but these are lessons learned that hopefully Cryptic will address.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    STO fixed the kind of exploit you're describing, by backporting an idea from Neverwinter actually; mission rewards became based on average completion time, which made them ineligible.

This of course opened up new avenues of exploit, but in Neverwinter since UGC is going to be such an important part of the daily play experience, there will undoubtedly be players who report those quests as exploits. All PWE has to do is respond to those reports.

So glad to hear that they fixed those missions, because they really ruined a lot of the gameplay. Hopefully they can work on limiting those new exploits you said.
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2013
    zeruin wrote: »

For your example specifically, we can take steps to prevent this exploit.

1. We already plan to disallow the placement of multiple traps in the same spot, so we can do the same for encounters, although it would probably be something like you can't place more than 4 or 5 encounters too close to each other. This is not implemented yet, so we still need to test this to make sure it's viable.

2. If the above solution doesn't work we can throttle the rewards you receive from kills so if you've killed a certain number of enemies in a short amount of time, the rewards would be reduced on a sliding scale.

In Neverwinter, the vast majority of your XP comes from completing quests, not grinding enemies. So power leveling by farming enemies would be difficult and probably less efficient than normal questing. The exploits we need to worry about in this case are perks that reward you for killing a large number of a specific monster, which could potentially be made trivial in the Foundry. There's also loot drops, which could also be throttled if necessary. You also don't have control over an encounter's level in the Foundry, so you couldn't mix level 60 creatures with level 20 creatures for example.

It's a delicate balance, and we want to be careful to maintain fair rewards for playing content while preventing exploits. This is something we will be paying attention to both pre and post launch.

Apologies for not going into more detail in the podcast :)
    edited February 2013

1. We already plan to disallow the placement of multiple traps in the same spot, so we can do the same for encounters, although it would probably be something like you can't place more than 4 or 5 encounters too close to each other. This is not implemented yet, so we still need to test this to make sure it's viable.

2. If the above solution doesn't work we can throttle the rewards you receive from kills so if you've killed a certain number of enemies in a short amount of time, the rewards would be reduced on a sliding scale.

In Neverwinter, the vast majority of your XP comes from completing quests, not grinding enemies. So power leveling by farming enemies would be difficult and probably less efficient than normal questing. The exploits we need to worry about in this case are perks that reward you for killing a large number of a specific monster, which could potentially be made trivial in the Foundry. There's also loot drops, which could also be throttled if necessary. You also don't have control over an encounter's level in the Foundry, so you couldn't mix level 60 creatures with level 20 creatures for example.

It's a delicate balance, and we want to be careful to maintain fair rewards for playing content while preventing exploits. This is something we will be paying attention to both pre and post launch.

Okay, when you get responses direct from the dev team like this, it's just awesome. Thank you! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... 1. We already plan to disallow ... like you can't place more than 4 or 5 encounters too close to each other....

It will probably be the biggest mistake you make and will limit some very creative situations. And it will do nothing to solve the problem of exploitation.
  • argetbaenargetbaen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    It will probably be the biggest mistake you make and will limit some very creative situations. And it will do nothing to solve the problem of exploitation.

Can you provide examples? Telling someone they are wrong, and making a mistake, but not providing any insight into how is counterproductive.

In the examples shown in the conference vid, STO had exploit with people stacking low level mods on top of each other for quick AOE XP. Obviously, this already doesn't work as well in NWO, due to the scaling factor. But part of the fix there, was to limit the number of groups that could be spawned in a given area. So this seems like a common sense move.
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The 1st two potential exploits I can think of off the top of my head with this system would be creating the shortest possible instance with trivial trash mobs and and a boss with the best yield in loot. A 5 minute instance that will give me phat lewt and fast mission xp. I haven't read the full write up on the Foundry so take it with a grain of salt.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Can we make group content? I hate to go into as group content and it be super easy.
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nyghoma wrote: »
    The 1st two potential exploits I can think of off the top of my head with this system would be creating the shortest possible instance with trivial trash mobs and and a boss with the best yield in loot. A 5 minute instance that will give me phat lewt and fast mission xp. I haven't read the full write up on the Foundry so take it with a grain of salt.

The amount of mission XP you'd get would be small as the XP is based on average play time of the mission.

You are right that you would get whatever that boss monster drops normally though, but that's not really exploitative because you actually did beat the boss mob(assuming its a mob you actually had to truly fight.) and normal boss mobs aren't gonna drop as good of gear as what you'd get simply grinding level appropriate dungeons.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
    edited February 2013
    shaudius wrote: »
    The amount of mission XP you'd get would be small as the XP is based on average play time of the mission. You are right that you would get whatever that boss monster drops normally though, but that's not really exploitative because you actually did beat the boss mob(assuming its a mob you actually had to truly fight.)

From what I have heard you are not correct about the loot. The loot you get from end bosses and chests depends on a lot of things. Some of those things are number of people in the group, how many enemies you killed and their strength, and time. Not sure if there are other factors as well.
    edited February 2013

Be limiting, I agree. The biggest mistake they make, hardly. You can't solve all exploits with one solution. This does solve one large exploit that they have already run into in STO.
  • witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    It would be interesting to see a Vetting process for the final version of a quest. Something like a Cryptic Seal of Authenticity for a truly epic quest that allowed a really nice reward if the content deserved it.

