test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Total Biscuit plays beta

arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Post edited by arkonagade on

Comments

• chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Watching now, freakin love this guy.

Finished watching and I suggest people check this video out since he has the devs with him as they play and he asks some good questions and they give some great answers.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY&t=51m04s
    seems items only have +power
    wonder how we get stamina
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Stamina regens over time.
  • voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I like TBs commentary but this one features more cryptic people talking than him so it lacks his usual discussion/rambling/criticism/praise.

The NBG rolling thing looks very stupid (other than hotkeys availabe) and is something I'm sick of in these games. If you can't use an item, you shouldn't be able to roll need on it. Period. Because some brat will roll need on it. Why let brats grief at all?

And if there are boe's that can be sold in some kind of AH/market, then nobody should EVER be able to roll need on them, since everybody needs sellable loot (sell it for something you do need). If you're in a group of friends you can always coordinate "need" - but in pugs, loot systems should always err on the side of caution to reduce/eliminate grief and greed.

The whole identify thing is D&Dish but doesn't really fit in a fast paced game where groups will often feature complete strangers (rolling on unidentified items just screams griefers go wild).

UI looks good. Graphics look like WoW/cartoon style with better effects (not necessarily a bad thing but I must say that TSW's graphics are a nice departure from cartoony).

Hard to say with combat since the group is a bit overpowered for the content and it's noob content so it's not intended to be all that difficult

Lastly, the cryptic guy makes it painfully clear that the game is free to play with no box cost but here we are seeing founders paks for $60 (essentially the cost of a premium box) and $200 (essentially the overpriced cost of a collector's edition). So, perhaps he should check out the site for the game he works on sometime. Those paks don't remove boundries or anything but they do include some pretty over the top perks like exclusive races and other crazy stuff. So yeah...about that whole free thing. Sure those paks are optional but people who buy them (outside of being insane) will have some ridiculous stuff.

PS - MMORPG.com is generally terrible IMO. They have a few decent writers but the site as a whole is lacking. Great idea for a site, never has been worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Lots of utterly clueless people visit and discuss there too, which is fitting I guess, based on the overall (lacking) quality.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I always enjoyed TB vids. I didn't care too much for MMORPG.com since they wear rosehued glasses and don't evaluate games critically. They didn't come off to me as very knowledgeable about the game since they were getting all excited over months old game features and were more concerned with playing than actually being inquisitive about the game.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I like this vid, also shows a lot of interesting features for character development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    So yeah...about that whole free thing. Sure those paks are optional but people who buy them (outside of being insane) will have some ridiculous stuff.

As far as I can tell, most of the founder stuff is just extra fluff content and can be gotten through game-play or an equivalent bought with Astral Gems later for the most part... So I don't see where this ridiculous stuff statement comes from other then the fact that the items are a head start type situation.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    arkonagade wrote: »

Omg this looks much better than I was anticipating... now I'm really stoked.
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Great vid, very excited about game. Its looking really really well, actually a ton better then I ever expected. Really looking forward to this game.

A couple things that I don't care for but is not a game breaker. I really don't like the identy thing, but maybe if the identy scrolls are craftable. I really hope this isn't something you need from cash shop, because it looks like these items drop alot. Is this a D&D thing?

The need and greed would be great if its set so only people who need can select need, but it isn't a big deal since mostly I'll be playing with friends.

The loot drops off bossess that look like what the boss has is wonderful saw that in the other live stream last night. That is a wonderful feature. I love the treasure at the end also thats great.
  • providenttprovidentt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah unidentified items are indeed in 4e. It doesn't take anything to identify them though - just a short period of time. Chances are you simply right-click to identify an item, or buy a scroll from a vendor. Can't imagine them selling them for cash.
  • peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yep, I thought so. Looks like this game is even more limiting than GW2 in terms of class customization. Looking at that skill tree, there are only 5 different encounter skills, 3 different at-will skills and a couple of dailies. So basically, (overexagerating a bit here) every single trickster rogue is going to be exactly the same. Coming from GW2, I was hoping for extra class customization, but it seems all these action MMO's are dumbing down player freedom in terms of building a class they want to play by a lot. =(

