test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Late Night Heavy Roleplay Guild

spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Are you tired of missing out on all your guild events because your gaming schedule rarely matches up with everyone else in your group? Are you a medium-heavy roleplayer who wants to immerse themselves in the game world? Do you dislike large guilds and like the closeness of a smaller guild? Do you prefer text chat over ventrilo or other voice systems?

If you said yes to all, then you are in the same situation as I am and I offer a solution. I am forming a late night roleplay guild for those whose playtimes are often restricted to nights for whatever reason. Our main focus will be roleplay and a key part of the guild will be the development of stories and interconnecting events. But we will not neglect the game and with a pool of members with matching schedules, it will be easier to form groups for PvE and PvP.

What I am looking for:

• Late night players – Late night is defined as 8pm PST to 12am or later.

• Medium/Heavy roleplayers – I’m looking for players who want to develop stories for their characters and immerse themselves in the world.

• Good/Neutral aligned characters - Guild will lean more towards Good.

• Age 18 or older – Allows members to create more mature-themed stories if they wish.

• Prefers smaller guilds – The guild will never be large due to its prime hours of activity. But smaller groups allow everyone to be involved and results in more engaging storylines.

• Likes to try out all aspects of the game – You are never required to participate but I suspect some members will at least try to PvP every now and then.

• Ventrilo optional – I would even go far as to say that voice chat may never happen as I’m not a big fan of it. But if vent is implemented, it will always be optional.

I haven't made any serious thoughts on the guild theme but I wager to guess it will be similar to the Harpers. While we are waiting for beta, we could certainly hammer out the theme of the guild.
Post edited by spectralhunt on

Comments

• deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ill admit I like the idea. As you know I have my own guild, but I like the idea. Ill remember this next time I find a heavy RPer lookin for a guild.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Colour me intrigued. I'm on the West Coast and Ive faced the same as you in most guilds. Been an RPer in most MMOs (WoW, WAR, LOTRO, SWTOR, and most recently GW2). I'm always on too late for most guild events and my schedule is often irregular. As this is Forgotten Realms, I see the potentialfor heavy RP even more. Always been a fan of the Harper's so count me in.

RackhamGreg
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Colour me intrigued. I'm on the West Coast and Ive faced the same as you in most guilds. Been an RPer in most MMOs (WoW, WAR, LOTRO, SWTOR, and most recently GW2). I'm always on too late for most guild events and my schedule is often irregular. As this is Forgotten Realms, I see the potentialfor heavy RP even more. Always been a fan of the Harper's so count me in.

RackhamGreg

Nice! We have doubled our guild membership! :D

In all seriousness, I see huge potential. Forgotten Realms have such a long history that it's just asking for a good RP guild. And this type of guild has worked before. I GMed a similar type of guild in WoW and I think it was a success (had about 20 unique members). Nights were always full of RP and events.

Once we get a few more people, I'll think about a website but till then we can communicate here and toss out ideas.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is ultimately the theme guild I'm interested in. However, I'm hesitant to commit to any of them (this isn't the only one I'm watching) until after release. A lot can happen between now and then, so good luck getting the ball rolling RPers! :D
    edited January 2013
    aavarius wrote: »
    This is ultimately the theme guild I'm interested in. However, I'm hesitant to commit to any of them (this isn't the only one I'm watching) until after release. A lot can happen between now and then, so good luck getting the ball rolling RPers! :D

Oh I fully understand. The game is still quite a bit away from launch and as you said, a lot can change. So no, I don't expect interested parties to sign their name in blood (that comes later ;) ). But I'm glad I'm generating some interest. Hopefully we'll have some stability before launch so we can get the ball rolling from the start.
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    The nice thing about Neverwinter in particular is there so many opportunities to play. The first decision on the guild theme is whether we want to build off something that is directly tied to the existing lore or whether we start something that "compliments" the lore but something entirely original. When I heard this MMO was coming out, I actually went out and bought the recent Neverwinter Campaign book. Haven't played AD&D for years, but thought I'd get a good sense of the lore first hand. Turns out there's a lot to work with.