Lock it from further changes and set your baby free into the world after all the revisions...nice.
    edited February 2013
    That would be neat. For example foundries that has been rated high by the community could get a seal of approval if cryptic deem the mission worthy and thereby reward good loot. As long as foundries doesn't award BiS stuff I'm happy.
  • mallorumalloru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013

First post here, so hey all!

Just to explain this a bit more, how I see it anyway...

The problem with the example isn't so much the grouping of monsters as it is the player characters perching in an unreachable spot.

A lot of genuine quests may require the raising of the number of clustered monsters to provide challenge to a group, as there are not, so far, many other ways to raise the difficulty of an encounter.

It also removes an element of gameplay if you cannot *genuinely* use the environment and player tactics to your advantage. For example, funneling monsters to choke points, etc.

While I am sure no one wants to see exploitable quests, we also would wish to have options for creating challenge. It would be better to find a way for the monster a.i. to deal with unreachable targets.

Anyway, just how I see it. The Foundry looks like a really fantastic draw for this game and it would be a shame if there were too many problems with it at launch.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, keep in mind that the STO Foundry has multiple limits placed down on it to prevent exploits:

1) There is a cap of how many loot items you can get out of Foundry missions per day. Once you hit that point, mobs simply cease to drop any loot at all in the Foundry.

2) Dilithium and experience rewards now scale based on the average length it took to finish said mission.

3) Mob experience gain is nearly zero and is entirely based on mission completion (NW works this way as it is right now).

No, I don't know how 'long' a mission is expected to be for full rewards, nor do I know what the item cap is exactly.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm excited to begin creating with the foundry, I loved making campaigns on Neverwinter nights!!! One question continues to come to mind and I know it's way early yet so this would be more of a hopeful suggestion... I pray that the foundry allows us to deeply customize encounters I would love to be able to make a dungeon with each boss encounter being unique such as having them switch up attack patterns or abilities at a % of life and also emote and if it does not please consider it! any info on this you can share would be awesome keep up the great work guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • kalvorakkalvorak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone know if there's a way for multiple people to contribute to the same foundry campaign?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    argetbaen wrote: »
    Can you provide examples? Telling someone they are wrong, and making a mistake, but not providing any insight into how is counterproductive.
    If you want a simple example:-
    A particular place inside the room, a monster will appear. If you have done bad deeds it will be angel and if you have done good deeds it will be devil. It will appear at same location.

If you do a certain quest, you can garner the support of opposite faction (i.e. if you fight devil, angel will also be summoned and will aid you and vice versa)

There is also a sword from opposite factions - Sword of Bator and Astral Sword. If you have one of these, the monster will be easier to slay.

Question:- Can I do the above when said "fix" is not implemented? Answer:- Yes.
    Question:- Can I do the above when said "fix" has been implemented? Answer:- No.

Can I exploit the system after above mentioned fix is implemented if I want to? Answer:- Yes. {Not going into details how}

EDIT:-

As most players have a preference for simpler quests, preferable handheld ones with golden path - the foundry seems to be catering to them. However that is in initial period when people have not got bored with same missions. After spending enough time with game (like a few months) they would look for advanced scripting quests like above. If the features that make quests like above possible have been removed already, there will be no way to make such quests later which is the real purpose of foundry.
    Also by removing such features, many author who are there to make only unorthodox quests would have left already. Even if they include such features later it will be of much less use to them.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kalvorak wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a way for multiple people to contribute to the same foundry campaign?
    Well multiple people can vote on a foundry campaign.

As of creation I believe there is only one account/adventure. However very likely it is not forbidden to ask people to join on creation of a Foundry quest together like nobody cares if you discuss your adventure with other creator alive with both video and voice communication. In theory a group of creators could divide the task. However it would be still that only one account would get praise and reward for creating that adventure. There is one account/player.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A particular place inside the room, a monster will appear. If you have done bad deeds it will be angel and if you have done good deeds it will be devil. It will appear at same location.

If you do a certain quest, you can garner the support of opposite faction (i.e. if you fight devil, angel will also be summoned and will aid you and vice versa)

There is also a sword from opposite factions - Sword of Bator and Astral Sword. If you have one of these, the monster will be easier to slay.

Question:- Can I do the above when said "fix" is not implemented? Answer:- Yes.
    Question:- Can I do the above when said "fix" has been implemented? Answer:- No.
    I cannot say that I like that.:(
  • hosilockshosilocks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    witchzero wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see a Vetting process for the final version of a quest. Something like a Cryptic Seal of Authenticity for a truly epic quest that allowed a really nice reward if the content deserved it.

Lock it from further changes and set your baby free into the world after all the revisions...nice.

I'm positive that they mention the vetting process in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc but I am at work right now so cannot confirm or give at what time etc

If I remember correctly he says that once you complete your work it does not get published immediately but is vetted by alpha testers before being approved, I'm sure they are not testing for quality of story or spelling etc but for exploits and bugs and just downright horrible people that would set up an area to insta-gib anyone who enters etc

I guess it is just one of those things to "see how it goes" and it will no doubt come down to the community to some degree police themselves by reporting and not using the exploits.