test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Druid-like Utilities

aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
We've seen in videos what some of the "get out of jail" utility powers are (wizards teleport, rogues dodge, etc.) I was wondering how this might visually look for druids or other primal classes and came up with a few thoughts. These would all propably require a reasonable cooldown

Buried Underground
When pressing Shift, a mass of roots rips up from below the druid's feet and yanks him underground for 2 to 3 seconds. During that time he's effectively unassailable but cannot himself do anything until those few seconds have passed.

Insect Cloud
When you press shift, what was once a humanoid explodes into a cloud of insects (or maybe some other thematically appropriate swarm/cloud--sand for desert druids, for instance) that reconstitutes into your character a few seconds later right where you were sanding. The attack you "dodged" just goes harmlessly through the swarm.

Animal Escape
Based on the way the wizard's teleport looks in the videos floating around (I'm assuming this would just be a variation on the same tech) it would be neat when you press Shift if the character's appearance poofs into some random small animal that scurries or flies a short distance away, then poofs back into your druid. It would be a very, very quick transformation though, considering how quick those wizard teleports look to be.

Tree'd!
When you press shift your character becomes covered with a bark and his body twists into a roughly tree-like shape for a few seconds. Similar to Buried Undeground he remains unassailable and immobile during that time before turning back.

Just Takes It And Doesn't Care
Thinking about the barbarian and how the guardian fighter's utility appears to work it might be entertaining if a barbarian's utility had the character just stand defiantly and take a blow without breaking a sweat out of sheer tenacity.
Post edited by aavarius on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I particularily like Insect Cloud and Animal Escape.
    aavarius wrote: »
    Insect Cloud
    When you press shift, what was once a humanoid explodes into a cloud of insects (or maybe some other thematically appropriate swarm/cloud--sand for desert druids, for instance) that reconstitutes into your character a few seconds later right where you were sanding. *The attack you "dodged" just goes harmlessly through the swarm.

Animal Escape
    Based on the way the wizard's teleport looks in the videos floating around (I'm assuming this would just be a variation on the same tech) it would be neat when you press Shift if the character's appearance poofs into some random small animal that scurries or flies a short distance away, then poofs back into your druid. It would be a very, very quick transformation though, considering how quick those wizard teleports look to be.

Here is something I though of:

Nature's Balance
    You become enveloped by the power of raw nature, absorbing all incoming damage for a short amount of time. Damage absorbed by Nature's Balance heals the Druid for 10% of the damage absorbed and deals 10% of the damage absorbed back at the attacker while Nature's Balance is in effect. While Nature's Balance is in effect, the Druid is unable to perform any other actions aside from walking. The Druid's Movement Speed is reduced to 50% while they focus their Balance with Nature.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    These could be very cool visually, but I particularly like Buried Underground and Insect cloud.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    These could be very cool visually, but I particularly like Buried Underground and Insect cloud.

Insect cloud is GUN
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Insect cloud is GUN

What does this acronym stand for in this usage? The acronyms I know of, don't seem to fit.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    What does this acronym stand for in this usage? The acronyms I know of, don't seem to fit.

Just an Aussie term for Top Idea, the best, awesome, fantastic.

Gun: good at something, or the best at whatever it is

gun- adjective: To be gun at something is to be very good or the best at something
    edited October 2012

gun- adjective: To be gun at something is to be very good or the best at something