As you say you wanted to aim the guild as something similar to the Harpers, here's some possibilities I found in the guide. Be warned, since we don't have spoiler tags in these forums, please don't read below if you want to avoid possible story/lore plot points!

I got it, use the same color as the background (black) and highlight it to view.

=====POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT =====

1. The guild is an offshoot of the Harpers

The Harpers do have a presence in Neverwinter as it stands now. Originally their chief operative was a high-ranking member named Cymril. She was also a prominent member of a group called the Sons of Alagondar (more about them later), but she has since been murdered and it has caused a fair rift between the two groups. Their base of operations is in the Blacklake District in an Inn called the House of a Thousand Faces. This inn is run by a long-standing Neverwinter citizen, an elf named Theryis. She decorates the Inn with "old Neverwinter" artifacts and has become sort of a museum of Neverwinter's former days.

Although the Harpers don't have a strong presence in Neverwinter, their primary focus is to monitor the Lord Neverember's rulings as well as keep an eye on the increasing reach of Netheril.

2. The guild could be tied to the Sons of Alagondar - perhaps a militant faction?

This group started out as a collection of Neverwinter nationalists who primary goal was to preserve the Neverwinter's former ruling bloodlines. Strongly opposed to Lord Neverember's tyrannical rule, this group has become more of a rebel faction and in many cases have come to arms against Neverember's own guards. The Harper agent, Cymril was the designated leader of the Sons for 5 years, but was murdered recently, leaving bad blood between the two groups. The Sons of Alagondar, in the absence of a leader, in turn broke into a number of militant factions, the two prominent being the "Nashers" (named after the late Lord Nasher), and the Gray Cloaks. The Nashers (or "Gnashers" as their sometimes called) have grown to become more violent under the rule of their new leader, Arlon Bladeshaper. In comparison, the Gray Cloaks (or "Gray Hairs" as called by the Nashers) have kept a more subdued and watchful approach and they are led by the owner of the Driftwood Tavern in the Blacklake District named Madame Rosene.

3. The guild is one of many thieves guilds in Neverwinter

There are a number of thieves guilds in Neverwinter, one of the most notably are The Dead Rats. Some of the thieves guilds could in theory be actually "good" in nature. With Neverwinter destroyed, life for farmers, merchants, and tradepeople suddenly became incredibly difficult. As such, and with all food and supplies being provided by the criminal Port Llast, many have had to resort to crime. So I could imagine there being a thieves / bandit guild being formed comprised of actually "good" citizens. A collective to keep each other safe, fed, and looked after.

A potential rival could then be the aforementioned, Dead Rats. A filthy crew who actually have their members infected with the Wererat disease, thus giving them their name as well as the twitchy, feral nature of it's members.

4. The guild is actually in support of Lord Neverember

Knowing full well of all these factions at odds with each other in "his city", I wouldn't blame Lord Neverember to have his own "faction" under his control to keep an eye on things. This would be different than his special Mintarn guards, but in fact a guild dedicated to keeping a subtle track of all goings-ons in the city and in turn report back to Lord Neverember. Arguably, this may not by "good" in alignment, but even guilds can be mis-guided can't they?

5. The Bregan D'aerthe

Dragging the bottom of the barrel in terms of lore, but I could see perhaps a collection of Bregan D'aerthe informants. I'm guessing there will be aplenty Drow guilds out there, so I'm not so much in favor of this idea and again the notion that in most cases, the members would be bordering on evil.

============ END SPOILER ==============

That's five ideas to toss around based on the lore I've been reading about, and I know it's a LOT of possibilities. I'm also in favor of putting something out there entirely original as well knowing what other factions will probably see in-game.

Anyways, REALLY early at this stage, but it's neat to have so many options out there to toss around and see what sticks. Yes?
  • nakisanyenakisanye Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I haven't made any serious thoughts on the guild theme but I wager to guess it will be similar to the Harpers. While we are waiting for beta, we could certainly hammer out the theme of the guild.

