test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What will you be? Evil, good, or in between?

Comments

• vinsinarvinsinar Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil just depends on the day of the week.
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I almsot always play some semblance of a neutral character, usually Chaotic Neutral or Neutral Evil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I like 4e's Unaligned. Because I dislike the alignment system.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    rickman wrote: »
    True Neutral.

Pretty much most people are it in real life so... why be any different in a game?

I think I almost read that as indifferent or apathetic...
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    daosage wrote: »
    I plan on being morally ambiguous.

Dr. Pepper? [southpark reference]
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What alignment people chose tends to reflect their personality :p Think about that all you evil doers!

This is a nice test to help you if you can't seem to make up your mind.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20001222b

When ever I take such tests, I always come up one of two things. Neutral good or neutral neutral.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    What alignment people chose tends to reflect their personality :p Think about that all you evil doers!

This is a nice test to help you if you can't seem to make up your mind.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20001222b

When ever I take such tests, I always come up one of two things. Neutral good or neutral neutral.

It is hard for some people to take themselves out of their character development. I try to develop my characters while trying to allow as little of my own self to shade them as possible.
  • syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good Evil Sometimes
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited January 2013
    I have played Good, Evil, and everything between with some degree of satisfaction. After a few decades I have grown tired of Evil and Chaos. I find trying to come up with an interesting reason to be an SOB tiresome and cliche. Striving to be truly Lawful Good in my actions is the only Alignment that is interesting and challanging for me anymore.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited January 2013
    I find it extremely awkward to play characters that deviate from my RL personality. I've tried, but those "alts" are often neglected for months at a time.

I've been told that I'm "Chaotic Good." Whatever that means. I think that such vague classifications never give you any real insight to a person's true nature. People and characters are just too complex.....**chuckles to herself**....that sounds like a bit of chaotic thinking --
  • syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kadlena wrote: »
    I find it extremely awkward to play characters that deviate from my RL personality. I've tried, but those "alts" are often neglected for months at a time.

I've been told that I'm "Chaotic Good." Whatever that means. I think that such vague classifications never give you any real insight to a person's true nature. People and characters are just too complex.....**chuckles to herself**....that sounds like a bit of chaotic thinking --

nah thats verry good thinking

I'm sure you would like "Song of Ice and Fire" books writed by George R R Martin, you can check out also Game of Thrones HBO serial based on his books. In my opinion (heh) Martin have best character design in all fantasy books so far, everyone have their own agenda and whats good or bad it's up to you to decide.

All thic chaotic good, evil neutral is made for easy character creation in pnp but in books or computer games it just hurt your eyes.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
    edited January 2013

You find it harder because playing for a perspective of a personality you are not is very hard thing to do.

Infact it is a challenge, a chllange which every roleplayer has to overcome at some part of his/her role playing to become a true roleplayer. And it IS hardest thing to do.

How difficult it is to think from the perspective of a person you are not? Ver very hard.

