test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ideas for features.

formtri108formtri108 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2012 in The Library
It would be perfect if players could create their own spells and enchant items using in game features.
--

Dragonfly Algorithm (IT Blog): http://dragonfly-algorithm.blogspot.com/
Mental Dragonfly (promo blog): http://mentaldragonfly.blogspot.com/
Chea's Journal (RP Blog): http://cheajournal.blogspot.com/
deviantART: http://neo-mahakala-108.deviantart.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by formtri108 on

Comments

• valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Eeeeeeehhhh probably not going to happen. Either the custom spells will be severely under-powered to prevent exploitation, or will be exploited and later nerfed or removed. Too hard to implement custom abilities with a MMO player base.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    formtri108 wrote: »
    It would be perfect if players could create their own spells and enchant items using in game features.

Custom things would increase bandwidth. This was discussed in a now necro-ed thread. So custom stuff would probably a bad idea for MMO. If it was Co-op, custom stuff might have been manageable but it is now an MMO so...
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Custom things would increase bandwidth. This was discussed in a now necro-ed thread. So custom stuff would probably a bad idea for MMO. If it was Co-op, custom stuff might have been manageable but it is now an MMO so...

I don't think that the extra bandwidth would be a problem. Internet connections have gotten up to par, and that's why we are nowadays seeing more and more MMOs that discard the old MMO limitations, like all the new open world action MMORPGs and the new MMOFPS.
    Custom spells are just a series of a few variables, and I doubt they would load the system much more than, say, an extra amount of customisation options.
    But then again, the main market for the game - USA - has one of the worst internet infrastructures in the world, so who knows.

Anyway, the main problem is balance. When you have a system with countless possibilities, there just isn't much you can do to balance it. Balancing is something that is not easy anyway - hell, Bethesda has taken spellcrafting out of their games and still can't even remotely balance their spells. They make SP games, so they can luckily get away (well, actually no, Skyrim is way too unbalanced even for a sp RPG) but in an MMORPG you simply can't take chances and has to stick with things that you can easily tweak if necessary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    It isn't that simple. It was explained very nicely in the old thread by someone... but I will try to say what he said though I may not be that clear.

It is an active combat game. Any kind of lag would be problematic. Putting in one feature means you have to code that information in the packet of all the players. Creating even little custom stuff leads to large amount of informations. Cryptic already has massive customization in appearance. Your connection speed does not only depend on your own connection speed - the location information for a party would mean you have to get all the information and then adjust your AI accordingly.

It was something like that, though I may not have explained properly, but if this was just an MMO it might have worked, or just had instances like DDO. But it has active combat and public fighting areas...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It isn't that simple. It was explained very nicely in the old thread by someone... but I will try to say what he said though I may not be that clear.

It is an active combat game. Any kind of lag would be problematic. Putting in one feature means you have to code that information in the packet of all the players. Creating even little custom stuff leads to large amount of informations. Cryptic already has massive customization in appearance. Your connection speed does not only depend on your own connection speed - the location information for a party would mean you have to get all the information and then adjust your AI accordingly.

It was something like that, though I may not have explained properly, but if this was just an MMO it might have worked, or just had instances like DDO. But it has active combat and public fighting areas...

What gillrmn wrote as well as there will be an item crafting system, but we have no more info at the time of this posting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • formtri108formtri108 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    All possible spells could be named. Then bandwidth increase would be spell's name (for example spell's author identifier and custom spell's number).
    --

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    All possible spells could be named. Then bandwidth increase would be spell's name (for example spell's author identifier and custom spell's number).

"That spell name is in use, please pick another."

ad infinitum
  • formtri108formtri108 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That's why Author's name is part of the spell's name.
    --

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That's why Author's name is part of the spell's name.

Let's just wait to see how they handle the crafting, then we'll have a baseline for customization.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012

Btw, I asked SS way before if we can name custom incantations related with spell and then macro them so that whenever we cast that spell the incantation will be recited in local chat (text ofc). He said that certainly it was possible to do that.