Ahh, I see! Thank you.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012

I like that word, that's awesome. Though beast would be more thematic in this thread. Anyhow, for another idea the druid might escape through roots into a nearby tree. I know this is a real ability, but I don't remember what it's called. And it doesn't have to be an actual tree, could just be more roots, or a tree that appears due to the ability. I know it'd be problematic and challenging to be able to travel to whichever tree happens to be nearby, so making some roots or tree "appear" would work. I loved when Pikel and Ivan traveled that way, so this should TOTALLY be an ability druids get. I'd SOOOO play a druid if they did this.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    I like that word, that's awesome. Though beast would be more thematic in this thread. Anyhow, for another idea the druid might escape through roots into a nearby tree. I know this is a real ability, but I don't remember what it's called. And it doesn't have to be an actual tree, could just be more roots, or a tree that appears due to the ability. I know it'd be problematic and challenging to be able to travel to whichever tree happens to be nearby, so making some roots or tree "appear" would work. I loved when Pikel and Ivan traveled that way, so this should TOTALLY be an ability druids get. I'd SOOOO play a druid if they did this.
    I only have one tiny problem with that. What happens when there's no trees around, like underground? (Otherwise, I think it'd look great)

Part of me wants a cloud of butterflies for my insect cloud. Or doves or cherry blossoms. Something really theatrical. It's like this, but...without the dead body.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I only have one tiny problem with that. What happens when there's no trees around, like underground? (Otherwise, I think it'd look great)

Part of me wants a cloud of butterflies for my insect cloud. Or doves or cherry blossoms. Something really theatrical. It's like this, but...without the dead body.

Well obviously based on his location and his profession he gets stoned.

*S&P appear dragging the poster off for "drug related references" while the poster screams "PETRIFICATION YOU IDIOTS, PETRIFICATION!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012

I think you missed that part friend. If there are no trees around, then they could make them show up some distance away simply for graphic sake. Alas, I hadn't thought about dungeons, buildings, etc. I guess roots would work equally well though, have them simply grow out of the ground where you are and wrap around you, you disappear, and then have them come back up and you re-appear wherever you happened to be pointing. They have roots come out in most games for spells that snare you, like LoL, and I can't see why they can't simply use it here. But that bird thing, hell yes. I could enjoy my character doing that all freakin' day long.
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ah, I see it now that you've pointed it out. You did say roots! Neeevermind.
  • torgaardtorgaard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Things from 4E:

Nature's Growth - Basically a thicket of vines, creepers, and plants erupts from the ground in an area and slows (Difficult Terrain in 4E terms) your foes. In 4E it's a Range 10, area burst 1; so it'd be ideal for targeting an area on the ground with the reticule we're seeing in the videos and having it spring to life at that spot. It's actually sort of a "Class Feature" of the Protector Druid in 4E, so it's a big part of who that class is. Seems perfect.

Warding Wind - Is a 2nd level Utility Power. It creates a whirling cyclone around you that can repel your foes when they attack you (sort of), and also provides a little defensive bonus.

Barkskin - A classic! No Druid should ever leave home (the forest?) without it. A protective layer of bark suddenly appears over your body and armor, giving you a bonus to your Armor Class.
    edited October 2012
    I thought of Barkskin as well, however since that had been a Cleric-based spell for decades, I figured it would continue to be such and not necessarily a druid only ability. I'm unaware how it functions in 4e. I'd rather see this as a Cleric Buff rather than a Druid Only ability. I'm not ooposed to it being a Druid special power though. After-all, it truly is befitting!
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I thought of Barkskin as well, however since that had been a Cleric-based spell for decades, I figured it would continue to be such and not necessarily a druid only ability. I'm unaware how it functions in 4e. I'd rather see this as a Cleric Buff rather than a Druid Only ability. I'm not ooposed to it being a Druid special power though. After-all, it truly is befitting!

4e Phb2 page 86 Druid:
    Level 2 Utility Evocation:
    A protective layer of tree bark covers you body and armor
    Encounter - Primal
    Minor Action Ranged 5
    Target You or one Ally
    Effect:Until the end of your next turn, the target gains a power bonus to AC equal to you Constitution modifer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    While this discussion is slightly interesting I am personally interested if this game will have the Druid Class at release. That is uncertain.

One of many disappointments with Guild Wars 2 was that there was no Druid Class. My favorite characters in WOW was a Hunter(Ranger in DD) and a Druid. I am very interested to play Cleric also, but in WOW I was not interested in Clerics since they used cloth armor.