test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Signature & Avatar Thread

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Nice, love the latest version of the seven stars over the Moon, Gillrmn!
    Thanks I am keeping it :p (though stars are mystra style with 8 spokes instead of 4)
    some good points. Also google shortener goo.gl can be use. Also you can change fonts, if you want monospace or other fonts. Copy pasting in editing box with "Switch editor mode" enabled can also help.

@jade, why not use green neverwinter logo?
    Here:
    Green NW Logo
    p.s. its png with transparent background.
    edited October 2012
    Not the right place to post. Posted it here.
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012

The fuzzy look is far better though Jade! Especially when you're dealing with nature scenes the man made straight line just distracts the viewer indefinitely. Borders can work but if all else fails fading away will remove the juxtaposition and result in a far better appearance with minimal effort.

0.o
    o.0
    >.<

Also many of you are using the default setting of left justified text/images. If you wrap the image link with
    you'll have the image appear in the center of your posts which I personally prefer.
    You can do whatever you want, it doesn't phase me, but in case anybody didn't realize that feature existed or how to use it.

Was wondering about that for my sig... How do you "wrap."? *starts beatboxing* "Yo, my name is Jade and I like to game. I wanna play Neverwinter, not something lame..."

"Yo! Word to yo Mudder!"
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
    edited October 2012
    Sadness, b:sad apparently I am not allowed to use alignment or BB codes in general. No central aligned sig for me...

And I kept a red Neverwinter to kinda make it stand out, not eye appealing? Would a green one work better?
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    edited October 2012
    Sadness, b:sad apparently I am not allowed to use alignment or BB codes in general. No central aligned sig for me...

And I kept a red Neverwinter to kinda make it stand out, not eye appealing? Would a green one work better?
    Center should work did you try using
    (CENTER)(/CENTER)(square bracket instead of curly)

Also its up to you, I thought you wanted it all green :p

And juxtaposition is another way to say placement of different pictures in same sig. Sometimes a small border remains and the two different cuts in a pix stand out.
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Center should work did you try using
    (CENTER)(/CENTER)(square bracket instead of curly)

Also its up to you, I thought you wanted it all green :p

All green it is once I get home.

And tried the center command and got a fat, "BB code not allowed!" message, bummer!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    All green it is once I get home.

And tried the center command and got a fat, "BB code not allowed!" message, bummer!
    These sigpics are how they used to be before the forums merged. Maybe in time they will phase out the new sig placement system and bring back the old one - hopefully old avatars too ... one can hope.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Juxtaposition - big word meaning things next to each other often in contrast.
    In this case a sharp line next to a nature scene results a visual contradiction.

I normally try to dumb myself down a bit for the average person but it doesn't always work out. Even this explanation is probably confusing haha.
    Just wait til somebody asks me to talk about computers. I'll start throwing all sorts of technological terms around...my poor brother probably had SLI Described to him 50 different ways while we installed his second graphics card because he wanted to know more than "It's two graphics cards working together" but less than the in-depth technical detail I spew.

In any case "wrapping" is simply a term used to describe using BBCode.
    I'll give you an example.

[CENTER.][B.][I.]HELLO WORLD![/I][/B][/CENTER]

HELLO WORLD! is "wrapped by the BBCode commands. Basically [] opens a command and then [/] closes a command and you "wrap" the text with open and close commands wherever you want.

HELLO WORLD! Is an example of using different layers of wrapping.
    [I.][COLOR="Pink".]H[/COLOR][U.][COLOR="Magenta".]E[/COLOR][COLOR="Red".]L[/COLOR][B.][COLOR="DarkRed".]L[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrchid".]O[/COLOR][/I] WOR[/U]LD![/B]

Now if I haven't lost you yet you are able to use BBCode, in fact you did just two posts ago and likely didn't realize it.
    This is what your signature should look like if all you want is a centered image:

[CENTER.][IMG.]<your image url>[/IMG][/CENTER]

Simply remove the period in the commands and it should work fine.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm, you guys aren't able to use the center commands? Very odd.