Also roleplaying opposite gender is as hard.

~~~~
    Also before talking of personality, read 4e's explaination
    Isn't alignment just another part of your personality? Yes and no.
    Certain personality traits have moral weight, particularly those that influence how you interact with others.Other personality traits have no moral weight at all.

Alignment does not always governs personality.
  • falleniciclefallenicicle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »
    I like 4e's Unaligned. Because I dislike the alignment system.

Same here.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    "Good" isn't boring. Alignment is boring. Trying to stuff morality into well-defined boxes, and trying to classify all decision-making according to those boxes is just poison to interesting characters and stories.

Alignment started out really as more of a faction system, with two sides labeled "Law" and "Chaos", not a morality classification system. Putting "Good" and "Evil" into it ruined it and turned it into the ridiculous monstrosity that is the "classic" 3x3 system. 4E got rid of some of the more pointless alignments, and got rid of almost all of the mechanical implications, but I wish it had gotten rid of it entirely.

In PnP roleplaying, my characters are whatever they are. Sometimes they do "good" things, sometimes "bad" things, depending on the perspective who's doing the judging.

In a video game like this, though, I don't really give any thought to my character's morality or lack thereof; that's not what I'm here for.
    Well said. Alignment was one of the first systems my friends and I ignored because it didn't help game play.
    edited January 2013
    Its easy to test for chaotic tendencies, just toss a cookie into the middle of a group of monsters and see who all rushes into the melee....
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited January 2013
    syfylis wrote: »
    All thic chaotic good, evil neutral is made for easy character creation in pnp but in books or computer games it just hurt your eyes.

Maybe that's part of my "problem"... I have little experience with PnP. The place and time I grew up in....it just wasn't a "girly" thing to do. (My exprience roleplaying has mostly come from online text MUDs and the more recent MMOs.)
    Though if I had been exposed to PnP early on, I'm sure I would have been hooked for life.

I have a copy of "Song of Ice and Fire" around here somewhere, but never gotten around to reading it.

Gillrmn..... you pointed out some things that I've never really considered before. thanks. Funny thing-- I've just realized, when I've tried to be evil, it's been with a male character. So maybe I'm taking on too many challenges at once. Time to try a slightly evil female?? ***grins mischieviously***

Morbic...... "mmmmmm! Cookies!" ***scarfs em all up***

You all have given me some things to do that, hopefully, will distract me from my increasing "beta anxiety."

• trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

Chaotic Good could be described as cynic, rebel, individual, perfect example of Chaotic Good is Robin Hood.

Btw, life isnt so damn grey, we arent all True Neutral.

Hitler was probably Neutral Evil...
  • lordxeranlordxeran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just hope foundry content can create evil-themed quest-lines. It was done in NWN2 with the path of evil story arc mod...
    edited January 2013

Gillrmn..... you pointed out some things that I've never really considered before. thanks. Funny thing-- I've just realized, when I've tried to be evil, it's been with a male character. So maybe I'm taking on too many challenges at once. Time to try a slightly evil female?? ***grins mischieviously***

Yes! Do it!!!

Also I would like to point out from personal experience, that my writing capability used to be very bad until I started RPing as something I was not with friends. Their inputs on my style made me realize many things and now when I show my stories to others, they don't jump out of window every time I force them to read it :)
    edited January 2013
    Just remember that good or evil is decided by society. I'm sure the clergy have very different views then a back ally thieves guild.
  • xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    Just remember that good or evil is decided by society. I'm sure the clergy have very different views then a back ally thieves guild.

This is a bit inaccurate. People can be trained to be evil especially from a young age. And society does play a role in training. But if you take all the civilizations of man kind and pool them together, you'll see patterns just like with individuals. It seems that mankind has some norms when it comes to good and evil. And remember just because somebody at the top starts pushing new rules of good or evil, doesn't mean that the rest of all the people believe it.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • pherephattapherephatta Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I find most "heroes" to be pretty boring, because by and large, heroes are good because they're good. They're heroes because they're heroes.

But bad guys tend to have actual stories. They have the code of ethics that they possess (or lack of ethics) for actual reasons. I tend play characters who lean more towards what is generally considered to be evil, because I come up with their background and roleplay it. And by and large, that winds up with my character acting "evil" because it's (gender neutral as I play both men and women equally) behaving not based on a generally accepted morality, but on its history and experiences.