That kind of stuff can cover spell's name I think.
    edited June 2012
    Btw, I asked SS way before if we can name custom incantations related with spell and then macro them so that whenever we cast that spell the incantation will be recited in local chat (text ofc). He said that certainly it was possible to do that.

That kind of stuff can cover spell's name I think.

I thought there he was referring to naming a set up macro, but I'm in the dark if it's going to be in the game or just "possible" let alone custom spells. Thus the seeing what crafting covers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    I thought there he was referring to naming a set up macro, but I'm in the dark if it's going to be in the game or just "possible" let alone custom spells. Thus the seeing what crafting covers.

I guess there would always be some doubt to interpretations but I just went back to dig the post. So I guess its better to quote the post.
    Originally Posted by gillrmn
    Hello!

Q: Any information about flying you want to share? (Flying ability, carpet, mounts etc.?)

Nope.

EDIT:
    {Also, : Is it possible to assign macro so that whenever I cast a spell, an incantation is automatically spoken by my PC(e.g. in local chat by macro-ing a key, So whenever I press Q for Cure Light Wounds, my chracter types, "I call upon XXY deity to help my allies!" in locl chat)}

This should be possible.

Thanks a lot
    It a great game, please don't get complacent in polishing it to perfection :)
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    It would be awesome if one can make his one spells what the spell do not only name it.

best spell : time stop in nwn 1 it was the center of wizzard/sorc strategy and gameplay
    edited July 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    It would be awesome if one can make his one spells what the spell do not only name it.

best spell : time stop in nwn 1 it was the center of wizzard/sorc strategy and gameplay

I highly doubt that wish would come to fruition. Time stop would require slowing down other people's game and messing their timing too. So maybe not in a multiplayer game. Maybe single player - yes.

p.s. and such a feature would come later than hybrid class and multiclass - which means quite late (a little more than soon(r) )
    edited July 2012
    It can be an aoe stun. on an certain area you freeze every npc or char for a few seconds/turns
    edited July 2012
    It can be an aoe stun. on an certain area you freeze every npc or char for a few seconds/turns

There is a time mage in psion class - time bender i think(paragon). But I have only seen a low level one. I think when converted to MMO it will be able to haste friends and slow enemies at most. You see your companions won't like their timing to be broken by your stun. So your time powers would have to be enemy only affect (unless it is a buff).
    edited July 2012
    I rewatched the interviu made by athene and i spoted something.
    The wizard had 3 paths. what is a path in nw online and what were the paths ?

I really hope they are not like the wow talent trees
    edited July 2012
    I rewatched the interviu made by athene and i spoted something.
    The wizard had 3 paths. what is a path in nw online and what were the paths ?

I really hope they are not like the wow talent trees

I think you are mistaking powers with path. Is this thing you talking about at 07m02s of video? Then those are powers. It has been explained in FAQ part 2:-
    All characters have powers. Powers are separated into the following: At-will powers, Encounter powers, Daily powers, and Utility powers, like the 4th Edition rules:

1. At-will: At-will powers go off every attack turn and are "always available." You can use them every attack, but can only use them one time per attack. In an MMO comparison, they have no cooldown timer.

2. Encounter: Encounter powers pack more power and often incorporate special abilities linked to a class type, (like a Trickster Rogue dropping a dummy to distract enemies and make them vulnerable to more damage.) In an MMO comparison, these are cooldown powers from three to five minutes potentially.

3. Daily: "Daily" powers gain their name from the D&D books, but are not limited to just once per day. By doing class-related activities in attacks (fighters defend, wizards control, rogues strike when they have advantages, etc.) you fill a graphical "die" up with "action" points. When filled, you can unleash your "daily" power which is a devastating attack to multiple enemies. By doing class-related activities again, you can "refill" this meter again, often taking a suggested 2-3 encounters, but results may be more or fewer encounters than this. In an MMO comparison, this is considered an "Ultimate" or "Limit Break" power.