I'll bring that up to the powers that be because there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to. I am able to but that might have to do with my moderation permissions...

But how come you are able to then Gill?
    edited October 2012
    All the BBCode is belongs to us.

But how come you are able to then Gill?

I have no idea at all. Quite a while back, a lot before mods were announced, I opened up my signature box and lo! behold! There were links and stuff. It may be...

I have no idea at all.
    edited October 2012
    OK I brought this up with Melanderi and she's getting quite the list of things for the web team to look into.

First of all I can't guarantee normal users will gain access to all signature BBCode commands. There may be a reason why some users can and some users can't but those of us which are not part of the web team aren't aware of any. I'll just say the results will be fair.

Secondly this and the other issues are being worked on. Sadly it may take some time but trust me they are actively working on improving the forums.
    edited October 2012
    Secondly this and the other issues are being worked on. ...
    Any spoilers on the other issues?
    Polls? Smileys? Post count and other stats? Button to report spam? all of them?

EDIT:

You can also store signatures in core connect. E.g. this is direct link from core connect's avatar itself.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Any spoilers on the other issues?
    Polls? Smileys? Post count and other stats? Button to report spam? all of them?

All I can offer you is what I already said, but Truth referenced River quite well. ;)

Other than that, just know that everyone's opinions, ideas and suggestions on such things are heard.
    edited October 2012
    This is a copy of my BB SIG "permissions"

Allow Basic BB Code No
    Allow Color BB Code No
    Allow Size BB Code No
    Allow Font BB Code No
    Allow Alignment BB Code No
    Allow List BB Code No
    Allow Link BB Code No
    Allow HTML No
    Allow Image BB Code No
    Allow Code BB Code No
    Allow PHP BB Code No
    Allow HTML BB Code No
    Allow Quote BB Code No
    Allow Smilies Yes
    Can Upload Images for Signature Yes
    Can Upload Animated GIF for Signature No

Sadness b:cry

Easy to be green? Yes
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    All the BBCode is belongs to us.

I have no idea at all. Quite a while back, a lot before mods were announced, I opened up my signature box and lo! behold! There were links and stuff. It may be...

I have no idea at all.

He's just Netherlands Special...
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The original post has been updated. Please note the red "update." I'll post again on this as needed. Thanks!
    edited October 2012
    Hello Sig experts! and hopefully GIMP adepts!,

Thanks to Gillmn, using GIMP has been an awesome program to make my sigs come alive!

GIMP question: after I am done with a sig and say I want to change an item that I have anchored, such as the red neverwinter logo in the most current sig, is there any way to ungroup or unanchor the objects in a project after it has been saved?

I couldn't find an "ungroup" command so I just built the sig from scratch again which took all of like 3 min since I am a hoarder and keep every single little component of everything I've built so far.

Just wondering if there is an easier way to modify older projects other than rebuilding them from scratch with GIMP

Thanks!

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012

GIMP question: after I am done with a sig and say I want to change an item that I have anchored, such as the red neverwinter logo in the most current sig, is there any way to ungroup or unanchor the objects in a project after it has been saved?

I couldn't find an "ungroup" command so I just built the sig from scratch again which took all of like 3 min since I am a hoarder and keep every single little component of everything I've built so far.

Just wondering if there is an easier way to modify older projects other than rebuilding them from scratch with GIMP

Thanks!

J

Gimp uses layers instead of grouping as it is a raster image editor (like photoshop).

Layers are basically various pictures lying over each other having transparent areas, semi-transparent areas and stacked on top of each other. You can change their sequence of stacking or you can also change their overlay modes. A simple tutorial explaining layers is here. This is about layer modes.

Not all image formats accept layers. For example, png jpg don't. To export them you have to flatten the image(Imagine a barbarian hammering them so the different pictures stick together).