I'm quite interested indeed and I'm curious to see where this is going. As a writer who has been dabbling in philosophy for the last seven years (and ethics and politics in particular). The Harpers, for example, have always struck me as being inspired by romanticism and reminiscent of JJ Rousseau, but with a certain judgmental tenacity for liberty to them (per Locke). Anyways, feel free to PM (up for voicechat as well) me or ask me questions about ethical systems/moral codes/political ideologies for your guild.

One question comes to mind: would it be a (semi-)secret society/affiliation? I ask this because I have discovered first hand that this limits the guilds IC interaction with other guilds/RPers somewhat. Also, really good reasons how exactly each member came to be a member (and heard of it) within the guild could pose a challenge, depending on how serious things are taken.

I was inclined to feel the same and I see where you are coming from. On the other hand, I have found that joining early can build a stronger community early on and the damage isn't that severe if a few people wonder off around of before the release date.
    The nice thing about Neverwinter in particular is there so many opportunities to play. The first decision on the guild theme is whether we want to build off something that is directly tied to the existing lore or whether we start something that "compliments" the lore but something entirely original. When I heard this MMO was coming out, I actually went out and bought the recent Neverwinter Campaign book. Haven't played AD&D for years, but thought I'd get a good sense of the lore first hand. Turns out there's a lot to work with.

<snip>

As you say you wanted to aim the guild as something similar to the Harpers, here's some possibilities I found in the guide. Be warned, since we don't have spoiler tags in these forums, please don't read below if you want to avoid possible story/lore plot points!

I got it, use the same color as the background (black) and highlight it to view.

That's five ideas to toss around based on the lore I've been reading about, and I know it's a LOT of possibilities. I'm also in favor of putting something out there entirely original as well knowing what other factions will probably see in-game.

Anyways, REALLY early at this stage, but it's neat to have so many options out there to toss around and see what sticks. Yes?

I agree. I think it would be a great idea to toss ideas and see what sticks.
    (I really love that book in general by the way, especially the way character themes work)

The Good/neutral aligned combined with the concept of harpers makes me think of two things: (personal) Liberty/individualism above all else, and that a good society is to be preferred over an evil one (as it is more likely you are able to live free in a good world than an evil one).

The other part is favoring Chaotic over Lawful:
    Liberty and individualism is tied to Chaotic over Lawful (although the rules have changed a bit on the subject, I feel we can still use them and know what we mean). A society like the Freemasons (as it exists today and what little I have read about them) is one that allows complete personal freedom and individuality within the guild. There are but a few principles that bind these people together (like Harpers) but they are strong enough to keep them together. (With Freemasons, I believe one of the few taboos of conversations is personal politics as it will offend others for some reason).

One idea I've always liked is 'keeping the balance' in whatever form it manifests. I believe that it was mentioned by Harpers in BG2, as well as (often neutral) Druids in one of the Quintessential books.

The proximity with Waterdeep also makes influences from, or over the Underdark (Skullport near Waterdeep) possible, as well as drawing ideas from 3rd and 4th edition Underdark themed books)

Power of Faerun is also full of great ideas. As I seem to recall the area around Neverwinter isn't exactly politically stable at the moment, I guess that support for or against the current ruler could surely play a role. Perhaps it would be more of a 'power behind the powers', trying to steer (local) events in a direction which would benefit the greater good for the most people. Or perhaps it is a mercenary guild driven by a certain goodhearted naivete, trying to protect the property and security of the citizens from raiders and thieves, who would otherwise roam the streets freely.

Supporters of freedom, of course, would oppose a ruler (with force) should it grow into a more totalitarian society. Not because one can, but because one must!

(the thing is, evil is pretty clear for most, but good and neutral can be cut up in so many small dices and categories! Take deontological and teleological ethics for example!)

