test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHy doesn't the Starter Pack give beta access?

bighalsybighalsy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I can understand the first weekend for the Hero/Guardian packs, but you're doing yourself a disservice and costing yourselves sales by not getting the Starter Pack into the rest of the beta weekends. A lot of people will bite at $20, but only if they're in for the rest of the weekends.
Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
Post edited by bighalsy on

Comments

• zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    To tempt more people to spend for the $60 and $200 packs. Simple economics really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • salomar23salomar23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, forget economics, lets talk common sense. Atm they have a $20 starter kit most people will look at and go: nah, why would I pay for THAT??... no beta acces and some random junk... if I end up liking the game when its out and if I need some of that stuff Ill just visit the cash shop. Then they have a $60 pack which most people will look at and go: well, some cool stuff here... and beta access... but Im not spending $60 on a game I havent played before especially since itll be f2p when it launches.
  • bighalsybighalsy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    My point is that they're giving out keys to people from other PWE games who spent $20 on stuff in other games - Raiderz, Torchlight 2, etc - or lifetime members from CO and STO - who've already got their money's worth over the years. I know I've given Cryptic plenty of money from CoX onward. Even the Pax/PC Gamer/etc. keys are guarenteed at some point. Pretty much everything and their dog except the starter pack so why would anyone buy one? It's a major oversight/mistake IMO.
  • toxicchemicalstoxicchemicals Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited February 2013
    you're not paying enough money to get guaranteed access to something you may or may not possibly enjoy
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Greed in one word, sentence of over ten characters.
  • sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To put it simply; a new PC game usually cost in the realm of $50-80, and $100+ for limited or collector's editions. So it makes sense to me that they are encouraging people to buy both packs.
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They would make a lot more money if the $20 pack got you in beta.

I guarantee 75+% of the people that pass on the $60/200 pack, would take the $20 pack if it had beta access.

Then, even if they don't like the game that's still thousands of players that paid and quit.

Now all of them will just wait for it to go free and never pay a dime so in the end the game lost money doing it how it is now.
  • krenkren Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is exactly how I got into the Firefall beta buying the low end pack. The guys at PE are loseing alot of potential revenue on people that won't pay full box price just to beta something and find out they don't like the product.
  • jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bighalsy wrote: »
    My point is that they're giving out keys to people from other PWE games who spent $20 on stuff in other games - Raiderz, Torchlight 2, etc - or lifetime members from CO and STO - who've already got their money's worth over the years. I know I've given Cryptic plenty of money from CoX onward. Even the Pax/PC Gamer/etc. keys are guarenteed at some point. Pretty much everything and their dog except the starter pack so why would anyone buy one? It's a major oversight/mistake IMO.

Welcome to a game ran by PWE. They are not the best in managing such things. I beta tested for both PWE & Cryptic in the past. ususaly i am in beta on day 1 but now PWE has them my record is shot to hell and I have to wait til they let me in. Sad since both groups know I am an experianced tester.
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's pretty amazing how many people know for certain how much money PWE is failing to make with their current system.

Must be why there's so many people here running successful f2p mmos, and PWE isn't a successful, global company with one of the biggest shares in f2p mmo revenue... if not the biggest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    It's pretty amazing how many people know for certain how much money PWE is failing to make with their current system.

Must be why there's so many people here running successful f2p mmos, and PWE isn't a successful, global company with one of the biggest shares in f2p mmo revenue... if not the biggest.

If they were as successful as you make them out to be then why would they just start selling beta access with Neverwinter? I have tested for PWE & Cryptic before and didn't have to pay a dime to test their games. Basicly they are doing the same thing CCP did with the specticle in EVE online.
  • grinningsphinxgrinningsphinx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    To tempt more people to spend for the $60 and $200 packs. Simple economics really.

It may be simple, but its stupid economics...many MANY people will throw away $20, but no one will throw away $60 on something theyve never played before/whim.
  • eternalscribeeternalscribe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I haven't received a beta key. I haven't been able to try the game out. I would've spent $20 on the starter pack if it came with a beta key. They lost a sale from me, my friend, and two of our guild mates because of this. Two of us also considered buying the $60 pack thinking they came with friend beta keys so we could all try it out. Unless I read incorrectly, only the $200 pack game with friend beta keys. So they lost even more money there.

I still have my eye on the game, still waiting on a beta key, or will simply have to wait until open beta to try the game out before I spend any money on it. I fully believe in spending money on these F2P games to support the devs on their hard work. But I've been burned on too many games that didn't have demos that utterly sucked. So I do not spend $60 unless I've tried and played the game.

But like OP said, $20 is not $60. I am willing to spend $20 to try a game, especially an MMO like this since I know I'll still play it even if horrible when it comes out since I know good stuff will be made with the foundry.
  • crig67crig67 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I paid for the $60 founders pack today and can download nothing..I have no key ..no beta access ...nothing and the beta is going on now..anyone have any ideas..am i missing something here please help
  • pwfyremanepwfyremane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Crig:

I bought it today to and all i did was click the link on the page that said "Return to Neverwinter page"

There was a DOWNLOAD link there instead of ACCESS button.

I clicked it and started downloading.

I havent seen an email if any they sent one...but i think it foes to the oe registered with your payment option.
    edited February 2013
    I can find nothing that says download it just goes to the neverwinter page i can login and out but it does nothing any different and i used paypal and the moneys already gone. I very much appreciate your response..but i cant get it to do anything or anyone to respond i guess because its a weekend but you would think during their beta they would help
  • chronin78chronin78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Both my wife and I would have purchased the $20 option today if it meant we got in the beta. I would love to buy the full $200 pack but $400 for both of us is way over our income levels. I am going to have to wait and hope I get picked. Hopefully we both do :) This game looks great I can't wait to play it.
    edited February 2013
    crig67 wrote: »
    I paid for the $60 founders pack today and can download nothing..I have no key ..no beta access ...nothing and the beta is going on now..anyone have any ideas..am i missing something here please help

next weekend
    edited February 2013
    crig67 wrote: »
    I can find nothing that says download it just goes to the neverwinter page i can login and out but it does nothing any different and i used paypal and the moneys already gone. I very much appreciate your response..but i cant get it to do anything or anyone to respond i guess because its a weekend but you would think during their beta they would help

http://nw.perfectworld.com/download
    edited February 2013
    thanks jim1771 but the download button is not active i do appreciate the response
  • bighalsybighalsy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It may be simple, but its stupid economics...many MANY people will throw away $20, but no one will throw away $60 on something theyve never played before/whim.

This is the my point that others seem to be missing here. There's zero incentive to buy the $20 pack. You can spend $9 on a the digital PC gamer and guarantee yourself access and a few items to boot, but if you spend $20 all you get is a small backpack and a few useless items. It simply boggles my mind that when they say down and created it that no one pointed that out.
    edited February 2013
    Free to Play has once again become Pay to Play.
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »
    Free to Play has once again become Pay to Play.

Nope. The game is FTP when it's released. All I read in your statement is lack of patience. You can watch one a dozen at least streams and get a fair enough sensation as if you were playing.

OP:They cannot change the rules now on the Starter Pack, because many who laid down $60, would have just laid down $20 instead and would feel taken.