Install Arc
Options

What kind of cleric are you

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    I would really like that the melee Cleric(well specialty in Angelic Avenger or another good path) would be also very effective.
    I may have caused a misunderstanding, what I meant was that if you want to go angelic avenger (for fly ability) going str based cleric is better. But if I have to chose a paragon path for str based cleric - it would be warpriest.

But angelic avenger gives you visage of an angel and smoke instead of legs - so it is very cool for RP purposes.

You get two points at certain level ups which must be spent on different abilities. You can thus increase str and con for plate armor. But if you are going for caster based cleric, going plate is bothersome.

But 4e is inherently balanced. So classes are not overpowered or overwhelmed. You can play with them even if they are less powerful as choice of powers for the encounter matter a lot.

Also other divines are better choice for many things. DPS- avenger. Caster - Invoker. Melee with armor - Paladin. Cleric is more like a generalized class which should be versatile.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I may have caused a misunderstanding, what I meant was that if you want to go angelic avenger (for fly ability) going str based cleric is better. But if I have to chose a paragon path for str based cleric - it would be warpriest.

But angelic avenger gives you visage of an angel and smoke instead of legs - so it is very cool for RP purposes.

You get two points at certain level ups which must be spent on different abilities. You can thus increase str and con for plate armor. But if you are going for caster based cleric, going plate is bothersome.

But 4e is inherently balanced. So classes are not overpowered or overwhelmed. You can play with them even if they are less powerful as choice of powers for the encounter matter a lot.

Also other divines are better choice for many things. DPS- avenger. Caster - Invoker. Melee with armor - Paladin. Cleric is more like a generalized class which should be versatile.
    Yeah well Warpriest or Paladin sounds like my thing if it is balanced that they are good. However you mentioned flying. I really doubt that flying will be supported in any form in this game at least during combat that players can use. I mean it not even with sorcery magic is flying supported. Well that is my guess.
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If we get a variety of Paragon paths, I really hope to see Doomsguide as an option for clerics(an other divine).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have had a lot of experience with clerics in 4e (and previous editions, but i'll focus on 4e)

1-10 classical lazer cleric (radiant servant)
    1-30 healic/messenger of peace/demigod, after DP went out
    some level 16-21 delves with str/wis cleric after the "essential patch" that was around dragon 397.

Overall my favourite experience was definitely the healic, even if it was more a controller than a real leader. The healing it could dish out was horrendously overpowered.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, I think truthseeker would be a great PP for...absolutely no reason whatsoever :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    One thing to note here is that balance (and thus power) of the classes would be different when playing the game compared to pnp. So the paths bad in pnp may end up better in the game.

So I would encourage all to choose paragon paths based on the themes rather than power - for changing power balance in the game(with patches) is much easier than changing it in pnp (getting the updated book which publishes less frequently, then fighting your group to have the book's build included in your current game).

If forsee that balance of the force in paragon would be changed a lot of time time it completely balances out due to inclusion of PvP.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    One thing to note here is that balance (and thus power) of the classes would be different when playing the game compared to pnp. So the paths bad in pnp may end up better in the game.

So I would encourage all to choose paragon paths based on the themes rather than power - for changing power balance in the game(with patches) is much easier than changing it in pnp (getting the updated book which publishes less frequently, then fighting your group to have the book's build included in your current game).

If forsee that balance of the force in paragon would be changed a lot of time time it completely balances out due to inclusion of PvP.

I agree with that. The inclusion of PvP makes balance an issue which game developers will have to handle correctly, especially when each class will have more than one paragon path to choose.

I sincerely hope, furthermore, that we'll get at least 2 classes per role. The Warpriest cleric could be defender #2. The issue is that, among those classes, the only leader (which means, but not only, "healer") is the cleric. This is why i suppose that the fifth, and unanonnuced class, could be the warlord.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I agree with that. The inclusion of PvP makes balance an issue which game developers will have to handle correctly, especially when each class will have more than one paragon path to choose.

I sincerely hope, furthermore, that we'll get at least 2 classes per role. The Warpriest cleric could be defender #2. The issue is that, among those classes, the only leader (which means, but not only, "healer") is the cleric. This is why i suppose that the fifth, and unanonnuced class, could be the warlord.

This will be done with multiple builds per class (such as devoted and warpriest cleric as off the top of my head examples.) It should allow different types of main and secondary support roles while allowing you to stay with the same class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    What my belief is (without any logical or scientific base) that it will be very easy(its not logical to call something easy which hasn't been attempted yet) to switch from multiple roles just by changing your active powers at campsites(You are logically ignoring the ability stats).
    So we should have multiple roles within any and each class.
    (p.s. shut up, spock!)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    (p.s. shut up, spock!)

Your reply is either based on an incorrect reality anchoring based on an alternate dimension from your current location or is simply highly illogical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    memworldmemworld Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think battle cleric is the way I'll go. It does make me wonder though, are we going to be the only healers at launch? Would be nice to see Bard, Warlord or Shaman with us. Are druid's considered leaders?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Druids have controller as their primary role.