Perspective on the world and what ones action ought to be, could also play a role in the world. Take this list of examples from one of my philosophy books:

Controlling the world (i.e. Christendom), active position, negative perception of world
    escape from the world (Buddhism) , active position, positive perception of world
    adapting to the world (Confucianism), passive position, negative perception of world
    watching the world (ancient greeks) passive position, positive perception of world

What would the perception of the guild be? Would it regard the world (as is, or could be) as a positive or negative thing? Does it need intervention or improvement (a positive position/attitude) or is one merely observing as things unfold, collecting, saving and preserving as much as one can?

Ah the possibilities are endless!
    edited January 2013
    Whoa, lots of input. Unexpected this early but very encouraging.

I won't use quotes but I'll try to address as much as I can. Hopefully what I write will make sense...

I would prefer a guild that is lore compliant but not necessarily part of the FR lore. In other words, I'd like something original but fits FR easily. I thought about making a guild that is an offshoot of the Harpers but creating a guild based on an actual organization can bring headaches. There will be discussions on restrictions and connections with lore figures and it's just much easier to move fresh and new.

One idea I had is an organization similar to the Harpers in concept but not connected to them. One of the issues I had with the Harpers is they weren't very proactive. They always seemed to react to evil and considering their tenet of freedom and balance, it wasn't surprising. I believe the Moonstars broke off from them and they were much more active, taking the fight to their enemies but they were a bit more rigid in structure.

I'm hoping to balance that. The guild should be flexible to allow players to RP as they wish but more focused on combating evil directly. There will be some basic structure but characters should feel free to work independently if they so wish. I thought of an organization of investigators who research rumors or whispers in the dark who actively uncover plots that would threaten peace and freedom.

In the end, the theme needs to have enough basic structure so people feel connected but it should have enough flexibility and freedom as to not hamper players from roleplaying. That balance can be challenging but it is possible.

The guild could be secret or semi-secret. A cover or front to the guild could be used to initiate roleplay so secrecy doesn't necessarily have to be a challenge when dealing with people outside the guild.

As for philosophy of the guild, I'd like to leave that to the individual players. The guild will have so many differing perspectives, it will be hard to designate a certain philosophy and satisfy everyone. Will a lawful character have conflicts with a chaotic one? Most certainly but such internal IC conflicts build great roleplay. As long as the members are generally good (a requirement of the guild), conflicts based on world view, philosophy, ethics and morality can make things fun. As long as things remain IC and not OOC, then it's all good.

At any rate, keep the suggestions and comments coming! Nothing is set in stone, except what I listed as requirements in my first post. If you disagree with me, please feel free to discuss it.
    edited January 2013
    A smart move, I think, to keep it supportive of Forgotten Realms lore, but a separate entity to avoid limitations and lore conflicts.

Looking forward to seeing where the discussion evolves. I really like your input nakisanye regarding the flexibility of chaotic over lawful although I can see a balance between the two for sure. Becoming too lawful (almost militaristic) in nature can push some RPers away whereas some can get frustrated with an overabundance of chaos and lack of structure. Like you, I enjoy that fine balance. Also wishing Druids were somehow added as a possible player class - keeping my hopes up though! ;)

Another thing worth mentioning is I'm actually looking forward to the Foundry system. I hadn't really dived into it with Neverwinter Nights, but I'm quite interested to see how much people can create with the MMO Foundry. It opens a whole slew of possibilities for potential guild events, one that I hope I'll be able to contribute in getting something like that going in the guild upon release.

In any case, I'd love to help in any way I can to keep this guild concept discussion growing and evolving.

Cheers!
    edited January 2013
    If you are interested in the guild and have specific ideas you want or just questions in general, please let me know. If you want to keep it private, don't hesitate to PM me. Recently, I've been checking this site regularly.
  • gevringevrin Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like rp. Quite a lot, in fact, and the concept you're given off here is quite interesting. However, issue I'm getting is how late it will be for me. Yes, yes, the whole point here -is- for it to be late. But 8pm pst for me is 10pm.. aaand I dunno what my schedule will be.