However, I am only judging from how much of the skill tree I can see. I haven't seen any abilities past level 30 yet, no one seems to scroll down far enough. =(

At least games like WoW and Rift gave the player freedom to build a class in 3 different skill trees. This game gives you barely even 1 skill tree if you compare it to those Point 'n' Click MMOs.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The most concerning part of the video to me is when the press guy asks, "Basically, what will customers have to pay for and what will be free?".....the developer would not give a straight answer. Didn't even say, "I'm not allowed to discuss that."....the press guy inferred it, but never once did the developer shine any kind of light on that. For me, it does not generate good faith for a developer to brush off direct questions like that.

The part I'm talking about is right at 40:55 and goes through 42:55.

Addressing what the developer said is the game philosophy about "looking for ways to avoid frustration and make people WANT to hang around longer and WANT to be invested in a game".....how about honesty with the players? Communication? I can say with absolute certainty that there are a bunch of frustrated players over in Champions Online that haven't had a State of the Game since July 20th, 2012. Frustrated players that have been asking for content for the past fourteen months, and have gotten.....nothing. No new missions, no new issues, just more lockboxes which you have to buy keys for.

What, exactly does all the silence and not answering basic questions by players gain you, Cryptic? Answer? Nothing. You lose out, in my honest opinion. I tell you the truth here, people in general are far more appreciative of a communicative partner than a silent one. We are partnering with you in this endeavor by paying for the product you are producing. Do we, as customers and partners not deserve the common decency of having questions answered? How about having a developer pop over to the neglected game and show some love that is long overdue? Especially when the money that is being generated by that game is funding your other two games? (Gut feeling. Intuition. Where else is the money going, if there's been no new content or bug fixes in over a year?)

All of the above is a statement of my -feelings- in the matter. It is how I feel when I observe what is being shown to me and what I hear and read in press statements/videos. I can only hope that others aren't blinded by the new shiny and are asking these very same questions.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    level 30+ gives you 3 paragon trees to spec into for each class, so a bit more variety is built in than what you describe

-M
  • magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Zeke@Cryptic was on the MMORPG stream as well and commented at least twice that how they will be making money off this release after launch is something he cannot comment on

-M
  • peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    magmofd wrote: »
    level 30+ gives you 3 paragon trees to spec into for each class, so a bit more variety is built in than what you describe

-M

Yeah, but no extra skills. And as the developer said when MMORPG were streaming the game. The guy was playing a devoted cleric, and when he asked what each of the paragon trees did, the developer said that the devoted cleric is restricted to healing. That isn't variety, having different ways to be a healer. That is what I call "fools gold", making you think you are getting some sought of customization, yet each tree is basically the same lol.

What I am talking about is the sheer lack of skills we get in the game. Yeah, you might get some statistical differences between characters. But in the end, everyone is using the exact same skills as everyone around them (provided they are playing the same class). I want visual diversity. I want to be able to play say, a devoted cleric who specializes in AoE dps and has 3 different encounter skills, 2 different dailies and 2 different at-will skills then the other 2 clerics in my party (for example). Another cleric specializes in say single target dps, and has all different abilities from my cleric and the other cleric in the party. Then the last cleric specializes in healing and again has different abilities than the other 2 clerics. This is what variety is, not having small statistical differences with the same skills, that is lazy variety and only hardcore min/maxes think of it as a build. See what I mean?

As a comparison, look at the vanilla WoW druid (I haven't played WoW in ages so I don't know what's changed, but it is the best example). As a druid you could play: Shapeshifter druid, spell-dps druid, healing druid. And then you could go beyond that and play as a tank shapeshifter druid or a dps shapeshifter druid.

If I compare that to what I am seeing in Neverwinter, basically the devoted cleric is an extremely dumbed down version of the druid and is comparable with say, the tank shapeshifter druid. So basically what I am getting at is the devoted cleric isn't really a class at all, it is one build of a class. That class being the cleric.