Leader and striker however, are good secondary role choices.
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    I was playing lotro since beta and the most frustrating thing about it was coming home from a hard day of work and having 5/6 people ready to rock and spend 30mins to an hour looking for a healer. I think it would be a mistake having most dungeons/instances revolving around healers/clerics, but it wouldnt be DnD without one. Maybe being able to switch from healer to battle mode for clerics might be and insentive or dungeon difficulty where easy=1-3 party members or hardcore where its a full group requireing disarming traps and healing...but very rewarding.
  • Options
    felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Personally i'd be the battle cleric for solo-ability aswell as being useful in parties :)
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
  • Options
    almightysarcasmoalmightysarcasmo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not sure where it would fit in but, I really want to make a character that fits my old Pathfinder-esque Inquisitor. Using a Morningstar and a spiked gauntlet enchanted with Vampiric Touch. Probably wishful thinking but a guy can dream right?
    I am the Wishmaster

4nKjr.png
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not a problem in 4e almightysarcasmo... Since NWO looks build oriented I'd be surprised if that can be done there tho.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I dont expect to be able to replicate the old guy. Will probably do battle cleric with whatever blunt object I can get my hands on.
    I am the Wishmaster

4nKjr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I dont expect to be able to replicate the old guy. Will probably do battle cleric with whatever blunt object I can get my hands on.

AWESOME sig BTW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The basic and simple answer to the OP question is if I roll a cleric it's usually devoted cleric.

A more complex answer is that usually when I go healer I focus mainly on healing but it depends on the game mechanics and of course the difficulty of content because if I find a chance to help the DPS of the group without compromising my healing duties then I will take that opportunity almost every time.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    AWESOME sig BTW

It was a collaborated effort between my artist friend drawing the word, my cousin for the glow effects, my ideas for the name, and my amazing Paint skills to make the raincloud umbrella.
    I am the Wishmaster

4nKjr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    One of my favorite clerics:-

cleric.jpg
  • Options
    planesdrifterplanesdrifter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wis con char, hopefully there is some spells im familar with such as blade barrier implosion slay the living and destruction, gear idc whatever is there that will maximize my build end game is a different story cant wait to see
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    i like classic dnd clerics, heavily armored, somewhat melee capable, but mostly a defensive healbot that can demolish undead.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    having 5/6 people ready to rock and spend 30mins to an hour looking for a healer.

I think that the reason the cleric is being seen last of the "iconic" or "base" classes here is because they wanted to playtest the game WITHOUT a dedicated healer, and make sure it was still fun and doable. In an action based MMO, like Vindictus, or RaiderZ, or this, survivability is largely up to every individual - healers are nice, but to survive, YOU HAVE to take advantage of your OWN classes abilities. So I feel pretty sure about being able to rock and roll this game without having to wait for a healer.

Hopefully they find a good balance with the cleric, where you can add a lot to a group as a support character, but not feel like they could just as easily do it without you. And that groups can succeed without dedicated support/heal characters, but find it much more enjoyable to bring them. In an MMO where you can survive without a healer, usually playing a healer makes you feel pretty underpowered.

Clerics have a few places in DnD besides just healing tho - namely creating and destroying undead. I don't much like the way 4e handles cleric's power over the undead, but we'll see how Cryptic handles it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well, I'm going with balancing a functional combat and healing setup as seamlessly as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If you want a competitive dungeon system and pve system a dedicated healer is needed. Otherwise you just make boring and randomic experiences.

Then, most of the damage can be soaked by dodging or dynamic combat. But since it's obvious that we will have a tank, it's obvious that we'll have a supporting character too. It may work as in 4e: not only healing, but healing through damage. Not only buffing, but buffing through attacking.
    Ranncore wrote:
    Clerics have a few places in DnD besides just healing tho - namely creating and destroying undead. I don't much like the way 4e handles cleric's power over the undead, but we'll see how Cryptic handles it.

Let's say it should have not been a channel divinity power. The power, by itself, it's far more balanced than other editions' Turn Undead, actually.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    sylatrasylatra Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I prefer the type of clerics from 2nd Ed. preferably. Much more to play around with, but if I had a choice, I would be a War cleric. or an invoker to call upon protection spells. My prefered weapon is a mace.
    Lenbanner_zps30648f84.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The power, by itself, it's far more balanced than other editions' Turn Undead, actually.

I agree with that. Any insta-kill can potentially be hard for a DM in pnp to deal with in situations unforseen, and in MMOs it only gets more complicated.
  • Options
    psychotichamsterpsychotichamster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I always like to play a damage focused cleric, either a castor or melee focused one. Will clerics have the option to dual wield? I feel like I've never seen something like that even though they'd be awesome.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well you can easily dual-wield in 4e, just take the TWF feat.

The only catch is it doesn't actually benefit you a lot as a Cleric! It doesn't even rate a red mention in the Cleric's handbook.

A Hybrid Cleric/Ranger on the other hand could be built to take advantage of TWF.