4. Utility: The Utility power is often a defense power like a fighter's block, rogue's roll or a wizard's "teleport jump" to avoid being hit. Unlike the books, this MMO power appears to also be at will or encounter instead of daily in use, but more information is needed on this.

That screen just shows which powers you will get at what level and what kind they belong to. Utility it seems is locked, so other three are shown. That is you 'pool of powers' you can use. At a time, you can choose any 6 out of all those.
    edited July 2012
    thank you very much you been quite helpfull
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    With the number of spells that already exists in DnD, i dont see the need to make custom ones, i'd be happy if we ended up with at least half the spells available in the PnP version. And i doubt we're even going to see that.
    edited July 2012
    because the archmage can tune his own spells and i allways dreamed to be an wizard/archmage b:dirtyb:dirty
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I highly doubt that wish would come to fruition. Time stop would require slowing down other people's game and messing their timing too. So maybe not in a multiplayer game. Maybe single player - yes.

p.s. and such a feature would come later than hybrid class and multiclass - which means quite late (a little more than soon(r) )

Time Stop could become something similar to the slowing affect in Diablo 3. Only a certain area is affected but still could be quite useful to a mage
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    harkin wrote: »
    With the number of spells that already exists in DnD, i dont see the need to make custom ones, i'd be happy if we ended up with at least half the spells available in the PnP version. And i doubt we're even going to see that.

I don't think customer spells would be a good idea. I mean don't get me wrong, it'd be amazing, but it just wouldn't make sense for a MMO type of game. DnD does have a plethora of spells already and I don't see even half of them making it to the game.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
    edited September 2012
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    Time Stop could become something similar to the slowing affect in Diablo 3. Only a certain area is affected but still could be quite useful to a mage

or an aoe stun, since the wizard is a controler and time stop for me is the mother of the controlling...
  • yoyoyooyoyooyoyooofohthofdooooyoyoyooyoyooyoyooofohthofdoooo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    or an aoe stun, since the wizard is a controler and time stop for me is the mother of the controlling...

why not just put it as like you get this kill yeah for mages it has the ability to freeze people in a close radius and stun them for 2 seconds but in that 2 seconds while they are stunned they cant do anything ofcourse and that would give some nice detail to mages wouldn't you think so ? a freeze / stun 2seconds with like a 5meter radius
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    Imo bg and bg2 and the the best spell sound effects of all time. Id like to hear something dark and sinister in Nw. Nwn1&2 just didn't do it for me in that department.
    edited November 2012
    4e Time Stop is an Epic Tier L 22 wizard Utility Power. It only does non combat things as shown:
    [h=1]Time Stop Wizard Utility 22[/h]Everything around you slows to a halt, frozen in time. Then, after a few moments, everything starts to speed up again, returning to normal time.
    Daily bullet.gifArcane
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: You gain two extra standard actions, whch you must use before the end of your turn. You can’t use these extra actions to make attacks.

And there have been "Feat Trees" and "Paragon Paths" (both different) shown in other screen shots before. I think you have to progress both in the Feat Tree and ht some minimum level for those PPs but I really don't know. I might have seen what was a "specialty path" instead of the strict PP or they could be one and the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just give me Meteor Shower (even if in 4e it sucks) and i'll be ok. Steal Time may be the icing on the cake.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I imagine people come up with new spells and effects to take advantage of a certain situation. In this way, custom combat abilities are completely irrational; simply a way for people to exploit the system. I mean, how many people are going to go around using a lv0 cantrip purely for rp purposes compared to using "unlimited wish" if both options were available to them?
  • felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I guess they could make spells a little customiseable by adding some appearance options to the spells for example colour like in CO or slight differences in shape without it causing too much trouble to the devs? Hmm, interesting.
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.