So after you save in XCF format, try to save it in different layers. That way you have grouping. A few easier ways to get things done is by using script fu plugins for your particular version.

Anchoring is separate thing altogether. When you paste a layer on an image, you can anchor it to that particular layer (different way of saying sticking on that layer) or you can press "New layer" and that pasted layer will become a layer in itself instead of getting anchored.

I use upto 20-30 layers every-time I make anything - even avatar or signature. That way I can test out different things. Another great way is to select things by using various options. Path to selection, alpha to selection and various ways to intersect using wand and color select with threshold levels are great ways to select out the layers. There is also color to alpha option but it will all come to you slowly. Until then, you can always ask specific questions here.

Grouping of layers is possible
  • adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Just post some details on how you want it to be.

Heya Gil. I have a "general concept" that I made using a web based signature maker. I tried to attach it here (if it works). If you're comfortable, we can take the conversation into email so we don't steal this thread completely.

I can PM you my email address if you are ok with helping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    Heya Gil. I have a "general concept" that I made using a web based signature maker. I tried to attach it here (if it works). If you're comfortable, we can take the conversation into email so we don't steal this thread completely.

I can PM you my email address if you are ok with helping.

Just press foundry story link in my signature and press Email me from left hand side tab, at bottom.

I saw the attachment, so just let me know what changes you want to it or if you want it to b redone.
    edited October 2012
    Just press foundry story link in my signature and press Email me from left hand side tab, at bottom.

I saw the attachment, so just let me know what changes you want to it or if you want it to b redone.

Funnily enough, I can't see the attachment. Odd.

I'll email you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012

email sent
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jenny867jenny867 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited October 2012
    Awww man! Everybody's signatures are looking so awesome! I haven't been around much been a bit to busy. You all seem to be doing some amazing work! This makes me want to set aside some free time to spend working on my Neverwinter projects. Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    email sent
    Link and link
    Let me know what all you need changed.

EDIT: better one
    and
    this
    edited October 2012
    Link.

Let me know what all you need changed.

Nice work as usual!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Check your PM for something regarding layers in GIMP.
    edited October 2012
    This is for Ryvvik, if he sees it.
    edited October 2012
    Hello Sig experts! and hopefully GIMP adepts!,

Thanks to Gillmn, using GIMP has been an awesome program to make my sigs come alive!

Thanks!

J
    I either always save a new file version before flattening any layers together. That, or I copy all the layers and paste a second copy of them, then hide them, and then flatten the first copy. This way, I always have a copy of the layers and pieces that I used before flattening them for whatever reason. Once flattened, you cannot undo it unless the action is still stored in memory (Redo / Undo). You'd have to graphically edit such apart manually.
    edited October 2012
    I either always save a new file version before flattening any layers together. That, or I copy all the layers and paste a second copy of them, then hide them, and then flatten the first copy. This way, I always have a copy of the layers and pieces that I used before flattening them for whatever reason. Once flattened, you cannot undo it unless the action is still stored in memory (Redo / Undo). You'd have to graphically edit such apart manually.

This is very important to do and it is the only way to keep layers. One the layers are flattened they are gone forever unless you rebuild them.

And you'll never know when you might need to access the layers again. I can't tell you how many times I've had a spelling mistake or something in a picture I've made which I didn't realize until after I 'completed' the project.
    edited October 2012
    In the new GIMP, you don't have to worry about it anymore. You cannot "Save" a GIMP file in a format not xcf anymore. You save your file as ".xcf" and then use "Export..." to export to other formats.

You can export the file as png or jpg while not saving the file, that is possible, but the file with layers still remains in GIMP until you close it and choose not to save.

EDIT: Also in GIMP, you can always unflatten the image by Ctrl+Z since quite a few builds back. However, if you close the pic and then open it after you have flattened, you can't (obviously :) )

EDIT: Also one more thing, "Menu -> Windows -> Single window Mode" is the hot addition to new windows build.