test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

mmOrpg Suzie Ford Column

ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in Off Topic
http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?from=home&read=7031&ismb=1

It was eight years ago that I began playing Bioware’s Neverwinter Nights, a time that seems both a long while ago and as near as yesterday. I have the moment nearly down to the day that I started playing because the summer of 2004 is eternally seared into my brain. But I’ll get to that in a minute.
I had been playing Diablo and Diablo 2 for a long time and had gotten a good taste of what role-playing in video games could be. Granted, neither of those titles are truly RPGs but they were enough to whet my appetite for the genre. In looking around, I stumbled onto Bioware’s Neverwinter Nights. I wish I could say that I was an old-fashioned tabletop gamer but, sadly, I was (and am) not. Still, I played through the first game and the fires were lit.
Finishing NWN 1, I wanted more and in my search, I found out about these mysterious things called persistent worlds. To say that a role-player was born is an understatement. From there, it was a natural progression to DM-led small group campaigns via Neverwinter Connections. By July of 2004, I was heavily immersed in both a persistent world and at least two small group weekly campaigns."

"Then the bottom dropped out of my world."

"In mid-August, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and to say that my world was rocked is an understatement. I struggled to maintain even a modicum of normalcy, which was difficult under the circumstances as I realized I would be facing multiple surgeries and months of chemotherapy all while trying to teach school and raise my then 2-year-old daughter. I wanted to crawl under a rock and hide, but life’s a funny thing. I grabbed onto anything that made me feel that everything wasn’t in turmoil, that maybe I had some stability even as my life spun out of control.
Neverwinter Nights became my savior in many ways. In blinding pain from surgeries or sick as a dog from chemo, I continued to play in my campaigns and on my persistent world. These were the places I was in control. I was healthy and strong. I was powerful and could save the world even if my now frail body in this world could not."

January 10, 2013

Ive followed Suzies columns since being a member of the forums and i like the way she writes> wow insperational how something as small as a videogame can be used to fight the good fight. Good health and god bless Suzie.
Post edited by ryvvik on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, I read that yesterday and left a comment. It was a very nice article.
  • Options
    atherratherr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    Thank you for the post. I Think Suzie is a great MMO analyst. I follow her posts. I was happy to hear she overcame breast cancer as she mentions. My Mother is a survivor of the illness too. Wishing her continued health, success, and hope to continue to see her posts for a long time.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cancer gets rough(I had Luekemia) heck the medicine is still effecting me and I have been off mine since April 2012 low immune system, long term side effects, Spinal Taps followed by Spinal headaches, are all to well known to me. I feel for her. I truly had one thing that helped me when I went through mine but Im guessing yall know because of my guild's name who that was. But gaming played a good bit to, it helps fight off the inevitable depression the cocktail of steroids, chemo, antibiotics, and normal medicine cause. Well I could keep rambling but Im glad whenever I hear about survivors. I hope she stays well.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]