test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Has Been Your Most Memorable Moments in PnP D&D?

2»

Comments

• neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Getting a whole party to drop into a trap-pit with 3 gelatinous cubes and none of us had any enchanted weapons...
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Specifically My most memorable moment was playing in a campaign and as a level 3-4 Sorceror/Monk (3rd Edition) fincing a Ring of Elemental Command (Fire) then being chased into a Forest by a group of evil Druids.... The Forest did not Survive the encounter.

One i've heard of and have had the story related to me by one who was in it goes as follows:
    A Group of adventurers had been hired to go and clear an adandoned church of the Vile hellspawn that had infested it (Goblins), so the adventurers went to the church and began attacking the Goblins that had been camping out in the church when suddenly one of the Goblins screamed out at the party to stop (in a thick Welsh Accent) and asked the group why they were attacking them.
    What follows is as best as i can remember the conversation...
    "Why ye be attacking us laddies?"
    "Well its because your inside this church, and the locals asked us too remove you from it."
    "What you mean this Building that no-ones been in for atleast two years and the villagers never bother coming too?"
    "......."
    "So why ye be attacking us then Laddies? You could have asked us to leave?"
    "Its because your Goblins, and Goblins are Evil."
    "You Racist <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! We ain't done anything to anyone and you think you have the Right to just up and Kill us for existing?"
    "Um.... Yeah"
    "Why you Complete and utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... You come here and kill our people for no reason and with no justifacation and WE'RE the evil ones?"
    The party left and felt rather confused about what too make of the game for abit....
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I was playing a Druid in one campaign (3.5 edition) and we were running a crypt at the time filled with skeletons and such. Our DM had devised this room filled to the brim with skeletons and we stumbled across it with low-health from a previous bout.

After listening to our DM chuckle for a few minutes, a thought came to my mind. I asked the DM what the floor was made of and he replied back puzzled it was a large slab of thick granite. I announced I was going to cast Stone Shape and then proceeded to roll a critical by sheer luck.

I then commanded the floor to spread apart and engulf all the skeletons in one giant pit. After closing the giant pit, not a single skeleton remained. An encounter that the DM thought would take us about an hour to get through was completed within minutes. A fact he still reminds me about years later. ;)
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Whatever it was, as long as it not be RoC violating, let's hear what you remember the most!
    There are several events that stand out the most in my pen and paper experiences. In order of favoritism they are:

1. I played a 17 year old half elf bard who had never completed her training as a bard (she got struck with wanderlust before she learned about spellcasting and ended up casting as though she were a wild mage). My bard was awestruck and absolutely fascinated with dragons. The mage had a mass polymorph spell and she tried to turn the entire party into dragons so she could talk to a red dragon. She was intelligent, but didn't really have any worldly knowledge or experience so she didn't understand why the group said it was a bad idea to turn into a silver dragon to talk to a red dragon. (Or why they couldn't be red dragons, or pink with white stripes.) The mage hid all of his scrolls after that conversation. ._.

2. My very first D&D experiences, we had a paladin in our party. We got thrown into Ravenloft. In one particular game the paladin fudge his rolls attempting to restore my character four different times. Killing my mage/fighter four times in a single session. Any time he offered to cast a spell on her, she vehemently declined.

3. As a DM, I had a player who would waste about 45 minutes looting random houses in any town the party reached. I decided to teach the player a lesson without killing him. The Golden Chamberpot. Anything that enters the chamber pot is shrunk down, the owner had it made to avoid having it emptied so often. Anyone who touches the chamberpot without uttering a specific word before hand will be teleported inside said chamber pot. (And thus shrunk) There they remain until someone utters the releasing word. The player learned the lesson and stopped requesting detailed cat bugler time mid-session. :)

4. One of my games we ran into a bunch of giant frogs. Our dwarven berserker was immediately eaten by one frog. We killed the frog and saved the dwarf just in time... for another frog to swallow him. All five frogs in the encounter managed to swallow him up. The player gave his dwarf a fear of frogs and it lead to him often going berserk if he saw or heard a frog.
  • sylatrasylatra Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The time that my fighter was with a group and we were about to battle kobolds and my character says, "They're only Kobolds, what harm can they do?" And then my character had to be resurrected by the cleric because my character was overran by a butt ton of kobolds. Never underestimate your words as the DM will play on them....
    Lenbanner_zps30648f84.jpg
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sylatra wrote: »
    The time that my fighter was with a group and we were about to battle kobolds and my character says, "They're only Kobolds, what harm can they do?" And then my character had to be resurrected by the cleric because my character was overran by a butt ton of kobolds. Never underestimate your words as the DM will play on them....

Ahem.....
    Yeah.... Never underestimate the little gits.
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of my friends tends to play a wizard... badly.

Our DM makes a habit of asking 'Are you sure?' whenever we're about to do something exceedingly stupid (which is just as promptly ignored half the time).

The most memorable times involve everyone's favourite spell.

DM- OK wizard, it's your turn.
    Wiz- I cast fireball on the giant.
    DM- Are you sure?
    Wiz- Yes.
    DM- OK, the giant's dead. Now what do you do?
    Wiz- What do I do about what?
    DM- About the forest fire you just started.

Or the time we fell into a methane filled pit in a trash dump and found an otyguth...

Fireball- putting the fire in friendly fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • moradinallfathermoradinallfather Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    I will not spell out the entire campaign, it spanned at the vary least, an entire year of weekends, fairly early morning to late night play. Our DM was an incredible storyteller and gave us NPCs that took life. One of them was Tab Goldthait, a high level bard that frequently lead our party into the most interesting and riveting adventures.

In the course of one of these adventure, this bard faced off against a champion fighter armed with a seriously deadly longsword. Tab was only armed with an épée and a dirk with an oddly shaped crossguard. Tab was being overpowered, with his épée trapped behind his dirk, which was all that prevented the longsword from reaching his throat. We thought all was lost, as we were all entangle with our own foes and unable to render aid. Suddenly, the bard shifted his hold on the dirk, dropped the épée and used the dirk's blade as a lever with the now free hand to snap the longsword with the dirk's oddly shaped crossguard. A lightning movement by the bard slit the throat of his now unarmed attacker. Everyone was stunned. This allowed us to rout the enemy party and complete our mission.

We continued to build our characters and our relationships with Tab as we progressed from dealing with bandits to monsters, all the while learning that there was an intrigue at play, a shadow behind all the troubles, we fought a dragon, and befriended another. Our nation move toward war with the nearest neighbor. All of our players learned to love Tab Goldthait.

Finally an epic conclusion to our campaign, the great mover and shaker behind all of our travails revealed. He was almost more than our now mid to high level characters could handle, but we overcame him. But what a cost! Our beloved Tab was mortally wounded. We crowded around his dying body to bid this hero farewell, each speaking words to ease his passage to the next world. The last to speak as Tab's life ebbed away was our samurai half-elf.

"Tab, Tab, before you die, just tell me....can I have your dirk?"