Ah, well, that's a fair ways off in the future, yes? I'm sure things will be all gewd, so long as the people the guild absorbs are semi-dedicated to getting on. I require people to be amused with games these days!

Will you amuse me? Pleeaaase? c:
    edited January 2013
    gevrin wrote: »
    I like rp. Quite a lot, in fact, and the concept you're given off here is quite interesting. However, issue I'm getting is how late it will be for me. Yes, yes, the whole point here -is- for it to be late. But 8pm pst for me is 10pm.. aaand I dunno what my schedule will be.

Ah, well, that's a fair ways off in the future, yes? I'm sure things will be all gewd, so long as the people the guild absorbs are semi-dedicated to getting on. I require people to be amused with games these days!

Will you amuse me? Pleeaaase? c:

I suspect some members will be able to play earlier as that is how it was in my previous guilds so activity won't be completely empty during other hours. But yes, the late hours and RP will be what defines this guild. All the key guild events will take place during the times I've designated. That will not change. If you can't be on that late, even though I hate to say it, there are plenty (in fact majority) of guilds that will meet your playtime. This guild is for those people who are left out of fun RP because their schedules prevent them from participating.
  • red0beerred0beer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I love RP, but my english sucks =/
    Anyway, if i get a chance, and of course get my english in a better shape, i am considering the guild stuff.
    But it's too soon to me to decide anything. The game hasn't been relased, and my playtime will be a little messy.
    I am in +6 hours from the server main time, wich means that for an example, if the GM wants to make an event round 10 PM in the server time, i will be a little doomed.
    Maybe the better solution to me is creating a RP guild with people who talk the same native language than me.
    But it would be really fun to RP in a promising game like Neverwinter.
    -" I Don't worry about how history will judge me..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After all, it will be written by the winners. And i am one. "

(Please don't mind my bad english, i'm Brazilian. :) )
    edited January 2013
    red0beer wrote: »
    Anyway, if i get a chance, and of course get my english in a better shape, i am considering the guild stuff.
    But it's too soon to me to decide anything. The game hasn't been relased, and my playtime will be a little messy.
    I am in +6 hours from the server main time, wich means that for an example, if the GM wants to make an event round 10 PM in the server time, i will be a little doomed.
    Maybe the better solution to me is creating a RP guild with people who talk the same native language than me.
    But it would be really fun to RP in a promising game like Neverwinter.

I hate to turn away players who are eager to roleplay but again, the time factor may be an issue. Again, the schedule won't change. D&D is a pretty well recognized game. I'm sure there will be guilds that will be active that fits your playtime better. But if you can't find one and you can tolerate our schedule, you can certainly join us.
  • eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm certainly on board.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Anyway, if i get a chance, and of course get my english in a better shape, i am considering the guild stuff
    The way I look at it, the best way to improve your English is to use it more. How better than in an RP scene? The useful thing about an MMO is that you're not expected to type as fast as you talk, so you have quite a few seconds to compose what you want to say more than you would in person.
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the Greycloaks. I'm feel like Neverember's an invading foreigner with delusions of grandeur and a false claim to the throne. I don't expect history will look back on the Greycloaks any better than any other revolutionary movement...but at least they're not completely self destructive like the Sons.

It's probably not surprising I feel like a guild founded as part of a Greycloak network would be a lot of fun as well as be firmly grounded in the game world.
    edited January 2013
    My only reservations with tying the guild to a lore organization are the lore hounds. Immediately people will start assuming certain structures and habits, referring to various info of said organization. I dealt with enough debates in WoW regarding guilds linked to organizations in the game.
  • dalamoredalamore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Greetings folks. I have read through the posts and I find myself intrigued by the possibilities of this guild. I also like the hours that you plan to keep. I recently left a guild in SWTOR because of no one to RP with at the later hours. As an old school gamer I look forward to that comraderie that comes from a close knit group of people working together to pursue a common goal. I like your idea of an off shoot adventuring company based upon the tenants of the Harpers but completely free from their heirarchy and influence. There are many possibilities that come from that, not the least of which using the politics of the region for influence and story line creation.
    I am just now getting my interest up to full speed with Neverwinter, I waited for so long on the last mmorpg I played that I had to give it a good show, so to speak. :D I introduced myself to the community in general on the NWN gamers thread. I look forward to the interaction this game could provide and I need to do a lot of reading up on the timeline and the lore it provides, if anyone has any suggestions as to some good novels I can get my hands on It would be greatly appreciated.

Well met, and fair winds.

Cheers,

Dalamore
    Be Good or Be Good at It
    edited January 2013
    I hate to turn away players who are eager to roleplay but again, the time factor may be an issue. Again, the schedule won't change. D&D is a pretty well recognized game. I'm sure there will be guilds that will be active that fits your playtime better. But if you can't find one and you can tolerate our schedule, you can certainly join us.

My main and biggest problem is that i study at night, my classes start at 1PM Server Time and end at 6PM server time. Ok, not reallly late, but to play around 7 PM i will need to be online at 3AM.. A lil hard. I will try for an instance, maybe if you guys don't mind, i will even try to participate on the guild, but if it turns to be unable for me to keep the time play, i will leave :/
    Nothing better than a try to see what can be done :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• vinnersvinners Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This sounds wonderful. I would like to be considered for this guild. I mostly lurk on the forums, but I have a story idea for my character, and I don't get off work until 7pm PST anyway. Late night is all-right.
    edited January 2013
    vinners wrote: »
    This sounds wonderful. I would like to be considered for this guild. I mostly lurk on the forums, but I have a story idea for my character, and I don't get off work until 7pm PST anyway. Late night is all-right.

Excellent!

Once open beta starts up and we can see more of the game, I'm hoping the interest in the guild will pick up. Till then, we can keep ourselves entertained by thinking up ideas for the guild and for our characters.
    edited January 2013
    My main and biggest problem is that i study at night, my classes start at 1PM Server Time and end at 6PM server time. Ok, not reallly late, but to play around 7 PM i will need to be online at 3AM.. A lil hard. I will try for an instance, maybe if you guys don't mind, i will even try to participate on the guild, but if it turns to be unable for me to keep the time play, i will leave :/
    Nothing better than a try to see what can be done :D

You can certainly try. And hopefully we will all be in beta and that should give you a good idea whether you can participate or not.
    edited January 2013
    Well, i never tought i would be invited to try the game at the first time. I have signed for Beta a looong time ago, and the invitation was really unexpected, so, at this time, anything can happen :D
    Let's see what will happen! And good luck to everyone. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited January 2013
    My only reservations with tying the guild to a lore organization are the lore hounds. Immediately people will start assuming certain structures and habits, referring to various info of said organization. I dealt with enough debates in WoW regarding guilds linked to organizations in the game.
    That's an understandable concern. However, I'm of the opinion that it's okay for the group to say "This is our thing, if you don't like it then don't play with us." That is, there are lots of ways to say, "shut up and leave us alone." I think that keeps the external nay-sayers at bay very nicely.

That being said, if you mean lore related conflicts within a guild...yes, that really needs to be handled with a lot of more tact. To that I say it just comes with the territory. As long as the group is willing to be polite to each other, those kinds of things work themselves out.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That being said, if you mean lore related conflicts within a guild...yes, that really needs to be handled with a lot of more tact. To that I say it just comes with the territory. As long as the group is willing to be polite to each other, those kinds of things work themselves out.

For that you need to set apart a judge and leader - whose word will be taken as final, and one who listens to others and is ready to admit his/her mistake if somebody brings convincing info with sources later.

Even if mistakes are made somewhere, they can be rectified - also there is final solution to everything, "You wake up and realize it was just a dream..."
    edited January 2013
    That's an understandable concern. However, I'm of the opinion that it's okay for the group to say "This is our thing, if you don't like it then don't play with us." That is, there are lots of ways to say, "shut up and leave us alone." I think that keeps the external nay-sayers at bay very nicely.

I have no idea how the RP community will be like here and you make some valid points. A guild can say "just leave us alone" but it really depends upon the community as a whole. I've seen conflicts like this escalate from just a handful of RPers to dozens of guilds where the offenders were essentially ignored by a significant part of the community. Now let me make it clear, I personally never built a guild that was attacked in this manner. I just happen to witness it.

That being said, I have reservations but I am not completely against tying our guild to organizations within FR. I just personally like creating a whole new type of organization since we will start with a clean slate and wouldn't have to concern ourselves with restrictions set by the Harpers (although the group itself is very flexible so this may be a moot point).
  • vinnersvinners Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As wonderful as it is to have direct association with an existing (in the lore) group, I think it may end up being very restrictive indeed. Additionally, other players will expect x y z of people in such a group.

However... It's been quite some time since the events of NWN, and it's possible that a group that existed then may have had divisions, factions may have arisen... This is often how groups handle the whole Templar thing in The Secret World- these Templars aren't your classical crusaders. Their motto is "Never again a religious agenda. Never again a public face." It works well and gives lots of options for RP.
    edited January 2013
    I can understand, Spectralhunt, why you want to start with a fresh group. Like you say, it means we're starting with a clean slate and not tied down by established lore.

That's not to say we couldn't base the groups origins in the lore. Perhaps the guild starts out as an off-shoot or splinter formed from an existing FR group like the Harpers. The Greycloaks for example, are a splinter group themselves! One of many splinter groups that may have formed. Could it be that since the Sons of Alagondar were led by a Harper Agent, it would be very possible that when Cymril was murdered, the remaining Harper agents embedded in the Sons separated to form their own splinter group, much like the Greycloaks. It would provide a solid foundation in the lore but give us the distinct freedom to operate however we see fit.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in the beta weekends! Having just seen the Founder pack announcements, I'm still getting over the sticker shock, but I may just end up buying the $60 pack. Still seems like a heavy price tag for a FTP and FTDownload game.....

Also: what classes are people leaning towards? Normally I would pick Ranger, but I think I'll want to separate myself from the Drizzt clones. So far I'm thinking a half-elf or human Trickster Rogue.
    edited January 2013
    Hmm...let's continue your train of thought. Now, let's say someone wanted to make a character that's not native to Neverwinter or the surrounding areas. Let's say they are from the Dalelands or even farther? How could they be incorporated to a splinter group like the Greycloaks. They seem very region specific. I want to encourage people to make characters from all sorts of backgrounds and I like to think that even though the game is titled Neverwinter, Cryptic will expand it to different parts of FR.

I'm hesitant on the Founder's Pack for the same reasons you mentioned. I'll be able to participate in at least one of the closed betas since I have a PC Gamer key. And I don't really need a headstart at launch since my character names are secure because of Cryptic's @handle design.
    edited January 2013
    From what I've seen, the character creation screen offers a number of "origin" locations including Luskan and Waterdeep. My guess is they may provide some logical reasons on how your character migrated to Never winter. To me it makes perfect sense. Neverwinter has become a frontier-like town so HUGE opportunity for any enterprising adventurer.

For example, the rogue I have in mind would be from Luskan originally and - eager to escape the reign of the High Captains - would be travelling to Never winter for opportunity and potential riches! ;)

For a splinter group like I described, I could see them recruiting all this new blood travelling into the city for the purposes of gaining advantage over already established groups. With the Sons splitting off into militant groups, tension in the city would undoubtedly become unbearable. Skirmishes would break out as groups vie for established territory and the only strength would be that of numbers. The Harpers would be likely be aware of this and would support any endeavor to keep the conflict to a minimum. Just my thinking behind this.

And yeah, not sure about the beta prices. Seems a little odd to me, but I may succumb to marketing...