Now that said, I find villains who are evil just for the sake of being evil to be just as boring as heroes who are good just because they are good. But by and large, there are fewer evil just to be evil villains than there are good just to be good heroes. (I am discounting the mook villains who are just there to be beaten up) Thus, villains wind up more interesting over all.

Another thing that is common in stories and makes for boring heroes is the double standards that are often seen. An example of this is combats with multiple opponents. If the heroes have to take down a single enemy who is tougher than they are - they band together! This is good tactics! The heroes take the day by ganging up on the big bad enemy! But when the villains band together against a powerful hero, they are considered to be cowards and ridiculed for not fighting one on one. It's the same thing, it's just one group is heroic because they are the heroes, and one group is villainous because they are villains. Boring.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Game of thrones characters alignments

Ned Stark- Lawful good

King Robert Baratheon- Chaotic Neutral

Tywin Lannister- Lawful Neutral

Jaime Lannister- Chaotic Neutral w evil tendencies

Queen Cersei Lannister- Neutral Evil

Tyrion Lannister- True Neutral

King Joffrey Lannister- Chaotic Evil

Petyr Baelish- Neutral Evil

Varys- Lawful Neutral

Arya Stark- Chaotic Good

John Snow- Neutral Good

Sansa Stark - Lawful Good

All these characters are quite complex yet in any campaign i have ever played they would fit quite nicely into a DnD alignment.

As for me in neverwinter it will depend on my character a Lawful good knight, Chaotic Good Mercenary, Neutral Good Ranger, Lawful Neutral Knight.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Shortlyy said depends lot of my characters Deity. Generally I like much Chaotic Neutral or Charotic Good alignment.
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Checking list... nice list gillrmn. As always you show that you are a GURU:).
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23281-Deities-of-New-Neverwinter-Detailed&p=354801#post354801
    WHERE is Midnight the NEW Mystra:rolleyes:? I can not find her and she is perfect for arcane spell users.

I found the answer. Second Mystra the Midnight was murdered by Cyric.

Midnight was not long the goddess of magic and in 1385 DR, in the Year of Blue Fire, Cyric supposedly murdered her, at the behest and with the aid of Shar, who sought to obtain control over the Weave.

I hate Cyric for sure. I would rather even worship Bane then Cyric.

Well these Gods I like and I am familiar with all of them from Forgotten Realms Fantasy books:
    Tempus: God of War and Battle. Chaotic Neutral.
    Tymora: Goddess of luck... good something
    Selune: Goddess of Moon and none evil Lychantrophes
    Corellon: God of Elves... if I play an elf character.
    Oghma (also called Curna):[17] God of knowledge, invention, inspiration, bards. True Neutral. Since Mystra reincarnated as Midnight was killed by Cyric there is no other God for Arcane magic users that I am familiar with from Forgotten Realms books. Oghma is god of knowledge and best suitable for Wizards and Bards. Oghma is ok though Mystra was my favorite.

These gods I respect but don't want to play likely:
    Bane... yeah pretty cool but only if I want to play very evil character
    Malar only if I am affected by Evil lychantrophy and really want to play as evil lycantrophe.. for good or neutral Lychanthropes then Selune.
    Kelemvor... Neutral lawful God... such a boring lawful god..

Torm... uhm Lawful Good... only if I play Paladin...

What Gods do I hate?
    Cyric who murdered Mystra!
    edited January 2013
    Since Mystra reincarnated as Midnight was killed by Cyric there is no other God for Arcane magic users that I am familiar with from Forgotten Realms books. Oghma is god of knowledge and best suitable for Wizards and Bards. Oghma is ok though Mystra was my favorite.

Arcane magic is now distributed by three gods:-

Corellon - who grants the magic of nature, i.e. cold, fire, lightning etc.

Selune - who grants good magic like charm, radiant magic etc.

Sseth who grants bad agic like power drain, life drain and necromancy.

Oghma and Mystra used to hate each other. Oghma is not the god of magic but god of knowledge. A wizard does not have magic - if a wizard reads a scroll he can use any magic without learning how to use it.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I usually play Chaotic Lawful. Sometimes I go with Evil Good.

IRL I think I'm Lawful Good.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Lord Cyric smiles when a mortal declare his hate towards him
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    Lord Cyric smiles when a mortal declare his hate towards him
    Nah, considering he is imprisoned by some other Deities... I doubt he knows what is going on outside his little hell. Justly so... I wouldn't have been so kind. I would had killed him and absorbed his power for what he did.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sansa Stark - Stupid Good

That should be fixed now :D
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus